PDA

View Full Version : Hubie Brown

Horse
11-15-2014, 12:02 AM
How much laker dick will that senile fuck hubbie brown suck tonight?

Sec24Row7
11-15-2014, 12:07 AM
It's really out of character... He's usually pretty unbiased... Dunno what's changed?

DesignatedT
11-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Made the broadcast hard to watch tbh. Pretty bad

EVAY
11-15-2014, 12:19 AM
This was the worst announcing I have heard for a national telecast in years...not sure I can ever remember it being worse.

Officiating was bad, particularly in the first half...but the announcing was just tragic.

SupremeGuy
11-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Made the broadcast hard to watch tbh. Pretty badIt really did, tbh.

jhuan16
11-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Hubbie still salty about losing to Spurs ten years ago.

Leetonidas
11-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Glad I'm not the only one hearing this Laker knob slobbing

SupremeGuy
11-15-2014, 12:27 AM
He's still spinning shit for the lolakers...

Fuck man, what's his problem?

houston spurs fan
11-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Senile

Horse
11-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Anyone catch Kyle Anderson from Cal?

KaiRMD1
11-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Hubie has always been biased against the Spurs. But tonight, espn was on damage control because of the poll

Silver&Black
11-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Anyone catch Kyle Anderson from Cal?

Yeah I caught that.

However, I don't think that was Hubie though.

mando6599
11-15-2014, 12:41 AM
I streamed the LAL broadcast and the announcers were pretty good. Giving Timmy props for his milestone and generally respectful to the "Spurs Way".

Spur|n|Austin
11-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Glad everyone else saw lol

siraulo23
It's really out of character... He's usually pretty unbiased... Dunno what's changed?

This

and yes op, it was beyond bad

Malik Hairston
Hubie Brown has been terrible for a while, tbh, he's way too old to announce games..

As for tonight, I don't really blame him, it was probably ordered by the network IMO..the Lakers are one of the worst teams in the history of the NBA, Kobe looks terrible, they probably regret scheduling them on national TV so much, they need the announcers to put a positive spin on the most glamorous franchise in the NBA..

HI-FI
11-15-2014, 12:50 AM
it was truly terrible, he's done this shit before with Spurs vs La. It could be a network order like Malik Heat said.

DarrinS
11-15-2014, 12:54 AM
If that's who I was listening to on ESPN, it was pretty embarrassing.

Trill Clinton
11-15-2014, 12:56 AM
the possession where wesley johnson didn't see hill mismatched with cojo guarding him:

hubie: throw the ball to the post!!!http://i58.tinypic.com/2qnmupy.png

throw the damn ball you have a mismatch!!!http://i58.tinypic.com/2qnmupy.png

*wesley ignores the mismatch*

hubie: http://i62.tinypic.com/kaiwp1.png

FkLA
11-15-2014, 12:58 AM
How about that other faggot talking about 'recency bias' for the Duncan-Kobe poll? As if that chucker deserves to be put in the same tier as Duncan.

hyhy
11-15-2014, 03:20 AM
I watched the Lakers feed and for that layup that cojo got blocked, the replay showed the ball hit the glass first. The announcer "oh that was so close it went off the glass, almost a goaltend, what a great block!" The other announcer then told him "it went off the glass so it was a goal tend -.-"

Josh810
11-15-2014, 03:33 AM
He said "dinosaurs" when he was talking about the dynasties of the Lakers and Spurs, I kid you not. :lol

100%duncan
11-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Hubie hates us. He was worse during the warriors series to the point that a lot of posters here wished him his final long vacation :lol

SupremeGuy
11-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Hubie hates us. He was worse during the warriors series to the point that a lot of posters here wished him his final long vacation :lolThe warrriors series from 2 years ago? That shit was epic, tbh.

100%duncan
11-15-2014, 07:16 AM
The warrriors series from 2 years ago? That shit was epic, tbh.

Yah I remember wishing for a heart attack tbh :lol

BillMc
11-15-2014, 09:02 AM
It's sad, because Hubie used to be a really fair and knowledgeable commentator. Off his game the last few years...

Wildcat67
11-15-2014, 09:15 AM
He's always been horrible.

"And then...........And then.............And then"

bigfan
11-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Didn't hear what he said last night but I think the guy is the best in the business and don't think he is biased at all against the Spurs.

Fireball
11-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Didn't hear what he said last night but I think the guy is the best in the business and don't think he is biased at all against the Spurs. well, Normally I agree, but last night was really hard to listen to. I tend to think he usually "roots" for the young underdog team, but he went overboard with the Lakers ...

Spurs9
11-15-2014, 09:53 AM
"Now common now, Kobe is 1-14 and the lakers are down 22, but they just need a few buckets to turn this thing around."

EVAY
11-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Didn't hear what he said last night but I think the guy is the best in the business and don't think he is biased at all against the Spurs.

It is clear that you didn't hear what he said, then. Had you heard it, you would have been acknowledging that however good or bad he was in the past, last night was absolutely ridiculous!

TheCerebral1
11-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Hubbie with a chubbie for some Kobe beef. Sorry too good to resist mentioning. Didn't watch the broadcast, because I predicted a blow out. Closer than I thought.

ohmwrecker
11-15-2014, 10:12 AM
He just felt sorry for them.

baseline bum
11-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Damn, so it was even worse than the knob slobbing he gave the Pistons in the 05 Finals?

EVAY
11-15-2014, 10:37 AM
The one that left me sputtering the most was the one when Hubie said something to the effect of, "Well, you hate to see it, but you just have to acknowledge that they (the spurs) are going to do that - they are going to play smothering defense and it is going to be hard to score on them, especially when they get you down".

I thought, seriously?! Did you actually say on a national broadcast that you HATE to see it"??

manufan10
11-15-2014, 10:44 AM
I said this in the game thread:

Is Hubie auditioning for the Lakers gig once Scott is fired or what? :lol

:lol Hubie Brown doing damage control for Kobe. :cry when you've played 18 years and scored so many points you're bound to miss some shots :cry

WTF? Hubie just said he was holding his breath and hoping the Spurs would miss the shot. "Thank goodness they missed it."

Leetonidas
11-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Sad what happened to this senile fuck. I enjoyed his commenting in the 2005 Finals. Dude needs to move to Florida and start doing water aerobics tbh

100%duncan
11-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Sad what happened to this senile fuck. I enjoyed his commenting in the 2005 Finals. Dude needs to move to Florida and start doing water aerobics tbh

:lmao

scanry
11-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Damn, so it was even worse than the knob slobbing he gave the Pistons in the 05 Finals?

That was arguably the worst commentary in a long time. Him & Al were brutal tbh. The 2005 WCF play call was far better with Breen & Walton. Walton - now that's one dude i could listen to all day. The Kings are lucky to have tbh.

Walton/Lawler were pretty good too.

ohmwrecker
11-15-2014, 10:59 AM
You know it's bad when you long for Bill Land and Sean Elliott.

EVAY
11-15-2014, 11:07 AM
I said this in the game thread:

Yeah, I had forgotten the "I was holding my breath - thankfully they missed the shot". It was absurd!!!

ohmwrecker
11-15-2014, 11:08 AM
That was arguably the worst commentary in a long time. Him & Al were brutal tbh. The 2005 WCF play call was far better with Breen & Walton. Walton - now that's one dude i could listen to all day. The Kings are lucky to have tbh.

I hate Walton. The only time I ever enjoyed Walton was when he was teamed with Tom Tolbert and Tolbert just made fun of him the whole time. Also, I saw him in the bathroom at the Alamodome and he didn't wash his hands.

UZER
11-15-2014, 11:15 AM
I usually cool with Hubie, but he seemed to be overly going out of his way to defend Kobe by talking him up and sort of playing down Duncan's recent success like "meh".

Changed it to kens feed.

Dre_7
11-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Walton does the Kings color? I may have to watch the Kings broadcast on my league pass. Love Walton! :lol

Silver&Black
03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
BUMP

Sucking the Bulls dick all game long.

K...
03-08-2015, 02:18 PM
BUMP

Sucking the Bulls dick all game long.

He's a pro, gotta to give the casual fan a reason to think it's a fair game. Gotta save the spurs superlatives for May and June

Horse
03-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Even when he did make a positive comment for the Spurs it was immediately followed by bulls praise.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 02:59 PM
I think Hubie is hilarious. I don't get the hate. He's not any worse than anybody else. He's the Madden of the NBA.

bigfan
03-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Hubie is one of the best ever, period (and I've been a Spurs fan since we had the Whopper).

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 04:10 PM
I think Hubie is hilarious. I don't get the hate. He's not any worse than anybody else. He's the Madden of the NBA.

I agree which confuses me as to the fact you disliked Walton.
Listening to him was like watching basketball after eating some shrooms.
Yeah- he said things that were flat wrong, but he was so different from the corporate norm.

I enjoyed his offbeat tangents that nobody really does anymore during sporting events.
He was unique. I wish he was national still.
Now the hand washing thing- downright nasty, but you don't have to shake the man's hands to watch the game.

Edit: his hyperbole was usually damn entertaining also. Remember his quotes about Diaw when he played in Phoenix?
Great stuff!

Wildcat67
03-08-2015, 04:16 PM
I hate Hubie I think he is terrible at what he does. Doesn't have anything to do with bias or anything, I just think the guy can't talk well enough to have a career as a professional speaker.

All game long it's one comment "And then" another comment "And then".

Jeff Van Gundy is my favorite.

DMC
03-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Hubie is ok. Nothing he says means anything, he reminds me of Larry Merchant.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Hubie is ok. Nothing he says means anything, he reminds me of Larry Merchant.
Exactly who I think of... funny.
I moderately like the guy. He really comes off as a shill to me, but he is an entertaining color guy who you can tell is thinking of entertaining whatever larger fanbase is viewing the game he's covering at the time.

The big thing is he has tenure. People who love the NBA have grown up with him. He's obviously not an icon like Madden, but he's close when it comes to color analysts in a particular field.
So he won't get the flak from the general public like he may should.

Still- there's worse out there...

DMC
03-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Hubie is old. People tend to leave old people alone. Reggie is the worst in the history of the game. Chris Webber is a close second.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 04:45 PM
I agree which confuses me as to the fact you disliked Walton.
Listening to him was like watching basketball after eating some shrooms.
Yeah- he said things that were flat wrong, but he was so different from the corporate norm.

I enjoyed his offbeat tangents that nobody really does anymore during sporting events.
He was unique. I wish he was national still.
Now the hand washing thing- downright nasty, but you don't have to shake the man's hands to watch the game.

Edit: his hyperbole was usually damn entertaining also. Remember his quotes about Diaw when he played in Phoenix?
Great stuff!

There is just something about Walton's voice... how dorky he is... I can't really explain it.

Silver&Black
03-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Hubie is old. People tend to leave old people alone. Reggie is the worst in the history of the game. Chris Webber is a close second.

You're right...as bad as I hate Hubie....I can chalk it up to him being old as dirt.

Also agree on Webber and Reggie....but where's Mark Jackson? He's up there too....

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 04:52 PM
There is just something about Walton's voice... how dorky he is... I can't really explain it.
Right on. He does have a bit of a strange way of talking.
I guess I ignored that, for the most part and loved the words that were being said in the setting they were being said.
That guy would get full-on mystical in the middle of an important- stress-ridden game and I would always wonder who else would do shit like this on TV, nationally with millions watching?

Walton just did his thing, was himself and I thoroughly enjoyed that.
JVG is the only one who compares right now with his devil-may-care attitude and wonderful diatribes on whatever was bugging him at the moment on air.
Damn.
I want this guy back!

peacemaker885
03-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Unlike most I enjoy Mark Jackson. Hubie is OK. Hate Jon Barry, Chris Webber and Reggie Miller.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 05:02 PM
You're right...as bad as I hate Hubie....I can chalk it up to him being old as dirt.

Also agree on Webber and Reggie....but where's Mark Jackson? He's up there too....
Reggie and Mark are irredeemable.
The ONLY reason they have a presence on television is because they were good players in the past.
Otherwise not one person on this planet would want to listen to a single word they have to say on anything for any reason.

I was one of the few people who applauded the choice of that political comedian being inserted as part of the MNF crew those years ago.
Yeah- the idea bombed badly and on it's surface it would look like I'm the fool for supporting said decision, but it wasn't the guy I was applauding:
it was the fact that there was some thinking outside the box that you have to have former players do color for televised games.
They normally stink. Seriously, who can dispute that except for the few outliers?

I appreciated the fact that someone, on a big stage was willing to do something risky and I truly believe that this strange loyalty to former players being on TV (beyond their "words of experience" that fail to connect) is silly when you have a wealth of talented, entertaining people who would be far more enjoyable calling a game and can still be studious and erudite of what they're calling.

Shit. I drank that last scotch and seltzer as I started typing this and now have lost interest in the topic.
Ah well. I was getting to rambling anyways.

Carry on brother.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Right on. He does have a bit of a strange way of talking.
I guess I ignored that, for the most part and loved the words that were being said in the setting they were being said.
That guy would get full-on mystical in the middle of an important- stress-ridden game and I would always wonder who else would do shit like this on TV, nationally with millions watching?

Walton just did his thing, was himself and I thoroughly enjoyed that.
JVG is the only one who compares right now with his devil-may-care attitude and wonderful diatribes on whatever was bugging him at the moment on air.
Damn.
I want this guy back!

JVG is the best currently.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Yes sir.
I look forward to his games. Nobody else's really anymore.

I also miss reading that BillWalton guy that used to post here.
I no longer remember his exact user name, but it had Walton in the handle and in his avi in a tye-died shirt.

Good poster.

cd021
03-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Doug Collins was the best color commentator i can remember, its clear he knows his stuff. Jon Barry & Reggie Miller are terrible. Barry is so overly serious all the time. Reggie is corny and always gets fact or stats wrong on the air. Van Gundy has improved quite a bit. He knows what he's talking about and has enough personality to be entertaining.

Silver&Black
03-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Reggie and Mark are irredeemable.
The ONLY reason they have a presence on television is because they were good players in the past.
Otherwise not one person on this planet would want to listen to a single word they have to say on anything for any reason.

I was one of the few people who applauded the choice of that political comedian being inserted as part of the MNF crew those years ago.
Yeah- the idea bombed badly and on it's surface it would look like I'm the fool for supporting said decision, but it wasn't the guy I was applauding:
it was the fact that there was some thinking outside the box that you have to have former players do color for televised games.
They normally stink. Seriously, who can dispute that except for the few outliers?

I appreciated the fact that someone, on a big stage was willing to do something risky and I truly believe that this strange loyalty to former players being on TV (beyond their "words of experience" that fail to connect) is silly when you have a wealth of talented, entertaining people who would be far more enjoyable calling a game and can still be studious and erudite of what they're calling.

Shit. I drank that last scotch and seltzer as I started typing this and now have lost interest in the topic.
Ah well. I was getting to rambling anyways.

Carry on brother.

Damn...it's Sunday. Liquor stores are closed....

Somebody get this man some more scotch and seltzer please!!!!! I honestly enjoy the rambling. :tu

Yeah...Dennis Miller wasn't the best tbh. I can remember one time the ref signaled "holding" and Miller said, "Looks like we got Pass Interference on the Defense". :lmao

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Damn...it's Sunday. Liquor stores are closed....

Somebody get this man some more scotch and seltzer please!!!!! I honestly enjoy the rambling. :tu

Yeah...Dennis Miller wasn't the best tbh. I can remember one time the ref signaled "holding" and Miller said, "Looks like we got Pass Interference on the Defense". :lmao

I live in El Paso, New Mexico is barely minutes away and have no such Draconian liquor laws.
Separation of Religion and State my ass...

I remember that game and call specifically!
Yeah- Dennis Miller. That was him. Totally a failed experiment. I just appreciated what they were going for.
Times are changing. Fans now have access to a wealth of information at their fingertips- Even the casual "mainstream" cats.
We don't need analysts doing color holding our hands to understand what's going on any longer.

The mainstream viewer has a decent understanding of what's going on in front of them now.
This isn't the 80's where there were people still saying "what is this... NBA thing? Give them both 100 points and two minutes left and we'll all be better for it."

The viewer is more savvy and I believe networks should start treating it that way.
TNT has it really figured out with a mix of former players and a heavy focus on entertainment, but for in-games?

I liked Walton/anyone- the sniping between Walton and whoever was always great to me.
I want someone who knows what's going on and relates it to the viewer well, but also offers something more.
They're getting paid obscene dollars doing what they do- why not ask for more?

Shit- I'm still typing??

DMC
03-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Jeff is the best because he knows basketball inside and out. He not only will tell you what's going on in the game, but he'll point out nuances to you and tell you what those mean, and he'll be right about it. I've seen him point out defensive mismatches that neither head coach saw at the time, and what he said would happen did happen, how he said it would happen. These are things most people never see coming. Jeff does.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Jeff is the best because he knows basketball inside and out. He not only will tell you what's going on in the game, but he'll point out nuances to you and tell you what those mean, and he'll be right about it. I've seen him point out defensive mismatches that neither head coach saw at the time, and what he said would happen did happen, how he said it would happen. These are things most people never see coming. Jeff does.
Yes- he does that and he's entertaining.
You can have a robot detail every little thing that's happening and it's going to suck watching.
Informative, but a drag.

It's not just about knowing what's going on.
It should be #1 yes, but I want more.
I don't want to hear Reggie Miller and his garbage.
Not informative and not entertaining.

Jeff is smart and witty and willing to get a little uncomfortable with his opinions and isn't afraid to "go down that road" on air.

That's why he's the best. On top of his immense basketball knowledge.

Gametight
03-08-2015, 06:50 PM

I like that about him, I also like how he is critical against the refs. Hubie Brown starts to get annoying with the explanations for the casuals but it's not bad enough to the point I have to mute him. Walton was probably my favorite because he wasn't afraid to talk shit to anyone...players,coaches, or refs. Not only that Walton has a list of quotes you could fill a book up with.

Gametight
03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Waltonisms

http://www.billwalton.com/walton-quotes (http://www.billwalton.com/walton-quotes)

moisaenz
03-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I live in El Paso, New Mexico is barely minutes away and have no such Draconian liquor laws.
Separation of Religion and State my ass...

I remember that game and call specifically!
Yeah- Dennis Miller. That was him. Totally a failed experiment. I just appreciated what they were going for.
Times are changing. Fans now have access to a wealth of information at their fingertips- Even the casual "mainstream" cats.
We don't need analysts doing color holding our hands to understand what's going on any longer.

The mainstream viewer has a decent understanding of what's going on in front of them now.
This isn't the 80's where there were people still saying "what is this... NBA thing? Give them both 100 points and two minutes left and we'll all be better for it."

The viewer is more savvy and I believe networks should start treating it that way.
TNT has it really figured out with a mix of former players and a heavy focus on entertainment, but for in-games?

I liked Walton/anyone- the sniping between Walton and whoever was always great to me.
I want someone who knows what's going on and relates it to the viewer well, but also offers something more.
They're getting paid obscene dollars doing what they do- why not ask for more?

Shit- I'm still typing??

Finally another el pasoan on spurstalk..

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Waltonisms

http://www.billwalton.com/walton-quotes (http://www.billwalton.com/walton-quotes)
Awesome.
Thank you.
I'm telling you- that guy was incredible to watch a game to.
Yeah, he was a goof from time to time, but that was him and his drug-addled brain and I thought it brought a much needed breath of fresh air to sports commentating.

Thank you.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Finally another el pasoan on spurstalk..
Right on brother.
And damn proud of it.

Live on the west side up on the mountain and I am a frequent of the bars around my area.
Hoppy Monk, 18th Hole, Hope and Anchor...
First name basis.

You ever want to hook up- let me know.
I generally bring my girl because she's a big-time fan also. She's cool as hell.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Now I remember why I dislike Walton.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Now I remember why I dislike Walton.
Lol. To each their own, my friend.
One man's meat is another man's poison.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Lol. To each their own, my friend.
One man's meat is another man's poison.

He's a hyperbolic goon, but I can see how that might appeal to some folks.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 07:10 PM
It appealed to me. I make no bones about it. It was... different than what I was used to hearing.
None the less: I get what you're saying and I don't dispute it. It's almost like asking people who enjoy Chet Baker to say what they think of The Doors.

They both have their merits.
Different strokes for different folks.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 07:13 PM
It appealed to me. I make no bones about it. It was... different than what I was used to hearing.
None the less: I get what you're saying and I don't dispute it. It's almost like asking people who enjoy Chet Baker to say what they think of The Doors.

They both have their merits.
Different strokes for different folks.

I bet Walton is a Doors fan.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't doubt it.
You already know he's a Dead Head so it follows.
I like the Doors. More of a Stones guy myself.

Pink Floyd on vinyl with great speakers and a terrific amp is the best though on a quiet night with nothing going on.
A giant , I mean a giant 7&7, great atmosphere and parts 1-16 of Shine On?

Now my inner stoner is coming out...

ElNono
03-08-2015, 07:22 PM

Walton is a huge, huge Grateful Dead fan... he's mentioned them in a lot of articles and during telecasts

CitizenDwayne
03-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Walton's rantings and ravings about the transcendent skills of Eric Piatkowski and the like are not altogether unlike Jim Morrison's onstage antics regarding the "Lizard King" and all that shit

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Walton is a huge, huge Grateful Dead fan... he's mentioned them in a lot of articles and during telecasts

That's pretty much the basis of my theory that he likes The Doors.

ElNono
03-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Loved Walton's hyperbole during games... "Is he the best 6th man ever?"... lol

I actually got to meet him and got his autograph during a Nets-Spurs telecast he was doing for ESPN right before he stopped doing them. tbh, it was painful to just watch him walk.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Loved Walton's hyperbole during games... "Is he the best 6th man ever?"... lol

I actually got to meet him and got his autograph during a Nets-Spurs telecast he was doing for ESPN right before he stopped doing them. tbh, it was painful to just watch him walk.

Did you shake his pee pee hand?

ElNono
03-08-2015, 07:29 PM

:lol

I was wearing my ARG soccer shirt, per the usual... he looked at it like "what is this clown wearing"?... but he was classy and kind. Signed for me and a couple other guys.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2015, 07:30 PM
:lol

I was wearing my ARG soccer shirt, per the usual... he looked at it like "what is this clown wearing"?... but he was classy and kind. Signed for me and a couple other guys.

That's cool. I'm just teasing.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Fell off my chair laughing...

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Walton's rantings and ravings about the transcendent skills of Eric Piatkowski and the like are not altogether unlike Jim Morrison's onstage antics regarding the "Lizard King" and all that shit
Such a loon.
That's what I loved though.

But Bill was more innocent and happy in his on-air remarks where Jim was "esoteric" and talking about "sex magick" and such.
But Jim was doing poetry and trying to make his "statement" which obviously has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

I guess I want more happy loons on the air.
There's enough unhappy loons on air as it is.

ViceCity86
03-08-2015, 08:06 PM
I loved the Walton and Snapper Jones tandem on NBC

JVG is currently my favorite.

DMC
03-08-2015, 08:06 PM
That's how i feel about him as well. He's not a national treasure, he's a brain dead idiot out there saying outlandish shit all the time.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 08:10 PM
That's how i feel about him as well. He's not a national treasure, he's a brain dead idiot out there saying outlandish shit all the time.
You can get extreme on your opinion.
I enjoyed him and the games he called.

You'd rather enjoy Land and Elliott or Hubie and whoever or Mark Jackson and whoever- so be it.
I liked the randomness of his stuff.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 08:12 PM
I loved the Walton and Snapper Jones tandem on NBC

JVG is currently my favorite.
Honestly towards the end of their national tenure it started feeling forced like a producer told them to play it up.
But it's kind of what JVG does now with his snipes at whoever is with him.

He plays up his character too to an extant.

DMC
03-08-2015, 08:12 PM
You can get extreme on your opinion.
I enjoyed him and the games he called.

You'd rather enjoy Land and Elliott or Hubie and whoever or Mark Jackson and whoever- so be it.
I liked the randomness of his stuff.

I hate Bill Land, with a passion. I also don't care for Sean.

Don't care for Mark Jackson either.

There are very few I care to hear. Marv, JVG... not many more.

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 08:15 PM
I hate Bill Land, with a passion. I also don't care for Sean.
Whatever. You got the gist of what I was saying.
Hopefully you like somebody or I guess you watch all games on mute, live or to Schoenig on the radio.

Don't be purposefully dense.
Isn't there enough of that shit on this site already?

gospursgojas
03-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Rememeber 03 playoffs when the commentary team consisted of Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Rememeber 03 playoffs when the commentary team consisted of Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert
I think Tommy Tolbert was a bad thing for the booth.
Walton needed a more calm foil to help balance his madness.

ViceCity86
03-08-2015, 08:25 PM
2003 NBA Finals team

Tolbert/Walton/Brad Nessler

That was bad

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 08:34 PM
2003 NBA Finals team

Tolbert/Walton/Brad Nessler

That was bad
No argument. I think that ended Walton nationally and probably deservedly so.

I'm sure I'm more of a niche fan as far as that goes, based from reading here.
Ah well.
I liked the big goof and his weirdness.
I embraced it.

Capt Bringdown
03-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Walton has a mangasm over Boris Diaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

A reminder how great Walton was, here he is with the Celtics, when his best days were way behind him - still awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbAQaLHT1E

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 10:49 PM

A reminder how great Walton was, here he is with the Celtics, when his best days were way behind him - still awesome:

Seriously- talking about Beethoven and the Age of Romantics during an NBA game towards a player?
Who does that?
Loved the guy.

I don't know what to say about those guys who call him a "goon"... ridiculous.
He was a free spirit whose words soared in the clouds along with his thoughts.
Fucking hyperbolic goon...

How can you have HST as your avi Ohmwrecker and not appreciate a free spirit?
Makes zero sense...

CitizenDwayne
03-09-2015, 02:26 AM
I honestly agree with most of what you're saying.

Despite (or maybe because of ) all his ridiculous exaggerations and weirdly antagonistic chemistry with some of his on-air partners (ex: Tolbert), I found the guy entertaining as hell to listen to. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, I don't know, but when I think of classic NBA moments, they often involve Walton's commentary

CitizenDwayne
03-09-2015, 02:29 AM
Oh by the way while HST may have been a "free spirit", I think he personally would have loathed Walton. The guy seemed to have a very low tolerance for buffoonish people, and it's kinda unfair and inaccurate to lump HST in with standard hippies. He was always highly critical of the kind of "flower child" ethos Walton seems to embody. Just my opinion.

DMC
03-09-2015, 08:26 AM

You see the ball movement the Celtics and Lakers had in those days and you compare that to the league now. Only a couple teams move the ball like that, really only one. You have these super talented guys who will go on a 3 on 1 fast break and never pass the ball.

Fireball
03-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Hubie always roots for the underdogs/the "younger" team ... he is intelligent enough to know that the Spurs are always at least on par with any team and the "older" team as well. That's it ..

Uriel
03-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Seriously- talking about Beethoven and the Age of Romantics during an NBA game towards a player?
Who does that?
Loved the guy.

I don't know what to say about those guys who call him a "goon"... ridiculous.
He was a free spirit whose words soared in the clouds along with his thoughts.
Fucking hyperbolic goon...

How can you have HST as your avi Ohmwrecker and not appreciate a free spirit?
Makes zero sense...
I am in awe of how thin Boris Diaw used to be. :lol

look_at_g_shred
03-09-2015, 09:42 AM
I don't think Hubie is biased at all. I like his basketball insight tbh.. He's always giving praise to the Spurs during broadcast and has been doing so for years. Reggie Miller/Jon Barry on the other hand...

SASdynasty!
03-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Walton, JVG, Albert, Breen >

Miller, Jackson <

SASdynasty!
03-09-2015, 10:01 AM
I don't think Hubie is biased at all. I like his basketball insight tbh.. He's always giving praise to the Spurs during broadcast and has been doing so for years. Reggie Miller/Jon Barry on the other hand...
Yah I really don't mind Hubie all that much. He overstates the obvious a little bit, but most of the time I appreciate it while watching. And yah, I think he respects the Spurs more than a lot of the other guys. I am noticing he is getting more unreserved. There were like 3 or 4 plays where he just basically shouted "oh no" last game when he saw a bad play coming.

Horse
03-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Lost NBA Western Conference First Round (0-4) versus San Antonio Spurs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2004.html). This is why hubie hates the Spurs.