PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article - 10/29/14

ElNono
10-31-2014, 12:28 PM
After a party like that, you want to be the champs again

http://bucket1.clanacion.com.ar/anexos/fotos/70/manu-ginobili-1964370w620.jpg

What a special night. It's the fourth time in my career that I'm fortunate enough to experience something like that. I couldn't exactly remember the sensations on such an emotional moment. There are moments that move you, when they show the video on the big screen, when you touch the ring for the first time, when the new banner is revealed... They're moments when fans go crazy, and you feel it. You can sense a different environment than if you were watching the ceremony alone. With 19.000 people, your family watching everything, your teammates that went through the same thing, the effect multiplies. It was a fantastic night. For me this whole thing is great because it helps to recharge batteries. After a party like that, you want to be the champ again 10 minutes after stepping back into the court. You want to eat your rival alive. It's like that.

Nevertheless, you have to quickly lower a gear, put your feet on the ground, calm down, but it helps to get you started, it motivates you in a different way. Because the first game of the new season could be not that special, even though this time it was spectacular. And especially against a team that we have an important rivalry, that took us to 7 games during the last season's playoffs. Besides, Dallas is also a favorite because they reloaded pretty well. There was a combination of circumstances that made it a special day. It also helped that I could play well for the first time this season, so it was a great start, there was a playoff atmosphere out there.

The ceremony closes a circle: we won the championship, we celebrated, during the summer you see what you achieved looking at some clips, but when you start the new season, there's a closure and a start of a new cycle marked with the ball going up in the air again. In that action a new race starts, with everything starting from the beginning again. We don't start with a 20-2 record because we're the champions, we all start from the same starting spot. And so a new season starts, loaded with difficulties where you fight through them trying to achieve again what you did last season.

http://bucket2.clanacion.com.ar/anexos/fotos/71/manu-ginobili-1964371w310.jpg

We are aware it's not easy to repeat the production we displayed in the Finals against Miami, but we don't feel the pressure to play like that again. I even think there will be some teams that will try to play the way we did. They realized that such a style of play can win games. But we have the advantage that we know we can do it, even though we're aware it will be difficult to reach that level of execution we've seen in the Finals. It's just that we did everything almost perfectly. The good thing is we know we can get there. Now we're far away from that, even though against Dallas we played a lot better than expected, we have a long ways to go. The objective is to reach the level we shown in the Finals against Miami. When we think we're playing well, I'm sure we're going to watch video of the Finals and realize we're still away from reaching that level. That's why reaching that objective is a beautiful challenge. Our objective isn't to play like that in November, but to be able to do it in April. Now we have to focus on getting back our injured guys (Leonard, Splitter and Mills), because we miss them and we're going to miss them until they're back. Perhaps with Patty Mills is different, because we knew we wouldn't have him back until January, but Tiago and Kawhi were players we expected to have, and they're fundamental to our team.

The good thing is that we always have the tools to do what we need to do. Duncan was fantastic, he had a moment during the 2nd half where he put up a basketball clinic out there. He's not the fastest, he might not be the best pick and roll defender right now or might not be able to jump high enough for a block, but you know he'll be where he needs to be. With his fundamentals and his big body he has a huge advantage out there. Having a guy like that on the floor is just a guarantee of great production on both ends. He was impeccable last season, so 4 extra months haven't changed him much. He's one of our most important weapons.

http://share.gifyoutube.com/y0oDo5.gif

Luckily, it was a good game for me too, because I was kind of kicking the can forward before the debut. It's true I had too many turnovers and missed shots during the preseason. Perhaps it was the emotional charge of the debut, I don't know, but it helped me modify that. Because I've been practicing pretty well to be down on those categories. And truth be told, in that context, it was more likely I would do better against Dallas, than in the prior games. Sooner or later that was going to change and fortunately it happened when the wins matter. I don't take this as the new standard either, at all. I played a good game after some not so good ones.

Everything helps in this new process we started, because Ettore Messina is now with is, who is somebody that watched the Finals from outside the group, that understands the game very well, that battled a thousand battles, and that can gives us an alternative look, not the usual look from NBA people that are submerged in that world. He's a coach that has a lot of years being the top coach in FIBA, that coached Euroleague, that coached in many countries. I'm sure he'll be a great addition to the team, where we're looking for the ideal chemistry between what Pop always gives us and what Ettore can bring. They knew each other previously to this experience but they never worked together before. They're feeling each other out and trying to make us play the best we can. The good thing is that both are winners and have a lot of experience. I'm sure between the two they can make us a stronger team. And the same thing can happen with Becky Hammon, because it's also an extra look. She played a different kind of basketball, has a different vision and was a great player. The more eyes you add to look at something, the better odds you're going to find a solution.

It will be a long and difficult season. Everybody is going after the championship and each Conference will have a lot of competition. On the East there were more drastic changes, especially on two teams: Chicago and Cleveland. The Bulls with Rose and Gasol have rebuilt a strong team and Cleveland, headed by Lebron, has a cast of characters that impresses. It's possible that they dominate the scene and Indiana take a step back, unlike last season. Indiana now has more work to do, because they let go an important player like Lance Stephenson and lost another crucial player in Paul George with an injury. It won't be easy for Luis' team, they're going to have to reorganize the team and I'm sure they'll be favorites to get a playoff spot, battle it out in the playoffs, but I don't know if they're clear candidates to play the Conference Final like last season.

On our side, the West, there weren't that many changes, and it will be incredibly difficult. Oklahoma, despite they lost Durant for a month, it's always a favorite because they have a lot of talent and athleticism that's over the top. Portland has a very solid team, Houston and Dallas are very strong, with an extra year of experience and coming from some bruises that will make them grow. Phoenix is growing and Golden State is always a spicy team that can beat anybody at any time. Unlike the East, where the fight will apparently be between 4 teams, on the West everything is even and very tough. We'll try to match last season's record, but it won't be easy at all.

-------------

Original article in Spanish here:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1739794-despues-de-una-fiesta-asi-queres-volver-a-ser-campeon-a-los-10-minutos

dabom
10-31-2014, 12:43 PM
:lobt2:

10-31-2014, 01:09 PM
:lol leastern conference

superbigtime
10-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Manu was jazzed.

Phenomanul
10-31-2014, 01:57 PM
thanks ElNono... :tu

I absolutely love that Manu and Parker are so candid... they make up for the fact that Duncan is so introspectively stoic (and not one to frequently share context such as this - and apparently Kawhi has the same demeanor)...

dabom
10-31-2014, 01:58 PM
I have to ask. Are these voluntary or does Pop make them do it?

ElNono
10-31-2014, 02:00 PM
I have to ask. Are these voluntary or does Pop make them do it?

AFAIK, he is getting paid to write some columns throughout the season for the ARG newspaper.

dabom
10-31-2014, 02:05 PM
AFAIK, he is getting paid to write some columns throughout the season for the ARG newspaper.

Cool beans.

BillMc
10-31-2014, 02:15 PM
"You want to eat your rival alive."

:bobo

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2014, 04:24 PM
So cool of him to hold Timmy's rings for him :)

DPG21920
10-31-2014, 04:27 PM
:lmao Manu calling out Tim's PnR defense decline