PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: 'Solid' Chris Kaman precisely what Trail Blazers needed

tlongII
10-30-2014, 09:22 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2014/10/solid_chris_kaman_anchors_trail_blazers_bench_in_o .html

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width620/img/blazers_impact/photo/16212996-mmmain.jpeg
Trail Blazers center Chris Kaman scores over Oklahoma City's Serge Ibaka during the fourth quarter of Portland's 106-89 win on opening night of the 2014-15 season.

Chris Kaman's debut with the Trail Blazers wasn't flashy.

LaMarcus Aldridge scored 27 points, Nicolas Batum had a great second half and Wesley Matthews hit five threes as Portland got a season opening win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.

While Kaman didn't stand out in his debut, he was exactly what Portland needed Wednesday night.

"He's solid," Aldridge said.

Solid is precisely what the Blazers depend on from Kaman this season. He was steady and versatile finishing with 12 points on 6-for-10 shooting and 6 rebounds in 22 minutes off the bench.

"I just try to be effective and efficient as I can," Kaman said. "My job is to come off the bench this year and be as efficient as possible and that's what I'm trying to do."

Now in his in twelfth season, Kaman says he isn't caught up in his scoring totals. He signed with Portland this offseason for a chance to be a contributor on a winning team.

"If I'm going to score two points or no points or sit down I care. I really just want to win. I've been on teams where you score a bunch of points and you lose," he said. "At the end of the day if you lose it doesn't matter. It's about winning and that's what happened tonight."

Kaman played alongside Aldridge and paired with 7-footer Robin Lopez. He didn't dazzle, but showed he can play with either starter and add the frontline depth the Blazers have lacked.

"He just brings that wide body down low that wants to run into people, that wants to play a little dirty down there," Aldridge said. "He's great for us, because he rebounds well, he's another post-up threat when I'm out of the game. So he's going to be great for us down the stretch."

On a night where All-Star point guard Damian Lillard struggled, going to scoreless in the first half, Kaman provided enough scoring punch to keep Portland within striking distance.

It wasn't the type of night that wins 6th Man of the Year awards, but it was the reliable performance that Portland will need the rest of the season if its going to contend in the powerful Western Conference.

"I thought I was in decent positions most of the time," Kaman said. "I'm just trying to feel my way through this a little bit still. We're going to get there."

At least in game one, Kaman looked like exactly what Blazers need.

hehateme
10-30-2014, 11:34 AM
holy shit man, blow your wad on the 2nd day?