PDA

View Full Version : Knicks: Adam Silver trolls Phil

djohn2oo8
11-10-2014, 08:51 PM
NEW YORK -- Knicks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/ny/new-york-knicks) president Phil Jackson didn't appreciate NBA commissioner Adam Silver sharing his thoughts on the team's new triangle offense.
Silver jokingly said it "clearly" looked like the Knicks were "still learning" the triangle after their loss to the Pistons on Wednesday.

Jackson on Monday addressed the commissioner's comments.

"I wasn't so humored by the commissioner actually jumping in on top of that, too," he said. "He doesn't need to get in on that. There's enough focus on [the] triangle. It's not anything. It's a system. It's simple basketball. Just play the game. We're over the triangle; let's get to business and play the right way."

Jackson, unprompted, offered his thoughts on Silver during a session with reporters before the Knicks' home game against the Atlanta Hawks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/atl/atlanta-hawks).

Silver was asked about the Knicks' new offense Thursday prior to the Knicks' loss to the Brooklyn Nets (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/bkn/brooklyn-nets).

"I watched the Knicks' game last night," Silver said with a laugh. "Clearly, they're still learning the triangle. I still don't understand it. But they're learning it. But that's what the game is all about. You have a new coach; you have a new president of basketball operations in Phil Jackson; you have a couple new players on the team."

The Knicks (2-5) struggled on both ends of the floor through the first seven games of the season.
Coach Derek Fisher noted before Monday's game that some players appeared tentative while running the team's new triangle offense.

The Knicks entered play Monday ranked 20th in points per 100 possessions and 19th in field goal percentage.

"They're still quite a ways from their execution capability as a team. And this is going to happen," Jackson said. "It's all part of the process."

Malik Hairston
11-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Triangle looks great again tonight, 38 points at the half :lol..

DPG21920
11-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Triangle looks great again tonight, 38 points at the half :lol..

It's not the points that matter, but the path one takes to the lottery.

RD2191
11-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Phil being a whiny little bitch per usual.

Chris
11-10-2014, 09:03 PM
For a Zen Master he sure gets riled up easily.

AlexJones
11-10-2014, 09:09 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Pop really is the greatest coach of all time.. and it's not close. Nobody has adapted to different eras of the NBA as well as this nigga

Koolaid_Man
11-10-2014, 09:21 PM
LOL @ Phil Jackson and his triangle offense...he has 1 more win than us...

scanry
11-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Pop's motion offense trumps the triangle tbh.

And the triangle is arguably the most overrated system too. The Bad Boys Pistons trumped the triangle and only MJ's peak overcame them. I think the Suns could've beaten them with a better coach. And again Pat Riley's Knicks couldn't overcome MJ all those years.

Malik Hairston
11-10-2014, 10:12 PM
:lmao the triangle

Doesn't look so nice when Dad Killer, Shaq, Kobe, Pippen and Pau aren't out there running it, tbh..

Franklin
11-10-2014, 10:19 PM
triangle only works good with a dominant SG like Jordan or a prime Kobe imho, but SG is probably the weakest position for the Knicks. no surprise triangle doesn't work for them imho

scanry
11-10-2014, 10:24 PM
triangle only works good with a dominant SG like Jordan or a prime Kobe imho, but SG is probably the weakest position for the Knicks. no surprise triangle doesn't work for them imho

Dude Melo is a SG in a SF body tbh.

UZER
11-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Phil...such a hypocrite :lol

Dude has made a living interjecting his 2 cent daggers in people's sides.

DMC
11-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Carmelo ordered one with everything... got Phil

hyhy
11-10-2014, 11:45 PM
So many people who dun understand the triangle in the world. sigh.
You dun need a dominant SG for it to work.
At its base, triangle is a system that promotes spacing, off-ball movement, and anybody is an option regardless of who receives the ball.
It works with players who are willing to share the ball, and it works with players who likes to iso.
if you have a strong post player, you can always dump it to the post, it is one of the main options of the triangle.
If you have a strong point guard, you can always use the point guard option and play "out of the triangle", ie. the 2-man game at the side (this is what knicks have been doing 80% of the time, the guard option, then carmelo post up.)

the knicks have only learnt like 1/8 of the triangle offense, and thats why they are struggling to score.

hyhy
11-10-2014, 11:53 PM

And the triangle is arguably the most overrated system too. The Bad Boys Pistons trumped the triangle and only MJ's peak overcame them. I think the Suns could've beaten them with a better coach. And again Pat Riley's Knicks couldn't overcome MJ all those years.

Spurs motion offense requires much more work than the triangle offense.
Spurs motion offense is initiated by play calling, while triangle offense is played depending on the what the defense gives.
There is more flow to the triangle offense than the spurs motion offense. its just that the spurs are so used to the sets that they execute it much better.
I am always amazed how all the 5 players know what to run whenever pop just moves his fist around.. Its so much more harder to follow than the triangle offense, which variations depends on which passes the guard makes. There are no play calling in the triangle and thats what makes it flow so much better.
In fact, spurs motion offense has some triangle inside.

hater
11-11-2014, 12:55 AM
:lol crying like a bitch. Comish 1 Zenmaster 0

phoenix219
11-11-2014, 06:35 AM

They could have won if they had a Barkley that wasn't chumming it up with Jordan playing golf while going out at night partying and expecting to still bring his A game and killer instinct.

Koolaid_Man
11-11-2014, 08:00 AM
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Pop really is the greatest coach of all time.. and it's not close. Nobody has adapted to different eras of the NBA as well as this rat face nigga

FIFY

Koolaid_Man
11-11-2014, 08:02 AM

Let's not get carried away...Pop had players too...his system is reliant on those than can execute as well...as with any system....this is also why Kobe is far and above better than Tammy....Tammy's strictly a system player playing his entire career under the same coach with pretty much the same core of players...Kobe's had like 9 different coaches and his core players changed more than a baby's diaper tbh

Koolaid_Man
11-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Phil...such a hypocrite :lol

Dude has made a living interjecting his 2 cent daggers in people's sides.

He was spot on about 99 being an asterisk :lmao

Koolaid_Man
11-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Spurs motion offense requires much more work than the triangle offense.
Spurs motion offense is initiated by play calling, while triangle offense is played depending on the what the defense gives.
There is more flow to the triangle offense than the spurs motion offense. its just that the spurs are so used to the sets that they execute it much better.
I am always amazed how all the 5 players know what to run whenever pop just moves his fist around.. Its so much more harder to follow than the triangle offense, which variations depends on which passes the guard makes. There are no play calling in the triangle and thats what makes it flow so much better.
In fact, spurs motion offense has some triangle inside.

meth, mushrooms, crack, and dick...you had a helluva night I see

hyhy
11-11-2014, 08:33 AM
meth, mushrooms, crack, and dick...you had a helluva night I see

as expected when anyone tries to talk basketball. :bang

scanry
11-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Let's not get carried away...Pop had players too...his system is reliant on those than can execute as well...as with any system....this is also why Kobe is far and above better than Tammy....Tammy's strictly a system player playing his entire career under the same coach with pretty much the same core of players...Kobe's had like 9 different coaches and his core players changed more than a baby's diaper tbh

Kobe's as much a system player as Tim is Cedric. Kobe's record with those 9 coaches is probably 40% whereas Tim has won over 70% of his games.

ambchang
11-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Like what hyhy said, the triangle is actually a pass based offense, and if implemented correctly, can be highly effective in today's game.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/TriangleOffense.html

The problem is that the triangle is highly complex, and required a number of players who can pass well, and make the right decisions together on the court. There are many different options with each play, and then options after that. Players must be familiar with each other and have the level of rapport that comes with playing together for a long time.

The reason the triangle "worked" well with the Bulls and the 3 peat Lakers was because players like Jordan and Shaq could bail the team out when the offense breaks down.

The main weakness is that the triangle, due to all the complexity and movement, could eat up all of the 24 second shot clock before a decent shot comes around.

RsxPiimp
11-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Eh, any system would look horrible if your focal point is Melo and your supporting casts are JR Smith, Bargnani and Stoudemire.

Jackson protege Luke Walton and Steve Kerr are doing great with elements of triangle in their offense in Golden State.

Knicks will be fine once Amare and Bargs contract expires.

Koolaid_Man
11-11-2014, 08:49 AM
as expected when anyone tries to talk basketball. :bang

problem is you're not talking basketball...you're bullshitting

Koolaid_Man
11-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Kobe's as much a system player as Tim is Cedric. Kobe's record with those 9 coaches is probably 40% whereas Tim has won over 70% of his games.

:lmao Please post my picture again..I am legend....and this is easy work

scanry
11-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Eh, any system would look horrible if your focal point is Melo and your supporting casts are JR Smith, Bargnani and Stoudemire.

Jackson protege Luke Walton and Steve Kerr are doing great with elements of triangle in their offense in Golden State.

Knicks will be fine once Amare and Bargs contract expires.

Kerr's implementing Pop's motion offense tbh. Their spacing, passing and defense have improved. I always got the impression that Kerr appreciated Pop more than Phil tbh.

scanry
11-11-2014, 08:55 AM
:lmao Please post my picture again..I am legend....and this is easy work

Good for you. I'm glad you're enjoying the Lakers first win.

RsxPiimp
11-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Kerr's implementing Pop's motion offense tbh. Their spacing, passing and defense have improved. I always got the impression that Kerr appreciated Pop more than Phil tbh.

It's a bit of 3 actually. Jackson's triangle, Pops pace and space attack plus Gentry's up tempo scheme in Phoenix which he learned from Mike D. It's a brilliant offense altogether but you can definitely see the Triangle when the Warriors slows it down a bit and plays half court.

Keres offense is shaping up as the best in the league, but we'll see.

hyhy
11-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Like what hyhy said, the triangle is actually a pass based offense, and if implemented correctly, can be highly effective in today's game.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/TriangleOffense.html

The problem is that the triangle is highly complex, and required a number of players who can pass well, and make the right decisions together on the court. There are many different options with each play, and then options after that. Players must be familiar with each other and have the level of rapport that comes with playing together for a long time.

The reason the triangle "worked" well with the Bulls and the 3 peat Lakers was because players like Jordan and Shaq could bail the team out when the offense breaks down.

The main weakness is that the triangle, due to all the complexity and movement, could eat up all of the 24 second shot clock before a decent shot comes around.

I dun think its about bailing out. The triangle offense doesnt "break down". In fact, the triangle is essentially a "free-play" offense, with determined off-ball movement. The player with the ball can do whatever he wants. Its the players without the ball that has to move according to the system, with certain principles that are common to almost all other set-plays, including spacing, cutting after a pass, and off-ball screens.

The real problem why triangle has failed in the past, without tex winter, is because the coaches didnt preach the overall concept of the triangle offense. Players think that its like any other offense, and that when they have the ball, they have to pass to so-and-so, and because the triangle has so many options, players get confused and hesitate as to who to pass to, which led to your "eating up 24secs shot clock".
That is a misconception, largely in part to the coach not being able to teach the players what the system is actually about.
thats why i dun believe that that is a "weakness", but more of a unfamiliarity with the triangle.

hyhy
11-11-2014, 09:09 AM
problem is you're not talking basketball...you're bullshitting

ya, and how so? Just because you cant understand the offense that your team used to play, doesnt mean I am bullshitting.

hyhy
11-11-2014, 09:17 AM
It's a bit of 3 actually. Jackson's triangle, Pops pace and space attack plus Gentry's up tempo scheme in Phoenix which he learned from Mike D. It's a brilliant offense altogether but you can definitely see the Triangle when the Warriors slows it down a bit and plays half court.

Keres offense is shaping up as the best in the league, but we'll see.

Pop's motion offense has all 3 tbh.

ElNono
11-11-2014, 06:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B17pT_FIEAAmSus.jpg