PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis or Exploding Head Syndrome

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Anyone experience this or go through either ever? Not fun.

RD2191
11-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Sleep Paralysis is fucking nuts. Pretty sure I was going to die when it would happen to me. Panicking made it so much worse.

HI-FI
11-19-2014, 01:31 AM
I had sleep paralysis for awhile, especially when I was having bad sleep apnea.

A couple years ago, I fell asleep and sort of dreamt/hallucinated that a group of hooded people were standing over me in my bed, about to get me. So half asleep I fucking jumped out of the bed and awoke to find myself standing in the hallway with the doorknob in my hands, ripped it right off.

I never had my head explode though, so can't comment on that.

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2014, 01:40 AM
I hadn't had it in years, but had it happen last night. Like I said, not fun.

I woke up and there was a dark malevolent feeling figure standing over my bed holding my down and I couldn't move or make a sound. Loud buzzing noise and my dog was growling..

Eventually moved my finger and faded out of it, but didn't sleep well the rest of the night. Sleep apnea and sleeping on your back def do not help.

RD2191
11-19-2014, 01:50 AM

I woke up and there was a dark malevolent feeling figure standing over my bed holding my down and I couldn't move or make a sound. Loud buzzing noise and my dog was growling..

Eventually moved my finger and faded out of it, but didn't sleep well the rest of the night. Sleep apnea and sleeping on your back def do not help.
Almost the same here. More of a black plastic bag/shadow holding me down.

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2014, 01:58 AM
Almost the same here. More of a black plastic bag/shadow holding me down.

Yeah, it's fucking horrible yet somewhat interesting afterwards. Some of these people's experiences sound much more terrifying though:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1pntih/for_those_suffering_from_sleep_paralysis_what_was/

z0sa
11-19-2014, 04:42 AM
Yes. My entire bed was shaking and I felt a presence in the room that was demonic or alien. I couldn't move anything but my eyes. Then I "woke up" fully, my animals on the bed hadn't even twitched, and everything was fine. Never happened again

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Yes. My entire bed was shaking and I felt a presence in the room that was demonic or alien. I couldn't move anything but my eyes. Then I "woke up" fully, my animals on the bed hadn't even twitched, and everything was fine. Never happened again

That's the worst part! I've read that kind of just going with it helps, but that's a little hard to do to say the least.

Blake
11-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Someone started a thread about this a while back. I'd never heard of it and now I can't believe how many people have it.

sounds shitty.

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Someone started a thread about this a while back. I'd never heard of it and now I can't believe how many people have it.

sounds shitty.

Def shitty - I hadn't had it in years so to have it happen again the other night was startling.

Found the other threads from here in the past:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239191&highlight=sleep+paralysis

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200445&highlight=sleep+paralysis

Trill Clinton
11-19-2014, 11:44 AM
sounds scary. i've heard about it before but didn't know there was an actual name for it.

lefty
11-19-2014, 11:45 AM
I've had sleep paralysis so often that It doesnt scare me anymore tbh

JudynTX
11-19-2014, 11:47 AM
That sounds horrible SIA. :(

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2014, 11:51 AM
I've had sleep paralysis so often that It doesnt scare me anymore tbh

Yeah, I've read that you can have some awesome out of body experiences if you play it right - it's just difficult when you feel like you might die.

Ginobilly
11-19-2014, 11:54 AM
It's evil hyper-dimensional entities attacking your soul as you sleep. I've had them before and they are scary. The only way to make em go away is to say an our Father and a hail Mary, and they disappear.

Trainwreck2100
11-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Had it a bunch when I started sleeping on my back after years of sleeping on my sides. Once I knew what it was, I would just go back to sleep

lefty
11-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I've read that you can have some awesome out of body experiences if you play it right - it's just difficult when you feel like you might die.
I've had an OBE once tbh

Another night I also dreamed I was being abducted by Aliens; shit was realistic :(

The Gemini Method
11-19-2014, 12:10 PM
I've had an OBE once tbh

Another night I also dreamed I was being abducted by Aliens; shit was realistic :(

Did P.K. Subban save you?

leemajors
11-19-2014, 12:19 PM
I've had an OBE once tbh

was your ass sore?

lefty
11-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Did P.K. Subban save you?

No the Aliens looked like KKK members from the future

was your ass sore?
:lol

baseline bum
11-11-2016, 02:41 AM
Holy fuck I just experienced exploding head syndrome for the first time, not fun at all. I dreamed there was a lightning strike nearby so I wanted to wake right up and unplug some of my expensive electronics and I couldn't move. And then I kept hearing more and more nearby lightning strikes and I was paralyzed and I just kept wanting to get up and unplug the computer, the stereo, the TV, etc like I usually do when there is a really intense thunderstorm coming through. I woke up thinking there was a big thunderstorm until I got conscious enough to remember there was nothing like that forecast in the area. I have had sleep paralysis before, mostly 10-15 years ago, but this is the first time I have ever experienced loud sounds. When I would get sleep paralysis before all I'd hear is an industrial fan and I'd dream there was green light shining through the fan (think the crystal meth palace scene in Breaking Bad, but this was years before the show). But damn, never anything like the loud lightning strikes I just hallucinated. And I didn't hallucinate any colors.

johnsmith
11-11-2016, 11:46 AM
I've had this happen a few years ago the night after I had back surgery. Scary as fuck. I woke up and saw an all black silhouette that walked slowly towards me. I was trying to scream for help but nothing was coming out. It got all the way up to me and stood right next to my bed and I tried to sit up, then it put one finger on each shoulder and pinned me down while leaning over me and I woke up. I honestly can still feel where it pinned me down because it felt like it was burning.

Shit was crazy.

I've since read that it happens fairly often to people that were put under for an operation earlier in the day.

SpursforSix
11-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Sleep paralysis is terrible. I would try to make a noise loud enough so that my wife would wake me up.

I used to have exploding head syndrome every night when I was about 13. I'd actually wash out my underwear the next morning because I was so embarrassed.

baseline bum
11-11-2016, 06:24 PM

http://images.propstore.com/206292.jpg

DPG21920
11-12-2016, 04:48 PM
I have Sleep Paralysis every once in a while. The key to everything in life is to not panic. I was really surprised the first time it happened that I did not panic. :lol I was almost defiant telling the "demon" there is nothing you can do to me that I fear.

DMC
11-12-2016, 05:40 PM
I was dreaming recently that I was on a couch and there was a box of Twinkies on the table and I wanted to get up and get them because someone else was about to take them. I could feel my legs twitching but they wouldn't move, and I was wide awake seeing the Twinkies and yet I could do nothing. NOTHING. Needless to say when I awoke I went and bought 2 boxes of Twinkies and ate every one back to back.

Trainwreck2100
11-12-2016, 10:35 PM
sleep paralysis happened to me chronically when i first made the transition from sleeping on my side to sleeping on my back. It got so frequent i would stop freaking out when it happened and just learned to ride it out.

Chinook
11-12-2016, 11:12 PM
I had looping dreams that centered around sleep paralysis back when I was in high school. Now I do get it from time to time and have learned to live with it. I also get this thing where I get like five psychedelic dreams within about 15 minutes of real time. Like I'll have a strange, somewhat scary dream, wake up temporarily but be too exhausted to actually get up, then fall back asleep and have another psychedelic dream. It's actually unnerving as hell to have that happen when I'm just trying to take a nap.

DMC
11-13-2016, 03:54 PM
I had looping dreams that centered around sleep paralysis back when I was in high school. Now I do get it from time to time and have learned to live with it. I also get this thing where I get like five psychedelic dreams within about 15 minutes of real time. Like I'll have a strange, somewhat scary dream, wake up temporarily but be too exhausted to actually get up, then fall back asleep and have another psychedelic dream. It's actually unnerving as hell to have that happen when I'm just trying to take a nap.

Ever had a dream that seemed to last an hour and you wake up 5 minutes later?

Spur|n|Austin
11-14-2016, 12:06 AM

The same dream or a new one all together?

Chinook
11-14-2016, 07:01 AM
The same dream or a new one all together?

The looping dream was pretty much the same one. Like, I'd think I had woken up from it but would actually just be starting it again. I don't know about you guys, but I have the ability to wake up if I don't like a dream. It doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time, I'll become aware that I am dreaming and go "Time to jet." But doing so feels like it takes effort, like swimming up from the bottom of a dark pool.

In the looping dream, I got to the point where I was getting exhausted from having to "wake up" repeatedly. Got to the point where I almost gave up. No idea if that would have meant anything.

If you mean the psychedelic dreams, they were always different.

Chinook
11-14-2016, 07:02 AM
Ever had a dream that seemed to last an hour and you wake up 5 minutes later?

Not five, but like 15 minutes.