PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Cuban: OKC should TANK and pull a David Robinson to draft a Tim Duncan

unforeseen
11-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban openly wondered Sunday whether it would be in the Oklahoma City Thunder's long-term best interests if superstars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook sat out the rest of the season.

Cuban said he would not consider it a breach of NBA integrity if the Thunder essentially bagged this season to improve their odds of winning a title in the near future.

"The question I don't think anybody has asked is, why don't they pull a David Robinson and try to get Tim Duncan?" said Cuban, speaking before the Mavericks hosted the Miami Heat.

Mark Cuban said he would not consider it a breach of NBA integrity if the Thunder bagged this season to improve their future odds of winning a title.
Cuban was referring to the 1996-97 San Antonio Spurs, a 20-win team that played a critical role in laying the foundation for the franchise's five NBA championships.

Robinson played only six games that season, missing the start of the season with a back injury and sitting out the remainder after breaking his foot in late December.

As a result, the Spurs' seven-year playoff streak was snapped, giving them a lottery ticket that turned into the No. 1 overall pick in Duncan. The Spurs won their first title two seasons later.

"We already specialize in a race to the bottom," Cuban said. "More participants won't change anything. They're all high-profile participants."

The Thunder, who have advanced to at least the Western Conference finals the last four seasons, have stumbled to a 1-5 start after Durant underwent preseason foot surgery and Westbrook suffered a broken bone in his right hand during the second game that also required surgery.

Durant and Westbrook are both expected to be sidelined at least another month. As competitive as the West is, the Thunder might not be able to overcome a poor start to make the playoffs.

Hence Cuban's curiosity about whether the Thunder's wisest move would be for Durant and Westbrook to sit out the rest of the season. In that case, Oklahoma City would likely land one of the premier players in the upcoming draft class, adding another potential franchise cornerstone.

"I'm not suggesting anything," Cuban said. "I'm just curious why the question hasn't been asked because I'm curious what the answer is."

The Mavs faced a similar situation in 2012-13, when Dirk Nowitzki underwent preseason knee surgery and Dallas had its 12-year postseason streak snapped. Dallas was 12-15 when Nowitzki made his season debut, fell 10 games under .500 within the next two weeks and had to fight to finish 41-41.

"I don't know, it would be a tough call," Cuban said when asked whether he'd want Durant and Westbrook to miss the rest of the season if he owned the Thunder. "When Dirk got hurt, we didn't. But it's a little different.

"Because I had a lot of one-year guys and we had to see who we wanted to keep. And I never thought he'd be out that long. Honestly. I thought he'd be back at the start of the season, and then one week, two weeks, it kept dragging on. We never would have gotten to No. 1 and he never would have sat out the whole year. So I'm glad we did it the way we did because I like the fact I've never had a losing season."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11849585/mark-cuban-oklahoma-city-thunder-mull-race-bottom

Malik Hairston
11-09-2014, 10:40 PM
They probably won't make the playoffs, so it's a good idea..it might be the only way to keep Durant in OKC..

hyhy
11-10-2014, 12:29 AM
"The Thunder, who have advanced to at least the Western Conference finals the last four seasons,"

espn -.- :bang

Mikeanaro
11-10-2014, 01:00 AM
So mean, so butthurted.

Killakobe81
11-10-2014, 01:01 AM
There is no Tim Duncan in this draft. I like okafor but he ain't that

Spurs 4 The Win
11-10-2014, 01:03 AM
lol Cuban, lol scared, lol espn, lol get your facts straight, lol hack journalism, lol no pride in reporting anymore, lol editor

InRareForm
11-10-2014, 01:03 AM
the rook might just randle himself the first game.

Clipper Nation
11-10-2014, 01:20 AM
There is no Tim Duncan in this draft. I like okafor but he ain't that

Killa already trying to :downspin: this shit now that the Lakers are looking primed to hand over their pick. :nope

scanry
11-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Killa already trying to :downspin: this shit now that the Lakers are looking primed to hand over their pick. :nope

He has a point. We've had very few no. 1 picks who've panned out as expected tbh. Very few have surpassed expectations (Magic, Shaq, Duncan & Lebron) in the last 30 years.

ElNono
11-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Makes sense Cubes is teaching how to destroy a contender, tbh...

scanry
11-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Makes sense Cubes is teaching how to destroy a contender, tbh...

Not really. After the Mavs rang, Cubes doesn't give a f!ck anymore tbh. I don't know if he became cheap, but he stopped spending after paying boat load of luxury tax in the 2000's.

http://data.shamsports.com/media/TAX2013Bfinal.jpg

Chillen
11-10-2014, 02:49 AM
Cuban knows this Mavericks team has potentially enough to make the NBA finals, so of course he'd like OKC to tank for a what if,= one less obstacle.

ElNono
11-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Not really. After the Mavs rang, Cubes doesn't give a f!ck anymore tbh. I don't know if he became cheap, but he stopped spending after paying boat load of luxury tax in the 2000's.

I'm just saying, in hindsight (and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before), letting Chandler go doesn't look like it was such a great idea, tbh...

scanry
11-10-2014, 02:50 AM
It's also ironic that the Spurs had their worst season in 2009-10 when they paid luxury tax.

Damn Sterling is cheap. Dude hasn't paid a cent of luxury tax in his life. :lol BTW OKC needs a new owner if they want to contend. They will not go over the tax threshold with Bennett and i think KD & RW will seriously look at that chart in 2016.

Arcadian
11-10-2014, 04:06 AM
But the question is, will there be a Tim Duncan in next year's draft? Probably not. That's how lucky the Spurs were - their superstar's injury perfectly coincided with the timing of another hall of famer entering the draft, and not just any hall of famer, but the kind you can easily predict will become a hall of famer. That's very rare.

Raven
11-10-2014, 04:45 AM
they already have a boatload of undeveloped talent, some good coaching would probably be better than tanking, although it can't hurt.

Franklin
11-10-2014, 09:38 AM
draft a Tim Duncan only to trade him away midseason for a one-year rental of Kevin Martin or something? Just imagine how stacked OKC would've been if they hadn't trade beard nigga away :depressed

illusioNtEk
11-10-2014, 09:42 AM
This mother fucker.... DROB and the Spurs did not tank.... David was injured for fucks sakes!!!

Why not talk shit about Cleveland as they tanked 3 fucking times

baseline bum
11-10-2014, 10:14 AM
He has a point. We've had very few no. 1 picks who've panned out as expected tbh. Very few have surpassed expectations (Magic, Shaq, Duncan & Lebron) in the last 30 years.

Davis looks like a first ball Hall of Famer, and he should be a strong contender for MVP this season.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2014, 10:21 AM
OKC+SUNS should merge, 2 tightarse owners

Jenks
11-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Why don't they pull a David Robinson and start the year with an injury and then suffer a separate season ending injury?

AlexJones
11-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Nothing wrong with tanking a season like that. Not sure why Spurfan gets so upset whenever people call em out for tanking in 97. I would've done the same thing.

lefty
11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
they already have a boatload of undeveloped talent, some good coaching would probably be better than tanking, although it can't hurt.
/thread

DPG21920
11-10-2014, 12:32 PM
/thread

They should Shark Tank.

-Lefty

Raven
11-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Nothing wrong with tanking a season like that. Not sure why Spurfan gets so upset whenever people call em out for tanking in 97. I would've done the same thing.

Neither do i, but san antonio did not have the worst record in the league that year.

Killakobe81
11-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Neither do i, but san antonio did not have the worst record in the league that year.

Wasn't it Boston? Still doesn't mean they didn't tank

lefty
11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
They should Shark Tank.

-Lefty

jsandiego
11-10-2014, 01:52 PM
I believe Chuck Person and Sean Elliott were also injured that season, right? We had more people out than just Big Dave.

Killakobe81
11-10-2014, 01:57 PM
I believe Chuck Person and Sean Elliott were also injured that season, right? We had more people out than just Big Dave.

I dont think most teams "tank" in the pure sense that actually lose games intentionally. I dont think spurs did that.

ambchang
11-10-2014, 02:14 PM
If the Spurs tanked, they wouldn't have played Sean Elliott and Robinson after they are back from injuries, only to be hurt again, nor would they have played their starters such heavy minutes.

DarrinS
11-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Ah, the mythical tank season. Yes, the Spurs tanked so that they could have a 21% chance of drafting Duncan. :rolleyes

Mikeanaro
11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Lol, Cubby wet dream is waking up to sunny morning looking to his right just to find Dork and then looking to his left to find Tim, must come out of the closet.

GuerillaBlack
11-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Can't forget the Rockets tanking for Hakeem, which brought on the lottery.

snickles
11-10-2014, 03:51 PM

it seems like everybody was hurt that year. i'm pretty sure i remember a starting lineup for will perdue, monty williams, and dominique.

that said, i do believe that some guys were sat when they could have played. is it in their best interest to rush a guy back from injury to play out some meaningless games? i would say no. but i would also say this could be seen as tanking.

jimbo
11-10-2014, 10:09 PM
If the Spurs tanked, they wouldn't have played Sean Elliott and Robinson after they are back from injuries, only to be hurt again, nor would they have played their starters such heavy minutes.

Pop took over and had to show San Antonio that he was better than Bob Hill. Then Robinson gets reinjured shortly after so he decides to tank tbh.

Re: Sean Elliott, isn't the narrative that he could have came back after the tendinitis surgery but didn't?

And cmon now, you're really trying to push playing the corpse of 'Nique, Avery Johnson and Vinny Del Negr:lol heavy minutes as seriously competing?

monosylab1k
11-10-2014, 10:24 PM
:lmao spurs fans trying to explain away an obvious tank job.

Just own up to it and be happy for it. I wish the Mavs would have done it instead of wasting Dirk's finals years trying to piece together a semi-decent team that won't go anywhere but will keep the sellout streak alive.

monosylab1k
11-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Ah, the mythical tank season. Yes, the Spurs tanked so that they could have a 21% chance of drafting Duncan. :rolleyes

They literally had no other choice, and Pop knew it. They all knew top to bottom that D-Rob was a soft pussy who would only take them so far before failing in the end. They had to throw all their chips on Duncan, otherwise they would all be unemployed soon enough.

ohmwrecker
11-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Mono going fishing.

Calispursfan11
11-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Lol. Food for thought, tbh.

ambchang
11-11-2014, 08:32 AM
They literally had no other choice, and Pop knew it. They all knew top to bottom that D-Rob was a soft pussy who would only take them so far before failing in the end. They had to throw all their chips on Duncan, otherwise they would all be unemployed soon enough.

Sort of like the reverse of what Cuban did to Dirk, where he dumped Chandler to expose what a soft euro he is.

monosylab1k
11-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Sort of like the reverse of what Cuban did to Dirk, where he dumped Chandler to expose what a soft euro he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5Af37Odc0

:cry such a soft move

Clipper Nation
11-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Saying the Spurs tanked in '97 is like saying that the Heat tanked a few years ago when they had so many injuries that they were reduced to begging the corpse of Penny Hardaway to come out of retirement. Tanking implies intent - neither team intended to have so many injuries. Sometimes you just get severely unlucky.

ambchang
11-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Chandler!

Brunodf
11-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Even a broken clock is right twice a day:wakeup