PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: Is Klay Thompson for real?

11-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Seems legit tbh

spurraider21
11-02-2014, 09:44 PM
excellent thread

100%duncan
11-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Good third option imho. Unfortunately for the warriors they are relying on him to be the 2nd option and they have no more room because of that horrendous contract.

Cry Havoc
11-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Thompson is going off again, on pace for a 50 point night so far. 15 points with lots of time left in the 2nd quarter.

Venti Quattro
11-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Still not worth a $70 million contract

MI21
11-02-2014, 11:14 PM
His dunk on Lopez was nice.

Will wait until playoffs to see if he can even somewhat live up to the big contract.

Venti Quattro
11-02-2014, 11:19 PM
His dunk on Lopez was nice
https://vine.co/v/OODDep3xzwb

illusioNtEk
11-02-2014, 11:22 PM

Will wait until playoffs to see if he can even somewhat live up to the big contract.

He already proved enough the last 2 years including the playoffs.... He is legit

apalisoc_9
11-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Lol, the dude shoots way too much and doesn't contribute in any other aspect..His D is overrated as fk..

give him the regular season, but he is a guy that is so easily neutralized....

benstanfield
11-02-2014, 11:34 PM
People on this board are desperate to save face and have him be a rich man's Danny Green. He's a 2nd option on a contender. They're better than every West team but maybe SA right right now.

Venti Quattro
11-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Lol, the dude shoots way too much and doesn't contribute in any other aspect..His D is overrated as fk..

give him the regular season, but he is a guy that is so easily neutralized....

:lol Your opinions are too much and they don't contribute in any aspect whatsoever

noob cake
11-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Nope,

Klay is a average second option. Hot streak off his great summer bagging Hannah Stocking, playing in the FIBA. He'll cool down and regress to his 14 PER performance soon enough.

MI21
11-02-2014, 11:38 PM
He already proved enough the last 2 years including the playoffs.... He is legit

16/3/3 on 40% against a Clipper team with no perimeter defenders?

15/4/2 on 43% in 12/13 playoffs including averaging 10PPG on 33% in the last 4 games against the Spurs once 6'1 Tony Parker was switched off of him.

Not legit.

100%duncan
11-02-2014, 11:38 PM
People on this board are desperate to save face and have him be a rich man's Danny Green. He's a 2nd option on a contender. They're better than every West team but maybe SA right right now.
Warriors as contenders lol

Hoops Czar
11-02-2014, 11:41 PM
16/3/3 on 40% against a Clipper team with no perimeter defenders?

15/4/2 on 43% in 12/13 playoffs including averaging 10PPG on 33% in the last 4 games against the Spurs once 6'1 Tony Parker was switched off of him.

Not legit.

Danny Green has been shut out plenty of time in the playoffs. Is he legit?

100%duncan
11-02-2014, 11:43 PM

Yes because hes a role player. No one glorifies him as a superstar.

Hoops Czar
11-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Yes because hes a role player. No one glorifies him as a superstar.

Nobody glorified Klay Thompson as a superstar either.

100%duncan
11-02-2014, 11:49 PM

Oh so now you move the goal posts. Either you are blind or just plain naive. Im outta this argument.

100%duncan
11-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Last one.

17 million for a non superstar :lol

Hoops Czar
11-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Oh so now you move the goal posts. Either you are blind or just plain naive. Im outta this argument.

Who's moving the goal posts? GS bid against themselves out of fear a team like the Lakers would swoop in and overpay in the offseason.

Hoops Czar
11-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Last one.

17 million for a non superstar :lol
Last one... If thev Spurs pay Green anything north of $7M per in the offseason..... LOL

100%duncan
11-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Who's moving the goal posts? GS bid against themselves out of fear a team like the Lakers would swoop in and overpay in the offseason.

Yes which implies that they, along with alot of fans, think that klay is a superstar which he is not yet as of now.

100%duncan
11-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Last one... If thev Spurs pay Green anything north of $7M per in the offseason..... LOL

Ok. What they say about you is definitely true.

Malik Hairston
11-02-2014, 11:58 PM
He's a good regular season player, average advanced metrics, huge playoff choker, tbh..

His ceiling is a #3 guy on a title team if he continues to improve..if he's your #2, you have no chance, as we've already seen the past 2 years..

He also can't play defense and offense at a high level simultaneously, which is standard for a player of his caliber(got torched by Kobe last night)..

MI21
11-02-2014, 11:59 PM

If Danny Green earned $17M then obviously his shortcomings would be unacceptable, don't be daft.

Hoops Czar
11-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Ok. What they say about you is definitely true.

They say a lot of thing But, I don't care. Green is a product of the system. He wouldn't be nearly effective on any of the other 29 teams.

:lmao Posters thinking Neal and Mills were going to get paid.

Killakobe81
11-03-2014, 12:09 AM
He's a good regular season player, average advanced metrics, huge playoff choker, tbh..

His ceiling is a #3 guy on a title team if he continues to improve..if he's your #2, you have no chance, as we've already seen the past 2 years..

He also can't play defense and offense at a high level simultaneously, which is standard for a player of his caliber(got torched by Kobe last night)..

He is good, very good.
But most of the dream team guys are playing well. They have played competitive ball for a decent chunk of the summer. Harden, Klay Boogie are all off to hot starts. It's an advantage early but the worry is they will break down late ...

Hoops Czar
11-03-2014, 12:10 AM
If Danny Green earned $17M then obviously his shortcomings would be unacceptable, don't be daft.

"Where's your chicken suit" - Coach Pop

Green is in his prime. What you see is what you get. GS saw Thompson as a player who hasn't reached his full potential. He's just a year older than Leonard. That contract was based on current production and future potential. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes psychic internet clowns have your future mapped out for you well before you've reached your prime.... who's being daft now?

I'm not comparing contracts here but, you can't say straight faced, two games into his new contract that it's bad because you don't know how the remainder of his contract will play out.

It's only two games into the season but, his defensive rating has been pretty solid thus far and it's improved every year since his rookie year.

SPM
11-03-2014, 12:16 AM
lol $17 million

Red Hawk #21
11-03-2014, 01:21 AM

Seriously? Klay played great defense on Kobe last night and hit numerous jumpers in his face. He dropped 41 on Kobe and somehow you're here saying Klay was the one who got torched? :rollin If Kobe didn't make some ridiculous shots in the 3rd he would've had a miserable shooting night. He scored 28 points on 28 shots. I guess that is "torching" to GNSF. *shrugs*

MI21
11-03-2014, 01:29 AM
"Where's your chicken suit" - Coach Pop

Green is in his prime. What you see is what you get. GS saw Thompson as a player who hasn't reached his full potential. He's just a year older than Leonard. That contract was based on current production and future potential. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes psychic internet clowns have your future mapped out for you well before you've reached your prime.... who's being daft now?

I'm not comparing contracts here but, you can't say straight faced, two games into his new contract that it's bad because you don't know how the remainder of his contract will play out.

It's only two games into the season but, his defensive rating has been pretty solid thus far and it's improved every year since his rookie year.

Not saying Thompson has reached his full potential. I also never said his contract is bad, I said I will wait until the playoffs for him to prove he is worthy of his contract. He can average 30/5/5 for the regular season but if he goes 14/3/3 and disappears in big moments in the playoffs, he isn't worth it. That's obvious.

Also, I'm the psychic internet clown yet you have just pigeonholed Green to being in his prime and that what we are seeing is all he will ever be. You are also saying that Thompson hasn't reached his full potential, you don't know that. NBA history is littered with players failing to improve.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue this discussion with you. Carry on :tu

spurraider21
11-03-2014, 01:39 AM
max contract tho

jimbo
11-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Not saying Thompson has reached his full potential. I also never said his contract is bad, I said I will wait until the playoffs for him to prove he is worthy of his contract. He can average 30/5/5 for the regular season but if he goes 14/3/3 and disappears in big moments in the playoffs, he isn't worth it. That's obvious.

Also, I'm the psychic internet clown yet you have just pigeonholed Green to being in his prime and that what we are seeing is all he will ever be. You are also saying that Thompson hasn't reached his full potential, you don't know that. NBA history is littered with players failing to improve.

Tbh, I think for almost any fanbase that'd be worth it. A good majority of NBA teams aren't even going to sniff a title, I'd rather at least enjoy the regular season than nothing at all. Pretty soon the Spurs are gonna be something like that with the Enrique/Kiwi led teams.

Malik Hairston
11-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Seriously? Klay played great defense on Kobe last night and hit numerous jumpers in his face. He dropped 41 on Kobe and somehow you're here saying Klay was the one who got torched? :rollin If Kobe didn't make some ridiculous shots in the 3rd he would've had a miserable shooting night. He scored 28 points on 28 shots. I guess that is "torching" to GNSF. *shrugs*

Thompson's standout attribute, other than his 3-point shooting, is his 2-way ability..he doesn't give you any passing, nor does he rebound at a high level..

However, his defense hasn't been effective in these past 2 games where he had great offensive nights..it's evident that he can't do both at the same time, which is fine, but it severely reduces his impact..

Kobe completely torched him, which negated a bunch of his 41 points against arguably the worst team in the NBA, tbh..

Cry Havoc
11-03-2014, 02:14 AM
If Klay was on the Spurs, Spursfans all over this board would be talking about his potential down the road and how savvy he is.

$17m is overpaid now, but not in 2 years when the new contract kicks in. I doubt they would be able to afford Iggy even if they signed Klay for 4 years $55m.

MI21
11-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Tbh, I think for almost any fanbase that'd be worth it. A good majority of NBA teams aren't even going to sniff a title, I'd rather at least enjoy the regular season than nothing at all. Pretty soon the Spurs are gonna be something like that with the Enrique/Kiwi led teams.

Yeah, fair enough. I meant in terms of winning the championship. Also, probably a little extreme, Klay is never going to average 30/5/5, perhaps 23/4/3 is the upper echelon stats wise on what he could produce. For $17M, you would want more impact than what Klay Thompson has given in the playoffs. I don't really see how that is debatable, tbh.

MI21
11-03-2014, 02:21 AM
If Klay was on the Spurs, Spursfans all over this board would be talking about his potential down the road and how savvy he is.

I don't mind him as a player and if he was a Spurs player, I would definitely be keen on his shooting and solid defense. Would I be keen on similar playoff performances to what he has given previously at the new $17M pricetag? Definitely not.

ElNono
11-03-2014, 02:25 AM

$17m is overpaid now, but not in 2 years when the new contract kicks in. I doubt they would be able to afford Iggy even if they signed Klay for 4 years $55m.

Not me. I always thought he was overrated... Iggy is overrated too, tbh

Cry Havoc
11-03-2014, 02:31 AM

Honestly, it kind of bugs me when people see a 24 year old drop 41 points against an NBA team and think, "Man, he's overrated."

Yeah, if Klay doesn't improve drastically, the Warriors overpaid for him. But what happens if he becomes a much better player year after year? With his size and shooting acumen he could easily be a 20/6/5 guy.

Hoops Czar
11-03-2014, 02:54 AM

Fine... We can end this. However, and for the record, Green, at age 27, is in his prime. He could perhaps improve his consistency on defense and become a better finisher at the rim but, he's not going to suddenly morph into the athlete he is clearly not. He doesn't have the talent or athleticism Klay does. He's the true definition of a 3 & D player. He's not a rebounder, doesn't pass well, and can't put the ball on the floor. He is what he is. In time, you will see this.

As far as Klay is concerned, He's improved in each of his first three seasons so I have reason to believe he can continue to improve. So far in 2014, he has. I'm not handing out absolutes here but, there's a huge disparity in talent between the two that can't be ignored.

spurraider21
11-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Honestly, it kind of bugs me when people see a 24 year old drop 41 points against an NBA team and think, "Man, he's overrated."

Yeah, if Klay doesn't improve drastically, the Warriors overpaid for him. But what happens if he becomes a much better player year after year? With his size and shooting acumen he could easily be a 20/6/5 guy.
when did Klay ever drop 41 points against an NBA team?

Red Hawk #21
11-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Thompson's standout attribute, other than his 3-point shooting, is his 2-way ability..he doesn't give you any passing, nor does he rebound at a high level..

However, his defense hasn't been effective in these past 2 games where he had great offensive nights..it's evident that he can't do both at the same time, which is fine, but it severely reduces his impact..

Kobe completely torched him, which negated a bunch of his 41 points against arguably the worst team in the NBA, tbh..

Klay outplayed Kobe Bryant, and it's become obvious you didn't watch that game. In what world is 28 points on 28 shots, with a bunch of turnovers, and a -30 somehow an amazing performance? The Lakers bigs (Hill and Ed Davis) were the ones who hurt the Warriors in that game, Not Kobe. I understand you're trying to push another one of your narratives but I'm certain that if you watched that game you would see just how much Klay abused Kobe.

Killakobe81
11-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Klay outplayed Kobe Bryant, and it's become obvious you didn't watch that game. In what world is 28 points on 28 shots, with a bunch of turnovers, and a -30 somehow an amazing performance? The Lakers bigs (Hill and Ed Davis) were the ones who hurt the Warriors in that game, Not Kobe. I understand you're trying to push another one of your narratives but I'm certain that if you watched that game you would see just how much Klay abused Kobe.

He did outplay Kobe. Scored more on less shots. but in the third Kobe did torch him and Klay gave right back. And I did not see anything Harlem said about an amazing performance, he said "torched". Which you right was meant as a point in Harlems' Klay's overrated defense he made earlier but was also a dig at Kobe ...how can this nicca's defense be good if he is getting torched by TOSB Kobe?

Come on Red you been here long enough to be able to read between the lines.

Also individual plus/minus is as useless as PER ... plus/minus by rotations are far more useful than individual plus/minus numbers.

Killakobe81
11-03-2014, 08:37 AM

And gets paid more and now is not even starting ...which i guess you can argue is a Manu type decision ...but that contract is worse imho ...

Seventyniner
11-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Who are we talking about again?

4XjDjpHpwJY

Cry Havoc
11-03-2014, 11:40 AM
when did Klay ever drop 41 points against an NBA team?

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578330

Oh, right, I should have said, "WNBA team". :lol

Jeff Van Gundy
11-03-2014, 11:58 AM

:lol I dont get the hate for klay thompson. Sure he is not worth 17 mil, but he is an exceptional #2 option. He is improving every year and will continue to get better.

ElNono
11-03-2014, 12:48 PM

I was calling him overrated before he dropped 41 points... one game or two shouldn't change the perception of a player that's starting his 4th season in the league. I thought he was actually a pretty good offensive player, until he got completely shut down by sophomore Kawhi in the playoffs. His defensive acumen is highly overrated, he's an average defender at best.

Of course, there's always the chance he can get better and live up to the contract he signed. But right now, he's overrated, and he's been overrated for a couple of seasons now, IMO.

Raven
11-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I was calling him overrated before he dropped 41 points... one game or two shouldn't change the perception of a player that's starting his 4th season in the league. I thought he was actually a pretty good offensive player, until he got completely shut down by sophomore Kawhi in the playoffs. His defensive acumen is highly overrated, he's an average defender at best.

Of course, there's always the chance he can get better and live up to the contract he signed. But right now, he's overrated, and he's been overrated for a couple of seasons now, IMO.
true.

Hoops Czar
11-03-2014, 06:54 PM

If I were to play devil's advocate for a second, one series or two shouldn't change the perception of a player that's starting his 4th season in the league. Are we to suggest Leonard is overrated? Sure he's a good defensive player but, his offensive game is way too inconsistent to justify a max contract. Of course, there's always the chance he can get better and live up to the contract he'll sign in the offseason, But right now, he's overrated, and he's been overrated for a couple of seasons now, IMO.

The term "overrated" gets thrown around too loosely in this forum to the point where it's pretty much lost all its meaning.

Malik Hairston
11-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Well, except for the fact that Kawhi dominates Klay Thompson in virtually every single metric, and has also elevated all his metrics in the playoffs, while Thompson has been a huge playoff choker in both years, so far..

A player with a sub-15 PER with high usage:lmao..

Hoops Czar
11-03-2014, 07:00 PM
He did outplay Kobe. Scored more on less shots. but in the third Kobe did torch him and Klay gave right back. And I did not see anything Harlem said about an amazing performance, he said "torched". Which you right was meant as a point in Harlems' Klay's overrated defense he made earlier but was also a dig at Kobe ...how can this nicca's defense be good if he is getting torched by TOSB Kobe?

Come on Red you been here long enough to be able to read between the lines.

Also individual plus/minus is as useless as PER ... plus/minus by rotations are far more useful than individual plus/minus numbers.

Because even a TOSB Kobe can go off for a quarter.... 9/14 in the 3rd, 3/14 in quarters 1,2 and 4.

ElNono
11-03-2014, 07:38 PM
If I were to play devil's advocate for a second, one series or two shouldn't change the perception of a player that's starting his 4th season in the league. Are we to suggest Leonard is overrated? Sure he's a good defensive player but, his offensive game is way too inconsistent to justify a max contract. Of course, there's always the chance he can get better and live up to the contract he'll sign in the offseason, But right now, he's overrated, and he's been overrated for a couple of seasons now, IMO.

The term "overrated" gets thrown around too loosely in this forum to the point where it's pretty much lost all its meaning.

Kawhi's production reconcile with the narrative, tbh... Klay does not. Could that change? Sure. Right now it doesn't. So it's overrated.

What they signed for or will sign for is irrelevant to the "overrated" discussion, IMO. I look at the media praising Klay for his defense, and I'm calling BS. Would be the same if they praised Kawhi for his offense (which, AFAIK, they have not done yet).

It's all opinion anyways, I'm not going to be offended if somebody disagrees.

LkrFan
11-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Nope,

Klay is a average second option. Hot streak off his great summer bagging Hannah Stocking, playing in the FIBA. He'll cool down and regress to his 14 PER performance soon enough.

Lemme guess, Bin Harden is better? :lol

ezau
11-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Glen Rice 2.0 or a poor man's Allan Houston, tbh.

GuerillaBlack
11-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Lemme guess, Bin Harden is better? :lol

Yes, and its not even close. Harden brings you much more than Klay and his 25-1-1 stat lines.

Killakobe81
11-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Because even a TOSB Kobe can go off for a quarter.... 9/14 in the 3rd, 3/14 in quarters 1,2 and 4.

I dont disagree, I was just explaining Harlem's point.

Killakobe81
11-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Yes, and its not even close. Harden brings you much more than Klay and his 25-1-1 stat lines.

Even if you hate on the way Harden draws contact he applies much more pressure on opposing defenses ... and GB is right it's not close.
On the other end advantage is clearly Klay's but Im with GB here.

LkrFan
11-04-2014, 08:33 AM

He's D-Whistlesque. Color me unimpressed.

100%duncan
11-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Both are overrated but I respect klay more than mr foodstamps tbh. Sad that that faggot is the best sg in the league

DMC
11-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Klay's issue is and has always been inconsistency. Often that can be blamed on not getting touches in the right spots because Curry is a chucker, however that's not always the case. He'll regress to the mean soon enough.

Let's stop shitting ourselves 10 minutes into the 10 day trip.

Spurs9
11-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Klay thrives chunking shots against teams that don't play any defense.