PDA

View Full Version : Lesson of the day: Involve Kawhi in the offense...

apalisoc_9
11-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Man the lasts 5 minutes of the game was the first time I've seen the spurs play spurs basketball since last year's finals..Ball Movement.

So muxh more refreshing than PnR and Dribble dribble..Something that really brings down Kawhi, Danny and Boris...In the last 5 minutes, they shined..I wonder why

Chomag
11-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Right now I think I would rather see KL play with the second unit. They at least try to get him involved and look for him. Especially Diaw he and KL look like they have a ton of chemistry with each other this year.

Mikeanaro
11-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Dont forget the Defense, they made the Pellicans sweat for their shots, it really seems like coasting after all the game playing like shit the last 6 minutes were another team, too bad Kawhi is seriously out of shape, miles away from the finals even his mid range suck ass this new season.

objective
11-08-2014, 11:47 PM
The rotations in the first quarter should be experimented with. I'd like to see Parker sub out at the 6 minute mark and let Kawhi play the whole first quarter. Get Parker and his overdribbling as far away from Kawhi as possible.

Malik Hairston
11-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Kawhi is still rusty and he admitted that his eye is still bothering him, so I'm not worried, at all..

However, if I had to choose a concern, it's that a large chunk of Kawhi's breakout playoff run was with Tony Parker sitting on the bench/out of the game, tbh..food for thought..

Clipper Nation
11-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Truth nukes being dropped left and right in this thread, tbh. God (aka Kawhi) should have free reign in your offense, and a certain someone shouldn't be allowed to ignore him and freeze him out.

TheGreatYacht
11-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Here's a clip of CP3 choking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfcyp6xLIMY

apalisoc_9
11-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Kawhi is still rusty and he admitted that his eye is still bothering him, so I'm not worried, at all..

However, if I had to choose a concern, it's that a large chunk of Kawhi's breakout playoff run was with Tony Parker sitting on the bench/out of the game, tbh..food for thought..

Been saying this way before Kawhi's breakout finals in 2013...

I don't necessarily think Parker has any sort of animosity towards Kawhi, but his mind is clearly set to either PnR with Duncan or post up...

Patty, Boris, Tiago, Belli, Danny, Timmy and even Manu to a lesser extent are great compliments to kawhi...

Boris is another guy that plays great when Parker is sitting...He performs with ball movement...

Obviously another issue is playing Tiago and Duncan together..

Stabula
11-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Kawhi is a Gutless Worm

rasuo214
11-09-2014, 12:02 AM

Did he? I figured his depth perception being off a bit could explain some of his early struggles on the offensive end. Also not worried, he'll get better as the season progresses.

Clipper Nation
11-09-2014, 12:05 AM

Bigger meltdown: Choke Paul in Game 5 against the Thunder, or you after Game 5 of the regular season?

sook
11-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Truth nukes being dropped left and right in this thread, tbh. God (aka Kawhi) should have free reign in your offense, and a certain someone shouldn't be allowed to ignore him and freeze him out.

When did you start jerking people left and right?

Back to the basics and what works breh. The clippers are gonna need a strong presence that doesn't beta when they goto the WCF.

Johnny RIngo
11-09-2014, 12:29 AM
I don't necessarily think Parker has any sort of animosity towards Kawhi, but his mind is clearly set to either PnR with Duncan or post up...

That's because Parker isn't a particularly gifted playmaker. Never really made his teammates better the way Manu has. Frequently stalled the offense for the Spurs back when TD was in his prime. Good scorer(in the reg season) but a piss poor point guard overall. I thought TP made great strides in 2012 and 2013 but it's been downhill ever since the 2013 Finals. Nothing but Enrique ever since that Heat series.

spurman123
11-09-2014, 02:08 AM
i think parker does bail us out when the offense stalls though

will_spurs
11-09-2014, 03:04 AM
Something that really brings down Kawhi, Danny and Boris...In the last 5 minutes, they shined..I wonder why

I don't remember Kawhi shining in the last 5 minutes... certainly not on the last possession.

hyhy
11-09-2014, 07:41 AM
i think parker does bail us out when the offense stalls though

80% of the time the offense stalls because of parker dribbling
the other 20% of the time, its because the other players were touching the ball for the first time due parker's dribbling in previous possessions

hyhy
11-09-2014, 07:43 AM

Thegreatfailure trying to troll CN with a player that CN hates. :lmao

EVAY
11-09-2014, 09:00 AM
That's because Parker isn't a particularly gifted playmaker. Never really made his teammates better the way Manu has. Frequently stalled the offense for the Spurs back when TD was in his prime. Good scorer(in the reg season) but a piss poor point guard overall. I thought TP made great strides in 2012 and 2013 but it's been downhill ever since the 2013 Finals. Nothing but Enrique ever since that Heat series.

When TD was in his prime, the only play the Spurs ran was '4 down', wherein the pg brought the ball up, gave it to Tim, and then led the rest of the team away from whichever side Tim was on, so that Tim would dribble the ball down in the low post until he either made the shot or got double teamed. If he got double teamed he gave the ball to one of the spot up shooters who had been standing on the three point line waiting to see if he might get the ball. That was when the offense really stalled, and that was when the Spurs got a reputation for being really boring. We won a lot because Tim was just that good.

After Tim's knees could hardly take the punishment of the one-on-one play in the low post any more, the Pop went to the pnr with Tony and Tim. It is now Tony's job to try to penetrate the lane. If that dribble penetration doesn't work, then he has to pull the play out and start again. So it often looks as though he is just dribbling around, but what he is trying to do is find a lane so that he can draw the defense in and then, depending on what they do, he takes a shot or passes it back to Tim on a pnr or to one of the wings for a shot.

The only time the offense really looks fun is with that loop play, where Tony gives the ball to Tim and the rest of the team, (including Tony) runs in a big circle setting picks for each other so that one of the them eventually has a clear shot, wherein Tim delivers the ball to them, or takes the shot himself if no one else can get open.

mkurts
11-09-2014, 10:36 AM
That doesn't work anymore, the team now plays better with better ball movement minus Parker plus Diaw

cd021
11-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Disagree. Free reign on offense probably isn't a great idea for someone who cannot consistently drive in the paint.

Some of that is due to Duncan and Splitter sharing the floor but that's the Spurs best defensive paring.

He probably is going to have to play a lot more with the 2nd unit or have Diaw start permanently to increase the floor spacing for Leonard and the rest of the offense.

Its not like he can't be very productive in a slightly bigger role than last season. His per minute production last season was around 16 and 8 last season. If he logs around 32 mpg this season he could be close to those numbers.

If he increases his FTA to 4 per game and his 3pt attempts go up to around 3.5 he would increase his scoring average by at least 2.5 ppg.

That would put him around 15 per game. Thats assuming he shoots at least 80% and 37% (his career averages) which he could exceed this season.

wildchild
11-10-2014, 01:27 AM

wildchild
11-10-2014, 01:29 AM
We still can't say if Kawhi has developed his driving (because of rusty, lack of rhythm, early season-games) but the playmaker skills is an underrated part of his game, he's passing the ball really well this season.

Anyway, if Pop can let him to run the pick and roll at least a few times per game, it can be the best way to involve him offensively, and no exacerbate his shooting-problem-for-battling-vision-issue.

Malik Hairston
11-11-2014, 01:03 AM
2Na363glDoY

Looks like Pop has finally installed a Kawhi-based system..it's going to be ugly at times, and Enrique will probably try to sabotage it with his antiquated ISO basketball style, but he looked great in every facet tonight, tbh..

KL2
11-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Teams are doubling him in the post, they know they it's a mismatch, our coach and team needs to recognize that as well. Having a stretch 4 out there really opens up the lane for him, too bad Bonner is playing like shit.

Malik Hairston
11-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Teams are doubling him in the post, they know they it's a mismatch, our coach and team needs to recognize that as well. Having a stretch 4 out there really opens up the lane for him, too bad Bonner is playing like shit.

Kawhi and Diaw are usually great together, tbh..

The potential concern is his chemistry with Parker, obviously, and that Leonard doesn't play well with the Splitter/Duncan frontcourt(they kill spacing)..

Did you notice when Duncan caught a rebound in the 4th and dribbled the ball up court, he immediately pointed to Kawhi to get in the post and sent him an entry pass vs. Crawford? That was nice to see..

KL2
11-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Yeah, saw the replay at the end again as well, Spurs ball movement is so much better out there when he posts, allows them to break down the defense, that's when we see true Spurs ball like that KY-Diaw-TD pass. I think HOU/NO was doubling him at times as well, I'm not sure though, definitely seemed like they were crowding him when he got the ball.

Cry Havoc
11-11-2014, 01:55 AM
Kawhi and Diaw are usually great together, tbh..

The potential concern is his chemistry with Parker, obviously, and that Leonard doesn't play well with the Splitter/Duncan frontcourt(they kill spacing)..

Did you notice when Duncan caught a rebound in the 4th and dribbled the ball up court, he immediately pointed to Kawhi to get in the post and sent him an entry pass vs. Crawford? That was nice to see..

Splitter needs to fit in with the 2nd unit in that case, so we can have Duncan/Diaw/Leonard in the frontcourt.

ChumpDumper
11-11-2014, 01:59 AM
November analysis.