PDA

View Full Version : city of San Antonio gonna sue the police/fire unions over contracts G

Blake
11-07-2014, 02:14 PM
The City of San Antonio is seeking a legal judgment from the courts regarding a provision in its expired police and fire union contracts that could cost taxpayers nearly $2 million per month in additional health care expenses over the next decade.The city's police and fire contracts expired on Sept. 30. The provision in question provides that, absent a new agreement, the current pacts remain in force until Sept. 30, 2024. City officials contend that, without new agreements, the cost to provide health care for public safety workers will increase $1.6 million per month through September 2024 — consuming more than two-thirds of the total General Fund budget.San Antonio officials say the increased costs would force municipal leaders to cut $14.2 million from the current fiscal year budget, resulting in a reduction in several city services..............

http://m.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2014/11/07/city-of-san-antonio-seeking-declaratory-judgment.html?r=full

Seems to me the city fucked themselves on this one.

boutons_deux
11-07-2014, 02:31 PM

yep, who forced the city to sign the original contracts?

Blake
11-07-2014, 05:30 PM
yep, who forced the city to sign the original contracts?

I wonder if Sculley was around during that time....not that it legally matters much.......but how can she be crying about it if she had signed off on it?

And I also wonder what city services will get the cutbacks for the next decade?

Less pothole repairs I guess

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2014, 07:36 AM
sign business deals b4 election, then new party comes in and rescinds the contract, with penalties to be paid

doesnt make a difference, now ICAC should be investigating that sort of shit who benefits if contract is tendered and rescind, cause it all points to the politicians affiliations benefitting no matter what

pgardn
11-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Our police and fire units are well taken care of.
To well compared to other necessary public servants.

Teachers and nurses wishing they could get some sort of sweet deal. Nurses get screwed privately for the most part, teachers publicly.

Blake
11-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Our police and fire units are well taken care of.
To well compared to other necessary public servants.

Teachers and nurses wishing they could get some sort of sweet deal. Nurses get screwed privately for the most part, teachers publicly.

SA's police and fire get compensated and taken care of better than any other police/fire in the state if I recall. I'll verify if anyone calls bs

Das Texan
11-08-2014, 11:56 PM
SA's police and fire get compensated and taken care of better than any other police/fire in the state if I recall. I'll verify if anyone calls bs

from what i recall, its not even close how generous their benefits are.

we are on the path toward detroit unless we stop this runaway train in all honesty.

glad the police and fire unions really dont give a fuck as long as they get theirs. the fire department not even sitting down is stupid.

Wild Cobra
11-09-2014, 06:12 AM

That's why there should be no union government jobs. Nobody is really accountable.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2014, 06:59 PM
That's why there should be no union government jobs. Nobody is really accountable.

Freedom to assemble is what it is.

Issue is legislating guarantees in an unknown future. How about outlawing that and not violate people's constitutional rights?

Blake
11-21-2014, 11:10 AM
SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Police Officers Association took the gloves off Thursday, taking its fight to the airwaves and launching a barrage of attacks in an ad, against Sheryl Sculley.The ad began airing Thursday morning and doesn't pull any punches, taking aim at the City Manager's pay and the lawsuit filed against SAPOA and the San Antonio Professional Fire Fighters Association.The ad launches straight into an attack, stating, "new from city hall. City Manager sheryl sculley is already the highest paid city manager in Texas. Soon, she'll be making more than even the President of the United States...She filed a suit against the police officers association..."............

More:

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/local/2014/11/20/city-statement-union-sculley-ad/70028076/

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Politicians (city council) voting on civil service salaries and benefits.

bottom line that clause was idiotic. They need to go back to the table to negotiate a new contract

SA police/fire obscene defined benefit and retirement plans have been totally fucked up by vote buying political hacks on city council. Guys are retiring at 50 at full salary and full medical benefits for life.

Only way to break it is to go to a two class (old hire, new hire) system.

Blake
11-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Politicians (city council) voting on civil service salaries and benefits.

bottom line that clause was idiotic. They need to go back to the table to negotiate a new contract

SA police/fire obscene defined benefit and retirement plans have been totally fucked up by vote buying political hacks on city council. Guys are retiring at 50 at full salary and full medical benefits for life.

Only way to break it is to go to a two class (old hire, new hire) system.

Police and fire don't have to negotiate. That's what makes that clause so stupid.

Sculley's option is to put a hiring freeze on cops/fire fighters, but the union will continue to attack her for threatening public safety.

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2014, 02:54 PM
agree that the clause is stupid and should never have been included.

Also agree that paying them to retire at 50 with $60,000 a year salary inflation adjusted and 100% free life, health, dental, optical, and legal assistance for them and their family for life is fucking insane.

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Any of you guys buy health insurance? You should demand the police/fire plan. Health, dental, and optical is free for them and the whole family and has a $600 max out of pocket. By Obamacare guidelines that is even better than platinum.

boutons_deux
11-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Any of you guys buy health insurance? You should demand the police/fire plan. Health, dental, and optical is free for them and the whole family and has a $600 max out of pocket. By Obamacare guidelines that is even better than platinum.

sounds like the pension/health care politicians vote themselves. any right-wingers bitchin about that?

Das Texan
11-21-2014, 04:18 PM

its fucking insane and why i have said that unless we fix it fast, we are on the path of fucking detroit.

Wild Cobra
11-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Anyone voting for such union contracts at the government level should be jailed for life.

Nbadan
11-22-2014, 03:23 PM
That is a sweet a deal...plus a cop or fireman can work overtime and make more money...lots more money.....teachers and other civil servants get shit for working overtime...nothing...