PDA

View Full Version : David Lynch

AussieFanKurt
11-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Do you like his surrealist films? Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr... etc

I've watched them all again recently hoping to make more sense of them but hasn't worked really

benefactor
11-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Blue Velvet is GOAT tbh

Jacob1983
11-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Mulholland Drive is very overrated.

AussieFanKurt
11-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Mulholland Drive is very overrated.

Go on

Jacob1983
11-16-2014, 11:50 PM
I think the movie is overrated but I can admit that ending is very trippy and disturbing. When I say overrated, I mean that it wasn't worthy of the Oscar nominations it received. The acting is average, the storyline is too complex, and the movie is very slow.

AussieFanKurt
11-17-2014, 12:55 AM
I think the movie is overrated but I can admit that ending is very trippy and disturbing. When I say overrated, I mean that it wasn't worthy of the Oscar nominations it received. The acting is average, the storyline is too complex, and the movie is very slow.

Have you seen much Lynch other than this

Avante
11-17-2014, 01:28 AM
One of my best friends is a David Lynch fan/freak, he has all his movies. I've seen Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive.

Erasehead....big mistake watching it straight.

Blue Velvet....interesting.

Mulholland Drive...I need to watch it again, I think I must have missed something.

The Reckoning
11-17-2014, 03:22 AM
elephant man is pretty good.

dune was an abortion...

CitizenDwayne
11-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Eraserhead - 5/10 (Historically very important, but not the most entertaining movie in the world. Very slow. Amateurish acting from most of the supporting cast)

The Elephant Man - 8/10

Dune - 6/10 (I like this movie more than most people it seems, but it's still highly flawed and not nearly the film adaptation Herbert's novel deserved.)

Blue Velvet - 10/10

Wild at Heart - 4/10 (Felt like a shitty version of Natural Born Killers. Not a fan.)

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - ?/10 (I'm still unsure on this one. I enjoyed it, but it doesn't really add anything to the series, and left me with more questions than answers.)

Lost Highway - 9/10 (Great score, creepy as hell performance from Robert Blake. Love this one.)

The Straight Story - 8/10

Mulholland Drive - 10/10 (Anyone saying this is overrated needs to rewatch it imo.)

Inland Empire - 5/10 (This is one of the ugliest-looking movies I've ever seen. The plot started off interesting, but the "home video" look of the film turned me off, and the movie soon disappears up its own ass. Lynch trying to a bit too hard on this one.)

Dirk Oneanddoneski
11-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Eraserhead - 5/10 (Historically very important, but not the most entertaining movie in the world. Very slow. Amateurish acting from most

Wild at Heart - 4/10 (Felt like a shitty version of Natural Born Killers. Not a fan.)

How can you not be a fan of this?

LUtn7e05C8M

AussieFanKurt
11-17-2014, 09:12 PM
:lol Wild at Heart just felt like Lynch parodying the south

mojorizen7
11-17-2014, 09:50 PM
My first Lynch viewing was Mullholland drive. Was all fucked up high. I just went with it. Went back to watch it again sober and just went with it again.
I like Blue Velvet more though.

CitizenDwayne
11-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Dafoe is entertaining. Standout in a movie that otherwise didn't have much to offer

AussieFanKurt
11-17-2014, 10:48 PM
I like Lost Highway the best and then probably Twin Peaks

CitizenDwayne
11-18-2014, 12:43 AM
I like Lost Highway the best and then probably Twin Peaks

What especially did you like about Twin Peaks, and are you a fan of the series also?

Just wondering because I find it a very hard movie to get into, although I really enjoy several aspects of it.

AussieFanKurt
11-18-2014, 12:47 AM
I mean the series. I actually haven't seen the film. This is my first time watching Twin Peaks.. I'm about 20 episodes down

AussieFanKurt
11-18-2014, 12:49 AM
I guess I just liked the quirky surreal take on the murder mystery tbh to put it simply

CitizenDwayne
11-18-2014, 12:55 AM
Oh ok. Yeah the show is phenomenal imo. Thought you were referring to the movie, which takes things in a slightly different direction.

AussieFanKurt
11-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Oh ok. Yeah the show is phenomenal imo. Thought you were referring to the movie, which takes things in a slightly different direction.

Yeah all I know is its a prequel to the show and was only made because so many fans requested it :lol I'll post after watching

gameFACE
11-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Do you like his surrealist films? Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr... etc

I've watched them all again recently hoping to make more sense of them but hasn't worked really

Well, that's the problem, AFK. Don't try to make sense of them and you're better off. My rankings:

1. Blue Velvet (hands down his best)
2. Eraserhead
3. Lost Highway
4. The Elephant Man
5. Twin Peaks
6. Mulholland Dr
7. Inland Empire

I actually think The Straight Story is his second best film but I wouldn't consider it surreal. Still, David Lynch making a G rated Disney film? That's pretty impressive all by itself. Can't wait for the new Twin Peaks series on Showtime.

AussieFanKurt
11-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Well, that's the problem, AFK. Don't try to make sense of them and you're better off.

Yeah I've realised that the second time round :lol still enjoy the films though

SnakeBoy
11-19-2014, 01:50 PM
The only movie of his that I really like is Dune...it's so bad it's good.

ohmwrecker
11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
1. Blue Velvet (first Lynch movie I ever saw, blown away, still the best)
2. Twin Peaks (series) (best TV show of the 90s)
3. Mulholland Drive (fantastic, great spin on a genre)
4. The Elephant Man (beautiful film, moving, John Hurt was amazing)
5. Lost Highway (a little choppy, great soundtrack)
6. Wild At Heart (over the top performances, great dialogue)
7. Dune (disappointing and fantastic at the same time, didn't get to make the film he wanted)
(side note to Dune: If you haven't seen the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, do it. It's pretty wild.)
8. Inland Empire (only saw it once, slow, had a hard time staying interested)
9. Eraserhead (just so fucking weird)
10. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (terrible)

AussieFanKurt
11-19-2014, 03:07 PM
http://s9.postimg.org/ggersj7sf/Screen_Shot_2014_11_06_at_10_53_28_PM.png

"COOP, ITS GORDON! GORDON COLE!"