PDA

View Full Version : I have a theory about the Spurs

Uriel
11-15-2014, 10:59 PM
The Spurs are primarily a rhythm team. Their motion offense relies on their players being in-sync, on-point, and on-target with one another. It's how their spacing, ball movement, and constant passing thrives.

When the Spurs play a lot of games in a row in a short span of time, it serves to keep the team in-sync. Case in point: right now, the Spurs are in the midst of a 4 games in 6 nights / 7 games in 11 nights stretch. And with each passing game, they've gotten progressively better and better as the team has been able to sustain its rhythm. At the moment, at a juncture when most pundits would think they'd be worn out from playing so many games in so little time, they're actually playing their best basketball of the season.

But when the Spurs have long lay-offs in the schedule, it throws their entire game out-of-whack, and they end up playing poorly. For evidence, look at our poor early season record, when we would play 1 game then have 2 days off then 1 game and have another 3 days off. It was disastrous, and we sputtered to a 2-3 start.

Even Pop said himself that the reason why it took us 7 games to beat Dallas in the playoffs last season was that the long lay-off in the schedule and the resting of the stars towards the end of the regular season completely took the Spurs out-of-sync, so it took a while for the team to regain its rhythm.

vander
11-15-2014, 11:05 PM
tbh the reason the Spurs took 7 years between championships was to try and rid themselves of the retard homer fan...

Uriel
11-15-2014, 11:09 PM
tbh the reason the Spurs took 7 years between championships was to try and rid themselves of the retard homer fan...
How is this a homer take? :lol

midnightpulp
11-15-2014, 11:14 PM
The Spurs are primarily a rhythm team. Their motion offense relies on their players being in-sync, on-point, and on-target with one another. It's how their spacing, ball movement, and constant passing thrives.

When the Spurs play a lot of games in a row in a short span of time, it serves to keep the team in-sync. Case in point: right now, the Spurs are in the midst of a 4 games in 6 nights / 7 games in 11 nights stretch. And with each passing game, they've gotten progressively better and better as the team has been able to sustain its rhythm. At the moment, at a juncture when most pundits would think they'd be worn out from playing so many games in so little time, they're actually playing their best basketball of the season.

But when the Spurs have long lay-offs in the schedule, it throws their entire game out-of-whack, and they end up playing poorly. For evidence, look at our poor early season record, when we would play 1 game then have 2 days off then 1 game and have another 3 days off. It was disastrous, and we sputtered to a 2-3 start.

Even Pop said himself that the reason why it took us 7 games to beat Dallas in the playoffs last season was that the long lay-off in the schedule and the resting of the stars towards the end of the regular season completely took the Spurs out-of-sync, so it took a while for the team to regain its rhythm.

The Golden State game is the only game where they looked like the Spurs of last year.

They got lucky against the Clippers, didn't look very impressive against the Lakers until the 4th, when the Lakers obviously went into tank mode, and are now below 40 points in a half against a team that gives up 102 points per.

Your rhythm hypothesis does make sense, however, and I think this team is still trying to find its rhythm sans 3 of their rotation players.

Uriel
11-15-2014, 11:23 PM
The Golden State game is the only game where they looked like the Spurs of last year.

They got lucky against the Clippers, didn't look very impressive against the Lakers until the 4th, when the Lakers obviously went into tank mode, and are now below 40 points in a half against a team that gives up 102 points per.

Your rhythm hypothesis does make sense, however, and I think this team is still trying to find its rhythm sans 3 of their rotation players.
I agree that they got lucky against the Clippers. But the fact that they played their best game of the year the very next day against the Warriors is evidence for my hypothesis. The fact that they played the day before helped them to find a rhythm, and they were able to put it on full display against Golden State.

The Lakers game supports my hypothesis too. They had two days off, so they lost their rhythm a little bit. But after 3 full quarters of basketball, they began to regain it again, and were able to put the Lakers in full blast in the 4th.

Uriel
11-15-2014, 11:30 PM
The need for rhythm and being in-sync is not only integral to their passing, by the way, but also their ability to make 3-point shots.

spurraider21
11-15-2014, 11:40 PM
How is this a homer take? :lol
he wasn't calling you a homer

Uriel
11-15-2014, 11:44 PM
he wasn't calling you a homer
Then what was he doing?

spurraider21
Then what was he doing?
read his post again, and don't take it as a response aimed at you

FireMicoHalili
my theory is...losing a few games early is somewhat acceptable so that the targets on their backs shift to higher seeds e.g. Memphis, GS, Houston

spurraider21
11-15-2014, 11:48 PM
i think the rhythm thing just means they get better as the year goes along... not necessarily when they play a bunch of games in succession. we looked just fine having days off between finals games...

RD2191
11-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Much like the theory of evolution your theory is also full of shit.

spurraider21
11-16-2014, 12:05 AM
:pctoss

RD2191
11-16-2014, 12:45 AM
:pctoss
:lol

Uriel
11-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Your stupidity is exceeded only by your stupidity.

TampaDude
11-16-2014, 12:55 AM

If you don't believe in evolution, despite the vast mountains of evidence to support it, then you are an idiot.

RD2191
11-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Your stupidity is exceeded only by your stupidity.
And don't you forget it.

RD2191
11-16-2014, 12:56 AM
If you don't believe in evolution, despite the vast mountains of evidence to support it, then you are an idiot.
Lol evidence.

TampaDude
11-16-2014, 12:57 AM
Lol evidence.

LOL religion.

spurraider21
11-16-2014, 12:58 AM
we can just bump one of the club threads tbh... no need to start this shit here :lol

ElNono
It's only November, chill

RD2191
LOL religion.
What does religion have to do with anything?

Budkin

Rob totally believes in Evolution.

RD2191
11-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Ight fellas, tell me more bout how I came from a fish.:wakeup

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:02 AM
What came first? The chicken or the egg

TampaDude
11-16-2014, 01:04 AM

More like a horse's ass. :lol

Uriel
11-16-2014, 03:34 AM
See, that's one of the misconceptions about evolution. You didn't come from a fish, you merely share a common ancestor with one. There's a difference.

spurraider21
11-16-2014, 03:48 AM
you came from your parents tbh

100%duncan
11-16-2014, 04:31 AM
It's only November, chill

Mr Bones
11-16-2014, 01:33 PM
I think the reason the Spurs are great is because they collectively understand that the Big Picture is more important than the small picture. This sounds obvious, but it's hard to stick with. While members of Spurstalk are proposing a hundred trades, and wringing their hands over minutiae, Pop dryly explains why the core of his title-winning team remains intact: "We had a pretty good year. I didn't see any reason to kick them out of town."

z0sa
11-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Good luck establishing your rhythm for any meaningful period of time with all these nagging injuries.

Biernutz
11-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Less than 10 games in..Patty and Splitter out. Kawhi with eye problems, Manu said he feels dead
after a back to back. Pop tinkers with the line up.....Wait till the all star break. If its like this then
then start to worry.....Some.......

Uriel
11-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Good luck establishing your rhythm for any meaningful period of time with all these nagging injuries.
Yeah, this is the primary concern at this point. Last season, the Spurs were also confronted with an avalanche of injures in the 1st half of the season, and were regarded by many as the most vulnerable of the top 4 teams (MIA, IND, OKC, SA). But by the 2nd half, they were able to become reasonably healthy for a sustained stretch and ended up posting a dominant winning record, including 19 straight wins.

DMC
11-17-2014, 02:06 AM

This is obviously true, however the downside is that they tire, so you have to balance their playing time with their conditioning and chemistry (what you're referring to is chemistry). Any team will play better when it's playing more often, but there's a diminishing returns aspect that shows later down the line.

DMC
11-17-2014, 02:07 AM
you came from your parents tbh
Who came for fish tacos.