PDA

View Full Version : Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities

DarrinS
10-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/why-are-liberal-cities-so-unaffordable/382045/

boutons_deux
10-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/why-are-liberal-cities-so-unaffordable/382045/

simplistic, but that's how you rednecks love your misunderstandings.

Winehole23
10-30-2014, 08:35 AM
I doubt DarrinS read past the lede, but the thesis seems to be well-supported in the body of the article.

did you read it, boutons?

boutons_deux
10-30-2014, 09:00 AM
I doubt DarrinS read past the lede, but the thesis seems to be well-supported in the body of the article.

yes, I read it, and it's pretty good as far as it goes, but it doesn't go far enough to the Big Picture, of which je suis l'artiste sans pareil.

Winehole23
10-30-2014, 09:23 AM
the big picture being what, that even big city liberals tend to protect class privilege?

DarrinS
10-30-2014, 09:23 AM

I read the entire thing. So, go fuck yourself.

Winehole23
10-30-2014, 09:25 AM
please, do share your thoughts then

DarrinS
10-30-2014, 09:26 AM

Seriously. Go fuck yourself.

Winehole23
10-30-2014, 09:27 AM
nothing to say beyond dumping the link? very typical.

DarrinS
10-30-2014, 09:43 AM
nothing to say beyond dumping the link? very typical.

Your first words were about me. very typical

Winehole23
10-30-2014, 09:52 AM
swatting you and boutons at once. it was a twofer.

there's still nothing in this thread to indicate you have anything to say about your own post.

Spurminator
10-30-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't doubt that liberal restrictions on development play a role, but the "liberal" metros discussed here are highly desirable places to live. Regardless of politics, more people would rather live in San Francisco, Boston or Orange County than in Camden, San Jose, or Wilmington Delaware. Naturally, one would expect costs to be higher in those markets based on demand.

Winehole23
10-30-2014, 10:26 AM
market forces?

bah, it's the damn libs and their hypocritical lip service to social levelling that's to blame.

baseline bum
10-30-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't doubt that liberal restrictions on development play a role, but the "liberal" metros discussed here are highly desirable places to live. Regardless of politics, more people would rather live in San Francisco, Boston or Orange County than in Camden, San Jose, or Wilmington Delaware. Naturally, one would expect costs to be higher in those markets based on demand.

Orange County is pretty red

boutons_deux
10-30-2014, 11:00 AM
the big picture being what, that even big city liberals tend to protect class privilege?

sure, the real warfare in USA isn't left vs right, that's a smokescreen, distraction, for the real war, which Wealthy Class vs Non-Wealthy Class, class warfare.

The Wealthy class is winning, in fact, has won, is now just mopping up the remains, going after taxpayer $Ts in public schools and pension funds.

boutons_deux
10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Most of cities that are the most expensive to live in are so because the DEMAND is there, not because they are BLUE or RED.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/naomishavin/2014/08/11/the-most-conservative-and-most-liberal-cities-in-america/

... the most conservative are relative small cities, happen to be away from the coasts, while the most liberal are the really big cities and big metros areas.

smaller cities in isolated areas (no metro agglomeration) have plenty of SUPPLY to meet real estate demand so the prices are lower, NOT because it's a RED city. Do you think RED real estate developers would sell for less because they are RED or because demand wasn't there for higher prices?

Spurminator
10-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Funny/relevant... via Reddit

http://i.imgur.com/slJuBSN.png

baseline bum
10-30-2014, 05:17 PM

Should have looked up 99 Cent Store to see the concentration around Richmond and Vallejo tbh

DarrinS
10-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Separated by det Jim Crow bridge

Agloco
10-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Seriously. Go fuck yourself.

Salty.

boutons_deux
10-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Orange County is pretty red

south of LA is red, LA + north is blue, very roughly

Dirk Oneanddoneski
10-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Beta cuck liberals might buzz Jamal into their gated community so they can gobble up all that Nˇgger jizz but they're not trying to live by Jamal and his homiez tbh

howbouthemspurs
10-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Beta cuck liberals might buzz Jamal into their gated community so they can gobble up all that Nˇgger jizz but they're not trying to live by Jamal and his homiez tbh

Darwinism will find you! :toast

Cry Havoc
11-01-2014, 01:56 AM
San Francisco is exorbitantly expensive for four reasons:

1. Everyone wants to fucking live here. It's one of the most beautiful places to live in the U.S. with one of the best climates you'll find anywhere. 80s in the summer, 50s in the winter.

2. NIMBY asshats that do everything they can to prevent additional housing construction in SF proper.

3. SF is a tiny city, by ANY stretch of the imagination. It's 900,000+ people crammed into an area that's only ~40 square miles. 40. That's ridiculous. LA is obviously a lot more populated, but it's over 10 times the area.

4. Perhaps less of a factor, but squatters who sit on rent controlled apartments and pay $700 for an apartment that costs a new family moving in $4000 per month.

Shocking, people want to live in left-leaning cities. I wonder why that is?