PDA

View Full Version : Parker and 3 pts shooting

Brazil
11-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I was reading the French news sport L'equipe.fr and I saw they interviewed Chip regarding Parker's progress on the 3 pts shooting. Unfortunately this paying article is not available for me in Brazil.

If a French dude has it post it please

At first this year I was not convinced Parker shooting more 3s was delibirated or just dictated by events and the plays of this beginning of season. Looking for this article I found some quotes related to that after Dallas game.

from Parker himself: “I know I was struggling on my corner threes, but I kept working with (shooting coach) Chip (Engelland),” Parker said. “I kept working on it, and I was: It’s going to go in tonight.”

from Pop: “Chip Engelland works with him every day on it. He shoots those all the time. The corners are a place where he has gotten confident. I don’t want him being Chris Mullin, coming down in transition and shooting threes all night, but when the ball swings and he’s open like that we have confidence when he gets his feet set and shoots it. That’s Chip’s work.”

So it seems Parker and the Spurs plan to use more this weapon and Parker is dedicated to get better but as stated by Pop, objective is not to shoot 3s ala Steph Curry but for sure make the defense pay if leaving him too much open.

Again I will try to find the interview mentionned by the French site, they are saying it's a long interview... must be interesting

ElNono
11-18-2014, 06:00 PM
It's good to read he's been working to improve his game and make it look more like Patty Mills...

Ignignokt
11-18-2014, 06:01 PM
TDMVPDOY GTFIH!!

mkurts
11-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Parker is aging and has lost some explosiveness much like Manu,
so the outcome is the same, more jumpers and 3pt shots, less drives to the basket.

apalisoc_9
11-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Gotta learn to play with kawhi as the first option tbh............

Mikeanaro
11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
He is getting better and better at the 3pt shoot which is great.

EVAY
11-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Parker is aging and has lost some explosiveness much like Manu,
so the outcome is the same, more jumpers and 3pt shots, less drives to the basket.

Plus, I really do believe that in these early days they are, as a team, trying on some new 'looks'. Glad to see that Parker can make the three's, but he is certainly not a natural at it.
Whenever he takes one he has to get the ball, take a deep breath, size up the situation, and then shoot. Looks more like Bonner than Manu or Marco, tbh. But as long as the defenses leave him open for him and he takes them and makes them, great for us!

In other words, no one will ever accuse him of being a quick-release artist, but as long as he sinks them when we need them, we'll take it.

jag
11-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm impressed with how humble Tony is. After all these years he's still willing to spend time working with Chip to improve his game. He wasn't willing to allow himself to become a sub-30% 3-pt shooter going into his twilight years.

thiste
11-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Jumpers and threes are the weapon of the aging PG.

Leave it to Pop to take frigging Chris Mullin as his example for a good 3pt shooter. Classic!

spurraider21
11-18-2014, 08:58 PM
It's good to read he's been working to improve his game and make it look more like Patty Mills...
fify

ElNono
11-18-2014, 10:07 PM
fify

:lol

gilmor2002
11-18-2014, 11:52 PM
:lol

I think make Parker more like Manu of old..

milkyway21
11-19-2014, 04:26 AM
:tu To Parker's 67.7% accuracy from the 3pt - line. He does not shoot 3s that much but that's a lot of improvement.

MI21
11-19-2014, 05:34 AM
It's at that stage where every single time he takes a baseline 3, I expect it to drop. Who would of thought anything in Tony's game would ever resemble anything from this guys...

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/1867359-bruce-bowen-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-shoots-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=Ihcvq0jG2%2F03oK0YAAoNYkMysV4eoRH9RNarpBYk1fo%3D

TheGreatYacht
11-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Just swished a 3ptr from half court but refs waived it off :(

milkyway21
11-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Just swished a 3ptr from half court but refs waived it off :(

:flag:

Johnny RIngo
11-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Should have worked on improving the rest of his game as well. The only thing he's doing well now is shooting threes.