PDA

View Full Version : Bulls: Horace Grant and BJ Armstrong

lefty
11-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Underrated players or system players who benefited from the triangle and playing with Pippen?

( Malik Hairston, don't pollute this thread :lol)

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Grant was legit. A prototypical 90s PF, who'd probably play C in today's NBA, but had a good midrange J.

Armstrong was a role player who had a few good seasons in the early 90s and even got to an All star game(?), but he benefitted from playing off Jordan and Pippen. He was a good quick defender on small PGs, but then that was the time of the likes of Muggsey Bogues ffs. Provided spacing in the times when averaging less than one 3 pointer per game @ .40 was considered a great shooter. Disappeared after Bulls's first 3peat.

StrengthAndHonor
11-18-2014, 10:08 AM
System playersa

hyhy
11-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Triangle is not really a system, more of principles.
Any players that played in it are not "system" players.

ambchang
11-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Grant was legit, he had a good rugged interior game, had a good jumper, can rebound and defend, and did quite well once he left Jordan and joined the Magic.

Armstrong was purely a one trick pony on offense, no dribble penetration to speak of, can make threes at a great rate, but that's about it, can't create for others. Too small to guard bigger guards, and too slow to guard quick ones, Armstrong was very much a liability on defense.

Killakobe81
11-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Grant was legit, he had a good rugged interior game, had a good jumper, can rebound and defend, and did quite well once he left Jordan and joined the Magic.

Armstrong was purely a one trick pony on offense, no dribble penetration to speak of, can make threes at a great rate, but that's about it, can't create for others. Too small to guard bigger guards, and too slow to guard quick ones, Armstrong was very much a liability on defense.

Agree with Amb. and if you could have seen Horace in college he was even better with more responsibility he was a beast ... I was a youngster but thought he was going to be even better than he was.

But dude was the perfect PF for MJ but for some reason the GOAT and horace's relationship soured (sound familiar) MJ almost never mentions him when he credits his former team-mates and Grant is one of the few Mj's former team-mates that doesn't cower in his memory. A very interesting story is there to be found I dont know if any former bulls fans (i bet there a bunch on here) that are not Mj worshipers know what led to that ...

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Agree with Amb. and if you could have seen Horace in college he was even better with more responsibility he was a beast ... I was a youngster but thought he was going to be even better than he was.

But dude was the perfect PF for MJ but for some reason the GOAT and horace's relationship soured (sound familiar) MJ almost never mentions him when he credits his former team-mates and Grant is one of the few Mj's former team-mates that doesn't cower in his memory. A very interesting story is there to be found I dont know if any former bulls fans (i bet there a bunch on here) that are not Mj worshipers know what led to that ...

I bet Bill Cartwright is up there too :lol

lefty
11-18-2014, 11:19 AM
I bet Bill Cartwright is up there too :lol
And MJ's dad

Phillip
11-18-2014, 11:45 AM

This.

Grant was a real solid, underrated player.

Armstrong was meh.

ambchang
11-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Grant clashed frequently with MJ, with MJ chastising him for no reason and made Grant his personal whipping boy. So Grant left for Orlando the first chance he got, and ironically, it was after MJ retired for the first time.

Pippen's Bulls could have made the finals with Grant in 94, not because Pippen was that good, just that the East was that weak.

baseline bum
11-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Grant even gave some good minutes in the TOSB stage of his career for the 01 Lakers, like when he embarrassed David Robinson in the third quarter of Game 2 of the 01 WCF.

baseline bum
11-18-2014, 01:10 PM

I loved Grant's 18 foot jumper.

lefty
11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Yes he was consistent from midrange; killed the Bulls with that 18 footer in 1995 when they double teamed Shaq