PDA

View Full Version : Is this going to be the most boring regular season..

Malik Hairston
11-07-2014, 03:30 PM
in recent franchise history, tbh?..

I still watch every game that I can(missed last night's "game"), but it's lacking the excitement of previous years..there's a lack of mystery with the Spurs..

With all the injuries and extreme coasting, following a year where they were arguably the most impressive championship team in NBA history, it feels like it's going to be a very uneventful season IMO..

All these regular season games feel so pointless after last year's run, especially when you look back at the middle of last regular season("Spurs can't beat the top teams"), and all these teams peaking early and playing for the regular season championship(Houston, Golden State, etc)..

CitizenDwayne
11-07-2014, 03:32 PM
all these teams peaking early and playing for the regular season championship(Houston, Golden State, etc)..

Forgot Sactown

PingPong
11-07-2014, 03:32 PM
And another Spurs vs LeBron finals...

Malik Hairston
11-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Last year's Spurs team had the "revenge" factor, so it was fun watching the regular season and trying to figure out whether the ending of the 2013 Finals would affect them from an emotional standpoint..

This year's team doesn't have any motivation, and it's tough to even show concern about any of their losses after watching them turn it on late last year:lol..

It's not going to stop the annual cliff-jumping, though:lol..

BatManu20
11-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I don't care how it looks, just how it ends, tbh.

wildcardX
11-07-2014, 03:40 PM
The regular season and the games itself seem boring. Can't find much discussion on this board other than the game thread and typical cliff jumping threads. Although I do want to see the big 3 play as much as I can, don't know if this is the last year all three will play together.

BatManu20
11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
I will say, that if you're a fan of the NBA and not just the Spurs, then luckily there's a lot of other good story lines happening in the NBA to keep us entertained, tbh.

Malik Hairston
11-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I will say, that if you're a fan of the NBA and not just the Spurs, then luckily there's a lot of other good story lines happening in the NBA to keep us entertained, tbh.

I agree, I'll always watch the NBA and follow it closely, but from a Spurs perspective, last year's run has made this regular season very unimportant:lol..

It's just tough to take it seriously when we've seen everybody anoint teams like the Clippers and bury the Spurs the past 2 years, based on their respective performances in the 1st half of the season:lol..

BatManu20
11-07-2014, 03:45 PM
I agree, I'll always watch the NBA and follow it closely, but from a Spurs perspective, last year's run has made this regular season very unimportant:lol..

Also, it's a bit ironical how all off-season you can't wait for the season to start, and then it finally gets here and after a couple weeks you're bored and ready for the playoffs, tbh :lol

RD2191
11-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I was just thinking about this last night.Spurs really don't have anything to prove. Houston swept them in the region season last year and they couldn't even make it out of the first round. We know what the Spurs are and when they're healthy and playing their game there is no team that can beat them.

Malik Hairston
11-07-2014, 03:53 PM
I was just thinking about this last night.Spurs really don't have anything to prove. Houston swept them in the region season last year and they couldn't even make it out of the first round. We know what the Spurs are and when they're healthy and playing their game there is no team that can beat them.

Houston is probably the best example of a regular-season team, along with Portland, tbh:lol..

DrSteffo
11-07-2014, 04:07 PM
So what tbh

timtonymanu
11-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Agreed. I haven't been invested much into the Spurs this regular season. I didn't even know who they were playing on this b2b, tbh. For me, I'm still just enjoying the championship. My interest will pick up around March next year.It's pointless to take away anything from these games right now

Cry Havoc
11-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Houston is probably the best example of a regular-season team, along with Portland, tbh:lol..

Portland has potential going forward, though. They're young, and if LMA ever figures out he's not a shooting guard, they're going to be a much tougher team to out.

AFBlue
11-07-2014, 06:32 PM
I actually had a hard time getting into last season in the early going because of the bad hangover from 6. Truthfully, I think the hard part of getting into this season early for me is the injury to Patty Mills. I feel like if all the key players were healthy this team would've gonr on an uncharacteristic early run. But it's the same old game as last year...keep on even keel, bide your time and get rolling at the right moment.

Uriel
11-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Truer posts have never been written. Hopefully the action picks up midway through the season.

Chomag
11-07-2014, 07:11 PM
We Spurs fans are just spoiled with "It's only (insert month)"

Sean Cagney
11-07-2014, 07:19 PM
I actually had a hard time getting into last season in the early going because of the bad hangover from 6. Truthfully, I think the hard part of getting into this season early for me is the injury to Patty Mills. I feel like if all the key players were healthy this team would've gonr on an uncharacteristic early run. But it's the same old game as last year...keep on even keel, bide your time and get rolling at the right moment.

Last year I could not wait for the season to begin and get through it so they had another shot at the title, this year they won it all so I am more relaxed and paying attention less right now because I know this is meaningless at the beginning of the year. I wanted them to have HC last year and they started out hot so I was interested right away, this year they are still finding their way and have the Championship hangover IMO and it will take time to iron out.

BTW check their record last year, they came out of the gates winning and did not start out typically slow! They were hungry from day one to get HC last year. The number 6 Motivated them all summer and into all of last year.

wildchild
11-07-2014, 07:27 PM
This year's team doesn't have any motivation

I think they have enough motivation to try a repeat.

Anyway, this season is likely the last ride for the Big 3 and I don't want to think about Tim's departure, but just in case, I'll try to enjoy every game of these three guys, even the bad and ugly.

KL2
11-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Nothing compared to the days of Finley/thomas/Oberto/Bogans/Udoka, now that was BAD. I remember 1 year they literally had like less than 10 dunks the entire season lmao, might've been 4 if I remember correctly.

FireMicoHalili
11-07-2014, 07:29 PM
I don't care how it looks, just how it ends, tbh.

siraulo23
11-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Duncan is enough reason to make the regular season worth watching

you all realize this could be his final season...

wildchild
11-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Nothing compared to the days of Finley/thomas/Oberto/Bogans/Udoka, now that was BAD. I remember 1 year they literally had like less than 10 dunks the entire season lmao, might've been 4 if I remember correctly.

Agree but they didn't look so bad in 2007, we won a ring with Finley and Oberto in the starting lineup.

Oberto wasn't athletic but he was an extremely smart bigman and had a very high basketball IQ, I think he played really well against Boozer/Okur in the WCF and did a pretty good job against Varejao/Ilgauskas in the finals.

Hoops Czar
11-07-2014, 07:58 PM
The Spurs have never won b2b but, they lack motivation.:lol Could be the last chance.

Darius McCrary
11-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Depends on your perspective.

I take it as playing with house money. We've pocketed the 1 million dollars we won on black jack and now we're seeing what we can do with 100k we want to play with. No biggie.

This season will be fun as hell. I only wish I could watch it closely.

timtonymanu
11-07-2014, 09:13 PM

That was more ugly and frustrating than boring. Actually I hated the 2009 season but that season had some memorable game winners. :lol

Captivus
11-07-2014, 09:17 PM
This happens because Spurs fans are use to watching POs games and a lot of finals...
Trust me, Houston Golden State, Memphis and other fans, are having a good time.

Malik Hairston
11-07-2014, 10:02 PM
I think they have enough motivation to try a repeat.

Anyway, this season is likely the last ride for the Big 3 and I don't want to think about Tim's departure, but just in case, I'll try to enjoy every game of these three guys, even the bad and ugly.

The motivation to repeat is obvious, but that doesn't have much to do with the regular season IMO..

This team didn't "turn it on" last year until Kawhi's return in February, they struggled heavily against other good teams up to that point(which caused everybody to count them out, including half the fanbase)..they barely beat bad teams, and got killed against good teams..

It appears that they're going to give even less effort during this year's regular season, which is exacerbated by the injuries to key rotation players(remember, Patty won several games all by himself on offense last year:lol)..I expect this Spurs team to get the 3/4 seed, tbh..

apalisoc_9
11-07-2014, 10:21 PM
09-10 was worse IMO..

FireMicoHalili
11-07-2014, 10:24 PM
probably due to lack of games early on and that the Spurs aren't playing with a full squad. The team isn't obliged to entertain anyone.

Joseph Kony
11-07-2014, 10:36 PM
They'll wake up some time in February. Serious coasting tbh

taps
11-07-2014, 10:51 PM
It's just tough to take it seriously when we've seen everybody anoint teams like the Clippers and bury the Spurs the past 2 years, based on their respective performances in the 1st half of the season:lol..

The Clippers already won back2back championships what are you talking about? They're old money at this point.

xmas1997
11-07-2014, 11:28 PM

This is true.

B2B titles would be a nice thing to have, something that has eluded them.

It is early, maybe we just have basketball fatigue!

Galileo
11-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Also, it's a bit ironical how all off-season you can't wait for the season to start, and then it finally gets here and after a couple weeks you're bored and ready for the playoffs, tbh :lol

my feelings exactly.

scanry
11-08-2014, 01:06 AM
I've never felt so bored during games like i did this past week and it's not just the Spurs tbh. I remember watching tv shows during the (3rd & 4th quarter) of Spurs games this past week.

Emotionally, last year's run has the Spurs on empty and i don't know when they'll flip the switch. And btw the turnovers are killing the Spurs. Maybe other teams have figured us out but it's still too early.

I remember the Lakers went through this during the 2001 regular season. The 2000 championship made the Lakers satisfied and only in April, 2001 did they pick it up.

BatManu20
11-08-2014, 01:22 AM
Emotionally, last year's run has the Spurs on empty and i don't know when they'll flip the switch. And btw the turnovers are killing the Spurs. Maybe other teams have figured us out but it's still too early.

This x100. Turnovers plague this team for some reason. When we keep those down, we almost never lose. The problem is we can't seem to keep them down.

Spursfanfromafar
11-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Two-three things to keep me interested as the Spurs plod along the regular season:

a) Shifting/ or atleast working out a way to keep the offense Kawhi centric. Meaning..retain all that ball movement but involve Kawhi more.
b) Developing Anderson & Joseph more.
c) See if there is a way they can prise a decent PF in the trade deadline to replace one or two of the Ayres/Bonner/Baynes combo.
d) What new can Messina add to the wrinkle to make the Spurs even more potent against the athletic big teams?

Malik Hairston
12-27-2014, 04:07 AM
By far the most boring season in a while, excluding the 2 3-OT games, tbh..

I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs continue to struggle and then turn it on later and attempt to make history once again, at least it would provide some entertainment :lol..