PDA

View Full Version : Quick and short Game Grades: Spurs vs cavs

apalisoc_9
11-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Kawhi Leonard - Lebron's father. Kawhi was a beast on the defensive end, rebounding and had a great all around game last night. Offensively though, he struggled and continues to shoot poorly from the three point line. -B

Tim Duncan - elite player at the age of 38. Duncan was amazing last night in terms of scoring the basket out of a feed. He communicated well with passers that resulted in easy baskets. He was however, 1-8 with post up plays. Defensively, he allowed varejo to secure offensive board, and make easy shots -B

Tony Parker - Tony just doesn't look like he has enough speed to beat guards with his dribble. in 8 occasions, he tried to attack the basket only to find out his man is still in front of him after a screen.He just doesn't look fast enough to be able to beat defenders. Defensively, he was poor. -C

Manu Ginobili - It was a quiet night from Manu offensively, but I thought he was really good on the defensive end.Offensively, he was trapped all night and was forced to pass to either duncan and Baynes majority of the time. Missed an important free throw. C

Boris Diaw - Easily the best Player last night. From his passes alone, Tim made 5 baskets. He was brilliant in the post and dribble. He rebounded the ball, and put in good effort defensively. A

Danny Green - I thought he at least covered his guys properly, made a basket or two and hustled..But he continues to struggle with his 3 point shoot. B

Xory Joseph - cory hit 4 of his 5 shots in 17 minutes of play. He was aggressive both in the offensive end and defensive end. I thought he covered well for parker who had an awful game. +B

Aaron Baynes - you can only ask so much..Baynes had the ball in many occasions because they were trapping Manu. He converted in some but really looks awkward out there. I thought defensively he did his job, but there wasn't much to defend though. B

Austin Daye - Why is this guy playing?

Some random thoughts and stats..

- Green is another guy that is struggling to play with kawhi as an offensive option..He either decides to dribble and pass the ball to a less efficient player.

- Tim is shooting below 25% in his post up plays the four games....That's terrible. probably around 30% for the season, not sure.

- I take my word back from last night. Tony tried to be aggressive last night, he just couldn't shake his guards.

- Boris diaw is fuxking awesome.

- I can't think of a better perimeter defender than Kawhi Leonard this year..

- Mark Jackson is an Idiot.

EVAY
11-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Agree that Parker's grade should be no more than a C, if that high. Disagree about his defense, though. He really worked hard and effectively for the most part. Yes he got beat occasionally, but much less than some others, and Kawhi even got beat by LeBron occasionally. Although Tony looked terrible when he was on the court, things kept getting worse for the team when he left.

In fact, the only person who didn't get beat by his opponent much during the entire game was Boris, because that man was on another level from everybody else. He made mince meat of Kevin Love and dominated the floor on both sides of the ball.

Agree with you that most of the normal ball handlers are struggling with trying to incorporate Kawhi on the ball more. Something will get worked out about it. [Did I just call Green a normal ball handler? oops!]

Tony and Manu both need Tiago back - and to paraphrase a famous Thunder coach, Tiago "ain't walking through that door".

illusioNtEk
11-20-2014, 06:58 PM
waiting for apalisoc's second account "Malik Hairston" to chime in

Phenomanul
11-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Agree that Parker's grade should be no more than a C, if that high. Disagree about his defense, though. He really worked hard and effectively for the most part. Yes he got beat occasionally, but much less than some others, and Kawhi even got beat by LeBron occasionally. Although Tony looked terrible when he was on the court, things kept getting worse for the team when he left.

In fact, the only person who didn't get beat by his opponent much during the entire game was Boris, because that man was on another level from everybody else. He made mince meat of Kevin Love and dominated the floor on both sides of the ball.

Agree with you that most of the normal ball handlers are struggling with trying to incorporate Kawhi on the ball more. Something will get worked out about it. [Did I just call Green a normal ball handler? oops!]

Tony and Manu both need Tiago back - and to paraphrase a famous Thunder coach, Tiago "ain't walking through that door".

This...

Most folks can't properly value the high-level positioning and timing that come with Splitter's picks... In one fell swoop he provides his PnR guards more spacing for them to maneuver (which leads to less traps, better overall ball movement, less turnovers and more offensive options --> which lessens the decision-making burden), and he simultaneously positions himself to be a threat on the roll (even when the other team is trying to defend against it).

He has always had this talent... but over the past few years (as Tiago's "confidence" has grown) he has been able to demonstrate it more consistently... It has proven to be an invaluable asset for our guards (especially an aging Manu)...

tholdren
11-20-2014, 08:00 PM
This...

Most folks can't properly value the high-level positioning and timing that come with Splitter's picks... In one fell swoop he provides his PnR guards more spacing for them to maneuver (:downspin:> which lessens the decision-making burden), and he simultaneously positions himself to be a threat on the roll (even when the other team is trying to defend against it).

He has always had this talent... but over the past few years (as Tiago's "confidence" has grown) he has been able to demonstrate it more consistently... It has proven to be an invaluable asset for our guards (especially an aging Manu)...

Sigh.... "which leads to less traps"

Robz4000
11-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Agree with EVAY, Parker was above average at worst on D last night imo. Other than that, everything else is spot on.

apalisoc_9
11-20-2014, 09:57 PM

i thought he was poor in terms of communicating with the PnR defender...