PDA

View Full Version : No contract extension for Kawhi

Southwest Texas Fan
10-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Kawhi Leonard and the Spurs have ended contract extension talks, meaning he will explore restricted free agency after the 2014-15 season, Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reports.
Oct 31 2014, 1:39 PMRotowire

TheWriter
10-31-2014, 02:21 PM
There's already a thread for this topic, attention whore.

Brunodf
10-31-2014, 02:21 PM
Thank God they didn't overreact and paid him the max

Southwest Texas Fan
10-31-2014, 02:23 PM
There's already a thread for this topic, attention whore.

Then don't click on the thread.

Spur|n|Austin
10-31-2014, 02:25 PM

Agreed - it makes complete sense to see how he plays this season, and also see if he can stay healthy before breaking the bank. Plus the future salary cap increase is only going to benefit both parties here.

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 04:00 PM

Unless Leonard blows out his ACL he's getting every penny of the max. This was about using his rookie scale cap hit to open up cap space to rebuild if Duncan and/or Ginobili retire at the end of the season. Then the Spurs could go over the cap to give Leonard a max deal.

objective
10-31-2014, 04:12 PM
His agent fired a shot with the threat of a scenario where Kawhi gets to do the Parsons opt out. He's a broke agent with one client who could make the agent enough to pay his rent on time, but the spurs done messed with his money.

Mark in Austin
10-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Unless Leonard blows out his ACL he's getting every penny of the max. This was about using his rookie scale cap hit to open up cap space to rebuild if Duncan and/or Ginobili retire at the end of the season. Then the Spurs could go over the cap to give Leonard a max deal.

Jesus Christ. Don't you know by now that rational thought and logic have no place when spurfan gets all panicky?

Brunodf
10-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Maybe he will, but there is no reason to give him the max right now, lets see if he can stay healthy and perform at high level during the entire season first...

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Maybe he will, but there is no reason to give him the max right now, lets see if he can stay healthy and perform at high level during the entire season first...

Kawhi Leonard is a max player under this collective bargaining agreement. Anything less than 4 years at max and he walks, which he should do if the Spurs won't pay him market value.

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 04:51 PM
LOL Klay Thompson just got a $17.5 million a season deal and people think Leonard won't get that kind of money? :lol

cjw
10-31-2014, 04:56 PM
LOL Klay Thompson just got a $17.5 million a season deal and people think Leonard won't get that kind of money? :lol

But but but he torched us in that one playoff game!

The Warriors have officially locked in a team that maxes out as a WCF team (if the shooters get hot). Stinks for their fans, though they've still got the Giants. Their only hope is to trick someone into trading them an upgrade over Lee for Lee+Barnes, but not sure that deal's there anymore.

Brunodf
10-31-2014, 05:09 PM
You know that 17 mil in Cali= 12-13 mil in Texas right

vander
10-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Contract year FTW

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Where did you get that horseshit from son?

TheWriter
10-31-2014, 05:33 PM

That makes zero fucking sense.

TheyCallMePro
10-31-2014, 05:34 PM

Seriously. I don't care who else gets max contracts throughout the league. Kawhi is simply quality role player and should be paid like one. This max contract talk is absurd.

Glad the Spurs have enough sense to see it too. As Shaq said on TNT after last game vs the Mavs: "It doesn't matter who plays for the Spurs, it's how they play, not who they play."

TXstbobcat
10-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Where did you get that horseshit from son?

The standard of living is a lot more expensive in California compared to Texas.

dabom
State tax too.

baseline bum
Seriously. I don't care who else gets max contracts throughout the league. Kawhi is simply quality role player and should be paid like one. This max contract talk is absurd.

Glad the Spurs have enough sense to see it too. As Shaq said on TNT after last game vs the Mavs: "It doesn't matter who plays for the Spurs, it's how they play, not who they play."

LOL Shaq is a retard and Leonard will be paid market value.

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 05:37 PM

And better too.

dabom
10-31-2014, 05:37 PM

He says that shit as backhand swipes at Tim Duncan's career.

TheWriter
10-31-2014, 05:38 PM

So then, why would the contract be LESS in Texas if the COL is higher in California?

TheWriter
10-31-2014, 05:39 PM
And better too.

Ha.

TheWriter
10-31-2014, 05:41 PM

Change your name to TheyCallMeRetarded.

vander
10-31-2014, 05:42 PM

I think you mean cost of living/basket of goods

spurs1990
10-31-2014, 05:46 PM
So then, why would the contract be LESS in Texas if the COL is higher in California?
He's saying 30k in San Antonio gets you a lot more than 30k in the Bay Area.

His numbers may be off but the point is valid.

I know as far as state income tax these guys are charged by every state they play in so that may not be a great factor.

r0drig0lac
10-31-2014, 05:48 PM

bs

Biernutz
10-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Marc Cuban could offer him a Chandler Parsons type of contract. 2 years at max with the last year
as a players option. That means he is a free agent after 2 years with no compensation to the Spurs.
They are rolling the dice on him but did the Spurs see something in him like tender knees that make him
a risk for a full max ride?

TheWriter
10-31-2014, 05:53 PM

I know as far as state income tax these guys are charged by every state they play in so that may not be a great factor.

So than a 17 million contract in California would be 20-25 million in Texas.

hitmantb
10-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Anyone who can cancel out LeBron James on both sides of the floor for three straight games in the NBA finals deserves a max contract.

That is why Spurs won, without Kwahi awakening his inner beast, Spurs would have suffered a Utah Jazz 1998 ending, replace anyone except Stockton and Malone on that Jazz team with Kwahi, they would have ringed.

You need raw physical energy to win a championship, the system gets you there, but pure talent gets you over the hump.

z0sa
10-31-2014, 05:58 PM

... which means the value of a contract goes UP if it is in Texas. Not down.

Brunodf
10-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Marc Cuban could offer him a Chandler Parsons type of contract. 2 years at max with the last year
as a players option. That means he is a free agent after 2 years with no compensation to the Spurs.
They are rolling the dice on him but did the Spurs see something in him like tender knees that make him
a risk for a full max ride?
Only if Kawhi sign the offer sheet

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 06:07 PM

That's like saying he can drive a Honda instead of a Mercedes.

spurraider21
10-31-2014, 06:08 PM
The only real fear is a parsons like deal. The spurs would match it anyway but he'd become UFA faster

Chinook
10-31-2014, 06:16 PM
The only real fear is a parsons like deal. The spurs would match it anyway but he'd become UFA faster

The Spurs can prevent that scenario unilaterally. They just can't do that while also using cap space next summer.

spurraider21
10-31-2014, 06:18 PM
The Spurs can prevent that scenario unilaterally. They just can't do that while also using cap space next summer.
Yeah pretty much. If Manu and Tim announce their return, the spurs will just give Kawhi a full max offer and keep everybody with bird rights

Mel_13
10-31-2014, 06:23 PM

Yeah pretty much. If Manu and Tim announce their return, the spurs will just give Kawhi a full max offer and keep everybody with bird rights

Even in that scenario, he can still sign a three year offer sheet. The max QO just prevents a 2+1.

It would be interesting to know what sort of extension, if any, the Spurs actually offered. If they really value cap space as much as many here suspect, they weren't in position to make a really serious offer.

Chinook
10-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Even in that scenario, he can still sign a three year offer sheet. The max QO just prevents a 2+1.

It would be interesting to know what sort of extension, if any, the Spurs actually offered. If they really value cap space as much as many here suspect, they weren't in position to make a really serious offer.

And they probably told him that.

Mel_13
10-31-2014, 06:25 PM
And they probably told him that.

That what I suspect as well.

spurraider21
10-31-2014, 06:27 PM

Well technically anythin more than his cap hold would cut into cap room, but I'm certain they would be willing to give up some cap room this offseason if he agreed to a long term discount. Neither side has enough incentive to cave in though

Mel_13
10-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Well technically anythin more than his cap hold would cut into cap room, but I'm certain they would be willing to give up some cap room this offseason if he agreed to a long term discount. Neither side has enough incentive to cave in though

Yeah, but any offer that a reasonable observer would consider serious would be much, much closer to the max than to his cap hold. If the team is intent on keeping enough cap space to pursue a major free agent next summer, then they couldn't make any sort of reasonable offer to Leonard.

10-31-2014, 06:43 PM
Thompson's extension at 4 years $70 million... at this point Leonard is going to get paid no matter what.

jARS mEsH sEt
10-31-2014, 07:05 PM

No. $17 million in Texas gives you the same purchasing power as $25 million in California.

Aztecfan03
10-31-2014, 07:07 PM

He is saying that 17 million goes as far in California as 12-13 does in Texas.

ElNono
10-31-2014, 07:09 PM
The whole tax situation is overplayed, tbh... yes, it's a few extra millions but not as much as people make it out to be. Don't forget that players do pay state income taxes for games they play on the road (in other states, at each state's tax rate). There was an article not that long ago explaining the whole thing. The gains were, relatively speaking, fairly minor.

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 07:11 PM
The whole tax situation is overplayed, tbh... yes, it's a few extra millions but not as much as people make it out to be. Don't forget that players do pay state income taxes for games they play on the road (in other states, at each state's tax rate).

:cry But 95 degrees and 200% humidity + Whataburger in San Antonio is just as desirable as 70 degrees, world class restaurants, bars, and clubs in San Francisco. :cry

ElNono
10-31-2014, 07:13 PM
:cry But 95 degrees and 200% humidity + Whataburger in San Antonio is just as desirable as 70 degrees, world class restaurants, bars, and clubs in San Francisco. :cry

yeah, it's more complex than just taxes... there's endorsement opportunities, etc.

baseline bum
10-31-2014, 07:15 PM
yeah, it's more complex than just taxes... there's endorsement opportunities, etc.

Fat Mexicans with 6 kids vs hot Cali bitches too tbh

Aztecfan03
10-31-2014, 07:24 PM
The whole tax situation is overplayed, tbh... yes, it's a few extra millions but not as much as people make it out to be. Don't forget that players do pay state income taxes for games they play on the road (in other states, at each state's tax rate). There was an article not that long ago explaining the whole thing. The gains were, relatively speaking, fairly minor.

I didn't know that part. The difference is probably minor, but the difference between the two teams is probably about as much as it can be since SPurs play more games against two other texas teams and warriors play more games against 3 california teams plus all the home games. Probably comes out to a little over 1 million dollars on a 17 mil contract.

Skull-1
10-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Fat Mexicans with 6 kids vs fat MexiCali bitches with 6 kids, too tbh

FIFY.

spurs1990
10-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Oh boy this math is making my head hurt but here's what I think we're all getting to.

Thompson making 17m would get him the same purchasing power in California as Leonard getting 14m would get him in Texas (obviously the numbers arent exact but the values are correctly swayed).

So if Leonard wants the same 17m, it'd be like Thompson making 20m or more in California money.

It's like an exchange rate apropos to the dollar and the euro, with the latter being what is used in Texas.

Brunodf
10-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Jock tax are pennies compared to state tax though...

illusioNtEk
10-31-2014, 07:43 PM
what where the spurs offering?

scanry
10-31-2014, 07:46 PM
So how does this work? Can more than one team offer him a contract next summer and if they do, the Spurs match the highest one?

Hoops Czar
10-31-2014, 08:34 PM

Endorsement opportunities are overplayed as well. If your good, endorsements will find you. I'm pretty sure Durant isn't suffering any in the Meth capital of the world and I don't think Lebron will have any trouble landing endorsements in C-Town either.

99 Problems
10-31-2014, 11:33 PM
Klay got 4yr/70M. KAWHI going to get plenty.

ElNono
10-31-2014, 11:36 PM
Endorsement opportunities are overplayed as well. If your good, endorsements will find you. I'm pretty sure Durant isn't suffering any in the Meth capital of the world and I don't think Lebron will have any trouble landing endorsements in C-Town either.

That is also complex... depends on the player's marketability, whether there's a national audience, etc

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2014, 11:41 PM
I don't care if it was the preseason or today... Kawhi ISO's are horrible to watch. He's not a max player, but hey, anyone is nowadays.

KL2
10-31-2014, 11:49 PM
I don't care if it was the preseason or today... Kawhi ISO's are horrible to watch. He's not a max player, but hey, anyone is nowadays.

He barely touched the ball lmao, he had 3 solid passes 1/3 were made. He got 1 assist from TP late into the shot clock for a rushed 3, a turn around on Bledsoe that he rushed and missed, a wide open jumper from the FT line he missed which he usually makes at a high %, he got swatted but it was a good play. Other than that he got the ball sparingly especially from TP, but I guess getting into a rhythm means nothing lol. Players should be automatic, even if they touch the ball every 5 minutes.

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2014, 11:50 PM
He barely touched the ball lmao, he had 3 solid passes 1/3 were made. He got 1 assist from TP late into the shot clock for a rushed 3, a turn around on Bledsoe that he rushed and missed, a wide open jumper from the FT line he missed which he usually makes at a high %, he got swatted but it was a good play. Other than that he got the ball sparingly especially from TP, but I guess getting into a rhythm means nothing lol. Players should be automatic, even if they touch the ball every 5 minutes.
So you're saying he needs plays to score? :lol KD was right

KL2
10-31-2014, 11:54 PM

When his Pg would rather pass to Daye/Green/Diaw jacking up 3's, yes he needs plays. Otherwise he gets ignored.

TheGreatYacht
11-01-2014, 12:04 AM
When his Pg would rather pass to Daye/Green/Diaw jacking up 3's, yes he needs plays. Otherwise he gets ignored.
He led the team is assists and points :lmao maybe you should tell our pass first SG to quit giving it to Gerald Green

ElNono
11-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Kiwi will be fine. He hasn't played in a while, he'll be rolling in no time

wildchild
11-01-2014, 01:14 AM

No.
He just needs to play, no plays. If he's on the bench half game he can't score a ton of points.
He just needs the ball. If he never touch the ball he can't be aggressive offensively.

He hasn't played any game in a month, obviously he looks rusty.
But he got only 5 touches in all game and played only 1:30 in all 4th quarter...

I think that his Kobewhi version in the scrimmage and the first preason season game needs work but was pretty interesting.
Sadly, we'll see another regular season of low Kawhi minutes/plays/touches, and he'll get frustrated enough to leave the team next summer.

Like you said the Spurs shouldn't match a max offer so you'll be happy, no more Leonard in SA.

Godbama
11-01-2014, 02:26 PM
this may end up being a really stupid move on our part

99 Problems
11-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Anyone interested I just thru out a KL/Jimmy Butler question in F/A Think Tank.

Brunodf
11-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Bump.

Can u imagine how bad this forum would be flaming right now if Kawhi was signed for a max contract in the beginning of the season...

TheGreatYacht
11-06-2014, 10:44 PM
His struggles won't last. The way he looked in the Finals and in the Scrimmage.... He's just rusty.

FireMicoHalili
11-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Clearly deserves it