PDA

View Full Version : The more I watch Baynes....

AussieFanKurt
11-15-2014, 11:07 PM
The less I want to see of him... he is playing like rubbish.... but then again is he worse than Ayres?

Fireball
11-15-2014, 11:09 PM
no, just not a good game from him ... finishes weak

Uriel
11-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Are you sure you're an Aussie, tbh? :lol

Spurs da champs
11-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Baynes can't finish to save his life, he's pretty soft, those screens are the only physical part of his game.

UZER
11-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Dudes show be bullying niggas but instead goes up like a princess around the basket.

AussieFanKurt
11-15-2014, 11:18 PM
he is the biggest dude on the court everyday... he should be killing dudes going to the basket... gets blocked so often

hater
11-15-2014, 11:20 PM
well that's gonna be a way to beat us this season IMO. We got a soft as shit frontcourt. Ayres, Baynes, Bonner, Diaw, and Splitter are on the soft side of things.

exstatic
11-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Mr. 43.6%

TheGreatYacht
11-15-2014, 11:22 PM
At least he's not Bonner

Baam
11-15-2014, 11:24 PM
At least he's not Bonner

:tu Baynes as the 4th/5th big is not the main problem... Relying so much on Bonner on the other hand...

TheGreatYacht
11-15-2014, 11:31 PM
:tu Baynes as the 4th/5th big is not the main problem... Relying so much on Bonner on the other hand...
This, also Baynes and Duncan is a P&R nightmare

AussieFanKurt
11-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Hurry back Splitts

UZER
11-16-2014, 12:33 AM
I know it's blasphemous... but Errors would've been good for some minutes on Cousins tonight. He sucks, but going against someone like cousins is perfect for him to hack some fouls.

Ayers is garbage but he's not soft.

DapDaGenius
11-16-2014, 12:34 AM
I miss Splitter.

spurraider21
11-16-2014, 12:34 AM
time for a game tying 3

itzsoweezee
11-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Every big man outside of Duncan and Diaw is giving the Spurs nothing in terms of scoring. And it's a given none of them have the physical ability to defend. It can't go on like this.

Ice009
11-16-2014, 12:40 AM
At this point, I am willing to admit I may have been wrong about bringing him back.

The Spurs were correct to only offer him the QO. I thought Baynes was tougher than this, but he's just weak as piss. Pathetic lack of toughness shown from this guy. He's also more ground bound than I thought.

cd021
11-16-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm hoping the Spurs can acquire a legit 4th big man. Okafor could be worth a look. He has been solid for his entire career. Even coming after a lost year + he would be worth a look over Ayers and Baynes.

DesignatedT
11-16-2014, 12:49 AM
Inconsistent. Some good games some bad. Not a good quality but decent backup big.

cd021
11-16-2014, 12:56 AM
I know it's blasphemous... but Errors would've been good for some minutes on Cousins tonight. He sucks, but going against someone like cousins is perfect for him to hack some fouls.

Ayers is garbage but he's not soft.

I've never understood why Ayers was seen as much worse than Baynes to begin with. Baynes can board but has troubles finishing (43% FG last year and 48% this season) He's even cut down on the jumpers and is still below 50%. Last season he only shot 46% on shots from 0-3 feet while Ayers shot 64%. He can't hardly catch a pass but when he actually does he's a better job at finishing and is a good passer as well.

DesignatedT
11-16-2014, 12:57 AM
Ayres is worse, don't care what the stats say.

siraulo23
11-16-2014, 01:25 AM
good god he was bad vs the kings

but then again he was playing against cousins, man he's a tough cover

Lerojo
11-16-2014, 01:32 AM
We are missing Tiago so much.

freetiago
11-16-2014, 02:02 AM
only reason Ayres has a higher field goal percentage is because he only "shoots" if he can dunk
his field goal percentage is basically his missed dunks
on top of his lack of rim protection terrible rebounding and high turnover rate

Baynes was basically playing Tiago's role tonight which hes obviously gonna fail at
hes fine in the 10-15 min backup role vs other teams bench when you have Mills/Marco/Ginobili/Diaw creating space and outscoring other bench units

BatManu20
11-16-2014, 02:31 AM
Anyone think the Spurs might actually be considering a trade before the deadline this year? Ayers and Pop's first born for any other decent big man in the league tbh.

tim_duncan_fan
11-16-2014, 03:45 AM
I thought Baynes could grow to be a 10 and 10 guy at least, but he goes up so fucking weak on almost every attempt. It's maddening.

spurraider21
11-16-2014, 03:55 AM
trade Neal, Bonner, Blair for an allstar

AussieFanKurt
11-16-2014, 04:55 AM
trade Neal, Bonner, Blair for an allstar

:lol

Old School 44
11-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Anyone think the Spurs might actually be considering a trade before the deadline this year? Ayers and Pop's first born for any other decent big man in the league tbh.
Yes...and although the reasons are all tied together, I think the primary reason is Splitter's recovery. Sadly, back injuries seem to linger forever.

weebo
11-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Should've signed Gustavo Ayon instead of this stiff.

Capt Bringdown
11-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Baynes wasn't the ish last night. Pop played the Bonner card for too long, which allowed the Kings to get back in the game.
Bonner should not be wearing a Spurs uniform.

jbspurs
11-16-2014, 12:23 PM

Ayers is garbage but he's not soft

Pop tried to put Ayers on DeMarcus, Pop pulled him right away after Pop saw Ayers braced himself for impact only to move back 5' guarding DeMarcus. DeMarcus is too big for Duncan, Ayers and Bonner. It was fun watching Baynes and Cousins battle inside the paint, the refs was just letting them play physical. DeMarcus just have a better footwork.

Mr Bones
11-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Baynes is and always has been a third string big man. I don't get why anyone would be surprised that he's just not that good. He wouldn't start on the Philadelphia 76ers.

Biernutz
11-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Baynes play is where it should be...He is a starter where he should be a 4-6 minute per game sub.
His game is as good as it will be. He is doing what he does. Sure there could be that rare game
but he is where he is....

BackHome
11-16-2014, 02:48 PM
The only thing he needs to correct is finishing and stop getting his stuff blocked all the time. People thought Splitter was soft............

T Park
11-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Baynes wasn't the ish last night. Pop played the Bonner card for too long, which allowed the Kings to get back in the game.
Bonner should not be wearing a Spurs uniform.

Yeah one single player was the sole reason Sacramento went on a 18-2 run.

Genius.

itzsoweezee
11-16-2014, 04:00 PM
The only thing he needs to correct is finishing and stop getting his stuff blocked all the time. People thought Splitter was soft............

Baynes doesn't have either the size or the athleticism necessary to finish around the basket. I hope he's able to develop a jumpshot, because he's not going to be scoring many points otherwise.

Biernutz
11-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Baynes doesn't have either the size or the athleticism necessary to finish around the basket. I hope he's able to develop a jumpshot, because he's not going to be scoring many points otherwise.

at 6'10" at 260lbs.....I think he can make some space around the lane.

BatManu20
11-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Baynes is what he is. Not sure why people try to make him out to be something special or act like he's underachieving or something. He's a decent 3rd-string big man.

gambit1990
11-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Baynes is what he is. Not sure why people try to make him out to be something special or act like he's underachieving or something. He's a decent 3rd-string big man.

exactly.

PingPong
11-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Baynes is and always has been a third string big man. I don't get why anyone would be surprised that he's just not that good. He wouldn't start on the Philadelphia 76ers.

As I said when he came from Europe and most of the ST had high expectations about him: if he was any good,he was playing at a Spanish, greek or turkish team, not at some eastern-europe country which exports most of their talents.

UZER
11-16-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm understand Baynes is a third big. I just wish he would gather and go up strong rather than going up like a princess around the rim.

TD 21
11-16-2014, 08:57 PM
I never understood the bizarre obsession with him on this board. As some have pointed out, he's not only not better than Ayres; he's probably worse.

The two things he's supposed to be able to do are rebound at a high rate and do a reasonable enough job on low post behemoths like Howard and Cousins that they can get by with him playing them straight up, yet he can't even do those two things. To top it off, he's a low IQ player.

I don't think most realize just how bad the fourth big situation is. Excluding the 76ers, who are not an NBA team, it's arguably the worst in the league.

jeebus
11-16-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm understand Baynes is a third big. I just wish he would gather and go up strong rather than going up like a princess around the rim.
The nig used to go up for dunks. I dunno if Pop took him to the Splitter School of Being a Bitch Around the Rim or what.

UZER
11-16-2014, 09:54 PM
The nig used to go up for dunks. I dunno if Pop took him to the Splitter School of Being a Bitch Around the Rim or what.

:lol probably

Dudes should be falling like bowling pins down there with Baynes size.

Instead he's trying to be Gregory Hines.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-16-2014, 09:58 PM
This is his first truly bad game. He has had other shooting night go poorly but generally speaking he has been functional. Maybe Pop gives up on him but after standing by Ayers regular struggles through 4 months last seson before pulling the plug he shows more patience.

I thought the Kinds gameplanned him. Gay ws clearly baiting KW into swiping at the ball as if he had been gameplanning and sure enough people think he owned Leonard. Thing is he shot 7-20 or ~35% for 18 points. That is shitty efficiency.

Parker was getting smoked on the same pnr Baynes was but nary a mention of that. It's like you guy's don't know what you are watching and stick with whatever emotional response you get during the game.

100%duncan
11-16-2014, 10:01 PM
I never understood the bizarre obsession with him on this board. As some have pointed out, he's not only not better than Ayres; he's probably worse.

The two things he's supposed to be able to do are rebound at a high rate and do a reasonable enough job on low post behemoths like Howard and Cousins that they can get by with him playing them straight up, yet he can't even do those two things. To top it off, he's a low IQ player.

I don't think most realize just how bad the fourth big situation is. Excluding the 76ers, who are not an NBA team, it's arguably the worst in the league.

If a 4th big is as important as you portray it, then this team is in deep trouble. You expect a 4th big to rebound a high rate? Really?

And no, he's not worse than Ayres. Have you seen that fucker play? He literally messes up every opportunity and can't catch the damn ball. He's a net negative player and he shouldn't be in the NBA. Where as Baynes has had some memorable moments, against LA in '13, Portland last playoffs...

TD 21
11-16-2014, 10:14 PM
If a 4th big is as important as you portray it, then this team is in deep trouble. You expect a 4th big to rebound a high rate? Really?

And no, he's not worse than Ayres. Have you seen that fucker play? He literally messes up every opportunity and can't catch the damn ball. He's a net negative player and he shouldn't be in the NBA. Where as Baynes has had some memorable moments, against LA in '13, Portland last playoffs...

It's all relative. When Duncan was young and could credibly play both big positions on both ends and play virtually unlimited minutes all season, fourth big didn't matter much. In the absence of that, it matters, especially when one of the top three isn't durable and lacks stamina.

I didn't say I expect a fourth big to rebound at a high rate, I said I expect this particular one to, since that was supposed to be his biggest strength and considering it generally translates well from level to level and league to league.

That's debatable; what's not is that he's no better. There's nothing statistically to suggest anything to the contrary and he's not a Bowen type, where it's difficult to accurately quantify his value through stats. Ayres was at least respectable two seasons ago, something Baynes has never been.

Biernutz
11-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Baynes is good value for what he makes. 6'10"--260lbs would be considered a big. I watched all the games and when he is a step or so from the basket he go in strong and not like a princess. He doesn't always make the shot but it's not for trying. if he is off the basket and the lane is blocked he will shoot a jumper and once in a while a Boris type tear drop. As for guarding the rim he won't back down even if it means the guy is trying to make a poster out of him. I rather see
Baynes in there instead of Ayres. Baynes always plays 100% when he is in. He sets picks and he pushes players around under the basket. Does anyone wonder how he got the nickname "the banger"...we are more than getting our money's worth for what we pay him. Don't try to make him into something he is not.

cd021
11-16-2014, 11:18 PM

Splitter does get blocked quite a bit (243 times in 318 career games) but has always been a very good finisher. When he came off the bench in the 11-12 season he finished 76% from 0-3 feet. When became a full time starter it dropped down the the mid 60's and his shot began getting blocked roughly 1 per game. Thats makes sense because starting big men tend to be bigger/taller and more athletic defenders.

There is some defensive issue there with Baynes,as well, but his finishing at the rim isn't new. He shot 56% from 0-3 feet last year. Thats laughably bad. Ricky Rubio shot 40% from the same range last season (obviously different players and positions but still..) He is at 46% this year from the same range. He also seldom get to the line, a Splitter specialty.

exstatic
11-16-2014, 11:22 PM

Mr 43.6%.

Biernutz
11-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Splitter does get blocked quite a bit (243 times in 318 career games) but has always been a very good finisher. When he came off the bench in the 11-12 season he finished 76% from 0-3 feet. When became a full time starter it dropped down the the mid 60's and his shot began getting blocked roughly 1 per game. Thats makes sense because starting big men tend to be bigger/taller and more athletic defenders.

There is some defensive issue there with Baynes,as well, but his finishing at the rim isn't new. He shot 43% from 0-3 feet last year. Thats laughably bad. Ricky Rubio shot 40% from the same range last season (obviously different players and positions but still..) He is at 46% this year from the same range. He also seldom get to the line, a Splitter specialty.
Comparing Baynes to Rubio. Really?

DMC
11-17-2014, 02:09 AM
Big guys take longer to regain conditioning and Baynes hasn't been with the team long enough to have the thoughtless reflexes needed to do well with them in early season.

100%duncan
11-17-2014, 02:53 AM
It's all relative. When Duncan was young and could credibly play both big positions on both ends and play virtually unlimited minutes all season, fourth big didn't matter much. In the absence of that, it matters, especially when one of the top three isn't durable and lacks stamina.

I didn't say I expect a fourth big to rebound at a high rate, I said I expect this particular one to, since that was supposed to be his biggest strength and considering it generally translates well from level to level and league to league.

That's debatable; what's not is that he's no better. There's nothing statistically to suggest anything to the contrary and he's not a Bowen type, where it's difficult to accurately quantify his value through stats. Ayres was at least respectable two seasons ago, something Baynes has never been.

How can it be relative? Having a prime big or an aging veteran doesnt change the importance of a 4th big to a team. It's objective.

You said Baynes should rebound at a high rate, Baynes is our 4th big. You said Baynes is not even good well because he's a 4th big, he was never meant to be good. In fact I challenge you to find a better 4th big in the league, and if you cant even name one then feel lucky that you have a starting big on a national team as your 4th big.

Errors was never considered respectable please. If that's respectable for you and stopping/banging with Howard in 13 or the portland series last playoffs arent then I dont know what to tell you anymore.

Also, you talk about debatability, well then let's make a poll here whether which player does spurs fans think is better errors or baynes. Im willing to bet all except you and exstatic feel the same.

Sean Cagney
11-17-2014, 03:06 AM
I miss Splitter.
We do, unfortunately he is hurt a hell of alot. Dude is good but he is as soft as burger buns.

cd021
11-17-2014, 04:54 AM
Comparing Baynes to Rubio. Really?

Obviously not a great comparison, but it shows how poor Baynes 0-3 feet FG % is around the basket so far this season.

Biernutz
11-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Obviously not a great comparison, but it shows how poor Baynes 0-3 feet FG % is around the basket so far this season.

The Spurs have played less than 10 games and in that time Baynes has made 3 of 5 shots 1 foot or less from the basket.
All of these shots were contested with the defense man 1 foot or less away. I feel dumb putting up these statistics because they don't mean much right now. Tell me after he has played in 20 games . Again ....you get what you pay for and for keeping Tiago's seat warm till he gets back his numbers are passable.

exstatic
11-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Big guys take longer to regain conditioning and Baynes hasn't been with the team long enough to have the thoughtless reflexes needed to do well with them in early season.

He

played

all

summer.

DMC
11-17-2014, 08:39 AM
He

played

all

summer.

Not

in

the

NBA

Maddog
11-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Cousins is a really bad mach up for him. He is just way too quick. Baynes is a decent 4th big. He shouldn't have to be out there against a player like Cousins. He's out there because of Injuries and Ayres not being up to snuff.

exstatic
11-17-2014, 09:07 PM
DOINK!!!

Johnny RIngo
11-17-2014, 09:34 PM
DOINK!!!

At halftime:

+5 Baynes
-5 Ayres

Jeff "negative impact" Ayres

Uh huh!

spurraider21
11-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Ayres could be inactive and still end up with a negative +/-

Robz4000
11-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Baynes has been fun to watch tonight

cd021
11-17-2014, 10:41 PM
The Spurs have played less than 10 games and in that time Baynes has made 3 of 5 shots 1 foot or less from the basket.
All of these shots were contested with the defense man 1 foot or less away. I feel dumb putting up these statistics because they don't mean much right now. Tell me after he has played in 20 games . Again ....you get what you pay for and for keeping Tiago's seat warm till he gets back his numbers are passable.

Of course, very small sample size. But looking back to last season its shows he has a bit of a pattern in not being able to finish at the rim. According to Basketball Reference he has attempted 74.3 % of his shot at the 0-3 feet. that's 2.9 attempts per game multiplied by 9 games and that's 26 attempts from that range so he is about 16-26 from that range (his % has increased to 62.5%)

Its an interesting stat but if he improves to around league then he could be serviceable on offense at least.

Prose
11-17-2014, 10:43 PM
actually ive been happy with Baynes this year. he brings a big physical presence in the paint...and he can give you 6 - 10 points a night....and he can catch the ball.

jeebus
11-17-2014, 10:49 PM
At least he doesn't shoot 36% from the field like a certain faggot does :lol

exstatic
11-17-2014, 10:52 PM
At halftime:

+5 Baynes
-5 Ayres

Jeff "negative impact" Ayres

Uh huh!

But he missed a DUNK. And he fumbled a pass.

MY GOD!

spurraider21
11-17-2014, 10:57 PM
brah, just take the L on the ayres thing

you are arguably a better basketball player than him

jeebus
11-17-2014, 11:03 PM

Nah, let him go. It's like watching Kirby chuck brick after brick then try to rationalize it postgame.

RD2191
11-17-2014, 11:03 PM

:lol

100%duncan
11-17-2014, 11:08 PM

:lmao

tim_duncan_fan
11-17-2014, 11:47 PM
My nigguh Baynes slayed tonight!

Just when I was ready to give up my hopes for him.

One thing I've noticed about Aron is that he needs to shoot more jumpers. If we intentionally go to him a few times a game, he can get 10 points, but if he can throw in a couple open jumpers, that's another 4 points on any given night. It's seems very doable for him if you watch him closely...the touch on his freethrows looks fucking deft.

SupremeGuy
11-17-2014, 11:54 PM

you are arguably a better basketball player than him:lmao

FuzzyLumpkins
11-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Nah, let him go. It's like watching Kirby chuck brick after brick then try to rationalize it postgame.

Ice009
11-18-2014, 12:28 AM
But he missed a DUNK. And he fumbled a pass.

Even though I've been a little disappointed in Baynes so far this season, I really do think he's still the better player between the two.

Hopefully Baynes can build off of this game and keep improving.

ElNono
11-18-2014, 12:47 AM
I liked how he played against the sixers scrubs tonight... got a few solid rebounds, and what not...

TheGreatYacht
11-18-2014, 05:14 AM
Even though I've been a little disappointed in Baynes so far this season, I really do think he's still the better player between the two.

Hopefully Baynes can build off of this game and keep improving.
Shitty take is shitty

Fireball
11-18-2014, 05:42 AM
Today showed that Manu is building some nice P&R chemistry with Baynes which will be necessary when Splitter returns to the starting lineup. No playing against starters should make look Baynes as good as he looked against Philly.

aal04
11-18-2014, 07:12 AM
tough, big banger, 5 fouls to give cheap big.

We are in desperate need of a big banger thats tough.

cd021
11-18-2014, 07:15 AM
My nigguh Baynes slayed tonight!

Just when I was ready to give up my hopes for him.

One thing I've noticed about Aron is that he needs to shoot more jumpers. If we intentionally go to him a few times a game, he can get 10 points, but if he can throw in a couple open jumpers, that's another 4 points on any given night. It's seems very doable for him if you watch him closely...the touch on his free throws looks fucking deft.

He shot 28% on shots from 10-23 feet last season, he has cut down on them (for now at least) which is smart. He has a solid touch but can't knock them down at a good rate. Would be nice if he developed a Kurt Thomas jumper. That would give us spacing at both backup big spots.

tim_duncan_fan
11-18-2014, 11:32 PM
He shot 28% on shots from 10-23 feet last season, he has cut down on them (for now at least) which is smart. He has a solid touch but can't knock them down at a good rate. Would be nice if he developed a Kurt Thomas jumper. That would give us spacing at both backup big spots.

Wow, that is pretty poor and I didn't realize he was that bad, but I think he just needs a little time with Mr. Engelland and to get up a ton more jumpers in practice. Also, more time on the court will help with gaining rhythm. Let's hope he builds on this last game in general.

exstatic
11-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Wow, that is pretty poor and I didn't realize he was that bad, but I think he just needs a little time with Mr. Engelland and to get up a ton more jumpers in practice. Also, more time on the court will help with gaining rhythm. Let's hope he builds on this last game in general.

Apparently, he rails them in practice, sort of like Shaq and his FTs.

tim_duncan_fan
11-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Apparently, he rails them in practice, sort of like Shaq and his FTs.

Really? Damn it, Baynes.

Gotta do better if he wants to play once The Golden God is back.

Biernutz
11-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Baynes could do a lot worse if he were to model his shooting game after Boris.
Boris has such a soft touch from the 3pt line but he probably makes more tear drops
than anyone one on the team. Then he has that nice 15ft jumper, add in a reverse layup.
If Baynes could shoot like that .......Chip..Chip...

FuzzyLumpkins
11-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Shitty take is shitty

IMO, you, Hoops Czar, and TD21 are the shittiest posters here as it concerns basketball insight. I think the midget parroting Memphis marketing slogans and KBP Greece worship are you guys' rivals in the shit poster category.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-19-2014, 02:18 AM

Reading your posts, I sometimes wonder if you watch the games. You talk like you look to your stat splits and are unable to talk about basket ball as it's played on the court.

Wgaf if he shoots poorly on the 3 or 4 shots he takes a night as much as his ability to play defense. I thought he played god awful versus Boogie and company but to me it was his defense that was the worst. Yet here you are with your stat line.

Did he even shoot more than 2 dozen of those shots?

spurraider21
11-19-2014, 02:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-uyO8mY6WM

MI21
11-19-2014, 04:43 AM
I'm an Aussie so I obviously want Baynes to do very well, but some posters here had some very unrealistic expectations.

He pretty much is what he is. An average 4th big man in the NBA, or an above average 5th bigman.

Which is still better than Ayres, who is probably a below average 3rd big man down at the local division 2 mens Monday night rec center comp, tbh

exstatic
11-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Really? Damn it, Baynes.

Gotta do better if he wants to play once The Golden God is back.

Sooner than later, teams are going to break down video on him this season, and the opposing big will just follow Manu to the hoop, daring Baynes to shoot.

TheGreatYacht
11-19-2014, 07:35 PM
IMO, you, Hoops Czar, and TD21 are the shittiest posters here as it concerns basketball insight. I think the midget parroting Memphis marketing slogans and KBP Greece worship are you guys' rivals in the shit poster category.
No one respects you, though. But don't worry :) I'll actually read your posts

hitmanyr2k
11-19-2014, 07:46 PM
From what I've seen of Baynes so far he has the hands of Olden Polynice. The guy fumbles every other pass thrown his way lol.

cd021
11-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Reading your posts, I sometimes wonder if you watch the games. You talk like you look to your stat splits and are unable to talk about basket ball as it's played on the court.

Wgaf if he shoots poorly on the 3 or 4 shots he takes a night as much as his ability to play defense. I thought he played god awful versus Boogie and company but to me it was his defense that was the worst. Yet here you are with your stat line.

Did he even shoot more than 2 dozen of those shots?

:lol I quote him because he mentioned that Baynes should shoot more from the outside but I replied with his percentages on those shots an now I don't how how to "talk about basketball as its played on the court"

He took 42 shots from 10-23 feet last season and knocked them down at at 28% clip.

I watch quite a few games ( more than 70 last season). I 'm not convinced your completely objective about Baynes .

I've been critical and I've also gave props when he played well (i.e. Portland game 2). For the money he is getting payed he isn't going to be a perfect player but there are still some flaws to his game.

Defensively there are some issues but it can corrected in time hopefully. I didn't love is defense on the final possession against NOP.

He probably should have covered ADs right and forced him to go left and finish with his left. But that can't be all on him he needs playing time to learn things like that. He played him physically.

cd021
11-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Yeah cause your a better poster that TD21 :lol just cause you don't agree with our takes doesn't mean you can stand on some pedestal and act like your a superior poster. We get it you love Baynes. Its not like I don't want him to succeed with the Spurs.

cd021
11-19-2014, 07:56 PM
From what I've seen of Baynes so far he has the hands of Olden Polynice. The guy fumbles every other pass thrown his way lol.

Watching the cleveland game. He's fumbled at least 3 passes in the first half.

MI21
11-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Spurs fans are spoilt, expecting elite hands from a deep bench big.

Yes, Duncan, Diaw and Splitter catch everything whether under the hoop, on the run etc - but they are elite.

Baynes hands aren't to bad for a 4th/5th big. Don't underestimate how hard it is to catch passes that are coming from weird angles from Manu, Diaw and Parker.

tim_duncan_fan
11-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Sooner than later, teams are going to break down video on him this season, and the opposing big will just follow Manu to the hoop, daring Baynes to shoot.

So we know what his eventual sink/swim moments will be. Hope he throws it in the bucket 45% of the time on those open shots. Lofty goal/big wish, I know.

exstatic
11-19-2014, 09:32 PM
So we know what his eventual sink/swim moments will be. Hope he throws it in the bucket 45% of the time on those open shots. Lofty goal/big wish, I know.

45% on midrange is ELITE. Expected would be maybe 37% for someone with a jump shot. From Baynes? He should give up the ball.

tim_duncan_fan
11-19-2014, 09:39 PM
45% on midrange is ELITE. Expected would be maybe 37% for someone with a jump shot. From Baynes? He should give up the ball.

Eh. Probably right.

But hopefully he can swing 2 out of every 5 of those.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-19-2014, 11:16 PM
No one respects you, though. But don't worry :) I'll actually read your posts

Speak for yourself.

superbigtime
11-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Baynes is alright. A little clumsy but has some nice touch with the ball at times. Im glad he's ahead of Ayres, but really he's just a serviceable big and a good teammate.

Nero5
11-20-2014, 01:35 AM
the problem with the quotation of statistics on this forum is the lack of context: is the shot contested or uncontested? Is it against first or second rotation opposition? Is it prime time or garbage time? Baynes is good for the spurs as he fulfills a role at an acceptable price. The whole Spurs team and ethos is finding the right shape plug for the right hole in the team as appropriate for the moment - it's clearly a strategy to prolong the careers of the big 3 and it suits the budget of the organisation and the coaching style of Pop. Sure Baynes will not be the right player for some contests and exactly the right player at other times - but cut out the quotation of stats as thought they are really meaningful.

spurraider21
11-20-2014, 02:53 AM
they do a good job of keeping space between them even when Baynes rolls... manu drives at a wide angle, giving space for pocket passes. Baynes is capable of finishing with either hand on either side of the rim. Not quite like Tiago, and doesn't have hands like Tiago, but he's serviceable. i think his biggest issue is keeping the foul count low. his defensive awareness and positioning needs work, and i think extensive playing time will help.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-20-2014, 03:23 AM
Watching the cleveland game. He's fumbled at least 3 passes in the first half.

I saw the fumble on the Manu bullet and that was about it. He had one TO. The feeds on the pnr off the doubling of the ballhandler the Cavs were running all night to contain Parker and Manu were not very good but he didn't lose any of them. He got layups off several of them early but after Leonard and Manu bricked up threes they started packing the paint and looking for that pass off the weakside.

Manu and Parker watch film and hopefully Baynes will too so they work on their timing, spacing, and execution. We saw something similar with Splitter and those two when he first started getting regular minutes. That is not to say that Baynes will get to where Splitter is with them now but rather that it is a progression. This is the 11th game of Baynes getting regular rotation minutes.

He is quick and decisive and doesn't sit on the ball. He is doing a much better job off the ball and no longer wanders around mindlessly setting screens and fucking up spacing.

He was battling Varejao, Thompson and Love while Green, Diaw, and Manu were able to board very well off of it.

The only foul I didn't like was him letting Varegao get inside of him on a pnr but Parker is in defensive cruise control and clear 'trail' position. Two of the fouls I thought were good contests with him in position jumping straight up. He was not running underneath or into people. These rotations too stand to get better.

Nonetheless, he was okay against a talented Cavaliers frontline. I thought we might see another Sacramento performance but he is getting better. Pop for now seems content to run with him and more rotation minutes will see better execution over time. It is just the nature of things.

z0sa
11-20-2014, 04:11 AM
Terrible take

BackHome
11-20-2014, 09:56 PM
I think Baynes just needs playing time and for Pop to let him go through some growing pains. You can tell when he is on the court that he is thinking way to much and just not letting the game come to him.

Biernutz
11-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Baynes plays mostly in the first half so no to get to many minutes on Boris and Tim. You don't see him
much in the 2nd half unless a big is in foul trouble or the game is out of reach.....He is still
needing experience so you probably wont see him in crunch time at the end of the game.

exstatic
11-22-2014, 10:10 PM
DOINK!

wildbill2u
11-22-2014, 11:09 PM
For a fourth big Baynes is rebounding well and keeping the ball in play or tipping the ball out to a teammate a lot when he doesn't get the ball. And he's definitely handing out a few bruises on both offense and defense. He laid out one net that stood in front of him on a drive and still made the shot.

Shouldn't we be happy with 10 pts and 8 rebounds and a blk in 20 minutes from this guy?

100%duncan
11-22-2014, 11:09 PM
DOINK!

Why? He's played a lot better than the whole playing time of errors and clank daye in their careers :lol

TheGreatYacht
11-22-2014, 11:12 PM
What Baynes did with the Australian national team, there is no way in hell that Jeff Ayres can replicate that if they were to switch places. Just look at Ayres during summer league. End of discussion. Baynes > Errors... I don't care what the stats say.

100%duncan
11-22-2014, 11:14 PM
What Baynes did with the Australian national team, there is no way in hell that Jeff Ayres can replicate that if they were to switch places. Just look at Ayres during summer league. End of discussion. Baynes > Errors... I don't care what the stats say.

The stats are even on Baynes' favor :lol

Ice009
11-22-2014, 11:15 PM
DOINK!

You're having another dig at Baynes?

TD 21
11-22-2014, 11:30 PM
How can it be relative? Having a prime big or an aging veteran doesnt change the importance of a 4th big to a team. It's objective.

You said Baynes should rebound at a high rate, Baynes is our 4th big. You said Baynes is not even good well because he's a 4th big, he was never meant to be good. In fact I challenge you to find a better 4th big in the league, and if you cant even name one then feel lucky that you have a starting big on a national team as your 4th big.

Errors was never considered respectable please. If that's respectable for you and stopping/banging with Howard in 13 or the portland series last playoffs arent then I dont know what to tell you anymore.

Also, you talk about debatability, well then let's make a poll here whether which player does spurs fans think is better errors or baynes. Im willing to bet all except you and exstatic feel the same.

I just explained how. It's common sense.

Again, I explained why I said that. That he's the fourth big the majority of the time is irrelevant. Almost every fourth big the league is clearly better than him. :lol It's Australia and they were missing Bogut. They're not terrible, but suffice it to say, they don't have the embarrassment of riches that the U.S. has.

Ayres had solid numbers two seasons ago and as such, there was reason to think he was on the verge of establishing himself as a fourth big. People keep pointing to two brief, respectable appearances by Baynes, as if they supersede the rest of his play.

Most Spurs fans, like every fan base, have little to no clue what they're talking about. The fact that Baynes is bizarrely beloved and Ayres is despised (despite the fact that there's little, if any, separating them) proves that.

100%duncan
11-22-2014, 11:34 PM
I just explained how. It's common sense.

Again, I explained why I said that. That he's the fourth big the majority of the time is irrelevant. Almost every fourth big the league is clearly better than him. :lol It's Australia and they were missing Bogut. They're not terrible, but suffice it to say, they don't have the embarrassment of riches that the U.S. has.

Ayres had solid numbers two seasons ago and as such, there was reason to think he was on the verge of establishing himself as a fourth big. People keep pointing to two brief, respectable appearances by Baynes, as if they supersede the rest of his play.

Most Spurs fans, like every fan base, have little to no clue what they're talking about. The fact that Baynes is bizarrely beloved and Ayres is despised (despite the fact that there's little, if any, separating them) proves that.

No it's not, I just explained that.

Really? Name a fourth big better, go.

Ok so we're dumb and you're the smartest one here.

Look at Baynes' stats this season and find a better 4th/5th big. If you can't then don't even reply here with a "you don't know what you're talking about" bullshit. :bobo

100%duncan
11-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Main problem with Spurs fans is that they expect that every man, even the 15th man, will produce as much as what a starter is producing for other teams. Can't appreciate stuff like having a cheap, solid young guy that won't be afraid of anyone when you throw him out there to play.

I guess this is one of the most spoiled fan bases after all, I mean calling them gutless worms after 4 rings. Fitting, right?

TD 21
11-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Main problem with Spurs fans is that they expect that every man, even the 15th man, will produce as much as what a starter is producing for other teams. Can't appreciate stuff like having a cheap, solid young guy that won't be afraid of anyone when you throw him out there to play.

I guess this is one of the most spoiled fan bases after all, I mean calling them gutless worms after 4 rings. Fitting, right?

I don't know why novice fans like you think that if they keep repeating this, it makes it true. Nobody with an ounce of knowledge expects that. What we expect is a credible fourth big; preferably one that could credibly play both big positions on both ends, so that they wouldn't have three centers in their rotation. This is why it's unfortunate that Ayres hasn't panned out, because if he were what he was supposed to be, he'd have actually been an ideal fourth big.

100%duncan
11-23-2014, 12:09 AM
"Novice fans"

I'd rather be a novice fan than a "fan" that calls out his supposed to be loved team gutless worms. :lol

Are you the kind of person who calls out someone for being a kid? Or for being a newcomer when arguments don't go your way? Or you are simply an old bitter individual?

ViceCity86
11-23-2014, 12:12 AM
The more I watch Baynes,more I feel he's an nba player.
He's the 4th big on back 2 back championship teams.

tim_duncan_fan
11-23-2014, 12:34 AM
THE FIRE RISES!

Nero5
11-23-2014, 04:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mhZ__SYF_0

mkurts
11-23-2014, 09:22 AM
He played better than Daye and is actually useful somewhat

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2014, 10:24 AM

+1

BackHome
11-23-2014, 11:44 AM
My faith was never caught half stepping and from the Throne of Banger I know that the heretics and apostate have tormented the faithful for far too long; they do not merit the grace of Baynes. Res sacrĉ, ritus, communio, crypta, potestas, prĉdia sacra, forum, civilia jura vetantur shall terminate forthwith. I declare exstatic (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=20), Mel_13 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6168), TD 21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17781), spurraider21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=31905), cd021 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=36264) excommunicate from the Holy Banger. Gone are they forever from the grace of Baynes. May they receive that which they deserve. - FuzzyLumpkins- AKA - The Boognish.....

BOHOLANO#21
11-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Fuck this Big Banger haters. Baynes is the way better than Ayers and I'm glad Coach Pop finally realized that this season. Baynes getting the regular minutes now will get the painful progression in a very complicated system that Tiago endured before that this stupid posters here undoubtedly tag Tiago suck before and throwing the same shit now to Baynes.

DesignatedT
11-23-2014, 01:04 PM
He's much better than Ayres. Not even close.

wildbill2u
11-23-2014, 01:22 PM
the final arbiter is the guy in the white beard on the bench. I thought it was noteworthy that when TD went out, he let Baynes play with the rest of the starters. Pop is giving Baynes more minutes (20 last nite) and the kid is responding well enough to move ahead of both Bonner and Ayers when we need an inside presence. And he is producing.

Not bad, Kid. Keep it up. Start pushing for Tiago's spot and the team will be better for it.

jermaine
11-23-2014, 01:29 PM
People just running into Baynes picks are a biiig plus. To have to keep running into him gotta be hell.

jeebus
11-23-2014, 01:31 PM
If all he did was just set picks and not even run back to play defense, he'd still be better than Errors.

EVAY
11-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Baynes has definitely improved since the beginning of the season.

I agree that he is better than Ayres in most respects, primarily, as others have noted here, just by being such an enormous body for other teams' defenders to run into.

His rebounding seems to be improving.

His fouls are improving also, and some of the foul calls he gets called on him are because he is a newbie and has no respect from the refs. Remember when Splitter was getting fouls called all the time in the first couple of years (on the relatively rare occasions that Pop let him play at all)? Last year it was a lot fewer. I'm not comparing Baynes to Splitter because Baynes will never have the talent level that Splitter has (you can't teach that), but for he talent that he does have, and for the physical attributes that he brings, he is better than Ayres and is improving. That has to count these days.

I can't help but feel for the guy because he is clearly trying to so hard, and when he makes the bone-headed plays that he does, he is clearly embarrassed and tries to do better. The more he gets to play, the better and more comfortable he gets, imo.

ceperez
11-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Fuck this Big Banger haters. Baynes is the way better than Ayers and I'm glad Coach Pop finally realized that this season. Baynes getting the regular minutes now will get the painful progression in a very complicated system that Tiago endured before that this stupid posters here undoubtedly tag Tiago suck before and throwing the same shit now to Baynes.

Agree. To many haters here.

Baynes is a serviceable big. Just too bad the Spurs didn't sign him up longer term.

UZER
11-23-2014, 05:27 PM
The problem is there is no middle ground on this site Most of us know who baynes is and what his ceiling is. I was calling for him to play over Ayers all last season.

Asking for him to be tougher around the rim does not equal asking him to be the next Tim Duncan, nor does it keep me from seeing and understanding all the good he actually does on the court as a "4th big".

People always go to extremes with categorizing fans so they can feel so much smarter about themselves.

tholdren
11-23-2014, 06:23 PM
+1
WHO IS YOUR AVATAR?

littlecoyotecoin
11-23-2014, 06:35 PM

It's not ok except when it's Daye or Ayres, it's ok to malign THEM, just not your homie, Aron, right?

Put me on the list of people that don't think Baynes is all that. Glad he came back on the cheap. Better than Ayres in some regards, not others. Better hands, for example. But, of two people most closely interchangeable, it's those two. Baynes a smidge taller and heavier, so if I had to pick one of the two, I would pick Baynes. Not based on any skill, but just a slight win in the genetic lottery that gives him an extra inch or two and 20 pounds. If Ayres was Baynes' size, Baynes may never have gotten any playing time.

100%duncan
11-23-2014, 06:37 PM
It's not ok except when it's Daye or Ayres, it's ok to malign THEM, just not your homie, Aron, right?

Put me on the list of people that don't think Baynes is all that. Glad he came back on the cheap. Better than Ayres in some regards, not others. Better hands, for example. But, of two people most closely interchangeable, it's those two. Baynes a smidge taller and heavier, so if I had to pick one of the two, I would pick Baynes. Not based on any skill, but just a slight win in the genetic lottery that gives him an extra inch or two and 20 pounds. If Ayres was Baynes' size, Baynes may never have gotten any playing time.

No look at the post of TD21. It's all in context. He was looking for an elite player who can play fourth big when in fact there's none. You keep on misunderstanding, I see.

spurraider21
11-23-2014, 06:45 PM
My faith was never caught half stepping and from the Throne of Banger I know that the heretics and apostate have tormented the faithful for far too long; they do not merit the grace of Baynes. Res sacrĉ, ritus, communio, crypta, potestas, prĉdia sacra, forum, civilia jura vetantur shall terminate forthwith. I declare exstatic (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=20), Mel_13 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6168), TD 21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17781), spurraider21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=31905), cd021 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=36264) excommunicate from the Holy Banger. Gone are they forever from the grace of Baynes. May they receive that which they deserve. - FuzzyLumpkins- AKA - The Boognish.....
:lol why would i be included here? i recall generally being high on baynes

littlecoyotecoin
11-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Main problem with Spurs fans is that they expect that every man, even the 15th man, will produce as much as what a starter is producing for other teams. Can't appreciate stuff like having a cheap, solid young guy that...

I understood that perfectly...and it could be said of either Daye or Ayres with regard to your comments about them. Each making less than Baynes, younger than Baynes, etc...and not everyone agrees they are as bad as your maligning of both has been. Pot, kettle. Your affinity for old man Baynes doesn't make him any better than he is.

100%duncan
11-23-2014, 06:50 PM
I understood that perfectly...and it could be said of either Daye or Ayres with regard to your comments about them. Each making less than Baynes, younger than Baynes, etc...and not everyone agrees they are as bad as your maligning of both has been. Pot, kettle. Your affinity for old man Baynes doesn't make him any better than he is.

No.Read my first reply for TD21 in the earlier pages. Sheesh do I have to explain everything?

littlecoyotecoin
11-23-2014, 06:51 PM
WHO IS YOUR AVATAR?

I know, right? Alas, a lass he doesn't know, just some random at a bar.

littlecoyotecoin
11-23-2014, 06:55 PM
No.Read my first reply for TD21 in the earlier pages. Sheesh do I have to explain everything?

That quote stands fine for my point, in conjunction with your constant criticism of Daye and Ayres. The rest of the conversation is not relevant to my point. I think you misunderstood me. And, you're sounding a little uppity, didn't you just chide someone else for looking down their nose at you?

100%duncan
11-23-2014, 06:56 PM
That quote stands fine for my point, in conjunction with your constant criticism of Daye and Ayres. The rest of the conversation is not relevant to my point. I think you misunderstood me. And, you're sounding a little uppity, didn't you just chide someone else for looking down their nose at you?

What? I don't expect Daye or Errors to do something significant. I haven't been on their boats from their start. While he's expecting a 4th big to rebound at a high rate and guard top tier bigs. So how is it the same for me?

That tends to happen early in the morning(here now) and when someone refuses to read the whole conversation in a thread.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-23-2014, 06:56 PM
:lol why would i be included here? i recall generally being high on baynes

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

SHUN THE NONBELIEVER!!!

littlecoyotecoin
11-23-2014, 07:40 PM
What? I don't expect Daye or Errors to do something significant. I haven't been on their boats from their start. While he's expecting a 4th big to rebound at a high rate and guard top tier bigs. So how is it the same for me?

That tends to happen early in the morning(here now) and when someone refuses to read the whole conversation in a thread.

Um, yes, you do have high expectations for the 15th guy on the bench. That's the point. You're critical of Daye as if he's NOT the 15th guy on the bench. That's the disconnect. And, I did read the whole thread. Every post. I don't have to argue every point with you, though.

I really don't care about either of those two guys. They're both nothing special. Mostly low-skilled bruisers, which any team needs, but not all that interesting. Daye will cease to be interesting after this year, as well, unless he corrects his current trajectory. All three of them, including Baynes, are expendable next year, if necessary. That's why they were even willing to let him dangle in the wind this off-season. He may be a little better than Ayres, but not much.

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2014, 08:14 PM
I know, right? Alas, a lass he doesn't know, just some random at a bar.

+1

100%duncan
11-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Um, yes, you do have high expectations for the 15th guy on the bench. That's the point. You're critical of Daye as if he's NOT the 15th guy on the bench. That's the disconnect. And, I did read the whole thread. Every post. I don't have to argue every point with you, though.

I really don't care about either of those two guys. They're both nothing special. Mostly low-skilled bruisers, which any team needs, but not all that interesting. Daye will cease to be interesting after this year, as well, unless he corrects his current trajectory. All three of them, including Baynes, are expendable next year, if necessary. That's why they were even willing to let him dangle in the wind this off-season. He may be a little better than Ayres, but not much.

I dont expect daye to shoot like mills or for errors to play like cousins. As a fan, I expect daye to atleast hit a fuckin 3 instead of bricking every god damn open look he gets. I expect errors to atleast not fuck up every possible assist since I seem to catch a ball better than him. On the other hand some posters expect Baynes to be an elite rebounder and a prime time big man defender, THEY ARE EXPECTING that from a 4th big.

And Idgaf who cares about who tbh that's beyond the point.

Chinook
11-23-2014, 09:38 PM
I do think he's being compensated fairly now, rather than being underpaid like every other member of the Spurs' rotation is. The team should look to upgrade in the off-season, but I wouldn't hate him sticking around for a room-exception deal if the team can use their cap space to bring in two good free agents.

littlecoyotecoin
11-23-2014, 10:15 PM
I dont expect daye to shoot like mills or for errors to play like cousins. As a fan, I expect daye to atleast hit a fuckin 3 instead of bricking every god damn open look he gets. I expect errors to atleast not fuck up every possible assist since I seem to catch a ball better than him. On the other hand some posters expect Baynes to be an elite rebounder and a prime time big man defender, THEY ARE EXPECTING that from a 4th big.

And Idgaf who cares about who tbh that's beyond the point.

You, like many, exaggerate and hyperbolize.

100%duncan
11-23-2014, 10:17 PM
You, like many, exaggerate and hyperbolize.

And you don't know how to comprehend. I don't know how to explain it more so have fun with your ideas :bobo

DesignatedT
12-01-2014, 08:05 PM
:tu

tim_duncan_fan
12-01-2014, 09:15 PM
My nigguh Baynes!

The fire rises!

BackHome
12-01-2014, 10:07 PM
I do think he's being compensated fairly now, rather than being underpaid like every other member of the Spurs' rotation is. The team should look to upgrade in the off-season, but I wouldn't hate him sticking around for a room-exception deal if the team can use their cap space to bring in two good free agents.

I agree as far as talent I think we can easily upgrade over Errors and Daye that gives us two players probably Livio and Bertrans. Also CoJo will probably be traded or sign with another team that gives us three new players. I pray that Tony and Timmy decide to play one more year though.....

look_at_g_shred
12-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I agree as far as talent I think we can easily upgrade over Errors and Daye that gives us two players probably Livio and Bertrans. Also CoJo will probably be traded or sign with another team that gives us three new players. I pray that Tony and Timmy decide to play one more year though.....
Manu and Timmy?