PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Robertson: A Fallen, Forgotten Spur on Trial for Human Trafficking

Spur|n|Austin
11-06-2014, 01:37 PM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/141/724/ea437d3d423f3679404ddcd4dba7ae10_crop_north.png?w= 630&h=420&q=75

SAN ANTONIO — Alvin Robertson wanted to see the defending champion Spurs (http://bleacherreport.com/san-antonio-spurs) collect their championship rings on opening night of the NBA (http://bleacherreport.com/nba) season in person, except he couldn't make the short trip from home. The load he’s carrying right now was just too heavy.

One piece of cargo is his past. It weighs a ton, swollen from a series of confrontations with women and violating protective orders and probation. Those actions have sent him in and out of jail for the last decade and a half. And they kept him far away from the AT&T Center and a team he once starred for in the mid-1980s, a bleak stretch of Spurs history that seems long forgotten, like Robertson himself.

The other part of his load only weighs a few ounces. It’s a court-appointed tracking device, strapped to his ankle, confining Robertson’s body to his house and his mind to an upcoming trial that could lock him up for life.

Two weeks after the Spurs were honored for winning their fifth title and praised again for being a near-perfect franchise, one of their former all-time greats will appear before a jury. On Nov. 10 in the 186th District Court in San Antonio, Robertson will face charges of trafficking persons under 18 for prostitution, sexual assault of a child and sexual performance of a child—all felonies—according to Kirsta Melton, an assistant district attorney in Bexar County. Two of the charges carry a maximum punishment of 99 years each.

(http://www.spurstalk.com/bleacherreport.com/articles/2227019-alvin-robertson-the-fallen-and-forgotten-spur)Read More: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2227019-alvin-robertson-the-fallen-and-forgotten-spur

FromWayDowntown
11-06-2014, 02:07 PM
He's alleged to have been into some serious stuff.

I'm familiar with a civil action against based on the same allegations made in the criminal case (same girl, same ringleader -- Campbell); the proof is pretty damning and if the allegations in that action -- and, more importantly, in the criminal case -- can be ultimately proven, its sickening conduct.

Early Pop considered returning Alvin to the Spurs but Mr. Robinson nixed it and justifiably so, it seems. Probably for the best in a lot of ways.

Today's Pop would just shake his head at Early Pop even thinking about it.

rjv
11-06-2014, 03:32 PM
robertson was a great spur. but he's a terrible human being.

baseline bum
11-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Link is broken

baseline bum
11-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Early Pop considered returning Alvin to the Spurs but Mr. Robinson nixed it and justifiably so, it seems. Probably for the best in a lot of ways.

Never heard that. Early Pop as in 1994 Pop? Fuck Alvin Robertson. Trading his sorry ass for Terry Cummings is one of the greatest moves this franchise ever made. Cummings is such an awesome person and must have been an incredible teammate, and he was a beast before blowing out his knee.

Spur|n|Austin
11-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Link is broken

Thanks, fixed it.

baseline bum
11-06-2014, 03:56 PM
That article makes it sound like Brickowski was shipped to Milwaukee in the Cummings deal, when he was traded a year later for Paul Pressey.

FromWayDowntown
11-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Never heard that. Early Pop as in 1994 Pop? Fuck Alvin Robertson. Trading his sorry ass for Terry Cummings is one of the greatest moves this franchise ever made. Cummings is such an awesome person and must have been an incredible teammate, and he was a beast before blowing out his knee.

Here's the whole story:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2227019-alvin-robertson-the-fallen-and-forgotten-spur

That anecdote was from the story:

Robinson Nixes his Return

Despite Robertson's troubles, the Spurs nearly tossed him a lifeline. Popovich weighed the idea of adding a 34-year-old with back and legal problems to a team desperate to turn the corner. Popovich met with Robertson and said at the time: “Alvin’s still a good player.”

Well, David Robinson, weary of losing yet skeptical about Robertson, drew the line where the criminal courts wouldn’t.

“The last thing we need to do is bring in a problem,” Robinson told reporters at the time. “All you have to go on is people’s actions. What he says is one thing. (But) it’s what he does.”

Robertson turned 34 in July 1996, so that must have been before or during the 1996-97 season. My guess would be that it was before, coming off the stinging loss to the Jazz in the 2nd round with the idea that the team needed more edge and grit to have a chance to beat Utah. Luckily, filling that role with "Alvin Robertson" shifted to filling it with Mario Elie, which was a major upgrade, I think.

Gervin44Silas13
11-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Wow so sad one of the black sheep of the Spurs!

tmtcsc
11-06-2014, 04:39 PM
I met Alvin Robertson once back in 1996 and the guy was very personable and outgoing. We talked basketball for a few minutes at the Sombrero Rosa on West Ave. and Blanco. Its hard to imagine that same dude being caught up in all this nastiness. Its a sad shame. He never backed down from anyone on the court and played his ass off for the Spurs. The shit he's accused of now is disgusting.

DPG21920
11-06-2014, 04:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdpYiW6B8A

superbigtime
11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Damn that's sad.

gospursgojas
11-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Used to ball with his son. Almost same story. Great player, always in trouble.

Uriel
11-06-2014, 08:10 PM
That's sad. :(

Gervin44Silas13
11-07-2014, 09:05 AM
wow sad article...............

wildbill2u
11-07-2014, 10:09 AM
I used to have an game ball autographed by Alvin. He was a 4 time all-star and defensive player of the year, leading the league in steals 4 times. He had so much promise in his early years that it's a shame he ran off the rails.

My ex-son in law stole the ball. I don't miss it since he got into all the troubles.

Maddog
11-07-2014, 10:51 AM
I ran into him at tycoon flats and he bought us a beer.- 04 or 05
I also remember his radio show-

That whole time period from late 80s to early 90s was incredibly frustrating for Spurs fans
A lot of extremely talented players who didn't pan out. Robertson, Willie Anderson, Rod Strickland.
I often wondered what would have happened if the Spurs stuck with Bob Weiss as the coach instead of hiring Larry Brown. While a great coach he clashed with a lot of the players- even Dave
Of course no Larry- then no Pop and RC

lmbebo
11-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Attended a basketball camp he once ran. Used to get his autograph everyday. Never said no, but after the 5th autograph he gave me this look and signed it again. Autographs are worthless now.

lefty
11-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Ive always thought he looked like a drug dealer

But so did Dennis Rodman, Terry Cummings and Lloyd Daniels

will_spurs
11-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Autographs are worthless now.

fuk yo autographs clown.

Stabula
11-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I was charged of the same crimes but I got out of it thanks to Nico Lahood

George Gervin's Afro
11-07-2014, 08:31 PM
I still think Alvin R is a better player than Tony Parker...

xmas1997
11-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Was great defensively once upon a time.

It's a shame.

Galileo
11-08-2014, 12:46 AM
I went to a Bucks playoffs game in 1990, this game here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199005010MIL.html

Bucks beat Jordan & the Bulls and Robertson scored 38 points. At the end of the game, Jordan lost the ball and Robertson went down the court and made a big hoop to clinch it.

lefty
11-08-2014, 02:13 AM
I went to a Bucks playoffs game in 1990, this game here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199005010MIL.html

Bucks beat Jordan & the Bulls and Robertson scored 38 points. At the end of the game, Jordan lost the ball and Robertson went down the court and made a big hoop to clinch it.
MJ has always aknowledged Alvin's defense on him

JWest596
11-08-2014, 12:57 PM
He's one of only four NBA players who has achieved a Quadruple Double. DROB, Thurman, Dream and Alvin. Tim was so damn close in the 2003 Finals!, I still haven't forgiven Pop for not trying. Tim wasn't even aware of it.

Such a rare feat for such any NBA player and Alvin will probably be remembered for his life sentence(s).

PÒÓCH
12-02-2014, 01:05 AM
He was such a great player, bummer he screwed up so bad. Note the names on the '84 draft at the end :

http://youtu.be/UkSKRRAr4hE

exstatic
12-02-2014, 05:00 AM
He's one of only four NBA players who has achieved a Quadruple Double. DROB, Thurman, Dream and Alvin. Tim was so damn close in the 2003 Finals!, I still haven't forgiven Pop for not trying. Tim wasn't even aware of it.

Such a rare feat for such any NBA player and Alvin will probably be remembered for his life sentence(s).
Tim played 46 minutes in game 6. Did you expect Pop to play him 48?

tmtcsc
12-02-2014, 10:44 AM
He was such a great player, bummer he screwed up so bad. Note the names on the '84 draft at the end :

Lol, the clueless announcer says "20 pts, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 steals..for Robertson and he has his 1st quadruple double tonight." He said it with as much enthusiasm as if it was a ho-hum stat or triple-double.

buttsR4rebounding
12-02-2014, 02:07 PM

:lmao

PÒÓCH
12-02-2014, 10:38 PM

Nico's the man. I've known him since we were young punks.

PÒÓCH
12-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Lol, the clueless announcer says "20 pts, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 steals..for Robertson and he has his 1st quadruple double tonight." He said it with as much enthusiasm as if it was a ho-hum stat or triple-double.

The announcer probably earned $5.00 an hour back then.

tmtcsc
12-02-2014, 11:50 PM
The announcer probably earned $5.00 an hour back then.

Lol, you're probably right. Did you got to Central Catholic by any chance?

GSH
05-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Alvin Roberston got the shit beaten out of him in the county jail today. (Not the first time, from what I understand.) I don't like any of the things he did, but they didn't sentence the guy to be stuck in a little room and beaten. If that's what should happen, get a judge to sentence him to it. But don't turn things over to some other shitheel in the jail.

Just for the record, those who thought Little Nico was a good choice, just because a bunch of Spurs players play poker with him... think again. The SA criminal justice system is in serious disarray.

Vito Corleone
05-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Alvin Roberston got the shit beaten out of him in the county jail today. (Not the first time, from what I understand.) I don't like any of the things he did, but they didn't sentence the guy to be stuck in a little room and beaten. If that's what should happen, get a judge to sentence him to it. But don't turn things over to some other shitheel in the jail.

Just for the record, those who thought Little Nico was a good choice, just because a bunch of Spurs players play poker with him... think again. The SA criminal justice system is in serious disarray.

STREET JUSTICE

There is justice and then there is street justice. You can escape the first, but seldom do you escape the second.

Harry Callahan
05-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Alvin was a gifted player - saw him a few times at the Hemisfair Arena.

He's got a lot of demons inside of him.

What a waste.

Gervin44Silas13
05-11-2015, 07:24 AM
That was a shit trade....Brick was a beast under the basket......another Red "neck" McCombs shit move....to add salt to the wound we got two crappy hasbeens in David Greenwood and Sidney Green

That article makes it sound like Brickowski was shipped to Milwaukee in the Cummings deal, when he was traded a year later for Paul Pressey.

Gervin44Silas13
05-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Kevin Willis
Jerome Kersey

Former Spurs and Champions!!!!

LMAO Barkley and Stockton No Rings!!!!!!!!

Gervin44Silas13
05-11-2015, 07:35 AM
was it on the news?????

baseline bum
05-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Fuck Alvin Robertson, I hope someone slits his throat in the county jail after he pimped out that girl. What was she, 12 or 14?

baseline bum
05-11-2015, 07:49 AM
That was a shit trade....Brick was a beast under the basket......another Red "neck" McCombs shit move....to add salt to the wound we got two crappy hasbeens in David Greenwood and Sidney Green

McCombs was easily the worst owner in franchise history. I'll never forgive him for letting Strickland walk for nothing and then getting cheap ass faggot Vinny Del Negro to replace him. The single move doomed the Spurs for Robinson's entire prime, they never found another point guard until Parker in 2001. And how the fuck do you turn down pairing prime Barkley with prime Robinson next to young Strickland and young Elliott? If the Spurs had Holt instead of McCombs back then they would have probably gotten a ring or two, especially since Robinson owned Jordan until 95-96.

Gervin44Silas13
05-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Yeah we had Money to get Barkley Red was just a cheap as motherfucker....FUCK THAT REDNECK!!!!

McCombs was easily the worst owner in franchise history. I'll never forgive him for letting Strickland walk for nothing and then getting cheap ass faggot Vinny Del Negro to replace him. The single move doomed the Spurs for Robinson's entire prime, they never found another point guard until Parker in 2001. And how the fuck do you turn down pairing prime Barkley with prime Robinson next to young Strickland and young Elliott? If the Spurs had Holt instead of McCombs back then they would have probably gotten a ring or two, especially since Robinson owned Jordan until 95-96.

pgardn
05-11-2015, 07:55 AM

How did you find out about this?

This needs to go public.
The last thing this city/county needs is a crappy DA.

tmtcsc
05-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Wasn't Larry Brown responsible for having Brick shipped out? Brown was and probably still is the ultimate "tinkerer" when it comes to messing with rosters.
As for letting Strickland walk, I thought that was on Bob Bass who was the GM at the time.

Maddog
05-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Wasn't Larry Brown responsible for having Brick shipped out? Brown was and probably still is the ultimate "tinkerer" when it comes to messing with rosters.
As for letting Strickland walk, I thought that was on Bob Bass who was the GM at the time.

Larry Brow was responsible for the Brick/Pressey trade. As you mentioned, Larry was the ultimate tinkerer. Brick would have been more useful.
The Strickland move I always thought was a combo of Bass and McCombs. Red not wanting to pay and Bass thinking he was easily replaceable.

Gervin44Silas13
05-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Bass was a cheap bastard

I hated that 1991 team......."we want it now" LOL that fucking t-shirt a hand reaching for a ring if you owned that shirt you were a loser!!!!
what a fucked up slogan for that year for a mediocre team

Larry Brow was responsible for the Brick/Pressey trade. As you mentioned, Larry was the ultimate tinkerer. Brick would have been more useful.
The Strickland move I always thought was a combo of Bass and McCombs. Red not wanting to pay and Bass thinking he was easily replaceable.

cantthinkofanything
05-11-2015, 12:03 PM

I think they certainly get at least one ring with just Strickland.

But if they put that team together as you mentioned, they end up somewhere different in the 1997 draft. I'd rather have the Duncan era as it's played out.

Maddog
05-13-2015, 04:09 PM
I think they certainly get at least one ring with just Strickland.

But if they put that team together as you mentioned, they end up somewhere different in the 1997 draft. I'd rather have the Duncan era as it's played out.

All's well that ends well

After the 95 WCF exit who would have thought 20 years later the Spurs would have 5 rings

Seeing DRob go out with his second ring was really great- one of my favorite moments

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 04:35 PM

The Strickland thing had a lot to do with things that were going on off the floor with him, too.

He held out at the beginning of the 1991-92 season and didn't play until Christmas that year. He broke his hand during the 1990-91 season in a fight outside of a bar and missed about 6 weeks. He had an indecent exposure charge against him in Seattle in April 1991.

Strickland also tends to get a pass on his role in the loss to the Warriors in 1991, but after Game 1 of that series, when he had 30-9-13 on 60% from the floor, he was pretty pedestrian after that in a series where he had to be good.

Beaverfuzz
05-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Strickland was a douche, but like others have said, was the best PG the Spurs had until the young Tony Parker showed up on the scene.

wildbill2u
05-13-2015, 06:30 PM

strickland let it be known far and wide that he thought SA was a shitty town and he wanted out. He refused to abide by the coaches bedcheck rules on road trips and gave indications that he would play (badly) his way out of here. He was one of the very gifted PGs of his day and we all had such high hopes when he came here. We got him in a trade for Maurice Cheeks who was at the end of his career. It was a surprise to many that NY would trade a talented young guy for Cheeks, so I think something was going on in NY. He especially resented being traded from his hometown (NY) to SA.

wildbill2u
05-13-2015, 06:39 PM
On one of the NBA TV Game Time shows with veteran All Stars, they were talking about 'players you didn't want to mess with" and some names were called. Then Kenny Smith said very quietly, "you never wanted to mess with Alvin Robertson" and there were solemn nods all around.

Given that he ha/has a bad boy attitude, he did NOT want to bring that to the SA jail which in most pods is controlled by the two Mexican gangs. When they call for a beat down, it isn't just one or two guys that Alvin would have faced but every member in that pod. I've seen 'em blind a black drug dealer who thought he was a bad dude for monopolizing the phone by heating water to boiling in a cell and then throwing it in his face. Alvin may be lucky if he just got a beat down. Could've been worse.

Maddog
05-13-2015, 08:01 PM
On one of the NBA TV Game Time shows with veteran All Stars, they were talking about 'players you didn't want to mess with" and some names were called. Then Kenny Smith said very quietly, "you never wanted to mess with Alvin Robertson" and there were solemn nods all around.

Given that he ha/has a bad boy attitude, he did NOT want to bring that to the SA jail which in most pods is controlled by the two Mexican gangs. When they call for a beat down, it isn't just one or two guys that Alvin would have faced but every member in that pod. I've seen 'em blind a black drug dealer who thought he was a bad dude for monopolizing the phone by heating water to boiling in a cell and then throwing it in his face. Alvin may be lucky if he just got a beat down. Could've been worse.

They probably come after you with more than a butter knife

myhc
05-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Great news. Hope he gets worse done to him.

cantthinkofanything
05-13-2015, 10:08 PM

I doubt it mattered how he acted. He fucked with kids and was going to catch a beating regardless. But he's getting what he deserved.

tmtcsc
05-13-2015, 11:51 PM
strickland let it be known far and wide that he thought SA was a shitty town and he wanted out. He refused to abide by the coaches bedcheck rules on road trips and gave indications that he would play (badly) his way out of here.

I've been a Spurs fan for decades and that's the first I ever heard of this. Do you have an inside source or something? As far as NY trading him, they had Mark Jackson and needed to make a choice on who to go with. Cheeks added veteran leadership and seriously wanted out of San Antonio. If anyone was vocal about not wanting to be here, it was him. Old Dick Cheeks.

tmtcsc
05-13-2015, 11:53 PM

Shaq went upside Robertson's head during a game. It was bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oUJV8ApL58

buttsR4rebounding
05-14-2015, 10:18 AM

You mean the City of San Antonio offices of Thomas J. Henry?

cantthinkofanything
05-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Shaq went upside Robertson's head during a game. It was bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oUJV8ApL58

Damn. Robertson was ready to go right after. None of this bowing up while backing away. And Skiles ready to go toe to toe with Laimbeer.

baseline bum
05-14-2015, 11:27 AM
I've been a Spurs fan for decades and that's the first I ever heard of this. Do you have an inside source or something? As far as NY trading him, they had Mark Jackson and needed to make a choice on who to go with. Cheeks added veteran leadership and seriously wanted out of San Antonio. If anyone was vocal about not wanting to be here, it was him. Old Dick Cheeks.

Yeah, motherfucking Cheeks was living in a hotel when he was here.

Gervin44Silas13
05-14-2015, 01:13 PM
yeah he hated SA

Yeah, motherfucking Cheeks was living in a hotel when he was here.

ace3g
08-24-2022, 06:28 PM
I saw him at the Valero on the corner of AT&T Parkway today.

KingKev
08-24-2022, 07:41 PM
Damn. Robertson was ready to go right after. None of this bowing up while backing away. And Skiles ready to go toe to toe with Laimbeer.

The good ol’ days. I wonder how many ppl on this current board have ever been in a real fight?

lmbebo
08-24-2022, 09:42 PM
Remember doing his basketball camps. He got so sick of me asking for autographs every day

dbestpro
08-24-2022, 11:00 PM
Robertson in February 2010 awas arrested for alleged sexual assault of a 14-year-old child, trafficking an underage child for purposes of sex, and forcing a sexual performance by a child. The case against him centered on him allegedly being involved in an underage sex ring. He was among the seven people involved in the case that allegedly forced the girl into prostitution and made her dance at a strip club in Corpus Christi. Following the charges, he posted bail but was in and out of jail several times throughout 2010 until a judge ordered him to stay under house arrest.
State District Judge Jefferson Moore rule in December 2015 that he was innocent of the charges against him. The court determined that the young girl at the center of the investigation had lied about the situation.

dbestpro
08-24-2022, 11:04 PM
Strickland was a douche, but like others have said, was the best PG the Spurs had until the young Tony Parker showed up on the scene.

James Silas was way better than Strickland.

Maddog
08-25-2022, 05:39 AM
For all his faults off the court he was beyond exciting to watch.

https://fadeawayworld.net/.image/ar_4:3%2Cc_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cq_aut o:good%2Cw_1200/MTgwMTMyOTE2OTY0NTY2MTM4/the-only-4-quadruple-doubles-in-nba-history-which-one-was-the-most-impressive.jpg

KingKev
08-25-2022, 05:56 AM
Spurs had quite the wild boys back in the day between Strick, Anderson, Robertson and mad Max. Speaking of Willia Anderson PTR has been doing top 50 Spurs and it is horrible. I’m sure Robertson is up soon.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/platform/amp/2022/8/16/23307355/nba-san-antonio-spurs-50-for-50-number-44-willie-anderson-david-robinson-olympics

dbestpro
08-25-2022, 08:31 AM
When you look at the discussions on Alvin Robertson around the net, it is not about whether he was good but rather why he does not belong in the hall of fame. He was that good of a player and can be argued that he was the best defensive player the Spurs ever had.

exstatic
08-25-2022, 08:42 AM
When you look at the discussions on Alvin Robertson around the net, it is not about whether he was good but rather why he does not belong in the hall of fame. He was that good of a player and can be argued that he was the best defensive player the Spurs ever had.

NBA only resume'. Less than 700 games played, less than 11K points. He was a top defensive player, but he's not a HOFer.

lefty
08-25-2022, 09:36 AM
Darrell Walker was also a tough mofo
Probably why Jordan respected him

Strickland was also ready to throw it down