PDA

View Full Version : Should Tony call his own number a little more?

ElNono
11-16-2014, 03:47 AM
He only has 13 FGA per game, pretty low compared to other stars in the league (Griffin 19, Harden 18, LMA 18, Curry 17, etc), and he's shooting at a blistering 52% overall, league best 66% from 3...

Should he be a little more selfish and call his own number a little more often, especially now that we're missing some offense guys?

ElNono
11-16-2014, 03:48 AM
tbh

spurraider21
11-16-2014, 03:49 AM
im fine with tony being aggressive. i dont like when he just takes a long 2 pointer off a pick and roll... unless its late in the clock. u can get that shot literally anytime you want, and there are too many times i see him settle for that with 10-11 seconds or more left.

i miss the TP that would be among the NBA leaders in points in the paint...

hyhy
11-16-2014, 07:31 AM
im fine with tony being aggressive. i dont like when he just takes a long 2 pointer off a pick and roll... unless its late in the clock. u can get that shot literally anytime you want, and there are too many times i see him settle for that with 10-11 seconds or more left.

i miss the TP that would be among the NBA leaders in points in the paint...
Yup I would rather he try a floater in the lane rather than shooting a long two

quentin_compson
11-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Maybe TP is a little unsure about his role in the offense right now. It's pretty obvious that the Spurs are trying to get Kawhi a bigger role offensively. So there seem to be quite a number of possessions where Tony kind of takes a back seat. I agree with those who say that you don't want Parker to lose his aggressive mindset though - at least not in the grand scheme of things; it's not that alarming if he has a couple of low key games in November.

100%duncan
11-16-2014, 08:04 AM
he needs to pass to kawhi every time

Diego20
11-16-2014, 09:49 AM
More than he's already doing? wtf

EVAY
11-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Maybe TP is a little unsure about his role in the offense right now. It's pretty obvious that the Spurs are trying to get Kawhi a bigger role offensively. So there seem to be quite a number of possessions where Tony kind of takes a back seat. I agree with those who say that you don't want Parker to lose his aggressive mindset though - at least not in the grand scheme of things; it's not that alarming if he has a couple of low key games in November.

this is what it looks like to me. It will take some time for all of the starters to adjust to play calling that focuses on someone other than the Duncan/Parker p and r. Ginobili has always been able to create his own shot. Kawhi looks like he needs the plays called for him a bit more, or else he gets the ball and tries a one-on-one that kind of has the other offensive players being unsure what to do or where to go on the court. Everyone is accustomed to the four down play, but a three down is a new one.

superbigtime
11-16-2014, 10:49 AM
He absolutely should. He's a badass.

Baam
11-16-2014, 11:01 AM
No but then again if shots taken from him are replaced with Duncan post ups then the ball movement is not any better...

Imo if he takes more shots it should be 3s...

100%duncan
11-16-2014, 11:11 AM
No but then again if shots taken from him are replaced with Duncan post ups then the ball movement is not any better...

Imo if he takes more shots it should be 3s...

This but obviously not iso-3's but rather corner, wing shots.

chasky
11-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Tony is calling his own number as always, but he lost some speed from two years ago, so the ways to the basket are closing. The same thing with fast breaks.

apalisoc_9
11-16-2014, 12:34 PM
His calling his own number..The problem really is his speed, many times he finds himself passing the ball to Duxan or outside mainly because the defense has caught up to him and he has no choice.

Honestly, I'd want him to shoot the jumpers or drive instead of a duncan post up..right now that's a lot better of an option. Duncan is stagnating the offense the last three games.

EVAY
11-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I am beginning to think that Pop has decided to let Duncan and Ginobili play as often as they like, as many minutes as they like, and let each of them call whatever play they want to make in what he figures to be their last season. I can just picture this conversation occurring after Manu and Timmy sat out that game and Tim went to Pop and said "Pop, there is no point in 'saving me' for another year or 'extending my career' any more. My career has been extended. Let me play out this season as much as I want and play as often as I want and let me play the way I want to play." That conversation would never have occurred with Manu because he doesn't ask Pop's permission for much of anything.

Nonetheless, in that scenario, both Tim and Manu play on back-to backs, they play more minutes in the games than they have in recent years, and they get to make the play calls for themselves whenever they want to. And Pop has told Tony to let that happen. So Tony backs off to let Kawhi get some iso plays, to let Tim get his 4-down plays, and to let Manu be Manu. It reduces TP's role, but everybody gets what they want. Because Tim and Manu deserve to go out playing like they want to, and Kawhi needs to develop his own leadership on the team...and it is really going to wreak havoc with the offense for a while...maybe all season. I wonder how long Pop will be able to stand it. Kind of interesting to watch though.

Or it may all go back the way it was it Tiago and Marco and Patty all start playing again.:lol

Bambililos
11-16-2014, 07:00 PM
I am beginning to think that Pop has decided to let Duncan and Ginobili play as often as they like, as many minutes as they like, and let each of them call whatever play they want to make in what he figures to be their last season. I can just picture this conversation occurring after Manu and Timmy sat out that game and Tim went to Pop and said "Pop, there is no point in 'saving me' for another year or 'extending my career' any more. My career has been extended. Let me play out this season as much as I want and play as often as I want and let me play the way I want to play." That conversation would never have occurred with Manu because he doesn't ask Pop's permission for much of anything.

Nonetheless, in that scenario, both Tim and Manu play on back-to backs, they play more minutes in the games than they have in recent years, and they get to make the play calls for themselves whenever they want to. And Pop has told Tony to let that happen. So Tony backs off to let Kawhi get some iso plays, to let Tim get his 4-down plays, and to let Manu be Manu. It reduces TP's role, but everybody gets what they want. Because Tim and Manu deserve to go out playing like they want to, and Kawhi needs to develop his own leadership on the team...and it is really going to wreak havoc with the offense for a while...maybe all season. I wonder how long Pop will be able to stand it. Kind of interesting to watch though.

Or it may all go back the way it was it Tiago and Marco and Patty all start playing again.:lol
I always thought the main reason to rest players during the season was to avoid injuries and have them fresh for the playoffs. As the goal this year, like every year (but pretty realistic this time), is to win the championship, it makes no sense to wear and tear our 2 aging stars, and I suppose they know it.

spurman123
11-16-2014, 10:21 PM
last year, he had his number called usually to close out each qrter. Also, sometimes when we were behind or the offense was having problems he would take for for about 5 straight possessions and go on his personal run. I think we will see something similar to that again this year as the season progresses. Unless of course, his age is affecting his speed already.

TD 21
11-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Definitely. Especially in the second game of back-to-backs. With the injuries decimating their depth/firepower, they need him in attack mode from the jump in these games and instead he's coming out passive. I don't know whether he's pacing himself (I doubt it, since it's not as if he's taking over 4th quarters), intentionally trying to scale back some so that Leonard can expand his game or what, but something seems off.

That's the only reason I still hesitate to say with certainty that he's clearly past his prime, though admittedly it's becoming more difficult to refute that.

rasuo214
11-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Last season he had 13.4 FGA per game, this year he has 13.3 FGA per game. Parker taking shots isn't a problem, hogging the ball the entire possession trying to get that shot can become problematic. Good when he's in a rhythm not so much when he isn't.

hyhy
11-17-2014, 12:29 AM
calling his number by making him run through off-ball screens like the loop, motion weak and motion strong is good.
calling his own number by just doing pick and roll with duncan at the side for 20secs is bad.

ElNono
11-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Last season he had 13.4 FGA per game, this year he has 13.3 FGA per game. Parker taking shots isn't a problem, hogging the ball the entire possession trying to get that shot can become problematic. Good when he's in a rhythm not so much when he isn't.

last season we were mostly healthy though... but why not ride the hot hand when we're missing a couple of scorers?

rasuo214
11-17-2014, 02:39 AM
last season we were mostly healthy though... but why not ride the hot hand when we're missing a couple of scorers?

I agree that he should take more shots since he is being efficient but he should still do it within the offense so the other guys can stay/get in rhythm. The last thing we want is him going Kobe. Obviously if other guys are contributing or have a hot hand there isn't as much need for it, but last night maybe they would have done better if Parker was more aggressive. It's a tough balance because I know they want to give Kawhi more of the offensive load but I'm sure as the season progresses they'll find a good balance.

Ice009
11-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Do you really believe what you've said here?

You do know what the point is of resting them, don't you?

EVAY
11-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Do you really believe what you've said here?

You do know what the point is of resting them, don't you?

Hey, chill out! I didn't remember to out it in blue font so I added a LOL at the end to indicate that I was joking.

Yes, I do understand the reasons why Pop rests them. I even included one of them in the body of the text.

Leetonidas
11-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Only 13 FGA? B-b-b-but I thought :cry Enrique was a ball hog who shot too much and never passed to his teammates :cry

Leetonidas
11-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Oh wait apparently he's Jose Calderon and dribbles for 22 seconds before doing something right before the shot clock expires :lol

Brazil
11-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Only 13 FGA? B-b-b-but I thought :cry Enrique was a ball hog who shot too much and never passed to his teammates :cry

go figure :lol

seriously tho yes he could be a bit more aggressive tbh...

thinking this season shooting .52 he is not the best French NBA scorer :lol

Evan Fournier is having 17,6 ppg vs. 17,3 for Parker :lol

Dex
11-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Oh wait apparently he's Jose Calderon and dribbles for 22 seconds before doing something right before the shot clock expires :lol

To be fair, this is the most effective way to avoid passing to Kawhi or Manu.

wildchild
11-17-2014, 11:14 AM
He only has 13 FGA per game, pretty low compared to other stars in the league (Griffin 19, Harden 18, LMA 18, Curry 17, etc), and he's shooting at a blistering 52% overall, league best 66% from 3...

Should he be a little more selfish and call his own number a little more often, especially now that we're missing some offense guys?

I don't think the Spurs offense -running with three stars and a kid to develop- allow to have one player 18/20 FGA.
We don't need the Harden-centric offense which never works in the long term.

The offense seemed distributed equitably in the 4 games of West Coast road trip. Shots per game: Tony Parker-Kawhi 12.8 each, Manu 12.3, Duncan 11.5.

Spur-Addict
11-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Wondering how if that'll hold up with Victor O back in the fold. He's had two games of solid performance with O there, but I'm not certain. His shooting percentage has hit a snag.

lefty
11-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Evan Fournier is half Algerian tbh :D

jag
11-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Nono with the subtle goods

ElNono
11-17-2014, 01:44 PM

:lol.......

Bambililos
11-17-2014, 01:57 PM

So what?

Brazil
11-17-2014, 02:08 PM

true

that's why he is a chucker :lol

he is playing great with this Orlando team 35 mn a game, best % of 3s of the league... hope he will keep up

Brazil
11-17-2014, 02:11 PM

nothing new tbh...

but he has a point tho :lol we need more aggressivity from Parker untill everybody is back and 3s are falling

TheGreatYacht
11-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Bonner - 9 shots
Green - 9 shots
Baynes - 8 shots
Joseph - 8 shots
Kawhi - 7 shots
Duncan - 7 shots
Diaw - 5 shots
Daye - 5 shots
Anderson - 5 shots
Parker - 4 shots (led team in assists, AGAIN)

MVParker