PDA

View Full Version : 76ers: Sixers would be 17 point favorites only against University of Kentucky

InRareForm
11-20-2014, 04:51 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/20/las-vegas-sports-book-says-sixers-would-be-17-point-favorites-over-kentucky/

Cry Havoc
11-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Only 17? Impressive.

Splits
11-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Weren't the Lakers 16pt dogs in a game this season?

ambchang
11-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Sixers would annihilate Kentucky. People have to realize that the worst nba player was a star in college once, and he went on with better training and competition afterwards.

InRareForm
11-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Weren't the Lakers 16pt dogs in a game this season?

I think 14.5 against GS

Uriel
11-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Tbh, a better question would be if the 2014 Spurs could beat 2014 Team USA.

Seventyniner
11-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Tbh, a better question would be if the 2014 Spurs could beat 2014 Team USA.

I would pay good money to see that matchup.

iirc the Spurs were 22-point favorites at home vs the Sixers last year, one of the biggest NBA spreads I had ever seen, though I don't pay much attention to it.

ImDaNuts
11-20-2014, 09:00 PM
When the Heat were bad they were +22.5 @ the Celtics once in 2008.

Xylus
11-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Sixers would annihilate Kentucky. People have to realize that the worst nba player was a star in college once, and he went on with better training and competition afterwards.

+1

HemisfairArena
11-21-2014, 01:48 AM

So Jerami Grant from the Sixers who averaged 7 points and 4 boards in his two year stint at Syracuse was a star in college?,,,I'm shocked.

Mal
11-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Good tweet from coach Calipari. Living in true world.

Same shit goes for men vs women in tennis. Serena Williams would stand no chance vs any pro tennis players who is ranked in TOP 400 and isnt 16 yrs old.

Mal
11-21-2014, 05:50 AM
So Jerami Grant from the Sixers who averaged 7 points and 4 boards in his two year stint at Syracuse was a star in college?,,,I'm shocked.

How many minutes he played for Cuse ? Maybe he is good role player, who translated his game to NBA level ?

I looked and he averged 12.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg in his 2nd season. That`s quite improvment from 3.9 3.0 in his 1st year.

ambchang
11-21-2014, 07:24 AM

You mean 12 and 7 in his second year with all acc honorable mention?

Jodelo
11-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Same shit goes for men vs women in tennis. Serena Williams would stand no chance vs any pro tennis players who is ranked in TOP 400 and isnt 16 yrs old.

I remember her or her sister playing a german pro (ranked around 200 i believe) a few years back and lost badly.

ambchang
11-21-2014, 10:11 AM
I remember her or her sister playing a german pro (ranked around 200 i believe) a few years back and lost badly.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

Karsten Braasch v the Williams Sisters

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

In 1999 when Serena Williams was 18 and ranked 4th in the world, she re-opened the debate on whether women can compete with men in professional sport. The US Open champion believed she could take on and beat the best players in the men's game - she even applied for a wild card entry to take part in a men's singles event, the Eurocard Open, but this did not eventuate, mainly because she could not compete as she was not a man.

That's pretty bad.

HemisfairArena
11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
You mean 12 and 7 in his second year with all acc honorable mention?

That's a star to you? What about Cory Jefferson from the Nets?,,,13 and 8 in college and named Big 12 THIRD team,,,not first,,,not second but THIRD team. He was named USWBA district VII player of the year,,,,whatever that is. The 2013 USWBA winner was Pierre Jackson and he was cut by the Sixers last month if that tells you how prestigious that award is. That's a star to you? Your definition of star is very broad if you think so.

ambchang
11-21-2014, 11:21 AM
That's a star to you? What about Cory Jefferson from the Nets?,,,13 and 8 in college and named Big 12 THIRD team,,,not first,,,not second but THIRD team. He was named USWBA district VII player of the year,,,,whatever that is. The 2013 USWBA winner was Pierre Jackson and he was cut by the Sixers last month if that tells you how prestigious that award is. That's a star to you? Your definition of star is very broad if you think so.

Getting into 3rd team in a major conference is not big enough for you? The fact that Pierre Jackson was cut by the Sixers after leading the team to Elite Eight, got All American honourable mention and 2nd team all Big 12 is even a stronger point that fringe NBA players were stars in college.

You make it sound like being on a third team is some insult. Cory Jefferson played major minutes as a starter with the Bears. He was undoubtedly a star on that team, just like MCW is a star on the 6ers, Swaggy P is a star on the Lakers and Gordon Hayward is a star on the Jazz.

Splits
11-21-2014, 11:52 AM
The Philadelphia 76ers Are A Godless Abomination (http://deadspin.com/the-philadelphia-76ers-are-a-godless-abomination-1659664618)

Tuesday 4:17pm (http://deadspin.com/the-philadelphia-76ers-are-a-godless-abomination-1659664618)

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--rgEqqtG8--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/u93dgtcn92r4b4txvbmr.jpg

You almost certainly missed it over the weekend, but the Philadelphia 76ers made a big addition to their roster, scooping up free-agent forward Robert Covington. If you've never heard of Robert Covington, that's because he's an undrafted second-year player who had previously seen the floor in just seven NBA games, and the Sixers don't really like signing players anyone has ever actually heard of. (http://deadspin.com/jesus-have-you-looked-at-the-76ers-roster-1646817254) He's also the ninth undrafted player that the Sixers have signed so far this year, the latest testament to just how little of a shit the Sixers give about even pretending to field a competent basketball team.

Let's take a step back and look at what the Sixers have accomplished so far this year. After losing 100-75 to a Spurs team that played Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili for a mere 46 combined minutes last night, the Sixers dropped to 0-10 on the season. They have scored 100 points in a game just once, and the 88.5 that they are scoring is the worst mark in the league. Their offensive rating (91.15), which measures points scored per 100 possessions, is also worst in the league, almost seven full points clear of the Milwaukee Bucks. The Oklahoma City Thunder, a team that currently features two cardboard cutouts named Devin Durant and Ross Westbrook in its 10-man rotation, is scoring eight more points per 100 possessions than the Sixers.

The Sixers' current point differential is a staggering -16.9, a mark that will shatter the current single-season record of -15.2, if it holds throughout the year. And what's most ridiculous is that they're losing like this while playing philosophically sound basketball (http://regressing.deadspin.com/where-every-nba-team-takes-and-gives-up-shots-1660115261/+kylenw) on both ends of the court. This is what a truly bad team looks like: a group of guys who are so terrible at basketball that they have no shot at winning even when playing the right way.

None of this is happening by accident, of course. For the second straight season, the Sixers are openly tanking (http://deadspin.com/michael-carter-williams-professed-non-tanker-tanks-1658698119) in the hopes of securing yet another top pick in the upcoming draft. In the 2014 draft, they spent two top-10 picks on a guy who was going to be out for the entire season with an injury and another who will be stashed in Europe for at least a year. The plan was always to lose as many games as possible in 2014-15.

Which brings us back to Robert Covington. The Sixers did not sign Robert Covington or any of the other undrafted scrubs that populate the roster because they are looking for good basketball players who can help them win basketball games. They signed him because they only have to pay him $816,482 to go out and do things like shoot 1-of-5 from the field in 17 minutes against the San Antonio Spurs. Robert Covington is in Philly to help the Sixers lose.Covington isn't the only one. Having already employed nine undrafted players this season, the Sixers are just one more signing away from collecting more undrafted scrubs than any team in history. And wouldn't you know it, they are reportedly interested in signing former Syracuse big man Arinze Onuaku (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/Sixers-waive-Johnson-in-order-to-sign-Covington.html?ref=facebook.com&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter), who went undrafted in 2010.

This is not normal! Teams that end up signing a lot of undrafted players usually do so because they've suffered a ton of injuries and need to scramble to fill the roster, or because their payroll is all tied up in a few big contracts and they can't afford to carry legitimate players at the end of the bench. Neither of these scenarios apply to the Sixers: Jason Richardson and Joel Embiid are the only two major injury casualties they have, and their team payroll is about $20 million shy of the CBA's salary floor.
That gulf between the Sixers' current payroll and the salary floor is the most blatant signifier that the team is unabashedly trying to lose. The CBA stipulates that any team that finishes the season below the salary floor will have to pay the remaining difference as bonuses to whatever players are on the roster. What this means is that the Sixers aren't even signing these shit-ass players because they want to save money—they're going to have to pony up that extra $20 million at the end of the season no matter what—but because they are actively trying to field the worst possible roster.

This brain-melting display of no-fucks-given is how we end up with guys like Hollis Thompson, Henry Sims, Brandon Davies, and Chris Johnson all playing 20 minutes a night. Fucking JaKarr Sampson is out here getting 11 minutes of run per game.

One might try to defend the Sixers by pointing out that the only difference between them and other teams that tank is their lack of shame. A pro-Sixers argument might go something like this: Other teams have gone through seasons hoping to lose as many games as possible, but they've just been a little more coy about it. And besides, none of this would be happening if it weren't for the draft, which is just an archaic system that's designed principally to dampen young players' earning potential. In a system this broken, full-throttle tanking might actually be the only the only rational response.

This is all true, but it doesn't mean that the Sixers' lack of shame should escape mockery or ridicule. A team can suck its way to a top lottery pick while also employing a few legitimate NBA players who might be able to parlay a decent season on a bad team into a bigger contract next offseason. Instead, those guys have been left to rot overseas or on teams where they can't get playing time while the Sixers give all their money to patsies like Robert Covington.

The Sixers deserve the scorn of the public, because they aren't so much a basketball team as a monument to the cold, dead-eyed cynicism that so often makes pro sports a huge bummer. They are the bastard children of an Excel spreadsheet, born for the purposes of minimizing risk and maximizing odds. What's even worse is that all the calculating that created this muck isperfectly sensible in a league that still largely rests on the morally cockeyed idea that rookies shouldn't have the right to choose where they want to play or negotiate a fair contract.

Fan satisfaction, entertainment value, and players who need to make a living never even enter into what the Sixers are trying to do, not when there's an extra fraction of a percent to be had. That fraction may turn into a top lottery pick, which may turn into a great NBA player, who may eventually help turn the Sixers into a team worth watching—but all that will have been born out of one of the most grotesque displays of cynicism the NBA will ever see, and it's bullshit.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 11:56 AM

That shit is insane. Top 400 is too overrated. Serena will double bagel players outside of top 100.

ImDaNuts
11-21-2014, 12:04 PM
That shit is insane. Top 400 is too overrated. Serena will double bagel players outside of top 100.

Lol nope. http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx?d=17.11.2014&r=101&c=#

Guys like Juan Martin Del Potro former US Open Champ and guys like Kenny De Schepper, Jurgen Melzer, Nicolas Mahut, Ryan Harrison and James Ward the guys I briefly recognize off that list ranked 101 and above would destroy any female tennis player alive. Mens Tennis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Womens tennis by 1000 miles.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Those guys are top 50 without injuries obviously if you actually follow tennis closely.

Mal
11-21-2014, 12:16 PM

You`re joking right ?

ImDaNuts
11-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Those guys are top 50 without injuries obviously if you actually follow tennis closely.

Seeing as I bet on tennis yeah I know but we're going with rankings and Del Petro actually just recovered from a wrist injury but hasn't played so his ranking right now is justified. He's a top 10 player honestly. Still doesn't change anything. Any player ranked 100-400 would destroy any female player.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 12:19 PM
You`re joking right ?

No im not. The talent from outside 100 and beyond isnt far from each other. Obviously, players getting injured esp Del potro a grand slam champ will 60 60 serena...

Put it like this the number 1 in our country before(cecil mamiit) ranked around 150-500 and his play isnt even impressing. Theres a reason why the president of russian tennis made that "sexist" remark about serena.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Seeing as I bet on tennis yeah I know but we're going with rankings and Del Petro actually just recovered from a wrist injury but hasn't played so his ranking right now is justified. He's a top 10 player honestly. Still doesn't change anything. Any player ranked 100-400 would destroy any female player.
What? That changes everything. Del potro beat Fed for a GS and was on his way to become one of the greats. Then injuries happened. Hes not supposed to be outside 100

Spurs 4 The Win
11-21-2014, 12:23 PM
No im not. The talent from outside 100 and beyond isnt far from each other. Obviously, players getting injured esp Del potro a grand slam champ will 60 60 serena...

Put it like this the number 1 in our country before(cecil mamiit) ranked around 150-500 and his play isnt even impressing. Theres a reason why the president of russian tennis made that "sexist" remark about serena.

The best women player couldnt even beat a mediocre division 1 college male tennis player, stfu

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 12:23 PM
The best women player couldnt even beat a mediocre division 1 college male tennis player, stfu

Yeah nice argument resident idiot

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 12:26 PM
The fact that us male tennis hasnt produced a relevant tennis player recently aside from isner and harrison says so much about a mediocre division 1 :lol

But why would I waste this time on an idiot who probably doesnt even know what an inside out forehand is?

ImDaNuts
11-21-2014, 12:28 PM
What? That changes everything. Del potro beat Fed for a GS and was on his way to become one of the greats. Then injuries happened. Hes not supposed to be outside 100

What in 2009? Yeah he's still good but not counting him look at the list of players 101-200. You're telling me these guys would get double bageled by Serena??

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 12:30 PM
What in 2009? Yeah he's still good but not counting him look at the list of players 101-200. You're telling me these guys would get double bageled by Serena??
Was exaggerating and I accept my fault in that. But yeah, guys that deserve to be out of 100 can be beaten by probably the best women's player in history.

ImDaNuts
11-21-2014, 12:35 PM
When former number 1's Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt were dating, she said that she struggled to win a point of Hewitt, let alone a game. When female player Chris Evert-Lloyd was at her peak, she said her brother who played low level college tennis beat her (from her autobiography).

Serena Williams would have to drop way down the men's rankings - possibly as low as 350th - to find an opponent she could beat, according to former player Jeff Tarango.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Ok you fuckin win this one.

:wakeup

Splits
11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Was exaggerating and I accept my fault in that. But yeah, guys that deserve to be out of 100 can be beaten by probably the best women's player in history.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Article (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=0#post0)
Karsten Braasch v the Williams Sisters

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

In 1999 when Serena Williams was 18 and ranked 4th in the world, she re-opened the debate on whether women can compete with men in professional sport. The US Open champion believed she could take on and beat the best players in the men's game - she even applied for a wild card entry to take part in a men's singles event, the Eurocard Open, but this did not eventuate, mainly because she could not compete as she was not a man.

That's pretty bad.

Spurs 4 The Win
11-21-2014, 02:18 PM
100%Duncan getting clowned on his retarded femenazi agenda :lmao

Mal
11-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Serena is just too powerful for any women. It wont make any damage to male player.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 07:09 PM
100%Duncan getting clowned on his retarded femenazi agenda :lmao

Yes the misogynist is a femenazi lol

Nathan89
11-21-2014, 07:21 PM
The fact that us male tennis hasnt produced a relevant tennis player recently aside from isner and harrison says so much about a mediocre division 1 :lol

Yeah, it says they can't compete with top male players that avoid playing division 1.

Nathan89
11-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Thinking only 100 male tennis players can compete with the best women players is absolutely absurd.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Thinking only 100 male tennis players can compete with the best women players is absolutely absurd.

I already rested my case son. Forgive me. :lol

ImDaNuts
11-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Kentucky barely beating the scrubs from Boston