PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Bird, Magic, Isiah, Wilt and Kareem were better than MJ

lefty
11-07-2014, 02:04 PM
There, I said it

gnsf0946
11-07-2014, 02:07 PM
They were but then Phil and Pippen came along.

Infinite_limit
11-07-2014, 02:16 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-22318-Michael-Jordan-ball-fake-gif-SvYu.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/e2d6fdfd710bf8fe1e04272497ccc8c3/tumblr_n1od3bpYHX1svefdfo3_400.gif

Blake
11-07-2014, 02:19 PM
There, I said it

feel better?

gnsf0946
11-07-2014, 02:19 PM

:lmao thinking MJ is gonna pass the ball

Clipper Nation
11-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Don't forget MVPippen :worthy:

Dad Killer = Bird's bitchPERIOD

lefty
11-07-2014, 02:24 PM
feel better?
Is that what you asked your wife after Lemarcus left ?

Blake
11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Is that what you asked your wife after Lemarcus left ?

oh noes.

Good thread. Will put on instagram

Sean Cagney
11-07-2014, 03:40 PM
:lmao thinking MJ is gonna pass the ball

He did average over 8 assists one year and that is good for a SG..... Just saying.

unforeseen
11-07-2014, 03:43 PM
As long as Kirby doesn't ring.

lefty
11-07-2014, 03:47 PM
He did average over 8 assists one year and that is good for a SG..... Just saying.
He played PG that season, not SG

And he didnt like it

Sean Cagney
11-07-2014, 04:01 PM
He played PG that season, not SG

And he didnt like it
He averaged 8 and 8 correct? 8 Boards and 8 Assists? That is good for a PG wouldn't you say? 8 Boards a game and over 30PPG, impressive no matter how you stack it up.

He replaced someone injured, he did not play the PG the whole year Lefty. He did do it quite a few games but not the whole year.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/01/michael-jordan-point-guard-in-1989-posted-triple-double-10-of-11-games

He was very impressive at the PG position.

lefty
11-07-2014, 04:13 PM
He averaged 8 and 8 correct? 8 Boards and 8 Assists? That is good for a PG wouldn't you say? 8 Boards a game and over 30PPG, impressive no matter how you stack it up.

He replaced someone injured, he did not play the PG the whole year Lefty. He did do it quite a few games but not the whole year.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/01/michael-jordan-point-guard-in-1989-posted-triple-double-10-of-11-games

He was very impressive at the PG position.
but you said "Pretty good for a SG"

but anyway Jordan was so ball dominant before KFC took over; he was going to get his points, and when the defense collapsed on him, he HAD to pass the ball, so he was going to get his assists to.

Cry Havoc
11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
and when the defense collapsed on him, he HAD to pass the ball, so he was going to get his assists to.

Kobe forgot to write this down on a post-it note, evidently.

Cry Havoc
11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
:lol Lefty with the bads again. Terribads. :lol

lefty
11-07-2014, 04:35 PM
:lol Lefty with the bads again. Terribads. :lol Malik Hairston (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18403)

And Cry Havoc, are you still mad bout the Enrique truth nukes we dropped upstairs? :lol

ambchang
11-07-2014, 04:51 PM
People always get this idea that Jordan could do no wrong, and I disagree.

He's a very difficult player to build around, and required a special makeup of a team to win those 6 championships. Look at those two three peat teams, they were pretty much a carbon copy of each other, and it required Phil Jackson, one of the best in stroking egos, to make that work.

We all know Jordan needs someone like a Pippen to win, because he would need another guy who can defend the perimeter and orchestrate the offense, but he also requires a couple of dead eye outside shooters (BJ Armstrong, Paxson, Kerr), a rugged rebounder and interior defender (Grant/Rodman), and a bunch of interchangeable centers who can pass and shoot from 15 (Cartwright, Perdue, Longley). This was an unorthodox lineup, and while none of them are superstar level players (other than Pippen), they all compliment Jordan and made up for his weaknesses.

On the other hand, a player like Bird (82 vs. 86), Magic (80 vs. 87 and 88), and Kareem (71 vs. 85) can all contribute in a different way to a team playing a different role, with a different group of slightly different makeup of a team to win a championship.

It depends what you mean by a better player, but Jordan is not really as good and easy to win a championship with as people make him out to be.

Blake
11-07-2014, 05:21 PM
...they all compliment Jordan and made up for his weaknesses.

Wut weaknesses?

Infinite_limit
11-07-2014, 05:23 PM

He's a very difficult player to build around, and required a special makeup of a team to win those 6 championships. Look at those two three peat teams, they were pretty much a carbon copy of each other, and it required Phil Jackson, one of the best in stroking egos, to make that work.

We all know Jordan needs someone like a Pippen to win, because he would need another guy who can defend the perimeter and orchestrate the offense, but he also requires a couple of dead eye outside shooters (BJ Armstrong, Paxson, Kerr), a rugged rebounder and interior defender (Grant/Rodman), and a bunch of interchangeable centers who can pass and shoot from 15 (Cartwright, Perdue, Longley). This was an unorthodox lineup, and while none of them are superstar level players (other than Pippen), they all compliment Jordan and made up for his weaknesses.

On the other hand, a player like Bird (82 vs. 86), Magic (80 vs. 87 and 88), and Kareem (71 vs. 85) can all contribute in a different way to a team playing a different role, with a different group of slightly different makeup of a team to win a championship.

It depends what you mean by a better player, but Jordan is not really as good and easy to win a championship with as people make him out to be.
Well that was the formula for a 72-10 team. In terms of the Post, they were extremely bare. It was essentially Rodman (Greatest Rebounder Ever) and Kukoc as the versatile 6 '11' guy. Rodman was really the big domino because without him you have to significantly alter the formula.

In that formula you essentially tell Jordan to focus his energy on taking care of all the scoring inside the perimeter. I mean all of it. It's hard to ignore the clutch factor. You could find other SGs like Mitch Richmond to shoulder the scoring for 3.5 Quarters but in the end of games? Knowing MJ had this taken are of, allowed the Bulls to focus on Defense and play with an extremely thin margin. They didn't humiliate opponents in the same manner as Shaq/Kobe but they were consistently better.

So we are basically debating how does the formula change if you give Jordan a Dwight Howard & Irving. While taking away Rodman & Pippen. Or maybe to better fit the talent disparity, give Jordan a Kidd/Nash and Robinson/Ewing

PG: Irving or Kidd/Nash
SG: Jordan
SF: ?
PF: ?
C: Howard or Robinson/Ewing

Isn't it easier to find quality Forwards than Centers or Point Guards? Which SF & PF would be the equivalent of Luc Longley & Ron Harper

Killakobe81
11-07-2014, 06:28 PM
No MJ wasnt perfect and Lebron absolutely had a chance to surpass him. Maybe he is not as easy to build around as a great big but even the great bigs needed good (great) coaches and most of the time (except Dream and Timmy for a season)a HOF #2 and elite perimeter play.

Cry Havoc
11-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Malik Hairston (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18403)

And Cry Havoc, are you still mad bout the Enrique truth nukes we dropped upstairs? :lol

Claiming truth nukes about your own post is just an admission that you're a shit-tier level poster with absolutely no hoops knowledge.

Silver&Black
11-07-2014, 07:08 PM
As long as Kirby doesn't ring.

Sean Cagney
11-07-2014, 07:09 PM
but you said "Pretty good for a SG"

but anyway Jordan was so ball dominant before KFC took over; he was going to get his points, and when the defense collapsed on him, he HAD to pass the ball, so he was going to get his assists to.Yes but on top of all of that he was a winner as well, so it is not like he was a detriment to the team. He got his rings.

BTW he was a SG most of that year he averaged 8 besides 11 games or so, so that would make him a SG.

Joseph Kony
11-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Claiming truth nukes about your own post is just an admission that you're a shit-tier level poster with absolutely no hoops knowledge.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxiyu8Btb1qj3i85.gif

i had to :lol

lefty
11-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Im not the only one who dropped truth nukes upstairs

So no Im not claiming truth nukes about my own posts only

:lol try again

Cry Havoc
11-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Im not the only one who dropped truth nukes upstairs

So no Im not claiming truth nukes about my own posts only

:lol try again

You're including them.

:lmao Admitting you're a shit-tier poster by your own standards. :lmao

:lmao Actively rooting against your own players. :lmao

mkurts
11-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Now cue the "Kobe is better than MJ" thread

lefty
11-08-2014, 02:11 AM
You're including them.

:lmao Admitting you're a shit-tier poster by your own standards. :lmao

:lmao Actively rooting against your own players. :lmao

so little logic in this shitty post from a shitty poster who cant handle truth nukes:lmao

Venti Quattro
11-08-2014, 03:21 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qyhKL0kndbA/T4YVlmIi3hI/AAAAAAAAA_c/DSe6cXIL3nE/s1600/David+Wesley+2.jpg

lefty
11-08-2014, 09:46 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qyhKL0kndbA/T4YVlmIi3hI/AAAAAAAAA_c/DSe6cXIL3nE/s1600/David+Wesley+2.jpg

Bobby Phills killer got fat

ambchang
11-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Wut weaknesses?

You really think Jordan doesn't have any weaknesses? He really is getting overrated now.

Ball dominance, focused on winning individual matchups, freezing out teammates.

During the first three peat, he didn't have the most reliable jumper, trust issues with teammates.

Jordan was great, but he does have weaknesses.

ambchang
11-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Well that was the formula for a 72-10 team. In terms of the Post, they were extremely bare. It was essentially Rodman (Greatest Rebounder Ever) and Kukoc as the versatile 6 '11' guy. Rodman was really the big domino because without him you have to significantly alter the formula.

In that formula you essentially tell Jordan to focus his energy on taking care of all the scoring inside the perimeter. I mean all of it. It's hard to ignore the clutch factor. You could find other SGs like Mitch Richmond to shoulder the scoring for 3.5 Quarters but in the end of games? Knowing MJ had this taken are of, allowed the Bulls to focus on Defense and play with an extremely thin margin. They didn't humiliate opponents in the same manner as Shaq/Kobe but they were consistently better.

So we are basically debating how does the formula change if you give Jordan a Dwight Howard & Irving. While taking away Rodman & Pippen. Or maybe to better fit the talent disparity, give Jordan a Kidd/Nash and Robinson/Ewing

PG: Irving or Kidd/Nash
SG: Jordan
SF: ?
PF: ?
C: Howard or Robinson/Ewing

Isn't it easier to find quality Forwards than Centers or Point Guards? Which SF & PF would be the equivalent of Luc Longley & Ron Harper

Nash, Kidd or any other great pg will not flourish next to Jordan. They all need the ball in their hands.

Cry Havoc
11-08-2014, 12:45 PM
so little logic in this shitty post from a shitty poster who cant handle truth nukes:lmao

Self-declaration of truth nukes = terrible poster. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

lefty
11-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Self-declaration of truth nukes = terrible poster. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Again Im not the only one who dropped them

Can't read :rollin

Cry Havoc
11-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Again Im not the only one who dropped them

Can't read :rollin

Parker saving our ass while you cry into a beer. :lmao

lefty
11-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Parker saving our ass while you cry into a beer. :lmao

:lmao regular season parker

Blake
11-09-2014, 12:41 AM
You really think Jordan doesn't have any weaknesses? He really is getting overrated now.

Ball dominance, focused on winning individual matchups, freezing out teammates.

During the first three peat, he didn't have the most reliable jumper, trust issues with teammates.

Jordan was great, but he does have weaknesses.

I didn't say he didn't. But you're nit picking.

ambchang
11-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I didn't say he didn't. But you're nit picking.

That's not nitpicking, that's real.

That's why he didn't win previously. Jordan can't play with another dominant pg or with a volume scoring center. He takes up huge areas on offense and is ball dominant. Any of those players playing with him will be less effective and will have to reduce their roles.

Blake
11-09-2014, 05:06 PM
That's not nitpicking, that's real.

That's why he didn't win previously. Jordan can't play with another dominant pg or with a volume scoring center. He takes up huge areas on offense and is ball dominant. Any of those players playing with him will be less effective and will have to reduce their roles.

Neat. Name one player ever that didn't have a weakness.

ambchang
11-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Neat. Name one player ever that didn't have a weakness.

None. That's my point.

Blake
11-09-2014, 06:50 PM
None. That's my point.

Well I don't know anyone who seriously thinks MJ has no weakness.

But if you're winning multiple MVPs, multiple championships and multiple scoring titles, then coming up with ":cry he didn't play well with others :cry" you're really picking at nits

lefty
11-09-2014, 06:52 PM
He didnt play well with others

FFS, Bill Cartwright almost broke his legs :lol

Blake
11-09-2014, 06:56 PM
He didnt play well with others

so you're saying being an alpha is a weakness?

Clipper Nation
11-09-2014, 07:06 PM
so you're saying being an alpha is a weakness?

Duncan is an amazing teammate, does that make him less of an alpha?

Blake
11-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Duncan is an amazing teammate, does that make him less of an alpha?

Less of an alpha than MJ? yes, but who isn't?

Shit, MJ was most alpha on a team full of alphas on the dream team

ambchang
11-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Well I don't know anyone who seriously thinks MJ has no weakness.

But if you're winning multiple MVPs, multiple championships and multiple scoring titles, then coming up with ":cry he didn't play well with others :cry" you're really picking at nits

His ball dominance was one of the reasons he required a highly unorthodox team around him. The players with those skill sets weren't overly difficult to find, but it has to be a comparatively similar formula.

Malik Hairston
11-09-2014, 11:50 PM
:lmao Dad Killer, can't even build a team that can beat this year's Lakers :lmao..

Blake
11-10-2014, 09:11 AM
His ball dominance was one of the reasons he required a highly unorthodox team around him. The players with those skill sets weren't overly difficult to find, but it has to be a comparatively similar formula.

So what you're saying is that Jordan won all those championships with players whose skill sets weren't difficult to find?

Whoa what a weakling.

why are you trying so hard to dog MJ?

ambchang
11-10-2014, 10:21 AM
So what you're saying is that Jordan won all those championships with players whose skill sets weren't difficult to find?

Whoa what a weakling.

why are you trying so hard to dog MJ?

Still didn't change that he required a very specific skill set of players to play around him.

Bird, Magic and Duncan all won with a more diverse group of players around him.

Where am I dogging MJ? I am not agreeing that he is the greatest of the greatest and has no peers.

I am not even dogging MJ.

Blake
11-10-2014, 10:52 AM

He's a very difficult player to build around

:cry "I'm not dogging him. I'm just saying he's difficult to build around and he's not a nice teammate. And he's got weaknesses :cry :cry :cry

Blake
11-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Still didn't change that he required a very specific skill set of players to play around him.

Yeah, MJ needed a PG, PF, C and SF to play next to him.

MJ's weak like that.

lefty
11-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Where am I dogging MJ? I am not agreeing that he is the greatest of the greatest and has no peers.

I am not even dogging MJ.
http://media.giphy.com/media/ZdwC0AKiijCzC/giphy.gif

lefty
11-10-2014, 12:41 PM

MJ's weak like that.
- MJ wouldnt have succeeded if he shared the backourt with a traditional PG
- MJ needed a versatile wingman like Scottie, on the offensive end, Pippen was the one who made his teammates better; on the defensive end, Pippen was the one guarding the opponents best perimeter players, not Mike who was overrated as a defensive player
- MJ couldnt have played with an All-Star center; it wouldnt have worked
- MJ needed defensive rebounding PF's

Duncan won with all star centers (Robinson) and shitty centers

He won with spot up shooters, but also with guards/forwards who can create their own shots

He won with a pass first PG (Avery) and a ballhog PG (Enrique)

ambchang
11-10-2014, 01:05 PM
:cry "I'm not dogging him. I'm just saying he's difficult to build around and he's not a nice teammate. And he's got weaknesses :cry :cry :cry

That's not dogging him, that's looking at all the teams Jordan played on and coming to a conclusion.

Jordan had to tone down his game and allowed other players (Pippen, Grant) to shine for his first couple of championships. Before that, he was getting eliminated by Boston and the Pistons while scoring in record breaking fashion, and putting up historical stats.

Pippen and Jackson obviously were keys, but players like Grant, Cartwright, and Paxson often times do not get the credit they deserved.

MJ's weak like that.

He required specific types of each position to play next to him. It really is no coincidence that Jordan is the only alpha SG in NBA history who ever won it all without a dominant big, and the reason is simply the game is built to benefit big guys. Centers (Mikan, Wilt, Russell, Jabbar) have always helped teams win, and even with the rule changes in the league the last few years, there really hasn't been any alpha shooting guards who won it all without a dominant big (Wade came the closest, I suppose).

Pointing that out isn't dogging him, it's talking about the realities of the game. So if I were to build a team from scratch, with no assurances that I can get a Pippen and or a Jackson, I will go with players like Magic, Jabbar, Bird, or even Duncan, knowing full well that I have a better chance to get the other pieces easier than those required around Jordan.

Blake
11-10-2014, 03:11 PM
You've got nothing tangible to back any of that tldr stuff.

If you want to keep nitpicking, go for it. :tu

ambchang
11-10-2014, 03:40 PM
You've got nothing tangible to back any of that tldr stuff.

If you want to keep nitpicking, go for it. :tu

You probably didn't read the back up stuff because of you ADHD.