PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Kobe on his and Duncan's contracts: It's a different market, man."

spurraider21
11-13-2014, 05:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-on-the-difference-between-tim-duncan-s-contract-and-his---it-s-a-different-market--man-205127573.html

Chris
11-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Whatever helps him sleep at night.

Splits
11-13-2014, 05:24 PM
From Amick's linked article:

"Part of me (is jealous), maybe a little bit, but the situation's different," Bryant said. "They've had consistency, had a core group, and we haven't. We've had our ups and downs, but we've turned it around pretty damned quickly and we've managed to compete and win championships, so you can't complain. There are different ways to skin a cat. They've done it that way with consistency, and we do it this way. It is what it is."

Who is "we"? He's run everybody off, players and coaches alike, and the owner is dead. Is he referring to Mitch and Fredo? Really curious who this imaginary group of people are.

:lol jealous of Duncan

Clipper Nation
11-13-2014, 05:26 PM
How many excuses is this faggot going to use for his overpaid contract? First it's a labor issue, now it's a market size issue? :lol

Chris
11-13-2014, 05:28 PM
The team should have competed better in the 2011 playoffs, it shouldn’t have ever hired Mike Brown, the genius-at-the-time moves to acquire Dwight Howard and Steve Nash didn’t pan out, they shouldn’t have hired Mike D’Antoni, Kobe destroyed his Achilles in 2013 and then his overcompensating other leg last season, they shouldn’t have hired Byron Scott, Carlos Boozer shouldn’t be trusted anywhere near a pick and roll defensively, and the Lakers are 1-7 and playing terrible basketball.

Article goes HAM :lol

Maybe in Kobe's mind, he deserves all that money for having to endure so many different head coaches and teammates.

Sigz
11-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Kobe is a bitch.

AussieFanKurt
11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
has to try so hard so hard now that Tim is being called the better player of the last 15 years

ambchang
11-13-2014, 07:21 PM
So when does Kobe start taking responsibility and puts some of the blame on himself?

In fact, can anyone find me a Kobe quote of him taking blame for anything? There maybe some out there, but I just can't recall.

Splits
11-13-2014, 07:35 PM
So when does Kobe start taking responsibility and puts some of the blame on himself?

In fact, can anyone find me a Kobe quote of him taking blame for anything? There maybe some out there, but I just can't recall.

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/images/feeders/feeder-crickets-for-sale.jpg

spurraider21
11-13-2014, 07:54 PM
^:lmao

Cry Havoc
11-13-2014, 08:06 PM
http://astrologyblog.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/cancer-zodiac-sign.jpg

Thebesteva
11-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Rumor has it Kobe said the same thing @0:32 mark to the Buss family after the contract was signed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17B9NGk1LHI

100%duncan
11-13-2014, 09:53 PM
I wont be sad when this faggot finally retires.

:cry last of the dying breed
:cry clutchest playa since mj
:cry mamba mentality!!!

Fabbs
11-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Kelly Dwyer the article writer. :rolleyes

Check out this fertilizer:

Tim Duncan’s contract extension (and the resulting small’ish extensions Ginobili and Parker took on afterward) had absolutely nothing to do with the core that could send the Spurs back to the Finals for the third straight year this June. It had nothing to do with the Spurs dealing for Kawhi Leonard, or finding Boris Diaw and Patty Mills on the waiver wire.
http://l.yimg.com/os/388/2013/05/31/KellyDwyer100-jpg_163527.jpg

Franklin
11-13-2014, 10:34 PM
the writer is right about one thing: the Lakers still had space to sign a big name FA even with 48.5m signed, yet no one came here because they knew Kobe's a chucker and they don't wanna play with him. So, it's not only Kobe's salary that's hampering this team, but also the very presence of himself.

testies
11-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Alfa as fuck. Kobe is the last of the mohicans, I'll miss his don't-give-a-fucks

besides, why the fuck should he take a paycut for those billionaire owners?

DPG21920
11-14-2014, 12:28 AM
:lmao Kobe going to that fans are stupid well one too many times. Doesn't he realize that all teams have the same salary cap to abide by? That him making 25M absolutely lessens the money LA has in proportion to the Cap compared to Tim's money :lol

100%duncan
11-14-2014, 12:51 AM
:lmao Kobe going to that fans are stupid well one too many times. Doesn't he realize that all teams have the same salary cap to abide by? That him making 25M absolutely lessens the money LA has in proportion to the Cap compared to Tim's money :lol

That's what's in my head while I read the article.

Damn this rapist is as dumb as derrick rose

poeticism707
11-14-2014, 01:37 AM
From Amick's linked article:

Who is "we"? He's run everybody off, players and coaches alike, and the owner is dead. Is he referring to Mitch and Fredo? Really curious who this imaginary group of people are.

:lol jealous of Duncan

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Thebesteva
11-14-2014, 02:23 AM
That's what's in my head while I read the article.

Damn this rapist is as dumb as derrick rose

Let's be fair now. As selfish, fucking ridiculous of a contract that was, calling it stupid is stupid in itself.

Kobe is business smart and more importantly has business smart people around him. It takes a lot of that to recover from the 2004 debacle. He's an idiot when it comes to shot selection, but very smart about career moves.

He took 1 look at this squad, realized they barely have a chance at the 1st round, looked at the contract the Lakers have with Time Warner which states they need high ratings to make money off of the channel and basically told the franchise he wants a huge contract to stay.

They had no other choice and abided to him. What was the better option? For him to take a huge pay cut and surround himself with whom? Kobe is done, he cant take a team with Dwight, Gasol, Artest past the 1st round of the playoffs. The Lakers had no coaching options, there wasnt anyone outside of Ariza that looked somewhat attractive. A dream team of
Kobe+Melo+Ariza+Gasol wouldn't even pass the 2nd round. Kobe knew what was best for his future. Defending himself on twitter proved he knew exactly what he was doing and trying to make his emotional faggot fan base defend him

He did a selfish fucking thing, but it was very smart for him...extremely smart. Reminds me of when Krusty the clown totally sold out

ElNono
11-14-2014, 03:42 AM
Let's be fair now. As selfish, fucking ridiculous of a contract that was, calling it stupid is stupid in itself.

Kobe is business smart and more importantly has business smart people around him. It takes a lot of that to recover from the 2004 debacle. He's an idiot when it comes to shot selection, but very smart about career moves.

He took 1 look at this squad, realized they barely have a chance at the 1st round, looked at the contract the Lakers have with Time Warner which states they need high ratings to make money off of the channel and basically told the franchise he wants a huge contract to stay.

They had no other choice and abided to him. What was the better option? For him to take a huge pay cut and surround himself with whom? Kobe is done, he cant take a team with Dwight, Gasol, Artest past the 1st round of the playoffs. The Lakers had no coaching options, there wasnt anyone outside of Ariza that looked somewhat attractive. A dream team of
Kobe+Melo+Ariza+Gasol wouldn't even pass the 2nd round. Kobe knew what was best for his future. Defending himself on twitter proved he knew exactly what he was doing and trying to make his emotional faggot fan base defend him

He did a selfish fucking thing, but it was very smart for him...extremely smart. Reminds me of when Krusty the clown totally sold out

Bullshit. It's like that because he won't let go of the wheel. It's not like he can't play or compete, but he's a #3 at best right now, but he won't let go of the #1. Nobody wants to play with a cancer like that.

Fredo is a fucking idiot, but he's also really in a bind. He can't do shit until the narcissist goes away.

If you could've kept dwight last season, maybe you'll be swapping Gasol for Love. Then you're onto something... add a few more pieces: Ariza... use the stretch provision on Nash to make a little more room, and take a flier on Isiah Thomas. Maybe try to pry Bledsoe when he was bitching over the summer. But it's impossible when this nigga keeps sabotaging the franchise. He talks shit about everybody but himself all year long.

spurraider21
11-14-2014, 03:45 AM
Bullshit. It's like that because he won't let go of the wheel. It's not like he can't play or compete, but he's a #3 at best right now, but he won't let go of the #1. Nobody wants to play with a cancer like that.

Fredo is a fucking idiot, but he's also really in a bind. He can't do shit until the narcissist goes away.

If you could've kept dwight last season, maybe you'll be swapping Gasol for Love. Then you're onto something... add a few more pieces: Ariza... use the stretch provision on Nash to make a little more room, and take a flier on Isiah Thomas. Maybe try to pry Bledsoe when he was bitching over the summer. But it's impossible when this nigga keeps sabotaging the franchise. He talks shit about everybody but himself all year long.
damn, i haven't seen nono go in raw like that for a minute now

Thebesteva
11-14-2014, 03:47 AM

He can't be a 3rd option. He doesn't know how to. How can you not know this by now? He was never a guy to really get others involved around him. If he could, he would, but he cant.

100%duncan

What's smart with all of this bullshit? It's plain and simple as DPG stated it and Kobrick is trying to spin this.

First no matter what the market is, all teams have the same salary cap to abide by. Meaning, it doesn't matter if you are in LA or San Antonio or Charlotte. The market doesn't matter. See? This is what's Kobe's trying to do to you, and to the NBA fan in general, thinking he can dodge criticisms with explanations that make him sound really dumb. Second, if Kobe's smart well then why did he choose to run-off 3 of the top tier bigs this generation? The dude is sickening, not just with what he's done but for what he's saying. He talked as if the Lakers being unstable wasn't any of his fault. Just a little blame wouldn't have hurt, right?

Uriel
So basically, this guy is saying that players on the Lakers should be paid more than players on the Spurs.

Okay.

100%duncan
11-14-2014, 03:48 AM
He almost makes the same money that the Big 3 are making this year. Fuck this rapist's reasoning.

Sean Cagney
11-14-2014, 03:50 AM
Alfa as fuck. Kobe is the last of the mohicans, I'll miss his don't-give-a-fucks

I knew all those dumb threads upstairs from you trolling meant you were a Kobe fan (LA fan but most are really Kobe fanatics).

Kobe don't give a fuck, all the way to 48 Million and taking most of his teams shots and losing horribly at the end of his career while Tim is still competing for titles.

This is about the stone cold truth, hope he enjoys losing for the rest of his career because that is where that dude belongs.

ElNono
11-14-2014, 03:52 AM
He can't be a 3rd option. He doesn't know how to. How can you not know this by now? He was never a guy to really get others involved around him. If he could, he would, but he cant.

The last time Kirby wanted to shit all over the franchise like this, Dr Buss prepared his bags and told him he was going to get his ass traded to the Pistons. Kirby relented.

Dude ain't dumb. He's testing the limits, and now you have a dumb motherfucker running the mothership.

You can try to convince me about anything on Kobe. But you can't convince me that if Dr Buss would've been around, this shit was happening. No fucking way.

Thebesteva
11-14-2014, 03:57 AM
The last time Kirby wanted to shit all over the franchise like this, Dr Buss prepared his bags and told him he was going to get his ass traded to the Pistons. Kirby relented.

Dude ain't dumb. He's testing the limits, and now you have a dumb motherfucker running the mothership.

You can try to convince me about anything on Kobe. But you can't convince me that if Dr Buss would've been around, this shit was happening. No fucking way.

I'm not. What I'm stating is 100% obvious and not an opinion.

Kobe realized he can't take this team to the finals, he knew he doesnt have it anymore. He sold out for the big bucks.

What was the better option? For him to take the minimum just so he could MAAAAAAAAAYBE get to the 2nd round of the playoffs? He sold out, and everyone knows it.

You seriously think Kobe would prefer to take $30 million less for a 'chance' to win? Cmon man, its a business

100%duncan
11-14-2014, 03:58 AM

Kobe realized he can't take this team to the finals, he knew he doesnt have it anymore. He sold out for the big bucks.

What was the better option? For him to take the minimum just so he could MAAAAAAAAAYBE get to the 2nd round of the playoffs? He sold out, and everyone knows it.

And that's why the people are mad at him. There's nothing to defend.

ElNono
11-14-2014, 04:08 AM

You seriously think Kobe would prefer to take $30 million less for a 'chance' to win? Cmon man, its a business

He doesn't have to take the minimum, but he also doesn't have to take a franchise-killing deal. Listen, the blame is two-fold. Jimmy is obviously a terrible deal maker (that contract he gave Nash was asinine too).

All I'm saying is Dr Buss wouldn't have let this happen, IMO. Nobody was ever above the franchise with him. Not Shaq, not Phil, not Kobe. I can't think it would've been any different now.

Thebesteva
11-14-2014, 04:13 AM
And that's why the people are mad at him. There's nothing to defend.

Did u forget who ur talking to? Im not exactly a Kobe defender here. I am mad at him as a fan, the city should be mad at him, the fans should be, the FO should be...but Kobe did the smart move for his life. That's all Im stating, I fucking hate that he did that, but it was smart for himself.

Thebesteva
11-14-2014, 04:14 AM
He doesn't have to take the minimum, but he also doesn't have to take a franchise-killing deal. Listen, the blame is two-fold. Jimmy is obviously a terrible deal maker (that contract he gave Nash was asinine too).

All I'm saying is Dr Buss wouldn't have let this happen, IMO. Nobody was ever above the franchise with him. Not Shaq, not Phil, not Kobe. I can't think it would've been any different now.

Obviously Dr. Buss wouldnt let any of this happen. That's not what u were originally stating, you were stating that it was a dumb move by Kobe to take that contract. I think its extremely selfish, but not dumb.

We agree overall that hes a dickhead and ruined his legacy tho

100%duncan
11-14-2014, 04:16 AM
Did u forget who ur talking to? Im not exactly a Kobe defender here. I am mad at him as a fan, the city should be mad at him, the fans should be, the FO should be...but Kobe did the smart move for his life. That's all Im stating, I fucking hate that he did that, but it was smart for himself.

No, it wasn't all on you. You can say that this is smart with that. But I can also say that it isn't with the reasons that I already mentioned.

ElNono
11-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Obviously Dr. Buss wouldnt let any of this happen. That's not what u were originally stating, you were stating that it was a dumb move by Kobe to take that contract. I think its extremely selfish, but not dumb.

We agree overall that hes a dickhead and ruined his legacy tho

I was actually pointing out that the notion of this lakeshow being "2nd round fodder anyways" if he took less, has everything to do with him running talent outta town, and refusing to hand over the keys.

We didn't get to the $48m contract in a vacuum. We got there after the guy took a solid shit on the franchise. Which really speaks way more about Jimmy than him, but still.

Thebesteva
11-14-2014, 04:55 AM
I was actually pointing out that the notion of this lakeshow being "2nd round fodder anyways" if he took less, has everything to do with him running talent outta town, and refusing to hand over the keys.

We didn't get to the $48m contract in a vacuum. We got there after the guy took a solid shit on the franchise. Which really speaks way more about Jimmy than him, but still.

Lakers situation this year pretty much:

http://www.damnlol.com/pics/832/efcc182abba02e4960a8e34c0731f3a1.gif

Biernutz
11-14-2014, 05:15 AM
What I'm picking up from Kobe is the Lakers can afford to go over the
salary cap and he is right. They can pay him and still pick up other players.
Kobe is such a polarizing player now that no Star wants to play with that
ego so going over the cap to bring in a top star player is not going to happen.
Unless kobe ask for a trade he will finish it his career with lotto teams.

100%duncan
11-14-2014, 05:23 AM
salary cap and he is right. They can pay him and sill pick up other players.

No one will want him. That contract is a cancer :lol

ambchang
11-14-2014, 07:08 AM
salary cap and he is right. They can pay him and sill pick up other players.

I don't believe the lakers can go over the cap with another star after signing the deal.

Someone verify?

Franklin
11-14-2014, 08:57 AM
The deal signed or not, no star wanted to play for the Lakers as long as Kobe was still playing there so it wasn't just the contract but the existence of Kobe himself that blocked Lakers access to a new star, which was the focal point of this article imho. I know it's a custom of Spurstalk that posters just open a thread and post even without reading the OP. They couldn't even re-sign their own players (DH and Pau) due to Kobe being on their squad, let alone luring stars there out of other teams tbh.

ambchang
11-14-2014, 09:09 AM
The deal signed or not, no star wanted to play for the Lakers as long as Kobe was still playing there so it wasn't just the contract but the existence of Kobe himself that blocked Lakers access to a new star, which was the focal point of this article imho. I know it's a custom of Spurstalk that posters just open a thread and post even without reading the OP. They couldn't even re-sign their own players (DH and Pau) due to Kobe being on their squad, let alone luring stars there out of other teams tbh.

I don't necessarily agree with that.

The contract is a huge message to the rest of the league that the Lakers will be Kobe's team for at least two more years. It's a sign that the Lakers will stand behind Kobe no matter how ridiculous his demands are. The Lakers will let the best big in the league go, the Lakers will let go of the best coaches, the Lakers will do anything possible to keep Kobe happy, and none of the stars want to be on the other end of that deal.

Franklin
11-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Actually you agreed with me and the author of the article that it wasn't just a question of salary. The 48.5m extension surely didn't help, it stoked Kobe's ego, but it was only part of rather than the whole reason why other stars refused to play for the Lakers. Kobe run DH out of town but that happened before 48.5m was signed imho. The whole world have already known that the Lakers are Kobe's team since he run Shaq out of town in 04 tbh, and they know the Lakers will aways be his team as long as he plays no matter how much he gets paid.

Raven
11-14-2014, 09:47 AM

if you'd say the opposite, he'd unfollow you.. you know, coz he doesn't care..

Splits
11-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Jerry the Chemist was still running shit when they traded 4 picks and gave $27m to Nash.

Lakers situation this year pretty much:

http://www.damnlol.com/pics/832/efcc182abba02e4960a8e34c0731f3a1.gif

How did Dwert fit in such a small car?

Brazil
11-14-2014, 12:12 PM

:lol

I'm happy Nono hate more kobe than parker tbh...

ElNono
11-14-2014, 12:14 PM
:lol

I'm happy Nono hate more kobe than parker tbh...

:lol not sure what you mean, I love Parker, tbh

Kobe simply made the bed, now just lies in it...

Brazil
11-14-2014, 12:17 PM

:lol... sure

UZER
11-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Kobe simply made the bed, now just lies in it...

He picked the bed, picked the sheets and covers, picked the pillows, picked the matress....but is blaming the clerk that rang him up at the store for not sleeping comfortably.

Mr Bones
11-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Kobe's going to keep rationalizing it, but his enormous salary is the biggest problem the Lakers have. Saying the markets are different in L.A. and San Antonio, he neglects to mention that that means he can also easily make more money outside of basketball than Duncan can. The average commercial endorsement is much more lucrative in L.A. than in S.A.... Any way he spins it, it's still a matter of him thinking of himself above the team and winning, and that's why he's going out a loser on a non-playoff team, breaking embarrassing records, and Timmy is going out challenging for championships. Add to that the difference in personalities-- Tim never had players the quality of Pau or Dwight leave him-- and Kobe is pretty much set to spend his final years with a more and more tarnished reputation while Duncan will be lauded forever for doing things the right way.

Mr Bones
11-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Add this to it: Kobe has more money than he'll ever need, and he decided that getting even more money was more important than winning. Plus, he doesn't have the grace to take a smaller role in order to win. David Robinson and Tim Duncan had no problem doing that. Kobe can't.

Clipper Nation
11-14-2014, 12:57 PM
The "I'm jealous of Duncan" excuse is hilarious too. Does anyone really think Kirby would be willing to play in a small market, actually be coached, and sacrifice money and touches to win? Timmy's situation would be a nightmare for Kirby and his ego, he proved that on draft day.

Mr Bones
11-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Kobe saying that the Lakers still had enough money to sign a star is disingenuous at best. They weren't winning with Howard and Gasol, and both of those guys chose to leave. The Lakers, at the very least, would need to sign four new players to their current squad to compete for a championship. And they definitely do not have the cap flexibility to do that.

Splits
11-14-2014, 04:04 PM
"I'm extremely jealous of that," Bryant said this week after his team's loss in New Orleans. "I don't know if I can express to you how jealous I am of the fact that Tim, Tony [Parker], Manu [Ginobili] and Pop [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich] have all been together for all those years. Like, I can't even ... I can't express to you how jealous I am of that. Not all this up-and-down stuff."

"I want a crack at him," Bryant said of Duncan. "I want to get another crack before it's all said and done. I would love to play the Spurs in the playoffs one more time, you know what I mean? As a competitor, you want to have the most [titles], but at the same time, it's well-deserved."

:lol thinking he'll ever sniff the playoffs again.

Biernutz
11-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Kobe is easy to blame for the mess that the Lakers are in and he is a major player in this mess.The Lakers have the
money to go into luxury tax if needed to rebuild the team as they are the richest team in the league. We can all beat
up on Kobe but he is not the only one that needs the blame. Jim Buss the Lakers basketball operations leader of the
Buss family has shown how not to run a NBA franchise. Clearing cap space to sign all the free agents that will
run to play with them.(How did that work out for Dallas) He has let players walk. Bad Trades. Signed players like Steve
Nash to a big contract when everyone knew he had a glass back. He traded for D. Howard when said his first choice
was Houston...He has run through coaches when Phill would have come back to the team but Jim didn't want to share
any ruining of the team with Phill....was this because Phill and his sister were a item? Pau who one SpursTalk poster
said was in the linked story (was not) decided to leave because the Lakers are a mess. Pau would have been paid but
why stay and rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic. He saw this was a total lost cause. He took less money to sign with
the Bulls. For all the Lakers haters in the world this is a wonderful time to pile on.

This Lakers decline would make good sports mini series on NETFLIX. The title of this series should be "The Day Jerry Buss Died"

jimbo
11-14-2014, 10:45 PM
I think Kobe knew that even if he took less money the Lakers still wouldn't have gotten a truly impactful free agent. They'd have overpaid some 3rd option like Parsons and it'd be the same situation as Dirk/Parsons money wise. Kobe can't handle that so he cashed out. It's not like they were winning shit anyways had they got some fringe star free agent.

:lol no one willing to take a pay cut to play with the Lakers