PDA

View Full Version : Are Mills/CoJo really "long term" solutions?

Henrik Sedin
11-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Both are young, what do you see happening with Parker retires? In your mind, do one of these guards start or will one be gone and the other be on the bench?

I always thought the Spurs were grooming CoJo to be the starter, but after next year it's iffy. I'm not sure that Mills can be a starter in the league (an effective one). Sure, he gets 30 points in a game, but with 2 assists, you are not properly being a PG.

SpursFan86
11-13-2014, 10:53 AM
I don't think either of them have the playmaking abilities to be true starting PGs. Parker just signed a 3 year deal, so there's no telling if Mills and CoJo will still even be playing for us once Parker retires...but if they do, I think Mills would have a 6th man role as backup SG and CoJo would be the backup PG. We'd have to go out and get a legitimate PG to start.

Brazil
11-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I think none of them could handle PG duties full time when Parker retire. Cojo is too limited and Patty is more of a SG perfect coming off the bench creating havoc offense by his pesty defense and fearless shooting... don't think it would fly 30 mpg over 80 games, he still has room to improve tho.

BillMc
11-13-2014, 11:54 AM
I think none of them could handle PG duties full time when Parker retire. Cojo is too limited and Patty is more of a SG perfect coming off the bench creating havoc offense by his pesty defense and fearless shooting... don't think it would fly 30 mpg over 80 games, he still has room to improve tho.

This. Patty works so well now because Manu is really the backup offense instigator and as you say, Patty is a small SG. The challenge will be when Manu retires if Patty can run the second team offense or if the Spurs have to get someone else. Maybe Kyle will grow into that roll as a point forward, we will see.

EVAY
11-13-2014, 12:27 PM
I don't think either of them have the playmaking abilities to be true starting PGs. Parker just signed a 3 year deal, so there's no telling if Mills and CoJo will still even be playing for us once Parker retires...but if they do, I think Mills would have a 6th man role as backup SG and CoJo would be the backup PG. We'd have to go out and get a legitimate PG to start.

This. Cojo is the more traditional pg backup, but I can hardly ever see him being the first string pg. Mills, as you clearly pointed out, is really a shooting guard who is assigned to bring the ball up the court when Manu is in to save the wear and tear on Manu. Manu is, and has been for a long time, our true back-up point guard. Mills works so well with Manu because he is high-energy, quick release on the three point shot, and works really hard on the loop plays when the pg is the one doing all the running. Mills is a pure shooter, though.

Cojo, on the other hand, is much slower and less certain when he is on the court (or so it appears to me - he has been improving, though) and until very recently looked uncomfortable in the role of running the offense. He is the better defender than Mills in the half-court set, but I just don't see him having the skill set to carry the first team offense on a long term basis.

100%duncan
11-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Neither has all-star potential. But patty is the best backup pg in the league, so there's that.

ElNono
11-13-2014, 12:30 PM
If they don't pan out, we can always trade for Iman Shumpert, tbh

FromWayDowntown
11-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't think the Spurs are worried about who's going to succeed the best point guard in franchise history at this point. Patty and Cory are role players whose skill sets are complimentary within the framework of this team and each made contributions to the 2014 Title (Mills moreso than Joseph, but Cory's Game 4 dunk in the WCF was a solid moment for him and the team).

When the post-Parker rebuild comes, I suspect the Spurs will be looking for more permanent solutions.

spurraider21
11-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Mills is a lot like Neal, except he can defend point guards to a reasonable extent. quicker off the dribble, too. but he's not starting caliber for a good team

DrunkTXLabrat
11-13-2014, 03:17 PM
One way or another, yes. Parker is high mileage old, but he's still a bit of a long-term solution. He just needs 2 kinda back ups. Cheap, legit, veteran Mills and rookie scale, athletic, apprentice Cojo.

Mills is freshly signed and there's very little doubt that he'll recover from his injury. So that role is long-term filled.

Cojo is different. That rookie contract is almost up. That apprenticeship is near complete. It's about time to pay him as a starting master or hybrid mills role player. Niether seems appealing, imo. I think the Spurs get Mills back and in game shape, then try to deal Cojo to Toronto or Wiggin/Bennett Minny. Lavine is perfect. But Vasquez would also be pretty nice.

DrunkTXLabrat
11-13-2014, 04:00 PM
One way or another, yes. Parker is high mileage old, but he's still a bit of a long-term solution. He just needs 2 kinda back ups. Cheap, legit, veteran Mills and rookie scale, athletic, apprentice Cojo.

Mills is freshly signed and there's very little doubt that he'll recover from his injury. So that role is long-term filled.

Cojo is different. That rookie contract is almost up. That apprenticeship is near complete. It's about time to pay him as a starting master or hybrid mills role player. Niether seems appealing, imo. I think the Spurs get Mills back and in game shape, then try to deal Cojo to Toronto or Wiggin/Bennett Minny. Lavine is perfect. But Vasquez would also be pretty nice.

Beaverfuzz
11-13-2014, 05:59 PM
full-time no, can they run a game or two if needed? Of course. Mills is still a SG anyway.

Cklbmk
11-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Cojo wont be resigned tbh

cd021
11-13-2014, 09:34 PM
I think the Spurs will re-sign Cojo. Having 2 competent guards to backup and play alongside Parker, as he ages, is only a plus. But I don't see either being starting caliber guards on playoff teams. Maybe Mills is closer but would need a legit play maker beside him.

They both do different things.

Mills is a pest on defense, not necessarily good, but annoying and can make momentum plays on that end. He is a excellent shooter, especially as a PG. He can create offense for himself off the dribble pulling up for 3's in transition and off screens. He isn't a great play-maker for others but he doesn't really have to be. With Ginobili on the floor and above average passing from Diaw and or Splitter (depending on the lineup he is playing with) he can focus on scoring.

Joseph isn't a great shooter but has shown an ability to get to the basket and can knock down mid-range jumpers (hitting 70% of his 2.4 shots per game from 10-23 feet this season) along with an occasional corner 3. He has the tools to be a very good defender, active hands and good athleticism. Last season he was 3rd on the team in assists per 36 minutes and 11th in turnovers. He isn't as good off ball as Mills though because of Mills shooting and cutting.

I am interested to see if Pop will experiment with Cojo playing SG alongside Mills, Ginobili, Diaw/Bonner (depending on the opponent) with Baynes or Splitter at backup center.

I think the Spurs can use both going forward.

DMC
11-14-2014, 02:04 AM
They are perfect fits for what they do now. CoJo's dunk over Ibaka was likely the turning point in the playoffs last year, even in a losing effort. Patty is just a beast, 30 shots a game sure, but he's fearless and pesky and never stops moving, even on the bench. You want those guys on your team, not on the other team.

DMC
11-14-2014, 02:06 AM
Cojo wont be resigned tbh

I have to agree, he's barely over D-league level now. It doesn't mean he won't get better down the road, but there's some team out there who overvalues Spurs players and will pay him a shiny new dime.

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I have to agree, he's barely over D-league level now. It doesn't mean he won't get better down the road, but there's some team out there who overvalues Spurs players and will pay him a shiny new dime.

Why not make the deadline deal, to get something for him?

KL2
11-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Mills' assist numbers don't reflect how he helps ball movement, I've seen so many times where he penetrates, the defense collapses, he passes out, Spurs break down the defense with even more passing, Spurs score, that's when we see everybody getting touches, that's championship ball, of course you won't see him racking up assists.

Spurs need a pass first PG, someone that can run the offense. They've had a poor history with them, Cojo, Neal, Mason Jr., Hill, Vaughn, etc. even Parker isn't that good of passer. It's obvious Ginobili/Diaw by far have the best court vision, and best passing ability on the team if you've ever watched them play point, unfortunately they aren't full time PG's. The majority of Parker's passes are basic kick outs, or off pick and rolls, which really, any talented player can do.

Anderson might be the guy, there are some really scary match ups you can run out there with him. 6'9, Spurs can have massive lineups out there that will wreak havoc on the defense. Spurs have multiple guys that can already run the point or take a huge load off, making the position less valuable.

Mr Bones
11-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't think the Spurs need a pass first PG. Their system of ball movement, along with changes in the NBA game generally, makes the traditional high assist PG unnecessary. Last year's final four playoff teams also showed that the traditional PG is not a requirement for a great team in this era: Parker, Westbrook, George Hill, and Mario Chalmers.

The winningest pass first point guard of the modern era was Magic Johnson, and he was a converted forward. John Stockton-- usually mentioned as the prototypical pass first PG-- didn't win a championship, and the winningest team ever, the '96 Bulls, started two shooting guards and a point-forward.

DarrinS
11-14-2014, 12:35 PM
It wasn't clear Tony was going to be a "long term" solution in his first couple of seasons.

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
It wasn't clear Tony was going to be a "long term" solution in his first couple of seasons.

Tony was Cojo to AntoniIo Daniels

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2014, 12:49 PM
And Antonio was Mills/Cojo hybrid to Avery

DMC
11-14-2014, 09:33 PM

He'd have to be paired with someone else to get anyone that matters. Right now his attitude and team chemistry is more important than some backup chucker Mo Williams type could ever be.

Cklbmk
11-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Like what? a protected 2nd?

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2014, 10:58 PM
I think the raptors would definitely value cojo as lowry injury insurance. And cory might actually like to play with wiggins and bennett. I think he's in a george hill situation, and we saw what hill was worth.

spurraider21
11-14-2014, 11:00 PM
just keep cojo then renounce him end of the season

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Cojo has been groomed for years. He's got playoff experience, even a very nice highlight. 2 time finals and 1 time champ. He's clearly worthy of a role that kinda pays and definitely plays. He's not Matt Bonner. The spurs have Mills and Parker, plus Beli and Manu. An extra twolves pick, and/or a fresh rookie contract athletic point like Anderson's former point aren't absurd, imo.

Mel_13
11-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Cojo has been groomed for years. He's got playoff experience, even a very nice highlight. 2 time finals and 1 time champ. He's clearly worthy of a role that kinda pays and definitely plays. He's not Matt Bonner. The spurs have Mills and Parker, plus Beli and Manu. An extra twolves pick, and/or a fresh rookie contract athletic point like Anderson's former point aren't absurd, imo.

Yes, a first round pick or Lavine for Joseph are completely absurd notions. I like Cory more than most here, but he's not bringing anywhere near that sort of return in a trade.

Spursfanfromafar
11-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Mills is here to stay. Joseph is promising. The thing with Joseph is that if he is going to do well, he will get a better contract somewhere rather than be Parker's backup's backup. And he is doing well this year. Solid PG play and good inside game.

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Yes, a first round pick or Lavine for Joseph are completely absurd notions. I like Cory more than most here, but he's not bringing anywhere near that sort of return in a trade.

I think joseph and lavine is a near even swap. But if the spurs had to sweeten, at all. Throw in a 15 or 16 2nd, done deal. Spurs don't have to worry about point guard for 3 years. Maybe more, depending on how lavines apprentice ship would go.

Mel_13
11-14-2014, 11:27 PM
I think joseph and lavine is a near even swap.

Not even close, and adding a late second round pick won't make it any closer.

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Lavine might not even turn out. Crazy athlete, but mostly generic mini-westbrook. Joseph is guaranteed defense. He's been sippin championship koolaid for as long as an under 25 player can possibly sip. He's got the Toronto connection with 2 of the wolves big names. Rubio doesn't have the kindest injury history, iirc. The twolves don't have to tank, if they added joseph.

Hell I'd throw in the 1st to lock down point for the foreseeable future. And reunite Anderson with a player who can boost boths development.

TheCerebral1
11-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Mills might be, but since the day CoJo has been on this roster, I've been asking and begging for an upgrade. He cannot shoot to save his life, and defense aside he's a scrub. Even a second round pick point guard would be an upgrade over him.

EVAY
11-15-2014, 11:10 AM
I have never ever been a fan of Cojo in the past, but he is clearly improving every game now. Still don't see him as a first string pg in the NBA, but could sure see him as a back-up permanently if he continues to improve as he has over the start of this season. He is now as good as George Hill was when he left, imo.

I could see a second unit with Cojo as the pg and Mills as the sg, but that is about it...Only second squad capabilities for either of them.

ohmwrecker
11-15-2014, 11:14 AM
CoJo is beasting. Credit to Becky Hammon.