Looks good, too.

In Chris Nolan, we trust.

Might go tomorrow.

Robz4000
11-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Looks good, too.

In Chris Nolan, we trust.

Might go tomorrow.

Just be ready for a sore back; 3 hours long.

Robz4000
11-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Also, see if you can find any quotes from McCanaghey's Lincoln commercial. There were several :lol...

jeebus
11-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Pass.

xellos88330
11-07-2014, 11:21 PM
I was thinking about going to see this, but I gotta take my kids to see that new Pixar flick.

SnakeBoy
11-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Great, great movie

Good to hear, I'm going to see it tomorrow. Reviews range from A+ to it sucks, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Robz4000
11-08-2014, 01:28 AM
Good to hear, I'm going to see it tomorrow. Reviews range from A+ to it sucks, so I'm not sure what to expect.

If you're an analytical thinker you'll like it

lefty
11-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Great movie , but visually

Otherwise it's meh

Reck
11-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Great movie , but visually

Otherwise it's meh

Would you suck Nolan for free Lefty? Your idol!

RD2191
11-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Seems fucking stupid.

Trainwreck2100
11-08-2014, 09:42 AM
I was thinking about going to see this, but I gotta take my kids to see that new Pixar flick.
That shit weren't pixar

benefactor
11-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Going tomorrow tbh.

Proxy
11-08-2014, 01:00 PM
There were parts of it that I loved. Then there were parts that I absolutely hated.

Some of the concepts were really cool, and visually it was great.

I'd advise anyone that knows anything about space to ignore the science. Don't analyze anything they're saying... I mean, some moments made me cringe. Too many characters to care about, imo. A lot of expository dialogue.

It's worth seeing though. It isn't a masterpiece by any means. I'd say movies like this are good examples of why Nolan is overrated in terms of being mentioned with the all-time great directors.

AlexJones
11-08-2014, 01:05 PM
I miss pre-visuals Nolan

TE
11-08-2014, 02:06 PM
10/10...the fact that Kip Thorne actually consulted in this movie to make some of the most theoretical ideas seem real puts it up there. Great cast, Matt McCon is a beast tbh.

This movie is a total mindfuck as well. It's well worth the price of admission imo.

jeebus
11-08-2014, 04:26 PM
:lol going to see a movie for the graphics
:lol hollywood turning into the video game industry

rogues
11-08-2014, 04:32 PM
That scene with the black hole tho:wow..

SnakeBoy
11-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I'd give it 8/10, it fell apart a little towards the end. Well, I was finishing off my 2nd pitcher of beer by then so maybe I fell apart and not the movie. Either way I enjoyed it and it's well worth the price of admission.

lefty
11-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Would you suck Nolan for free Lefty? Your idol!

Nolan is good but he is overrated

The Batman trilogy was great but it wasn't flawless

dbreiden83080
11-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Good movie that fell apart in the last act. It's great visually but has some rather large plot holes. The ending was terrible TBH and kind of ruined a lot of the emotional connection he supposedly had with his daughter. Hathaways character was kind of a waste in the movie too..

dbreiden83080
11-08-2014, 09:31 PM
I'd say movies like this are good examples of why Nolan is overrated in terms of being mentioned with the all-time great directors.

He comes up with a lot of interesting concepts and always tries to hit it out of the park. However his scripts are often overly complicated and his films are routinely too long..

DJR210
11-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Did you see the grass? :wow

monosylab1k
11-09-2014, 02:18 AM
Really good but it starts getting weak around when Matt Damon shows up, then when it gets all abstract and vaguely spiritual while trying to maintain that it's non-spiritual it kinda lost me.

Proxy
11-09-2014, 03:49 PM
He comes up with a lot of interesting concepts and always tries to hit it out of the park. However his scripts are often overly complicated and his films are routinely too long..

Completely agree. :tu

I think it's been downhill since Memento. His editing and issues with continuity are almost embarrassing, and his characters are usually off in terms of emotion and their relationships with others.... like you said. Overly complicated scripts.

Mentioning the concepts... He seems to get more ambitious every time which is cool and all, but ultimately magnifies his weaknesses more and more.

benefactor
11-09-2014, 07:04 PM

Completely agree. :tu

I think it's been downhill since Memento. His editing and issues with continuity are almost embarrassing, and his characters are usually off in terms of emotion and their relationships with others.... like you said. Overly complicated scripts.

Mentioning the concepts... He seems to get more ambitious every time which is cool and all, but ultimately magnifies his weaknesses more and more.
I felt the same. It was a good movie and I'd recommend it but one will definitely come away feeling like Nolan tried a little too hard to fit a big, complicated idea on a screen that just wasn't quite big enough.

Robz4000
11-09-2014, 09:19 PM
My one big issue with the film was the whole bullshit about "gravity being the only thing that can travel through time". Unique concept but all-in-all kinda retarded.

Trill Clinton
11-09-2014, 10:29 PM
man, that endinghttp://i62.tinypic.com/bi9s0n.png

G-Nob
11-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Too obtuse for the populous. Takes too damn long to prove it's point and by the time you get there you're exhausted and upset you waited(and paid) for it. I love Nolan but he tends to get too cutesy with his mindgame antics.

scanry
11-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Nolan is good but he is overrated

The Batman trilogy was great but it wasn't flawless

The first two were damn near flawless tbh. The Prestige was pretty underrated thou. Loved that movie.

benefactor
11-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Agreed. Prestige was great.

The Gemini Method
11-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Waiting for this movie to come on stream...maybe i'll fork out the dinero to catch it live.

benefactor
11-13-2014, 01:00 PM
It's worth going to IMAX just for the kick ass visuals.

The Gemini Method
11-13-2014, 01:01 PM
It's worth going to IMAX just for the kick ass visuals.

Hopefully I'll be able to do that--IMAX has a way of triggering my migraines so maybe i'll have to try it out.

G-Nob
11-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Btw, what is the deal with the IMAX at the Rivercenter? You have to accidentally stumble upon it to find it.

AussieFanKurt
11-13-2014, 05:06 PM
I thought it was excellent... all the gripes I heard were just nitpicking shit... thanks again Nolan

Favourite Nolan films (in order):
Memento
The Dark Knight
Interstellar
Inception
Batman Begins
Insomnia
.... The Dark Knight Rises

Haven't seen Prestige or Following

Jacob1983
11-13-2014, 11:10 PM
I liked it. I'm sure it will get nominated for some Oscars. I thought Jessica Chastain was cute in it. Matt Damon was a bad choice for crazy astronaut. Not convincing at all. The movie is long but you get that when you see a Nolan film. I wish there had been some stuff about them training to go into outer space. I saw it in IMAX and certain parts were intense especially the black hole scene. I liked this better than Gravity. That movie was overrated and shouldn't have been in the Best Picture field. I would have swapped it out for Rush. Rush was far superior than Gravity.

Fabbs
11-13-2014, 11:30 PM
Pass.

jeebus knows how to do a movie review, and a sci fi at that. See Oblivion review.

For those of you who have seen it, does this thing even have a story or is it all just visuals with McCongnohe being an airhead?
Nolans other stuff, primarily Batman was just blow shit up, rinse and repeat.

Spur|n|Austin
11-14-2014, 12:35 AM
I thought it was great, saw it on 70mm so visually it was awesome; it was also well written and thought out, imo. I know he's not the say all for every sci-fi movie, but Neil DeGrassi said every aspect of it was scientifically on par.

Hathaways character was kind of a waste in the movie too..

How so? Her character was the staple that proved both plan A and plan B could be completed.

AlexJones
11-14-2014, 01:23 AM
1. Memento, nothing had ever left me jaw dropping like the "Do I lie to myself to be happy?" part.
2. Prestige
3. 2008 Batman
4. Inception
5. Insomnia (weak plot compared to other Nolans but Robin Williams made it worth watching.)

Jacob1983
11-14-2014, 04:16 AM
So many different formats for the movie. I saw it in IMAX. I think there is 35MM, 70MM, digital, and IMAX and a couple other formats that the movie is in. I have no idea what the differences are. I was a little mad that there were black bars when I saw it on the IMAX screen. I want the movie on the whole screen.

jeebus
11-14-2014, 07:00 AM
jeebus knows how to do a movie review, and a sci fi at that. See Oblivion review.

For those of you who have seen it, does this thing even have a story or is it all just visuals with McCongnohe being an airhead?
Nolans other stuff, primarily Batman was just blow shit up, rinse and repeat.
Did you see Edge of Tomorrow? That shit was really damn good too. Cruise with the rare back to back sci fi hits.

Buddy Mignon
11-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Decent film, but far from great. I see where Nolan was trying to go with the whole metaphysical aspect of life, and science, but even a film of nearly three hours would have been impossible to cover the points he's chasing. The editing in this film was shitty... too many scenes where the music drowned out the characters voice. The first 30 minutes of the film was a waste a time. At no point did I feel the world was in danger of ending... other than them actually just saying it. He should have started the film off in space and then cut back just to fill in the gaps about the issues on earth. Damon flopped and did a poor job from his opening scene. Basically, I left the film with the feeling Nolan turned in his first draft of an essay.

TDMVPDPOY
11-14-2014, 08:58 AM
isnt memento a korean remake?

ezau
11-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Great movie. Scientifically speaking, it was scientifically accurate, and I like how Nolan visualized time from a different dimension as well as traveling through a blackhole. It's a great movie if you're a science nerd, but if you're not, you'll have trouble appreciating some concepts. I give props to Nolan for even attempting to make a movie about relativity, blackholes, and human extinction.

Jacob1983
11-16-2014, 12:03 AM
This is a spoiler alert question.

When McConnaughey was drifting in outer space after he saved the day, can someone explain how he was saved? Was it because he had changed the past or because of the time difference? All of that shit had been discovered and invented when he woke up. Was the time he spent floating in space after figuring it out like a lifetime in time on Earth or did he change the past? Because the only way he could have been saved is if he had changed the past or if so much time has passed on earth that there were people in space that could save him.

MultiTroll
11-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Did you see Edge of Tomorrow? That shit was really damn good too. Cruise with the rare back to back sci fi hits.
No. The trailers looked like more mindless blow shit up stuff.
jeebus has spoken. I will watch.

Robz4000
11-16-2014, 02:59 AM
This is a spoiler alert question.

When McConnaughey was drifting in outer space after he saved the day, can someone explain how he was saved? Was it because he had changed the past or because of the time difference? All of that shit had been discovered and invented when he woke up. Was the time he spent floating in space after figuring it out like a lifetime in time on Earth or did he change the past? Because the only way he could have been saved is if he had changed the past or if so much time has passed on earth that there were people in space that could save him.

He ended up about 80-90 years in the future after his stint in that higher dimension shit.

Proxy
11-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Decent film, but far from great. I see where Nolan was trying to go with the whole metaphysical aspect of life, and science, but even a film of nearly three hours would have been impossible to cover the points he's chasing. The editing in this film was shitty... too many scenes where the music drowned out the characters voice. The first 30 minutes of the film was a waste a time. At no point did I feel the world was in danger of ending... other than them actually just saying it. He should have started the film off in space and then cut back just to fill in the gaps about the issues on earth. Damon flopped and did a poor job from his opening scene. Basically, I left the film with the feeling Nolan turned in his first draft of an essay.

I agree with a pretty much all of this. Nolan has always been shitty at editing.

It was overly sentimental, the plot was disorganized, and way too much fucking exposition.

Findog
11-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Okay so in the end Cooper can only send the message to Murph because of the technology of the Tesseract, but the technology is only obtained by his message, so it's a chicken or the egg sort of paradox as to what came first. So there were two timelines. What we see in the movie are the events that happen in the second timeline. The first timeline takes place off screen.

First Timeline:

Much of what happens in the second timeline also happens in the first timeline. The wormhole opens. Mann, Brand and Cooper work on the Lazarus Project. Just as it happened in the second timeline, Brand and Cooper are in the same position after visiting Mann's ice planet, and so Cooper sacrifices himself in Gargantua so that Brand can escape to the desert planet to start the colony. Brand institutes Plan B on the desert world. Those people go on to evolve into Humanity's future, with a stable Black Hole to guide their sciences. They evolve to work in the 5th dimension, and decide they want to save their ancestors. THEY find Cooper in Gargantua and create the Tesseract for him. Remember at the beginning of the movie where Cooper is dreaming about his doomed training mission that caused him to leave NASA? Well in the first timeline he never crashes. He never leaves NASA, thus he never gets married and starts a family. He goes on the Lazarus Project without any familial attachments. They initiate their original gravity burst to down Cooper's training flight for the original Lazarus mission. This leads Cooper to leave the program, marry someone, and have children. This change creates a second timeline, and creates Murph, key to their plan.

Second Timeline:

This is what we see in the movie. THEY cannot interact with Murph, because she did not exist in their original timeline, so they use Cooper in the Tesseract to communicate with her, via love and gravity. His purpose here is two-fold: to guide himself back to Lazarus after THEY diverted him and to bring Murph into Lazarus, to fulfill the promise of Brand's Plan A. The message with the coordinates leading to the secret NASA facility leads to Cooper rejoining Lazarus just as before and in the process it realigns his second timeline with his first. Once in the Tesseract again (or the same original time due to 5th dimension mechanics) he relays the TARS data to Murph and she makes Plan A a reality. Cooper Station lifts off as a sort of galactic Noah's Ark, and begins it's slow trek towards the Wormhole.

Cooper is released from the Tesseract, and recovered on Cooper Station just outside Saturn for a final reunion with Murph before she dies. He then leaves in a ship to rejoin Brand on the desert planet, knowing that because of time dilation not nearly as much time has passed for her locally. Cooper and Brand create the second age of Humanity, those that will become THEY as they wait for the survivors of Earth to reach them in their slow gravity ship that is Cooper Station.

mingus
11-16-2014, 08:33 PM
I give the movie a B, 8.5. I thought the relationships between the characters felt weak. Most of the characters had little depth. The story was cool but I would've liked Nolan to explain in more depth how and why there was dust storms at that frequency. Also who and why placed the black hole near his house? The ending explains some future beings but who were they and why did they have a vested interest in helping out? Maybe I missed those parts idunno.

Visually the movie was stunning the the all important story and character building aspects fell short for me. It's too bad because I like Nolan's movies a lot and expected an all-time great movie, which it wasn't.

InRareForm
11-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Felt like Contact 2 with better visuals.

Jacob1983
11-16-2014, 10:52 PM
So Cooper only spent like 10 minutes in that dimension portal so in real time, it was 90 years? With that time gone by, all of that stuff had been discovered and built?

Findog
11-17-2014, 12:15 AM
So Cooper only spent like 10 minutes in that dimension portal so in real time, it was 90 years? With that time gone by, all of that stuff had been discovered and built?

Time does not exist really inside the tesseract. The idea is that outside of the four dimensions we know, you experience time differently...or you aren't governed or restricted by it. When he was in the tesseract he was able to view Murph's entire lifespan basically as a bird's eye view of time, whereas we experience time in a more linear fashion.

Spur|n|Austin
11-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Okay so in the end Cooper can only send the message to Murph because of the technology of the Tesseract, but the technology is only obtained by his message, so it's a chicken or the egg sort of paradox as to what came first. So there were two timelines. What we see in the movie are the events that happen in the second timeline. The first timeline takes place off screen.

First Timeline:

Much of what happens in the second timeline also happens in the first timeline. The wormhole opens. Mann, Brand and Cooper work on the Lazarus Project. Just as it happened in the second timeline, Brand and Cooper are in the same position after visiting Mann's ice planet, and so Cooper sacrifices himself in Gargantua so that Brand can escape to the desert planet to start the colony. Brand institutes Plan B on the desert world. Those people go on to evolve into Humanity's future, with a stable Black Hole to guide their sciences. They evolve to work in the 5th dimension, and decide they want to save their ancestors. THEY find Cooper in Gargantua and create the Tesseract for him. Remember at the beginning of the movie where Cooper is dreaming about his doomed training mission that caused him to leave NASA? Well in the first timeline he never crashes. He never leaves NASA, thus he never gets married and starts a family. He goes on the Lazarus Project without any familial attachments. They initiate their original gravity burst to down Cooper's training flight for the original Lazarus mission. This leads Cooper to leave the program, marry someone, and have children. This change creates a second timeline, and creates Murph, key to their plan.

Second Timeline:

This is what we see in the movie. THEY cannot interact with Murph, because she did not exist in their original timeline, so they use Cooper in the Tesseract to communicate with her, via love and gravity. His purpose here is two-fold: to guide himself back to Lazarus after THEY diverted him and to bring Murph into Lazarus, to fulfill the promise of Brand's Plan A. The message with the coordinates leading to the secret NASA facility leads to Cooper rejoining Lazarus just as before and in the process it realigns his second timeline with his first. Once in the Tesseract again (or the same original time due to 5th dimension mechanics) he relays the TARS data to Murph and she makes Plan A a reality. Cooper Station lifts off as a sort of galactic Noah's Ark, and begins it's slow trek towards the Wormhole.

Cooper is released from the Tesseract, and recovered on Cooper Station just outside Saturn for a final reunion with Murph before she dies. He then leaves in a ship to rejoin Brand on the desert planet, knowing that because of time dilation not nearly as much time has passed for her locally. Cooper and Brand create the second age of Humanity, those that will become THEY as they wait for the survivors of Earth to reach them in their slow gravity ship that is Cooper Station.

:tu

monosylab1k
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM

No, while the ship was using Gargantua to slingshot Brand to the next planet, the same effect of time slowing down affected them. Cooper even says something to Brand to the effect of "This move is gonna cost us 60 years" or somesuch.

Buddy Mignon
11-17-2014, 06:54 PM
I agree with a pretty much all of this. Nolan has always been shitty at editing.

It was overly sentimental, the plot was disorganized, and way too much fucking exposition.

Also, aside from childhood Murph, did anyone give a shit about any of the other characters? When the brotha was killed I was relieved that the robot actually survived when he came running out. The guy that was killed by the 100ft tidal wave deserved to die. Who the fuck drag asses in the face of something so dangerous. I went to see it again and this is his worst film without a doubt. Nolan fanbois will suck his cock even if he filmed ants playing hop scotch... but oh well.

Proxy
11-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Also, aside from childhood Murph, did anyone give a shit about any of the other characters? When the brotha was killed I was relieved that the robot actually survived when he came running out. The guy that was killed by the 100ft tidal wave deserved to die. Who the fuck drag asses in the face of something so dangerous. I went to see it again and this is his worst film without a doubt. Nolan fanbois will suck his cock even if he filmed ants playing hop scotch... but oh well.

Yeah, I didn't care for any of the supporting characters other than young Murph. Chastain, Caine, Damon, and Hathaway were all pretty boring, and their motives seemed really forced. Nolan is weak at portraying character's emotions and relationships with each other. Then Grace and Affleck were pointless.

We have a movie about the future of humanity... human nature v science, and you start talking about love? I wanted the tidal wave to kill everyone at that point.

ezau
11-18-2014, 02:38 AM

First Timeline:

Second Timeline:

Awesome take, tbh.

ezau
11-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Yeah, I didn't care for any of the supporting characters other than young Murph. Chastain, Caine, Damon, and Hathaway were all pretty boring, and their motives seemed really forced. Nolan is weak at portraying character's emotions and relationships with each other. Then Grace and Affleck were pointless.

We have a movie about the future of humanity... human nature v science, and you start talking about love? I wanted the tidal wave to kill everyone at that point.

All of humanity died in the movie, tbh, although it was merely implied. Those who created the 'Tesseract' and the gigantic wormhole near Saturn were the descendants of humanity, who decided 10 billion years from the future to save their ancestors. Findog actually explained this extremely well.

scanry
11-18-2014, 05:39 AM
Watched the movie without much expectations the other day. Came out pleasantly surprised with the output. However this was very unlike Nolan because most of the cast like Topher, Casey, Caine and Matt Damon were out of character. They looked out of sync the whole movie. The Donald character though limited was great. Chastain was the only saving grace tbh. BTW Ann Hathaway looked 40 in this movie. McConaughey was alright but Nolan could've gotten better.

Didn't feel long, but Nolan could've trimmed the movie by 10-20 min though.

AlexJones
11-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Sitting in that theatre for the entire 3 hours was ridiculous.

redzero
11-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Matt Damon wouldn't shut up, would he? I guess that's a side effect of being alone for decades.

The soundtrack was amazing, and the scene where Cooper tries to reconnect to Endurance was jaw dropping. I hope more films get filmed with those IMAX cameras, because movies are so much better in IMAX.

Cry Havoc
12-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Just saw this last night. Fantastic stuff. The "love binding" part was pretty hokey, but other than that, great hard sci-fi, nice mix of dystopian and optimistic elements.

The first time you see that 800ft+ high wave... wow. :wow

AlexJones
12-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Matt Damon wouldn't shut up, would he? I guess that's a side effect of being alone for decades.

The soundtrack was amazing, and the scene where Cooper tries to reconnect to Endurance was jaw dropping. I hope more films get filmed with those IMAX cameras, because movies are so much better in IMAX.

Switching between the 2.35:1 aspect ratio to 16:9 is annoying though

Pauly D
12-10-2014, 10:51 PM
What a fucking awesome movie. The score was perfect. The only complaint was Damon's character. He himself was a distraction casting wise but his character was also just kind of a dud.

When they came back from that planet after 20 yrs....damn :cry

DPG21920
12-10-2014, 11:55 PM
This was one of the best movies, all things considered (plot, acting, visuals, ambition), that I have seen in a long, long time.

Pauly D
12-11-2014, 12:54 AM
ca_Cv7seV4Y

this shit right here. So simple but I can't stop listening. Especially the last third, the transition from him leaving his daughter to the rocket launching. Fucking beautiful. That shit got me, the returning from the first planet and seeing his kids grown, and then the end:

"How'd you know?"

"Because my dad promised me."

fuck me

Chastain was the only saving grace tbh. BTW Ann Hathaway looked 40 in this movie. McConaughey was alright but Nolan could've gotten better.

wtf? McC KILLED it. Chastain was awesome too but not as much room for her to do the Oscar stuff as McC. That motherfucker had me tearing up twice.

mojorizen7
12-11-2014, 02:47 AM
I was along for the ride until we got the Matt Damon Bad astronaut stuff. Completely took me out of the movie. Then Nolan decides like he always does to change the ground rules as the movie goes along(usually a few times in the last 40 minutes or so). THIS is the narrative and the universe we're in...but now i'm going to give you THIS...so that other stuff i pretentiously sold you on now means THIS so that i can take the audience HERE instead of where they thought it was going

He did the same shit in Inception. Brilliant imagination as a writer/director, but it's so convoluted and pretentious.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Glad I saw it at the Bullock Museum IMAX. Makes a good movie an event. :tu

HI-FI
12-24-2014, 07:11 PM
I finally caught this one the other night on a 4K screen. I held off on seeing it, mainly because I've been busy but also the trailers weren't doing it for me.

Glad I did catch it though on the big screen. I see so many people shit on Nolan's third acts, Interstellar included, but I had more of a problem with the beginning. The first third felt sloppy and wonky to me, hard to explain. Perhaps it was the writing or directing, but I had some eye rolling moments. Then I slowly started to really dig the movie, warts and all. Ironically I really enjoyed it once Damon shows up, which is a divisive moment for some. The mindfuck ending was really cool with me as well, similar to 2001's ending in ways.

But this doesn't hold a candle to 2001, which is pure cinema to me. Still overall I liked it, perhaps even more than Inception. Both films had too much exposition which I don't like about Nolan but it felt more streamlined in this. I'll admit the science went over my head, even Nolan said he didn't really get it, but it's more about the emotional journey, so I think it actually worked in that sense more than Inception.

Also, I had no problems with the sound mix. There were some things I couldn't hear but nothing major. I also think this is some of Zimmer's best work since Thin Red Line, which I've owned that soundtrack for years and I know Nolan is a big fan as well.

Overall I'd give Interstellar 4 out of 5 stars.

I need to check it out at the Bullock Museum, it looks like it will be gone by the 28th of December. I've seen Dark Knight, Inception and Dark Knight Rises there so gotta keep up tradition.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2014, 07:42 PM
I thought the sound was off at first, but I saw that pretty much everything drowned out was repeated at some point. Made me pay more attention tbh. The actual music was better integrated into the film overall compared to other Nolan movies.

A agree the pacing was weird in the first act, and if they skimped on the budget anywhere it seemed to be there.

There were some plot contrivances that could be annoying if you wanted to be a dick about it, but it's not a movie to go that deep into imo. It's somewhere between 2001 and 2010 on that type of scale.

Cry Havoc
12-25-2014, 02:22 AM
I loved the beginning, even though it's a bit slow. It completely catches you off-guard. Doesn't feel at all like a sci-fi movie, but it uses the overwhelming sense of isolation to craft the universe and the plight of humanity.

boutons_deux
12-29-2014, 06:10 AM
How movies embraced Hinduism (without you even noticing)

Interstellar’s box office total is $622,932,412 and counting.

It is the eighth highest-grossing film of the year and has spawned an endless raft of thinkpieces testing the validity of its science and applauding the innovation of its philosophy.

But it is not so new.

The idea that propels the plot – there is a universal super-consciousness that transcends time and space, and in which all human life is connected – has been around for about 3,000 years.

It is Vedic.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/25/movies-embraced-hinduism

cantthinkofanything
12-30-2014, 12:34 AM
thought it was pretty good but seemed like he added an ending after what should have been the real ending 7.5/10. Vastly inferior to Gravity.

Pauly D
12-30-2014, 12:42 AM
How movies embraced Hinduism (without you even noticing)

Interstellar’s box office total is $622,932,412 and counting.

It is the eighth highest-grossing film of the year and has spawned an endless raft of thinkpieces testing the validity of its science and applauding the innovation of its philosophy.

But it is not so new.

The idea that propels the plot – there is a universal super-consciousness that transcends time and space, and in which all human life is connected – has been around for about 3,000 years.

It is Vedic.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/25/movies-embraced-hinduism

ok thank you goodbye :wakeup

Fabbs
01-08-2015, 11:33 PM

First Timeline:

Second Timeline:

Thank you. I will have to read it about 6 more times but seriously, thank you.

Q. When old geeze professor tells Cooper and company that mankind has a chance, was he flat out lying?
Or did he think the mission had a chance, even if it was a one in a bazillion chance?
If lying, was his motive good in that he was thinking, give the poor souls the idea that they have a chance?
Or was he an evil asshole. Were he and Matt Damons character in kahoots with their scamming?

Same q with Damon. What was his motive? Was he trying to wisk away with his old flame Hathaway and burn everyone else?

Jacob1983
01-09-2015, 02:35 AM
Matt Damon's character brought the movie down big time. I said this before and I will say it again. He simply did not belong in this movie. He wasn't believable as a deranged astronaut bad guy. He came off as a pussy and douchebag.

The movie probably will win a couple of Oscars for the technical stuff and score but I doubt it will get nominated for Best Picture.

Pauly D
01-09-2015, 02:49 AM
Fuck I agree. I really think that character would've been great with a talented unknown or at least a character actor. Also, tone down the big reveal that just jump started the distraction of seeing a superstar.

Jacob1983
01-09-2015, 04:06 AM
Cillian Murphy would have been a far better choice in my opinion. He's also familiar with Nolan's way of directing and story telling. Matt Damon just seemed very out of place.

Fabbs
01-09-2015, 04:31 AM
^^ Damon reminded me of
http://rack.2.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE0LzEyLzMxLzk1L3NubGdhbGxlcnlzLmRlNWY3LmpwZw pwCXRodW1iCTg1MHg4NTA-CmUJanBn/439d7ea6/b15/snl-gallery-stuartsmalley.jpg

Pauly D
06-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Just watched it for the 2nd time ever. Got a little drunk like a quarter of the way thru and not gonna lie, I was tearing up like a bitch. Gut shot right to the feels. I don't know why I'm bumping this thread. Already spam texted friends with this same shit

AlexJones
06-21-2015, 02:59 AM
Just watched it on Blu Ray as well. Better than Inception IMHO.. 4th best Nolan film behind Memento, Prestige and Dark Knight.

Pauly D
06-21-2015, 03:29 AM
Dark Knight Rises < Inception << Memento << Batman Begins < Interstellar << Prestige < Dark Knight

The Prestige and Dark Knight are damn near perfect and the Dark Knight is an icon (or at least it'll be looked at as one years to come). Dark Knight Rises is like two huge plot holes away from being in my 3 spot tbh. All the potential in the world

Strange Love
06-21-2015, 04:10 AM
This movie could have been much more than what it turned out to be.

Remove the daughter and this movie is something.

Pauly D
06-21-2015, 04:23 AM
Waterworks multiple times.

>leaving Murph with that incredible score playing, he looks under the blanket as a last hope and she's not there

>seeing his kids for the first time in the vids and they're over 20 yrs older

>has to leave Murph again cause she has her own life and family that he was never a part of

Ok I'm going to bed

This movie could have been much more than what it turned out to be.

Remove the daughter and this movie is something.

Are you fucking crazy? Literally half the story and the catalyst for all of McC's character's emotions? You wanna remove Michael from The Godfather too? Replace her with Matt Damon's character and you got a point

Strange Love
06-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Are you fucking crazy? Literally half the story and the catalyst for all of McC's character's emotions? You wanna remove Michael from The Godfather too? Replace her with Matt Damon's character and you got a point

That's exactly why.

This was fine as a stand alone space exploration without the daughter drama.

While you're at it, why even have the deadbeat brother in the first place? He was like a second citizen disregarded by his own father.

I thought the movie worked quite well with the space elements it had. I had problems with the story focusing so much on her.

I may give it another watch as I have only seem it just once so maybe I'll appreciate it more the second time.

DMC
06-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Too many technical faux pas.

StuartSmalley
06-21-2015, 09:10 AM
^^ Damon reminded me of
http://rack.2.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE0LzEyLzMxLzk1L3NubGdhbGxlcnlzLmRlNWY3LmpwZw pwCXRodW1iCTg1MHg4NTA-CmUJanBn/439d7ea6/b15/snl-gallery-stuartsmalley.jpg

:flipoff

Fabbs
06-21-2015, 10:21 AM
:flipoff
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/19/article-0-1AE5B2CF000005DC-640_306x309.jpg

Pauly D
06-21-2015, 12:13 PM
That's exactly why.

This was fine as a stand alone space exploration without the daughter drama.

While you're at it, why even have the deadbeat brother in the first place? He was like a second citizen disregarded by his own father.

I thought the movie worked quite well with the space elements it had. I had problems with the story focusing so much on her.

I may give it another watch as I have only seem it just once so maybe I'll appreciate it more the second time.

Completely agree on the brother. Without him their relationship would've made even more sense and none of the distraction while they're communicating at the end

Too many technical faux pas.

Like what?

DMC
06-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Completely agree on the brother. Without him their relationship would've made even more sense and none of the distraction while they're communicating at the end

Like what?
Oh just little insignificant stuff, like needing booster rockets to leave Earth but being able to come and go from another Earth like gravity planet with merely a shuttle, paradoxical loops, binary codes in the bedroom caused by himself read by himself which sent himself to find himself. Telling himself to stay, but then putting the binary code there in the 1st place which is what sent him away anyhow. The future human race which shouldn't even be there because Matt changed the past to alter the future, but then the future was him altering the past. That's pretty stupid.

Matt Damon not just getting off the planet. He called those people back, ok duh I lied. Why does he have to kill anyone get get off the planet? Then, Matt Damon not understanding how airlocks work, manually stopping that big ass station with tiny boosters, getting in position in the 1st place, surviving a black hole, etc... stupidity ad nauseum... alright alright alright..

Black dude waiting 23 years for them to return, acting like they just went to the store when they do.

Pauly D
06-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Oh just little insignificant stuff, like needing booster rockets to leave Earth but being able to come and go from another Earth like gravity planet with merely a shuttle

you're right, insignificant

paradoxical loops, binary codes in the bedroom caused by himself read by himself which sent himself to find himself. Telling himself to stay, but then putting the binary code there in the 1st place which is what sent him away anyhow. The future human race which shouldn't even be there because Matt changed the past to alter the future, but then the future was him altering the past. That's pretty stupid.

I would be on board if literally every movie that's ever had time travel didn't have these same dilemmas

Matt Damon not just getting off the planet. He called those people back, ok duh I lied.

I may actually be missing something here but how could he just leave and return to Earth with what he had?

Why does he have to kill anyone get get off the planet? Then, Matt Damon not understanding how airlocks work

he was hardly thinking clearly evident by his reluctant attitude while fighting and then his unwillingness to listen when trying to dock. I agree his character was an overall hindrance but to be fair he was no longer a brilliant, reasonable scientist that figures stuff out, he was a nut

manually stopping that big ass station with tiny boosters

in the vacuum of space is that not reasonable? Maybe it takes a bit longer than what they did?

getting in position in the 1st place

incredible job by an incredible pilot. Yeah, it was awesome

surviving a black hole

ok for fucks sake this is where everyone, even the cynics and critics, let science fiction be science fiction

Black dude waiting 23 years for them to return, acting like they just went to the store when they do.

so you know how people should react in that scenario? The only person you could compare his situation to in real life or fiction is Damon's character and he didn't even plan to wake back up

Fabbs
06-21-2015, 11:52 PM
While my initial reaction at the instant they boarded the ship was like yours, I agree with Pauly D.
For me in the sense that, perhaps that was black dudes coping mechanism combined with his way of keeping up slim hope.
A lot of, i would say 99% of peeps would have a major difficult time.
Black guy chose to work out problems and after a while was so into it he became the emotion of figuring more or less emotionless mathematical time and space type stuff.

DMC
06-22-2015, 12:27 AM
you're right, insignificant

Yes, if you're ignorant of physics.

I would be on board if literally every movie that's ever had time travel didn't have these same dilemmas

So Back to the Future and Interstellar are in the same genre.

I may actually be missing something here but how could he just leave and return to Earth with what he had? He could leave with what they had. They were already down one body, he could have easily joined them on the ship and planned his return from there. No need to try to do the entire thing himself right away. Ill conceived by such a smart person with so much planning time.

he was hardly thinking clearly evident by his reluctant attitude while fighting and then his unwillingness to listen when trying to dock. I agree his character was an overall hindrance but to be fair he was no longer a brilliant, reasonable scientist that figures stuff out, he was a nut

Yet he was smart enough to send a lying signal, knew how to pilot the shuttle he'd never seen but couldn't remember how air locks work.

in the vacuum of space is that not reasonable? Maybe it takes a bit longer than what they did?

Has nothing to do with vacuum. It's about Newtonian physics. Large mass with inertia being stopped by tiny mass with tiny thrusters (relatively). To get something that big moving, you need boosters that a shuttle can't provide. Ergo to stop it you'd need the same thing. Eventually it would equilibrate, but not as quickly as they did it. Like Iron Man and the turbo fan... he cannot fly as fast as that fan moves and certainly can't change directions and maintain thrust vector.

incredible job by an incredible pilot. Yeah, it was awesome

If you're 14 years old and never took a single physic class.

ok for fucks sake this is where everyone, even the cynics and critics, let science fiction be science fiction

Yeah, suspension of disbelief is easy when you have no background in science that says "*coughbullshitcough*"

so you know how people should react in that scenario? The only person you could compare his situation to in real life or fiction is Damon's character and he didn't even plan to wake back up

23 years, you don't think you're ever seeing them again, ever. No one knows how it would feel or how you would act, but it doesn't feel like 23 years when he's like "oh hey, you were gone 23 years".

Honestly, how fucking old are you?

DMC
06-22-2015, 12:34 AM
While my initial reaction at the instant they boarded the ship was like yours, I agree with Pauly D.
For me in the sense that, perhaps that was black dudes coping mechanism combined with his way of keeping up slim hope.
A lot of, i would say 99% of peeps would have a major difficult time.
Black guy chose to work out problems and after a while was so into it he became the emotion of figuring more or less emotionless mathematical time and space type stuff.

Right. White man on planet for a relatively short time, tries to off himself. Black guy in nowhere space for 23 years is doing long math.

Pauly D
06-22-2015, 02:48 AM
Holy shit, unless you're last name is Nolan this isn't worth it. I'm not gonna try to go back and forth with someone who has 30 posts/day. You win

~O~
06-22-2015, 01:40 PM
I thought this thread was full of pettiness but I didn't think it was going to have needless race bating. Christ. I pity the fool. lol

Interstellar was an excellent presentation of what humans are capable of through innovation and sheer motivation pushed upon by one another.

The Science is hard for others to understand. Let us remind everyone that a movie has to have a script and you will inevitably hear something you've heard before. The science is difficult for others to understand (Maybe because they didn't try to look it up). Most of all, spics who are so simpleminded, because "car go vrom vrom" is all they need to be entertained, completely outright trashed the movie.

I was anticipating this movie for a 3 months and avoided all trailers and media on it. The first time I saw it, I was blown away to the point where I sat through the credits and thought to myself "wow....what the actual fuck just happened". Didn't understand the movie the first time but on the whole, it actually made sense to me.

The movie was inspiring overall. The level of tier of thought in this movie is heavily dependent on how much perspective and education the viewer had. Having watched documentaries on space exploration, time, gravity, orbits, relativity, exoplanets, black wholes, dark matter, the earths creation, and etc. for 4 years prior to this movie, its all I could ask for.

This is precisely why I don't see Dr. Mann (Matt Damon) as the bad guy. Humans have yet to overcome simple shit and they would essentially have to destroy whats left of them being human for a mission like interstellar to happen, thus Dr. Brand.

Fabbs
06-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Could someone dumb it down for me.
What exactly did Dr. Mann Matt Damon do, and why did he do it?
They wake him up, he schemes to kill them all and ????
He was gonna run off in his shuttlecraft alone and ???

I know he had the hots for Big Toothed gal.
Was he hoping to run off with her and all the frozen sperm and eggs and start a new colony?

cantthinkofanything
06-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Could someone dumb it down for me.
What exactly did Dr. Mann Matt Damon do, and why did he do it?
They wake him up, he schemes to kill them all and ????
He was gonna run off in his shuttlecraft alone and ???

I know he had the hots for Big Toothed gal.
Was he hoping to run off with her and all the frozen sperm and eggs and start a new colony?

Matt Damon played the scientist that first fell into the wormhole when he was on a NASA ship. The wormhole took him to an ice planet where time had stopped or moved very slow so he didn't age much.
He has gone crazy due to the amount of time he has lived and just isn't rational.
He was trying to find the wormhole again in shuttle and go back to the time that he first left.

No, he didn't have the hots for the girl. That was the other dude that died on the ocean planet and then reappeared in the tesseract.

Fabbs
06-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Matt Damon played the scientist that first fell into the wormhole when he was on a NASA ship. The wormhole took him to an ice planet where time had stopped or moved very slow so he didn't age much.
He has gone crazy due to the amount of time he has lived and just isn't rational.
He was trying to find the wormhole again in shuttle and go back to the time that he first left.

No, he didn't have the hots for the girl. That was the other dude that died on the ocean planet and then reappeared in the tesseract.
When they were voting for which planet they should intelligently guess to go to since they only had enough gas to try one or two, i thought they discounted Big Tooth Ann Hathaways vote because she voted to go to Matt Damons planet and they called her out for having a clit on for him. Which she admitted to.

The Ocean planet guy that dieded, he was part of the ship crew that landed, right? Multilegged robot tried to save him but he moved like a snail. Or was some dude originally on the Ocean Planet and died years ago that who Ann was pining for?

cantthinkofanything
06-22-2015, 05:48 PM
When they were voting for which planet they should intelligently guess to go to since they only had enough gas to try one or two, i thought they discounted Big Tooth Ann Hathaways vote because she voted to go to Matt Damons planet and they called her out for having a clit on for him. Which she admitted to.

The Ocean planet guy that dieded, he was part of the ship crew that landed, right? Multilegged robot tried to save him but he moved like a snail. Or was some dude originally on the Ocean Planet and died years ago that who Ann was pining for?

No. There were 3 planets. One with Matt Damon. The ocean planet where Hataways boyfriend died and then the astronaut. And another planet with Hataways brother that she ended up on.

Fabbs
06-22-2015, 07:31 PM
No. There were 3 planets. One with Matt Damon. The ocean planet where Hataways boyfriend died and then the astronaut. And another planet with Hataways brother that she ended up on.
Hathatways boyfriend landed there years ago with an earlier expidition, right?

Hathaways dyke haircut, do you think she eats beaver or she is just playing along with some Hollywood power dyke who gets her roles?

Would you date Hathaway?
Who is more manly in 2015, Hathaway or Behind the Caberarina Damon?

cantthinkofanything
06-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Hathatways boyfriend landed there years ago with an earlier expidition, right?

Hathaways dyke haircut, do you think she eats beaver or she is just playing along with some Hollywood power dyke who gets her roles?

Would you date Hathaway?
Who is more manly in 2015, Hathaway or Behind the Caberarina Damon?

Hathaway's boyfriend never actually went on a mission per say so that part is unknown.
I don't think she messes with girls.
I would maybe date her if I was in between hotties. But not for very long.
I didn't see the gay movie so I don't know.

Fabbs
06-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Hathaway's boyfriend never actually went on a mission per say so that part is unknown.

How else would he have gotten to the planet?

Pauly D get in here please.

DMC
06-22-2015, 08:04 PM
I don't think she messes with girls.
I would maybe date her if I was in between hotties. But not for very long.
I didn't see the gay movie so I don't know.
Per say? Is that a ratio?

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Per say? Is that a ratio?

fuck

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 09:02 AM
How else would he have gotten to the planet?

Pauly D get in here please.

Sorry...I didn't mean that he didn't space travel but I meant that he ended up accidentally on the planet. Not as part of a mission like Hataway.

Fabbs
09-28-2016, 11:16 PM
Sorry...I didn't mean that he didn't space travel but I meant that he ended up accidentally on the planet. Not as part of a mission like Hataway.
Hello again CTOA,
watched it again tonight.

Still do not get why scientist played by Michael Caine apologized to McCongnahees daughter right before he died.
Earlier she had said (paraphrase) "WTF is with your research, you have been going around in circles for years".
He looked guilty and mumbled something about "don't wanna talk about it now".

Then on his deathbead he says a bunch of stuff to her. My subtitle is not working, rather couldn't press the right buttons on KODI. What did he say, what was he apologizing for?

InRareForm
09-28-2016, 11:20 PM
how many people got emotional watching this

Fabbs
09-28-2016, 11:55 PM
how many people got emotional watching this
I did.
I think it makes one think about their life, kids (if applicable), reason for existence et al.

Even if one does not like the film, and I don't love it, to me it makes one think/feel.

HI-FI
09-29-2016, 12:15 AM
yeah i enjoy the film but i like Nolan. it's his most emotional film imo.

Hello again CTOA,
watched it again tonight.

Still do not get why scientist played by Michael Caine apologized to McCongnahees daughter right before he died.
Earlier she had said (paraphrase) "WTF is with your research, you have been going around in circles for years".
He looked guilty and mumbled something about "don't wanna talk about it now".

Then on his deathbead he says a bunch of stuff to her. My subtitle is not working, rather couldn't press the right buttons on KODI. What did he say, what was he apologizing for?
:lol the legend ^

basically Caine lied about plan A, there never was a way to save the planet. Plan B was the only option (seeding other planets iirc). He lied to McConaughey that he could save the planet or else he wouldn't have done the mission. But then McConaughey buttfucked the blackhole (with help from future humans who are like angels at this point, on some other dimension) and gave the information back to his daughter so they can reunite and get people off of Earth. Plan B worked out since the humans evolved into something else and opened up black holes for their past selves. I believe that's how it all goes.