PDA

View Full Version : Popovich: Reflections on a Championship Journey

Kori Ellis
08-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Reflections on a Championship Journey

By Gregg Popovich

Re-live San Antonio's third NBA Championship in seven years with – "One Team. One Goal. Mission Accomplished." – the official NBA Finals 2005 retrospective. Written by John Hareas of NBA Entertainment, "One Team. One Goal. Mission Accomplished." features more than 200 full-color photos, in-depth player profiles, game summaries and exclusive features. The following is the book's foreword, written by Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, recounting his team's championship journey:

ONE TEAM. ONE GOAL. ONE BOOK.

Book available here (http://store.nba.com/gp/product/B000AP6RJI/qid=1124990354/ref=sr_1_0/102-4388575-2932130?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=14186441&restrictSubjectbin=14186441&league=core).

http://www.nba.com/media/popduncan_050825_250.jpg

“Wow. Gracias.”

These were the words Manu Ginobili used to start his speech after being introduced during the Spurs championship celebration at the Alamodome.

I think he picked the two perfect words to capture the moment.

There are a few of us who have been fortunate enough to experience all three NBA championships. One thing is for sure, the parade on the San Antonio River and the celebration in the Dome will never get old.

After two hours on the river, we made our way to the Alamodome. Tired, you step off a trolley and walk onto the floor of the Dome. All of a sudden you feel a jolt of adrenaline surging through your body as you are greeted by 63,823 fans, each screaming at a level higher than they’ve ever screamed before.

As we approach the stage in the center of the Dome, it hits you. We are NBA champions. The journey is long, and most cannot endure the physical, mental, and emotional pitfalls. I congratulate this group of players for its persistent effort, resilient attitude and grace under fire (from opponents, media and me). You have truly accomplished what most will never realize, and I urge you to reflect on what was required.

The 2004-05 season lasted 105 games spanning 263 days. During the season, everyone associated with the team had tunnel vision. Each loss haunts us for weeks while a victory brings only moments of joy. Each of us gets so wrapped up in the season that we lose track of the wonderful moments along the way.

This playoff run was exceptionally satisfying, since each round offered opponents of extraordinary difficulty.

The Denver Nuggets were the hottest team in the league entering the playoffs, posting an NBA-best 25-4 record after the All-Star break. They proved to be extremely physical, and for us to win two games on the road made it a very satisfying and confidence-building series.

The Seattle SuperSonics were an unusually difficult team to play, since they displayed a physical inside game with a let-it-fly attitude in transition. As the series progressed, we figured out a way to win, but it was never easy.

The Phoenix Suns presented the classic matchup of offense versus defense, and with impressive credentials: the league’s most potent offense, the MVP, the Coach of the Year and the best record. Our Denver experience helped significantly as we started on the road and posted three wins in Phoenix, allowing us to win the series. Our offense really came together during the series and our confidence was at its highest point as we entered The Finals.

The Finals was one for the ages, and the games speak for themselves. Both teams were mentally and physically prepared and Games 5, 6 and 7 did not disappoint.

To have it all come down to a Game 7 in the NBA Finals is amazing and unforgettable.

Walking onto the court that night – June 23 – is a moment I’ll never forget. You – our fans – are the best. We’ve always said that, and it’s true, but that night the energy was at a level I’ve never experienced. When we were down nine points in the third quarter, there is no doubt that the boost we received from each of you gave the team that little extra we needed to get back into the game and finish off the reigning NBA champions.

Everyone played a part in this series to bring the championship back to San Antonio. So, to everyone involved – players, coaches, families, staff, ownership and fans – I think two simple words really sum it up.

Wow. Gracias

spurschick
08-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Simply awesome.

TheTruth
08-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Cool.

TwoHandJam
08-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Popovich seems to be an accomplished writer as well as a good coach. I wish I'd seen this book before I ordered SI's hardcover book.

TOP-CHERRY
08-27-2005, 06:52 PM
:tu

Summers
08-27-2005, 06:55 PM
grace under fire (from opponents, media and me)

I heart Pop. Cranky old bastard.

:lol (I kid, I kid!)

Solid D
08-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Very descriptive account.

I don't think Bob Hill could have written it any better. :hat

CubanMustGo
08-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Popovich seems to be an accomplished writer as well as a good coach. I wish I'd seen this book before I ordered SI's hardcover book.

Yeah. I too made the mistake of buying the SI POC this year and will never do it again. All they do is take the trade championship pub you can get on most any newsstand at $7.95, stick a hardcover on it and charge you 2.5 times as much.

"serial number 1025" indicates there weren't too many other people stupid enough to waste money on it, either.

hussker
08-27-2005, 09:34 PM
WOW...GRACIAS....
What?
I sat on the riverwalk for 4 hrs just to ensure I got a good spot for the parade. I marched my hot, dehydrated, sweaty @$$ to the Dome and was pleased to march up to the section marked "Supplemental Oxygen Only" that evening. It was definitely WOW, but no gracias! Especially when it took me two hrs to get out of the Dome Parking lot...
BUT...I Love My Spurs and it was all worth it!

GO BIG RED!!!!!

spurster
08-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Who is Pop's ghostwriter?

:)

FromWayDowntown
08-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Pop (or his ghost-writer; for my money, I think Pop wrote this) isn't afraid to express an opinion in writing for the world to read. I don't think there are too many other NBA coaches who would take that chance and subject themselves to the possibility of such criticism. He wrote a charged opinion piece (and fairly controversial one) after the Olympics about the work that team put in and how people should respect their effort, even if disappointed with the ultimate result.

It's among the many things about Pop that I deeply respect.

Instigator
08-27-2005, 11:17 PM
what can i say. simply the best.

angel_luv
08-27-2005, 11:29 PM
That was so beautiful I could cry! Pop's piece was awesome. He captured the season.

Our team is the best and so is Pop!

angel_luv
08-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Has any ordered the book? Is it nicely done? I wish I could see it before buying it.

TMTTRIO
08-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Has any ordered the book? Is it nicely done? I wish I could see it before buying it.
I bought mine on the first of August and still it hasn't arrived :( :wtf. Hopefully it'll be in my mailbox in the next few days.

angel_luv
08-27-2005, 11:56 PM
I hope you get it soon. Hey, when you do, will you do me the favor of posting what you think of it?

alamo50
08-28-2005, 04:04 AM
I bought mine on the first of August and still it hasn't arrived :( :wtf. Hopefully it'll be in my mailbox in the next few days.

It just came available for the Spurs employees this week so my guess is you should find it in your mailbox at the end of next month?

ZStomp
08-28-2005, 04:22 AM

Just buy it!!

ZStomp
08-28-2005, 04:26 AM

Why??

just get both books...

ZStomp
08-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Will this book be available at local bookstores?

Wasn't there another book also???

alamo50
08-28-2005, 04:41 AM
Screw the other books.
This is the one to get.

Horry For 3!
08-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Awesome! :)

ZStomp
08-28-2005, 05:18 AM
Yeah. I too made the mistake of buying the SI POC this year and will never do it again. All they do is take the trade championship pub you can get on most any newsstand at $7.95, stick a hardcover on it and charge you 2.5 times as much.

"serial number 1025" indicates there weren't too many other people stupid enough to waste money on it, either.

You didn't know that??

Horry For 3!
08-28-2005, 05:31 AM
I'll probably buy that book, even though I don't read books, I will read that. :smokin

Dex
08-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Just buy it!!

-Nike's new campaign slogan

angel_luv
08-28-2005, 04:33 PM
hahaha! Good one Dex!

You're hired! :lol

boutons
08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
"I don't read books"

don't worry, there's lots of pictures.

ZStomp
09-08-2005, 05:34 AM
I just bought this book for $18.88 at Wal-Mart. :elephant :fro

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AP6RJI.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm glad I didn't order via nba.com :)

ZStomp
09-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Man, this book is great.

Ya'll gotta get this one!

angel_luv
09-08-2005, 07:10 AM
I just bought this book for $18.88 at Wal-Mart. :elephant :fro

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AP6RJI.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm glad I didn't order via nba.com :)

Thanks for the tip! I know where I am going on my way home from work. = )

ZStomp
09-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the tip! I know where I am going on my way home from work. = )

I am not kidding.

I actually felt/thought you were going to be the first one to respond! :)

heheh

angel_luv
09-08-2005, 07:16 AM
I am not kidding.

I actually felt/thought you were going to be the first one to respond! :)

heheh

You are such a know it all! :lol

It 's like you have ESPN or something! ;)

ZStomp
09-08-2005, 07:19 AM
;)

MaNuMaNiAc
09-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Man, I wish I could get that book

SENIORSPURSFAN
09-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Try ebay. I paid $10 plus $4 shipping. Still some out there. Search NBA Finals Book 2005