PDA

View Full Version : cojo doubters

playblair
11-12-2014, 01:01 AM
cojo = true back up pg............ 0 turnovers..........ball movement..................cojo:toast

hater
11-12-2014, 01:02 AM
legit NBA player and easily could backup in many teams in the league IMO

ElNono
11-12-2014, 01:03 AM
he had a great game, gotta admit... but jury still out, IMO... if he can bring it consistently (not as good as tonight, but not as bad as other nights), it would be great for the Spurs...

Spur|n|Austin
11-12-2014, 01:04 AM
he had a great game, gotta admit... but jury still out, IMO... if he can bring it consistently (not as good as tonight, but not as bad as other nights), it would be great for the Spurs...

He's been consistent all preseason and through these first few games, tbh.

RD2191
11-12-2014, 01:04 AM
Needs to be more consistent. Tbh.

DarrinS
11-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Needs to be more consistent. Tbh.

^

tim_duncan_fan
11-12-2014, 01:06 AM
As with Kawhi, and EVERYONE really, as we head into the post-Duncan era, the jury is still out on Cojo.

He's had a pretty spiffy early season so far, though.

ElNono
11-12-2014, 01:07 AM
He's been consistent all preseason and through these first few games, tbh.

I don't think he has... making shots is nice, but he needs to run the offense, get the team into sets... tonight he did a good job of that... some other nights, he did not.

Legacy
11-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate... :p:

Malik Hairston
11-12-2014, 01:08 AM
I'll take my sample size of previous seasons over this tiny sample size, tbh:lol..

Joseph has always shown flashes, only to eventually revert to his soft, ultra-conservative, slow style of play..we've seen it too many times..

I'd have to see him string together a consistent few months of basketball to believe he can be a legit backup PG, rather than a fill-in 3rd string PG..

He's a good defender and he can make the mid-range J off the dribble, but he can't pass, his penetration is weak, he's kind of slow, way too hesitant, and he can't consistently make open 3-pointers..

ElNono
11-12-2014, 01:09 AM

Personally, I don't hate, I'm rooting for him. We could use an extra guard with Patty and Marco missing and the inevitable Gino injury.

Legacy
11-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Personally, I don't hate, I'm rooting for him. We could use an extra guard with Patty and Marco missing and the inevitable Gino injury.

I know you're not, Nono. That song just came to my head when I saw the thread. :lol

DapDaGenius
11-12-2014, 01:20 AM
This dude is still around? I thought deleted his account once Blair went to the Mavs?

Anyways, yeah, Cojo is legit. Still not sure why he has so many haters.

11-12-2014, 01:32 AM
I've always liked cojo, even in the midst of the Patty thrills hype. I don't see why he catches so much flack when he been solid for us these last few years. Last year he sputtered a bit because he barely got PT, but 12-13 he was nice.

anakha
11-12-2014, 01:43 AM
Solid play works for the regular season, but he'll need to show he can swing the the occasional game around in his time on the floor before he can make a case to get PT over Mills in the playoffs.

heyheymymy
11-12-2014, 01:59 AM
he showed tonight he is talented enough to get more consistent with increased mins to get the experience. i look forward to watching him and hope he really develops.

Malik Hairston
11-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Trade him while he has a little value, tbh, maybe the Spurs can get a late 2nd round pick..

Mikeanaro
11-12-2014, 02:11 AM
Cory is getting better I bet motivation is a factor given his extra minutes now that Patty is out.

KenziE
11-12-2014, 04:15 AM

shake it off shake it off wahaha

how u been legacy ? hope all is good on your end

Tuddy
11-12-2014, 05:22 AM
Am hoping to see him on the court at the same time as Mills with the second unit, similar to Jackson and Westbrook or Ellis and Harris for the Mavs. Would work better than with TP with spacing and would give us an ultra quick lineup.

minuzzo21
11-12-2014, 05:35 AM
Very solid game. He has developed a good mide-range shoot

superbigtime
11-12-2014, 07:47 AM
It's weird saying this, but Cojo has poise.

lofds
11-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm seriously impressed by Joseph's last 2 games. I hadn't seen this kinda potential with his play last season. He'd show flashes but the last 2 games he's made tough shots and been really solid.

Russo21
11-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Great set of backup PG's for the Spurs. Slow and steady CoJo, has poise and makes safe passes who can also play some nice D and occasional get to the basket with flare. Then we have an energetic Gun-slinging Aussie to pile on quick points if need be and pick the pace up. When Patty is back Pop can pick and choose which type of PG should enter the game for Tony which will depend on the state of the game. Great backup PG Duo.

DJR210
11-12-2014, 09:10 AM
IMO Cojo's major flaw has always been his reluctance to take his shots and create his own opportunities. He is doing both this year. His mid range is looking hugely improved, and he's been finishing around the rim a lot more this year. Not seeing any hesitation so far.

He had no choice but to improve with Patty's emergence. Things will get interesting when he returns. :tu

EVAY
11-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I, for one, have always been a Cojo doubter in the past. I am impressed at how much more comfortable he has looked in the last couple of games, and I am hopeful that he continues to improve. Last year I always hated seeing him come onto the court because he slowed down the offense and never looked like he was sure what he was doing. That happened only a couple of times last night, and he has looked a little more confident in each game this year. Maybe he will grow into the role. I hope so. I never compare him to Mills because theya re such totally different TYPES of players.

I kind of see Cojo as an Avery Johnson type of guard, but with a great deal more athleticism.

If he continues to play as well as he did last night I will be thrilled to see it. Hope it happens.

jsandiego
11-12-2014, 12:14 PM
He has great energy on defense, and last night took the opportunity to be aggressive on offense -- even backed his man down for a jumper once when the shot clock was running down.

Most of the time on offense, he looks excited and full of energy, but rarely actually does anything but dribble up, pass to a wing, and go to a corner. There doesn't seem to be any creativity or ability to see the play after the play, and just goes through the motions. A busy-body, but not much production. Hopefully that's just him not wanting to be in Pop's doghouse, but I also hope that the busy-body offense is replaced with more aggressive play.

Uriel
11-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Trade him while he has a little value, tbh, maybe the Spurs can get a late 2nd round pick..
CoJo is a better player than anyone the Spurs are likely to get in the late 2nd round.

FireMicoHalili
11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
standard contract year so far

Johnny RIngo
11-12-2014, 12:27 PM
He's been decent but I doubt it lasts. Hopefully he can keep it up until Patty comes back.

Fireball
11-12-2014, 12:29 PM
he seems to be getting more and more confident and his shots (most of them seem like bailouts) are starting to fall ... Cojo and Baynes definitely improved over the last games, they needed just as much time to adjust as the every other Spur

housious
11-12-2014, 01:35 PM
He's turning into a solid backup, but this team is much better with Patty healthy.

Horse
11-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Always liked him, jumper is really solid now. He's always played hard whenever he got the chance, no bitching about being sent down to Austin. And you can't put a price on what he did for this team in game 4 I think it was against okc when he almost brought us back after being down big.

hater
11-12-2014, 02:00 PM
His D on PGs and smallish SGs is impressive. And he treats superstars and scrubs all the same. he was bullying Elian gonzales as well as C3P0. Sure Patty tries the same, but Cojo is just a superior defender. He's probably got the best D out of all our midgets IMo

Mouth is Bleeding
11-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Patty is great and overall a clear positive but there will be times where atrocious defense from him will have people calling for Cojo, just like happened at times during reg season last year which most seem to have forgotten - not least thanks to Patty of course creating nothing but good memories during the playoffs erasing everything that's bad.

Malik Hairston
11-12-2014, 06:52 PM
CoJo is a better player than anyone the Spurs are likely to get in the late 2nd round.

It was a joke:lol..

11-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Patty is great and overall a clear positive but there will be times where atrocious defense from him will have people calling for Cojo, just like happened at times during reg season last year which most seem to have forgotten - not least thanks to Patty of course creating nothing but good memories during the playoffs erasing everything that's bad.
Yeah, and let us not forget Patty struggled mightily in the POs in the first and second round

Chris
11-12-2014, 07:11 PM
He has so far been rewarded this season for his play. 22 minutes against Houston, and 20 minutes last night against GSW. He stayed on the floor when Parker came in and just moved over to SG. Chip needs to work with him some more on his free throws imo

jimbo
11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Anyone see him fucking with Blake Griffin? He like tackled him at one point when we were on offense and then on the next play did like a mini cut block on him in transition

Ice009
11-12-2014, 08:30 PM

I wouldn't trade him for a second round pick at all. I doubt they'd be able to get a better PG than him with a second round pick. I suppose there is a a very slight chance that it can happen, but I doubt you'd be able to find a steal like an Isaiah Thomas with the 59th pick too often.

I still feel he can breakthrough and start playing to his potential on a more consistent basis.

The thing I've always like about Cory is his defensive potential. If he can keep bringing it on that end of the court and improve on the offensive end of the court, then that's very valuable IMO.

This league is filled with a lot of PGs these days that are a handful, so having someone that can play good defense at that position isn't something you should take for granted.

Yeah, and let us not forget Patty struggled mightily in the POs in the first and second round

I recall Patty struggling the most against OKC. Not sure if anyone else has the same opinion. I remember just screaming at him during some of those games to just shoot he ball with confidence like he had been doing all season. It seemed like he was a bit nervous or something. He could barely make a shot early in the OKC series.

11-12-2014, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't trade him for a second round pick at all. I doubt they'd be able to get a better PG than him with a second round pick. I suppose there is a a very slight chance that it can happen, but I doubt you'd be able to find a steal like an Isaiah Thomas with the 59th pick too often.

I still feel he can breakthrough and start playing to his potential on a more consistent basis.

The thing I've always like about Cory is his defensive potential. If he can keep bringing it on that end of the court and improve on the offensive end of the court, then that's very valuable IMO.

This league is filled with a lot of PGs these days that are a handful, so having someone that can play good defense at that position isn't something you should take for granted.

I recall Patty struggling the most against OKC. Not sure if anyone else has the same opinion. I remember just screaming at him during some of those games to just shoot he ball with confidence like he had been doing all season. It seemed like he was a bit nervous or something. He could barely make a shot early in the OKC series.
I couldn't really remember how he performed in that series so I didn't mention. He showed up in the finals, so that's what people remember, but he certainly didn't have a great playoffs as a whole. Meanwhile, Cojo imo changed the okc series with the dunk on Ibaka.

Malik Hairston
11-12-2014, 11:27 PM

Joseph's style of play doesn't fit well in the playoffs..he's way too conservative and hesitant, and he can't make 3s..

Defensive-minded PGs are arguably the most useless players in today's NBA..

Ice009
11-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Joseph's style of play doesn't fit well in the playoffs..he's way too conservative and hesitant, and he can't make 3s..

Defensive-minded PGs are arguably the most useless players in today's NBA..

I thought he was a key to the Spurs winning game 6 in OKC because of his defense in that second half on Westbrook. I thought that he made him work hard during the time that he defended him, possibly tiring him out a little bit.

I can't dispute what else you said, but I still think his defensive effort made a bit of a difference.

Holden_Caulfield
11-13-2014, 05:53 AM
his offense is coming along nicely this season

PingPong
11-13-2014, 07:22 AM
A good third PG in the Spurs, probably a good second PG in some teams. Expendable.

Legacy
11-14-2014, 09:34 PM
shake it off shake it off wahaha

how u been legacy ? hope all is good on your end

Hey, Kenz. Breaks from this site are always good. Gotta' steer clear of the cliff jumpers. :lol

jimbo
11-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Are we gonna act like Cojo wasn't the Spurs leading scorer tonight :lol

:downspin:that shit ElNono

:lmao

ElNono
11-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Are we gonna act like Cojo wasn't the Spurs leading scorer tonight :lol

:downspin:that shit ElNono

:lmao

Cojo is looking great, tbh... everything retracted... :worthy:

Malik Hairston
11-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Cojo is starting to look like a legit, lower-tier backup PG, tbh..needs to maintain his confidence, though, that was his main flaw coming into this season..

DrunkTXLabrat
11-15-2014, 01:04 AM
If the spurs had cashed in on neal, cory would have been winning people over sooner. Now it's time to cash in on cory. Lavine!

playblair
11-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Cojo is starting to look like a legit, lower-tier backup PG, tbh..needs to maintain his confidence, though, that was his main flaw coming into this season..

cojos confidence issues ended with the dunk on ibaka.....................

tim_duncan_fan
11-15-2014, 01:38 AM
Looks good, but it was just the Lakers. I need to see more.

Robz4000
11-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Always liked CoJo, and I think he has a place in the NBA. He can defend both guard positions, attack the rim while hitting the midrange J, and set up for his teammates. Obviously his 3-point shot is iffy and he has confidence issues but in the right system those problems can be overlooked. Not sure he had a future with the Spurs but I'd like to see him in the post-TD era.

At least he's a nice change of pace from heroball...

Brazil
11-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Fuck did not see dat one...

exstatic
11-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Cojo has improved every year. His PERs, by season: 6.9, 13.5, 14.7, 17.9. That's just lower than Patty last year, and MORE than just an adequate backup.

Raven
11-15-2014, 12:10 PM
he looks great out there..

superbigtime
11-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Cojo is looking good and like he belongs.

spursparker9
11-16-2014, 04:40 AM
@ Sacramento

15 mins, 0 pts , 1 reb, 2 asts

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:23 PM
this is the main concern... can he be consistent? some games he penetrates like crazy and finishes, some games he hesitates and defers too much... should be an interesting ongoing side-story to the season...