PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years Ago Today...

BatManu20
11-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Big Dave played his first ever game for the Spurs, and the franchise was changed forever.. :cry

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10805705_10152666995491773_1687352643625639899_n.j pg?oh=dedd4412a2c1d9db9daa290af8a6d19b&oe=54DCFCEA

BatManu20
11-04-2014, 07:59 PM

BatManu20
11-04-2014, 08:06 PM

exstatic
11-04-2014, 08:11 PM
And he dissed Shaq in the locker room after the game...oh, wait, Shaq was already at LSU by November. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Blue Duck
11-04-2014, 10:42 PM
I know that we are currently living in the "golden age" of this franchise, but man those were the good old days. Starting 5: big Dave(the admiral, five-0), Terry "preacher" Cummings, Sean "ninja" elliotte, Willy Anderson, and rod Strickland "rod-n-roll". Basketball in the nineties was fan-tastic!!!! Allot of good memories courtesy of our hometowns one professional sports franchise, and a hell of allot of winning. Everybody talks about how great the spurs have been during the Duncan era, but tally up all the win percentages over the last quarter of a century, and I'll bet the spurs come out on top. By the way, that year, big Dave led the spurs to the biggest single season turnaround in the history of the league at that time. Just remarkable.

wildchild
11-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Thanks!
25 years...damn...Happy anniversary!

tmtcsc
11-04-2014, 11:20 PM
I know that we are currently living in the "golden age" of this franchise, but man those were the good old days. Starting 5: big Dave(the admiral, five-0), Terry "preacher" Cummings, Sean "ninja" elliotte, Willy Anderson, and rod Strickland "rod-n-roll". Basketball in the nineties was fan-tastic!!!! Allot of good memories courtesy of our hometowns one professional sports franchise, and a hell of allot of winning. Everybody talks about how great the spurs have been during the Duncan era, but tally up all the win percentages over the last quarter of a century, and I'll bet the spurs come out on top. By the way, that year, big Dave led the spurs to the biggest single season turnaround in the history of the league at that time. Just remarkable.

I look back on those years differently. David Robinson initially gave fans hope that the city might one day see a Championship but after an exciting first season, things went downhill from there and it became painfully evident that he and the rest of the team were a collection of lovable losers. Five championships later and it's a lot easier to admit it now. Robinson was easily the best player on the team through those years but he had little help - especially from the front office.

Tim Duncan and to a lesser extent, Coach Pop, took this franchise to elite status and erased a lot of painful memories for me. It's one thing when you know your team sucks and can't win, but the Spurs toyed with us fans every year, saying the right things, showing flashes of what they could be, but in the end they always found new ways to lose.

Watching Golden St. and its small lineup punk the Spurs in the 1st round in 1990, Charles Barkley's 1993 game winning shot from the top of the key in DRob's face, Robert Horry's FT line jumper in WCF to end their season in 1995, embarrassing and brutal beat downs by the friggin Utah Jazz. I remember the losses more than the wins.

Ironically, those 1990 teams may have been more athletic than the current Spurs. The alley-oops from Willie Anderson and David Wingate to Robinson were fun to watch.

Rev Hill
11-04-2014, 11:22 PM
You probably remember Maurice Cheeks was the starting PG when that season began. In feb he was traded to Knicks for Rod.

MI21
11-04-2014, 11:58 PM
23/17 in his first game :lol

One of the most underrated players in NBA history. Love him :cry

mkurts
11-05-2014, 03:01 AM
The Admiral is a true legend. Just imagine the Twin Towers both in their prime ...

scanry
11-05-2014, 04:14 AM
I look back on those years differently. David Robinson initially gave fans hope that the city might one day see a Championship but after an exciting first season, things went downhill from there and it became painfully evident that he and the rest of the team were a collection of lovable losers. Five championships later and it's a lot easier to admit it now. Robinson was easily the best player on the team through those years but he had little help - especially from the front office.

Tim Duncan and to a lesser extent, Coach Pop, took this franchise to elite status and erased a lot of painful memories for me. It's one thing when you know your team sucks and can't win, but the Spurs toyed with us fans every year, saying the right things, showing flashes of what they could be, but in the end they always found new ways to lose.

Watching Golden St. and its small lineup punk the Spurs in the 1st round in 1990, Charles Barkley's 1993 game winning shot from the top of the key in DRob's face, Robert Horry's FT line jumper in WCF to end their season in 1995, embarrassing and brutal beat downs by the friggin Utah Jazz. I remember the losses more than the wins.

Ironically, those 1990 teams may have been more athletic than the current Spurs. The alley-oops from Willie Anderson and David Wingate to Robinson were fun to watch.

If Dave hadn't toyed the fans to 50+ wins in the 90's, the Spurs would've relocated to St. Louis or Brooklyn tbh. He could've easily forced a trade to a big market where the front office was more wiling to spend on better talent. Dave persevered and luckily Tim fell in his lap.

BTW one of the most underated players the game has seen. The only flaw in Dave's arsenal was his low post game. San Antonio owes a lot to Big Dave. Happy Anniversary.

spurraider21
11-05-2014, 04:15 AM
he is criminally underrated literally because of two images :lol

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/hW4uXlRGAF0/0.jpg

and

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4015481/hakeem-dream-shake-o.gif

BatManu20
11-05-2014, 05:27 AM
It's easy to forget how much of a beast D-Rob was. Luckily, YouTube is there to remind us.

z-NRWNX7Z7Y

baseline bum
11-05-2014, 08:18 AM

They went downhill because the team was owned by Red McCombs, who refused to spend the money to put a good team around Robinson. That fucking faggot was the worst owner the Spurs have ever had. Drossos and Holt have been willing to spend money to build strong teams, but McCombs the billionaire was responsible for Del Negro, for Barkley not coming here, and for losing Strickland for nothing. What makes it all the more ridiculous is that his tenure as owner had really strong season ticket sales.

z0sa
11-05-2014, 08:19 AM
:toast

Gervin44Silas13
11-05-2014, 08:57 AM
They went downhill because the team was owned by Red McCombs, who refused to spend the money to put a good team around Robinson. That fucking faggot was the worst owner the Spurs have ever had. Drossos and Holt have been willing to spend money to build strong teams, but McCombs the billionaire was responsible for Del Negro, for Barkley not coming here, and for losing Strickland for nothing. What makes it all the more ridiculous is that his tenure as owner had really strong season ticket sales.

Red Wanted the consessions for the dome too....I hate that these fuck tards give him so much credit... That 1990 team was a fucking awesome team
we had so much going that offseason
but that redneck cocksucker fucked it up

Reggie Willams was wavied
David Wingate was blamed for a phony rape charge,,,,,Spurs had it out for him
Brick was traded for a shitty banged up Paul Pressey
we got a old cocksucker David Greenwood...he had his rings so he didnt give a shit
we got the steal of the draft Dwayne Shitus "that amounted to shit"
a shitty Sean Higgins
and a washed out Bone Spurs mother fucker Sidney green that amounted to shit

Willie fucked up both his shins he was recovering and he banged his other shin in his home WTF????...he was never the same after that

Stickland was getting in bar fights

on the lighter note we had Robinson, Cummins, and Sean who carried that team and barely won the Midwest Division Crown by one game

Then they got thier asses run by Run TMC

I hope everyone burned their WE WANT IT NOW!!!! T Shirts!!!....The shittiest season promotion by the Spurs what a fucking joke.....I d laugh to see it anyone would post a pic

Gervin44Silas13
11-05-2014, 09:02 AM

That 1990 Team was poised for greatness too bad Rod got greedy...and the FO made changes and got washed up veteran players

Gervin44Silas13
11-05-2014, 09:04 AM

Ohhhh those losses....I feel ya bro!!!!!
:depressed

EVAY
11-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Thanks. When I saw what tmtcsc had written I almost starting saying exactly what you did, but decided to scroll down and see if someone else did it. And you did! Red McCombs absolutely refused to spend on the Spurs, and that fact meant that Robinson never had the right pieces around him to get all the way. All McCombs ever really wanted a pro football franchise, and the Alamodome, which he got the city to build, was built in the hopes of attracting a pro football team. And after the first championship and when Robinson retired, he made no bones about the fact that Holt's ownership really 'raised the bar' in terms of taking the franchise to a new high.

We should admit that Holt didn't WANT to spend anymore, but two things have changed that: one is that Duncan was such a strong basketball presence and would say things like "give him the money - or I'll do it - I'll give him the money myself" (which happened not to be legal so it couldn't happen, but it shamed Holt and the FO into coughing up some money to keep some real contributors here; the second is that Pop was/is a strong enough personality to say to the GM after 2011 "I don't have a damn bench - give me a damn bench".

All of which is to say that neither McCombs or Holt really want to pay people, but after Duncan and Pop got here, things got a lot more public in terms of what was necessary. Nothing more clear than when the 2011 season ending looked for all the world like the Duncan era was over because the front office had been surrounding him with cheap, end-of-career journeyman that made us incapable of competing in the playoffs in a meaningful way. That, and Pop changed his offense to accommodate Duncan's decreasing skills and incorporate the talents of Parker and Ginobili more.

But you are so right - McCombs was the worst owner ever...and the press in this town just lionize him all the time.

Gervin44Silas13
11-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks. When I saw what tmtcsc had written I almost starting saying exactly what you did, but decided to scroll down and see if someone else did it. And you did! Red McCombs absolutely refused to spend on the Spurs, and that fact meant that Robinson never had the right pieces around him to get all the way. All McCombs ever really wanted a pro football franchise, and the Alamodome, which he got the city to build, was built in the hopes of attracting a pro football team. And after the first championship and when Robinson retired, he made no bones about the fact that Holt's ownership really 'raised the bar' in terms of taking the franchise to a new high.

We should admit that Holt didn't WANT to spend anymore, but two things have changed that: one is that Duncan was such a strong basketball presence and would say things like "give him the money - or I'll do it - I'll give him the money myself" (which happened not to be legal so it couldn't happen, but it shamed Holt and the FO into coughing up some money to keep some real contributors here; the second is that Pop was/is a strong enough personality to say to the GM after 2011 "I don't have a damn bench - give me a damn bench".

All of which is to say that neither McCombs or Holt really want to pay people, but after Duncan and Pop got here, things got a lot more public in terms of what was necessary. Nothing more clear than when the 2011 season ending looked for all the world like the Duncan era was over because the front office had been surrounding him with cheap, end-of-career journeyman that made us incapable of competing in the playoffs in a meaningful way. That, and Pop changed his offense to accommodate Duncan's decreasing skills and incorporate the talents of Parker and Ginobili more.

But you are so right - McCombs was the worst owner ever...and the press in this town just lionize him all the time.

The SA media praises him so much it makes me sick....okay yes he got the franchise to get established in SA......but he really didnt know how to man it.....I remember when Bob Bass had to coach again
in 1992.... Im so glad Pop took the GM job he really turned things around

and lets not forget the Jerry Tarkainan fiasco.....nice work Red!!!!

xmas1997
11-05-2014, 10:37 AM
It's easy to forget how much of a beast D-Rob was. Luckily, YouTube is there to remind us.

z-NRWNX7Z7Y

Excellent take.

xmas1997
11-05-2014, 10:39 AM
The SA media praises him so much it makes me sick....okay yes he got the franchise to get established in SA......but he really didnt know how to man it.....I remember when Bob Bass had to coach again
in 1992.... Im so glad Pop took the GM job he really turned things around

and lets not forget the Jerry Tarkainan fiasco.....nice work Red!!!!

Pop did make the biggest changes here, got Elliott back, and eventually took over the coaching reins for the better.

Jenks
11-05-2014, 12:51 PM

And people fail to remember that the only reason Robinson's numbers weren't just as good or better than Hakeem's in that series was that he was playing one on five.

http://giant.gfycat.com/RecklessJadedGrunion.gif

Somehow people watched that series and came away thinking he was soft. People are fucking retarded.

BatManu20
11-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Look at this beast.

z-NRWNX7Z7Y

tmtcsc
11-05-2014, 02:00 PM

:toast Well said.

DAF86
11-05-2014, 02:16 PM
This guy should be remembered even more than he is. There's a big chance that this present doesn't happen if he would have never landed on the Spurs.

tmtcsc
11-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Look at this beast.

z-NRWNX7Z7Y

Larry Brown and Bob Bass failed DRob miserably. There was no reason to blow up Dave's rookie team although I've heard T.C. was a bit of an issue. Apparently he didn't want to play second fiddle in the band. Still, Sydney Green? Paul Pressey? Letting Rod Strickland walk?

Robinson alone made them perennial regular-season winners but he could only take them so far.

Sean Cagney
11-05-2014, 02:24 PM
This guy should be remembered even more than he is. There's a big chance that this present doesn't happen if he would have never landed on the Spurs.

Your right.

TampaDude
11-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Yup...DRob is the reason I'm a Spurs fan. :hat

Beaverfuzz
11-06-2014, 12:28 AM

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/hW4uXlRGAF0/0.jpg

and

Nobody was stopping The Dream Shake that year...nobody.

ezau
11-06-2014, 04:01 AM
Nobody was stopping The Dream Shake that year...nobody.

Hakeem would've destroyed MJ Bulls that year, tbh. Good thing DK decided to play baseball instead, which preserved his God status.

Gervin44Silas13
11-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Larry Brown and Bob Bass failed DRob miserably. There was no reason to blow up Dave's rookie team although I've heard T.C. was a bit of an issue. Apparently he didn't want to play second fiddle in the band. Still, Sydney Green? Paul Pressey? Letting Rod Strickland walk?

Robinson alone made them perennial regular-season winners but he could only take them so far.

What was the deal with T.C., I hated his shitty ass reverse layup he always got blocked or missed it
T.C. was done by the 1993 season he played a pick up game and injured himself he was never the same
Sydney Green was a has been
Paul Pressey ( Brick was a better defender and he liked to intimidate)
David Greenwood.....he was hurt all year along with Green
Letting Rod Strickland walk....That was all on Bob Bass.....
Then we struggled to get a point guard till Avery came around
L. Daniels and Vinny :depressed

I still belive if they kept the core of that 1989-1990 team our team would have never fallen into a abyss...it was a bad year to be a Spurs fan after the 1991 Playoffs....that team looked OLD!!!!!!!

Gervin44Silas13
11-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Pop did make the biggest changes here, got Elliott back, and eventually took over the coaching reins for the better.

We stole Rodman and Elliott....you could tell Sean hated Detroit....thats why alot of people hated Rodman cause of that trade.....
Rodman gave the Spurs a Edge....at least for a while then Rodman went Chenorbyl on us

Chomag
11-06-2014, 09:42 AM
That was the year I became a Spurs fan, I was about 12 at the time and never really cared all that much about basketball until I started watching this team and the Admiral made me fall in love with the game.