PDA

View Full Version : When Stage Props Go Bad

Nbadan
08-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Iraqi activist taken up by Bush recants her views
By Andrew Buncombe
Published: 28 August 2005

http://billmon.org/archives/victory.jpg

She was the Iraqi activist who became a symbol of the possibility of a brighter future for Iraq.

Back in February, with blue ink on her finger symbolising the recent Iraqi election in which she had just voted, Safia Taleb al-Souhail was invited to sit with the first lady, Laura Bush, and listen to the President claim in his state of the union address that success was being achieved in Iraq. Her picture went round the world after she turned to hug Janet Norwood, a Texas woman whose son had been killed in Iraq.

But now it appears Ms Souhail, an anti-Saddam activist who became Iraq's ambassador to Egypt, may be having second thoughts about the "success" she celebrated with a two-fingered victory sign.

Having seen the negotiations for the country's constitution fall into disarray and the prospect of a secular constitution severely undermined, she expressed her concerns last week.

"When we came back from exile, we thought we were going to improve rights and the position of women. But look what has happened: we have lost all the gains we made over the past 30 years. It's a big disappointment. Human rights should not be linked to Islamic sharia law at all. They should be listed separately in the constitution."

Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article308604.ece)

Damn, I hate flip-floppers!

She'll be fine when she returns to Iraq as long as she brings her burka

Jelly
08-28-2005, 09:06 AM
She hasn't recanted her views, idiot. She is rightly engaged in a debate (with a good many others) over the role of Sharia law in the Iraq constitution. And she is on the same side as the U.S. in this debate.

Clandestino
08-28-2005, 10:01 AM
nbadan, why do you want the world in general to fail. actually, it is not just the u.s. the only thing you are ever excited about is negative, evil shit. you're like the devil.

boutons
08-28-2005, 10:37 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/comics/images/Toles/20050825.gif

Installation of Islamic "principles" in Iraqi constitution (a tendency that will accelerate, by agreement or by force), meaning mostly the oppression of women (as one of the main pillars of Islam is fundamentally the man's foot on the neck of woman in what is nothing more than the universal battle between the sexes) emphasizes how secular Saddam's Iraq was, ie, how far Saddam was removed and disconnected from the jihadi terrorists. But dickhead and most red-staters continue to say and believe Saddam was involved in 9/11, therefore, bogus reason #15, we have no choice to invade Iraq immediately (well, at least 6 months before the Nov 03 pres elections).

Spurminator
08-28-2005, 04:56 PM
This thread should be titled "When Partisans View Every Person as Pawns in Political Tug-of-War."

She has concerns over the Iraqi Constitution, as she should. Only the shallowest of the shallow would see this as some kind of "I Told You So" for the Democrats.

Nbadan
08-28-2005, 11:31 PM
She has concerns over the Iraqi Constitution, as she should. Only the shallowest of the shallow would see this as some kind of "I Told You So" for the Democrats.

This sounds kinda like the Cindy Sheehan situation. Humm, haven't seen you post anything supporting Cindy Sperm.

Spurminator
08-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Well, for one thing, no it doesn't...

For another thing, you clearly haven't been reading my posts on Cindy Sheehan.

She's grieving... I'm not going to judge the degrees of her reactions over the past year.

I am going to judge the perpetuators of the inevitable circus that is going to form around her over the next couple of weeks, though.

I happen to believe it is American dissent at its finest. Unfortunately, she is going to be sucked dry from partisans on both sides who will lionize and villify her simultaneously.

:lol

Don't even try to paint me as some kind of hypocrite. I'm not the one posting cartoons (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=457949&postcount=512) of the Mother of 5 servicemen pictured as a "WarMOMger" and a Puppet of the Administration, while harping on about "Absolute Moral Authority" when the person happens to agree with your side of the argument.

Nbadan
08-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Sometimes, it's not what's said, it's what's not said. Gee, Sperm, you must not have a girlfriend.

I never claimed to have any moral authority. Cindy Sheehan does.

Spurminator
08-29-2005, 12:09 AM
Sometimes, it's not what's said, it's what's not said.

In other words, you got nothin.

Why doesn't Mrs. Pruett have Absolute Moral Authority as well? Or at least the right not to be mocked by some hack cartoonist?

http://www.theillustrateddailyscribble.com/daily.scribble.jpgs.05/08.26.05.sheehan.pruett.jpg

Nbadan
08-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Has she lost one of her sons or her husband? No.

Tammy has four sons serving in Iraq right now with the Idaho National Guard — Eric, Evan, Greg, and Jeff. Last year, her husband Leon and another son Aaron returned from Iraq where they helped train Iraqi firefighters in Mosul.

Tammy says this — and I want you to hear this — “I know that if something happens to one of the boys, they would leave this world doing what they believe, what they think is right for our country. And I guess you couldn’t ask for a better way of life than giving it for something you believe in.”

Absolute moral authority, beatch!

:hat

Spurminator
08-29-2005, 12:29 AM
You're right, I concede to your point that one must have had a relative actually DIE in the war to have an opinion of any value and to be given some shred of respect by even those who disagree with her sentiments.

:rolleyes

Nbadan
08-29-2005, 12:30 AM
She hasn't recanted her views, idiot. She is rightly engaged in a debate (with a good many others) over the role of Sharia law in the Iraq constitution. And she is on the same side as the U.S. in this debate.

If she is truely on the same side as the US, then the US must be rejecting the proposed Iraqi constitution as I am posting this, or I must have missed that in the news. Humm...

Nbadan
08-29-2005, 12:44 AM
You're right, I concede to your point that one must have had a relative actually DIE in the war to have an opinion of any value and to be given some shred of respect by even those who disagree with her sentiments.

:rolleyes

It's not having an opinion of any value or not, as you put it, its having earned the right to say what's on her mind, especially when it concerns the circumstances that surrounded to her son's death.

Don't worry Sperm, when W goes back to the WH, the Press will find other stories to keep them busy besides Cindy Sheehan. If acknowledging that we commited torture in Iraq didn't even cause a hick-up in some of the American public's lust for further war, neither will a grieving mom.

On to 'the broader Middle East'!

:throwup

Jelly
08-29-2005, 12:47 AM
If she is truely on the same side as the US, then the US must be rejecting the proposed Iraqi constitution as I am posting this, or I must have missed that in the news. Humm...

Can you really be this thick? It is not for us to reject their constitution. Though we are almost certainly applying a lot of pressure behind the scenes. Obviously the U.S. government does not want to see sharia law in Iraq and will be lobbying strenuously to dissuade the Iraqi legislature from letting this happen.

If you watched a legitimate political talk show or read a paper (other than the stupid cartoon sections) than you would know this.

Nbadan
08-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Can you really be this thick? It is not for us to reject their constitution. Though we are almost certainly applying a lot of pressure behind the scenes. Obviously the U.S. government does not want to see sharia law in Iraq and will be lobbying strenuously to dissuade the Iraqi legislature from letting this happen.

If you watched a legitimate political talk show or read a paper (other than the stupid cartoon sections) than you would know this.

I could have sworn those were American arms twisting Iraqi shoulders to get the Constitution done, despite the Sunni not being on-board, and without having to extend the deadline yet again. We should have known something was fishy when it was the Sunni, many former Saddam Baathist, who argued against Constitutional federalism that would help catalyst the Shiite religious control over all of Iraq.

The US may not want Sharia law, but since we failed to study the geo-political consequences of invading Iraq before the war, Sharia law will be just what Iraq will have.

Useruser666
08-29-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Tammy has four sons serving in Iraq right now with the Idaho National Guard — Eric, Evan, Greg, and Jeff. Last year, her husband Leon and another son Aaron returned from Iraq where they helped train Iraqi firefighters in Mosul.

Tammy says this — and I want you to hear this — “I know that if something happens to one of the boys, they would leave this world doing what they believe, what they think is right for our country. And I guess you couldn’t ask for a better way of life than giving it for something you believe in.”

Read your own qoute.

Jelly
08-29-2005, 11:45 AM

Does Casey Sheehan's father have any moral authority? (or is that just for self-righteous mothers.) Because he doesn't appear to agree with "Mother Sheehan" as her followers are starting to call her. :rolleyes