PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Scheduling - Back to Backs

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Who the hell scheduled the Spurs this year. They have an NBA high, I believe, 20 back to back games. They have 11 of those in 2014. To start December, they play a stretch of 10 games in 15 days, preceded by 3 more back to back games to end the month.

The back-end stretch in December is worse as they play nothing but WCF Playoff caliber teams in a 9 games 15 day stretch.

And I love the Rodeo road trip. 6 of the games are back to back.

The league can go F themselves over this scheduling.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Pistons have more back to backs. Good thing for the Spurs is that most of these are early in the season but they also have long home stretches as well, where they play once per 2 or 3 days and will have time to practice and rest.

Spur-Addict
This is what happens when you win a championship, the league goes out of their way to fuck you if they can. Just ask the Seahawks. But basketball is a different animal because there as so many games, and so much time in the season

Mel_13
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/8/13/6000357/nba-schedule-2014-back-to-back-games

Fireball
11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
The quality of opponents is also astounding during some stretches ... the second half of December is just ridiculous ... after playing in Denver (which is always tough) the Spurs will play Portland, Memphis, Portland, Dallas, L.A. (Clips), OKC, New Orleans, Houston, Memphis and New Orleans again - 4 b2bs overall. I really would like to see the Spurs win 90% of their games before this stretch starts ...

wildbill2u
11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
The quality of opponents is also astounding during some stretches ... the second half of December is just ridiculous ... after playing in Denver (which is always tough) the Spurs will play Portland, Memphis, Portland, Dallas, L.A. (Clips), OKC, New Orleans, Houston, Memphis and New Orleans again - 4 b2bs overall. I really would like to see the Spurs win 90% of their games before this stretch starts ...

Welcome to the Western Conference. The ultimate winner may arrive at the NBA finals beaten up, but they will have been forged in the fire and will have an advantage over whatever team has been beating up on losers over in the East.

100%duncan
11-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Yada yada yada the lowest have 16 b2b's. Spurs fans are too fucking sensitive always.

"THE WORLD IS CONSPIRING AGAINST US!!!!!!!!!!!"

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2014, 11:10 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/TameImpoliteAfricanharrierhawk.gif

manufan10
11-19-2014, 11:45 AM
This is what happens when you win a championship, the league goes out of their way to fuck you if they can. Just ask the Seahawks. But basketball is a different animal because there as so many games, and so much time in the season

:cry the curse of Michael Sam caused the Cowboys to have poor scheduling. :cry

:lol

Seriously though, every team probably has some sort of gripe over scheduling.

Spur-Addict
11-19-2014, 11:59 AM
:cry the curse of Michael Sam caused the Cowboys to have poor scheduling. :cry

:lol

Seriously though, every team probably has some sort of gripe over scheduling.

Yeah that's true. 82 game schedule everyone is bound to have snags. Having so many games there certainly are ways around the alleged "issues".

Can't do that in the NFL though :cry

Cry Havoc
11-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Better in December than in March.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2014, 12:24 PM
I didn't realize the league went crazy on the scheduling. I remember a few years ago when the Spurs had only 13 back to backs. And I believe the league high was only 18 and the league low was like 9.

I guess the extended All Star break and the World Competition that the NBA wants to sponsor during it is f'in everyone schedule up.

Old School 44
11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the Western Conference. The ultimate winner may arrive at the NBA finals beaten up, but they will have been forged in the fire and will have an advantage over whatever team has been beating up on losers over in the East.
Yep...that's what makes this latest Spurs run even more incredible. Last three years in the Western Conference Finals, the past two to the Finals, and last year winning it all. The Western Conference is insanely good. I know it's early, but the East is already showing it's colors. The Magic are currently sitting in the 8th seed at 5-7.

The plus for the Spurs is everyone in the West has to play each other, so I'm not too worried about the schedule, even with the b2bs. The Spurs manage the grind of the long season better than anyone. The key IMO is, an always will be, the teams HEALTH at the end of the season. Hopefully, they've seen the worst of the season's injuries with Patty, Marco and Tiago.

Phenomanul
11-19-2014, 01:43 PM
These days more back-to-backs for the Spurs may mean more rest for Tim and Manu... not necessarily an end-of-the-world scenario...

baseline bum
11-19-2014, 01:48 PM
This long all star break is so fucking stupid. The NBA All Star weekend has been shit since 2000 and it's ridiculous to have teams playing a quarter of their games as back to backs to accommodate the only non-soccer sporting event in the world that can compete with the Pro Bowl for worthlessness.

Mr. Body
11-19-2014, 02:26 PM
This long all star break is so fucking stupid. The NBA All Star weekend has been shit since 2000 and it's ridiculous to have teams playing a quarter of their games as back to backs to accommodate the only non-soccer sporting event in the world that can compete with the Pro Bowl for worthlessness.

I think the players themselves requested it. They wanted more time off to recuperate and, like, be with their families and shit. Who the hell do they think they are?

baseline bum
11-19-2014, 02:27 PM
I think the players themselves requested it. They wanted more time off to recuperate and, like, be with their families and shit. Who the hell do they think they are?

Never heard that. Link?

Drom John
11-19-2014, 03:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10475005/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-lebron-james-nba-stars-lobby-longer-all-star-break

Beaverfuzz
11-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Just win enough to be #1-3 in the WC when it's all said and done.

Beaverfuzz
11-19-2014, 05:36 PM

Didn't they sign up for this to begin with? Should every player be required to sleep at home every night?

spurs1990
11-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Absolutely legitimate complaint from us 'whiny' fans.

Look at their record. You tell me the last time they started 6-4.

Hell they're literally last place in the division.

Schedule stinks period.

Aztecfan03
11-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Actually half the games are a part of the back-to backs unless you are talking about just the second game.

Mr. Body
11-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Never heard that. Link?

Google 'longer all star break nba due to players' and you'll find at least twenty news articles referencing this.

cd021
11-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Plenty of teams have rough stretches. Our opening month of Dallas, @ PHX, @LAC & @GSW (B2B) @ Cleveland is brutal in a 3 week stretch to start the season. After this month

the Spurs play OKC only 3 times with 2 in S.A & LAC twice with one at home. With a nearly full roster (hopefully by December 1st) the Spurs should be much better equip to handle the back to backs. Beating 5 playoff caliber teams and narrowly losing to the Kings, Pelicans and Suns are encouraging considering we can't shoot and can't stop turning the ball over. At some point the percentages are going to rise and the T.Os are going to drop.

The Clippers play 9 in 15 with the majority on the road.

Denver generally has to travel more than most team (if i'm not mistaken)

cd021
11-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Just win enough to be #1-3 in the WC when it's all said and done.

They should win 60-62 I'd peg them at least as 2 seed baring a catastrophic injury. GSW is probably going to be our biggest competition for the 1 seed IMO.

UZER
11-19-2014, 10:54 PM
What sucks the most about the schedule period is the west beats each other up year after year in the regular season, while the east top three teams skate.

cjw
11-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Football schedules are based on prior year record (first place teams play first place teams in two non-common games with division, etc.) so not sure how the Seahawks got screwed. In fact, they started their season early and had ten days off until week 2, with their only other Thursday game being on Thanksgiving I think. It just stinks for them that the AFC West is brutal outside of Oakland, the NFC East has two decent teams and their division is stacked top to bottom.

Very different than a ridiculous number of B2B to start the season. On the flip side, as mentioned before the Spurs will be home plenty throughout the second half and have less B2B.

Beaverfuzz
11-19-2014, 11:38 PM
They should win 60-62 I'd peg them at least as 2 seed baring a catastrophic injury. GSW is probably going to be our biggest competition for the 1 seed IMO.

No, just no. No GSW being anywhere near the top.