PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Alvin Gentry..

Malik Hairston
11-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Was he the real reason behind the Clippers' success last year, tbh?..

They have looked horrendous since the preseason, while the Warriors' offense looks much improved..

Malik Hairston
11-02-2014, 06:16 PM
I wonder when Tom Rivers is going to quit on them, tbh..

Have a feeling it will be after a 1st round exit, and he will blame it on Shelly Sterling attending the games..

djohn2oo8
11-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Offense looks shitty.

Malik Hairston
11-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Their ball movement from last year looks dead, seems like they're just relying on Griffin and hoping he can dominate, tbh..

djohn2oo8
11-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Their ball movement from last year looks dead, seems like they're just relying on Griffin and hoping he can dominate, tbh..

Yep. Their defense seems suspect too.

D-Wade
11-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Chris Paul still looks shook from his meltdown against OKC last year.

Clipper Nation
11-02-2014, 06:32 PM
It wasn't just Gentry, it was replacing him with Mike "Iso" Woodson. Not to mention, even on possessions where we are moving the ball (and yes, there actually have been some), we can't shoot a lick even with wide-open shots.

Ultimately, this team just isn't very good. Not enough athleticism at the wings, the worst small forward rotation I have ever seen, and Choke Paul hogging the cap space while disappearing in every single 4th quarter.

DPG21920
11-02-2014, 06:33 PM
It wasn't just Gentry, it was replacing him with Mike "Iso" Woodson. Not to mention, even on possessions where we are moving the ball (and yes, there actually have been some), we can't shoot a lick even with wide-open shots.

Ultimately, this team just isn't very good. Not enough athleticism at the wings, the worst small forward rotation I have ever seen, and Choke Paul hogging the cap space while disappearing in every single 4th quarter.

Between starting Reddick and that SF spot, it's an issue. They will be fine as the season goes on - they are talented. But they have some flaws obviously which will hurt during crunch time. They need to swing a trade and get a 3d wing.

JohnnyMax
11-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Don't forget Doc's horrific GM moves.

-He botched the Bledsoe deal in epic porportions
-Signed Mullins and Antwan Jamision
-Traded Jared Dudley to the Bucks and gave them a 1st rounder- Dudley is now currently better than all our SF's combined
-Drafted another SG(who he won't play btw) when we were desperately in need of a SF.. passed on Kyle Anderson, KJ McDaniels and Cleanthony Early
-Released the big 7 foot Euro Radlijica who was part of the Dudley deal. He went on to have an excellent FIBA Tourney and would've been nice backing up DJ
-Resigned Barnes and an out of shape-and currently injured Big Baby
-signed Udoh- who he won't play
-signed garbage azz CDR who's more worried about his "look" than actual performance on the court
-let Darren Collison get away

-his only good signing has been Haweshttp://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mjcry1.png

I like Doc as coach but he's a gawd awful GM. I'm starting to wonder wondering where his coaching career would be if not for Danny Ainge getting him The Big Three in Bostonhttp://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/yeshrug.png

Malik Hairston
11-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Can't really blame him for Dudley, he was extremely bad with the Clippers last year..

lil'mo
11-02-2014, 08:34 PM
but extremely good with the suns

Uriel
11-03-2014, 01:55 AM
Tom Rivers is a brilliant nickname for Doc. :lol

Malik Hairston
11-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Alvin's new team destroying his old team tonight:lol..

:lol Tom Rivers
:( I'm going to quit next April/May because of Shelly Sterling :(

lefty
11-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Was he the real reason behind the Clippers' success last year, tbh?..

They have looked horrendous since the preseason, while the Warriors' offense looks much improved..
Alvin Gentry has always been underrated tbh

Donkeybong
11-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Alvin Gentry if the fucking man

djohn2oo8
11-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Tom getting his dookey pushed in.

DMC
11-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Remember when the 76ers looked so great at the beginning of the season a couple years back? We really won't have a gauge on the league before Christmas. We know some teams are just fucked, but there are those like the Warriors and Rockets who look stronger than they really are. When the injury bug strikes, how are their benches? How will their records hold up when someone like Curry is out for 10 or more games? No team will be at full strength all year (except the Lakers, since zero isn't negotiable).

Franklin
11-06-2014, 12:11 AM
you're right DMC, and there're also teams who will coast all the way until the playoffs (like the spurs). Spurs are just so stacked they'll still finish atop the league even if they're coasting all the way through.

Bynumite
11-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Tom Rivers forever riding the coattails of better coaches.

Raven
11-06-2014, 12:33 AM
i think it's barnes's shittiness and crawford's inability to defend.

JMarkJohns
11-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Gentry is a master at rotations, maximizing skillsets through complementary substitutions. He stressing passing, movement and motion, and spacing. I utilizes depth and his bench extremely well, creating even a sub rotation that can exploit mismatches.

Role players seldom ever play better apart from Gentry's system.

Kerr hired him in Phoenix and quickly sought him out to be head assistant and offensive coordinator with Warriors.

Malik Hairston
11-06-2014, 01:01 PM
^^ Why did his tenure end in Phoenix? I don't remember..

JMarkJohns
11-06-2014, 03:04 PM
^^ Why did his tenure end in Phoenix? I don't remember..

Team lacked talent, but more than that, the team was full of knuckleheads (Beasley, Brown) and veterans who didn't want to be there (Gortat, Scola, JONeal), so, after reports of the now fired GM floating a coaching change to media in favor of his now fired protege, Lindsey Hunter (who had no coaching experience), Gentry (who was a lame duck coach as I recall) and his entire staff quit.

Coach/GM/half-dozen players were then purged in offseason, proving Gentry was not the issue.

The fact Gentry won nearly 50% of his games in Nash's last years is a testament to his coaching. Those teams were shit.