PDA

View Full Version : I had given up on Cory Joseph

Embedded
11-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Delighted I was proven DEAD WRONG. Hi transformation last summer is similar to Patty Mills' last summer. Amazing.

Budkin
11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Still can't get over him dunking over Ibaka. tbh that really lit a fire under our guys.

TheCerebral1
11-18-2014, 12:15 PM
He's still rubbish. He's the 16th man after the water boy.

capek
11-18-2014, 12:24 PM
He's really stepped up, it's great to see. His play has been really important for us weathering the storm of all these early season injuries. :tu

MarCowMar
11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
It's just really neat to see our players improve from year to year. It's usually not more than one improvement per season, but it's there. Bonner's floater, Danny's dribbling, Diaw's aggressiveness, Ayers catching the ball and making a wide open dunk, etc.

cd98
11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Kind of all depends on his shooting ability. That's the only that has held him back as he is a good defender and rebounder. It would also help if he improved his passing, but being on the floor at guard for the Spurs requires being able to shoot the outside shot.

gospursgojas
11-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Been most delighted with his defense. But his all around play has been a pleasant suprise as well. One of my fav spurs right now.

manu2timdynasty
11-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Your opinions are important.

Malice
11-18-2014, 01:40 PM
He's still rubbish. He's the 16th man after the water boy.

Please don't comment on things you obviously have no clue about just to be provocative. Thanks.

TheGreatYacht
11-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Mills still owns that backup PG spot though as soon as he comes back. No need to play a guy that might be gone this summer over a guy with a fresh contract.

ohmwrecker
11-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Mills still owns that backup PG spot though as soon as he comes back. No need to play a guy that might be gone this summer over a guy with a fresh contract.

CoJo will still get minutes when Patty comes back.

ElNono
11-18-2014, 04:51 PM
didn't like how he played last night, tbh... but we're short-handed... can't be too picky...

Raven
11-18-2014, 05:01 PM

i don't think mills has ever been a pg with the spurs tbh

ulosturedge
11-18-2014, 07:13 PM
He's stepped up and been the guy for the second unit. Taking it upon himself to be the play maker and scorer when it seemed like no one else on the floor was doing anything. I've seen that on several occasions this season. Yeah he's not a pure shooter like Patty and some of that shows, but he is showing some leadership out there. He's our best defender at the point guard position as well. I'm not sure why a handful of Spurs fans on this board like to hate on him. He's were I expect him to be in his development considering how little playing time he's got in his first 3 years here. Dude's been nothing but patient and it's nice to see him finally getting a chance to do something out there.

gnsf0946
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
he was solid 2 seasons ago...then playoffs came

spursparker9
11-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Contract year.

Old School 44
11-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Still not sold on Cory long term. Great insurance guard if Tony or Manu go down. He's doing a great job of holding down the fort with injuries to Mills and Belinelli, but he just doesn't pass the eye test for me.

wildcardX
11-18-2014, 11:08 PM
I think Cory is doing a good job. I was thinking it would be him and/or Belinelli that would improve this year.

Darkwaters
11-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Might be a good time to sell high on Cory. Pushing him at the trade deadline might be lucrative. Especially with Patty expected back around then.

tim_duncan_fan
11-18-2014, 11:37 PM
I feel like I would just jinx him in being unequivocally positive about his recent play, so I'll just keep quietly waiting for him to fuck up and hope to be continually proven wrong.

wildchild
11-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Contract year.

CoJo/Beli/Kawhi/Danny contract year...I hope this works properly about motivation and doesn't become a lot of selfish guys trying to post their numbers to get a good contract.

cjw
11-19-2014, 02:21 AM
CoJo/Beli/Kawhi/Danny contract year...

I don't think Kawhi's dollar figure is really in question. Let's just pray nobody throws a ridiculous contract at Danny. In Cory's case, will be interesting to see if he can earn himself a deal with Mills' dollar figures, keeping in mind that Mills was had at a discount because of his injury.

spurraider21
11-19-2014, 02:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h5GHMeJZho

horsielove
11-19-2014, 08:49 PM
:lol

Uriel
11-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Cory Joseph is a baller. He's way too good to be a 3rd string PG. We could probably trade him at midseason when Mills comes back and get a quality 4th big / 1st round pick in return.

itzsoweezee
11-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Dude is legit. He is fearless taking it to the hole.

Uriel
11-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Might be a good time to sell high on Cory. Pushing him at the trade deadline might be lucrative. Especially with Patty expected back around then.
Agreed 100%, especially since his contract is expiring and we can't afford to pay both him and Mills at the same time. Do you think we can nab a 1st round pick / high-quality 4th big in return?

MI21
11-19-2014, 08:53 PM
His ball-handling has improved out of sight, I've seen more dribble moves from him this season in 10 games than in 3 years combined.

horsielove
11-19-2014, 08:54 PM
He's a very good defensive point.

hyhy
11-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Maybe parker should rest for a year too, seeing what happened to patty and cory after resting for a year

Malik Hairston
11-19-2014, 10:02 PM
I don't think he has actually improved any of his skills, they all look the same to me IMO, the difference is his confidence..

As I've repeated here for years, his lack of confidence and his fear of shooting/attacking was always killing his game/the offense..I don't know what happened during the Summer, but he has found an abundance of confidence from somewhere..

Ice009
11-19-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't think he has actually improved any of his skills, they all look the same to me IMO, the difference is his confidence..

As I've repeated here for years, his lack of confidence and his fear of shooting/attacking was always killing his game/the offense..I don't know what happened during the Summer, but he has found an abundance of confidence from somewhere..

Didn't you say that you've played against him before in a pickup game? And he was hitting shots from everywhere? It seems like a confidence thing. I think he's starting to get more comfortable playing out there on a regular basis.

Tuddy
11-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Handles look the same. Slight tweak just before his release on his jumper. But yeah, it's all confidence

mkurts
11-19-2014, 10:09 PM
He did well guarding Irving tonight, and actually made some perimeter shots unlike others

Malik Hairston
11-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Didn't you say that you've played against him before in a pickup game? And he was hitting shots from everywhere? It seems like a confidence thing. I think he's starting to get more comfortable playing out there on a regular basis.

I played against him in High School, but that has nothing to do with his confidence level, any NBA-level player is going to dominate against a HS team:lol..

mookie2001
11-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Best guard on the team.

DapDaGenius
11-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Cory Joseph is a baller. He's way too good to be a 3rd string PG. We could probably trade him at midseason when Mills comes back and get a quality 4th big / 1st round pick in return.

Who would you have in mind?

Uriel
11-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Who would you have in mind?
Don't really have any specific names in mind. But most anybody would be an upgrade over Baynes / Ayres, IMO. Though to his credit, the former has been steadily improving.

Uriel
11-19-2014, 10:41 PM
I played against him in High School, but that has nothing to do with his confidence level, any NBA-level player is going to dominate against a HS team:lol..
You must be a pretty good baller to be playing against NBA players. :lol

Malik Hairston
11-19-2014, 10:49 PM
You must be a pretty good baller to be playing against NBA players. :lol

I used to be, I was a starter for the CIS champions for 2 years(Canadian university ball) and could have been a bench warmer in D1, but that's not where I played against Joseph..we went to HS in the same area, so our High Schools played against each other in Provincials..

Uriel
11-19-2014, 10:56 PM
I used to be, I was a starter for the CIS champions for 2 years(Canadian university ball) and could have been a bench warmer in D1, but that's not where I played against Joseph..we went to HS in the same area, so our High Schools played against each other in Provincials..
So based on this, I take it you played for the Carleton Ravens?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._P._McGee_Trophy

Uriel
11-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Which means you're either Cole Hobins, or Elliott Thompson?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
I don't think Joseph is an overly talented distributor and is not a great decision maker. He tends to be pretty predictable on the court which I think contributes to our team's current lack of offensive punch. He's defending pretty well and can shoot reasonably well, but his role likely won't be any different than last year once Mills is back. Insert Joseph for Mills and we're not as good of a team.

objective
11-20-2014, 12:35 PM
He looks like he is in better shape. Maybe mills inspired him. I don't remember him ever looking this relatively fast.

100%duncan
11-20-2014, 12:37 PM

:lol :lol

Raven
11-20-2014, 12:45 PM

well that's some solid stalking right there :lol

ChumpDumper
11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
A little fluffy, but OK piece on Joseph's development:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2275308-san-antonio-spurs-showing-rest-of-league-exactly-how-to-use-nba-d-league?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_spurs&utm_source=twitter.com