PDA

View Full Version : As bad as the Lakers are...

Uriel
11-20-2014, 10:27 PM
...they still have a better record than the OKC Thunder. :hat

Venti Quattro
11-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Things are going to get better for the Thunder when they recoup KD and RWB from injuries. These are your 2014-15 Los Angeles Lakers.

KaiRMD1
11-20-2014, 10:30 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ce46b48408bf233a93153fd38e279e91/tumblr_mmi5riBmRP1s9zno7o1_400.gif

Robz4000
11-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Things are going to get better for the Thunder when they recoup KD and RWB from injuries. These are your 2014-15 Los Angeles Lakers.

Both are gonna miss the playoffs tho, so in the end the Lakers will be sitting pretty (unless Phoenix takes their cookie).

Biernutz
11-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Lakers have no up side for this year..OKC has Durant and Westbrook coming back in weeks
from injury's ...You must know this ...

Venti Quattro
11-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Both are gonna miss the playoffs tho, so in the end the Lakers will be sitting pretty (unless Phoenix takes their cookie).

You think they will quit on this season to get a better pick? I think they're going to try and sneak in the playoffs. I mean it's not impossible but it will be largely dependent on their record in January. So far they're not doing as well as they would've wanted, but let's see...

KaiRMD1
11-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Thunder aren't going to miss the playoffs and if they do then I will be utterly shocked

Robz4000
11-20-2014, 11:02 PM
You think they will quit on this season to get a better pick? I think they're going to try and sneak in the playoffs. I mean it's not impossible but it will be largely dependent on their record in January. So far they're not doing as well as they would've wanted, but let's see...

When Durant and Westchuck get back the Thunder will have roughly 20 losses. To make the playoffs they'll need 50 wins minimum, meaning they'll only be able to lose 12 games the rest of the way. Lets not forget they'll need 10 or so games to work themselves into playing shape. In this scenario OKC would be retarded not to tank if the alternative is running those two into the ground to have a slim chance at the postseason.

Venti Quattro
11-20-2014, 11:05 PM
When Durant and Westchuck get back the Thunder will have roughly 20 losses. To make the playoffs they'll need 50 wins minimum, meaning they'll only be able to lose 12 games the rest of the way. Lets not forget they'll need 10 or so games to work themselves into playing shape. In this scenario OKC would be retarded not to tank if the alternative is running those two into the ground to have a slim chance at the postseason.
Fair point, I think Durant and Westbrook are thinking this as well -- shut down this season and come back next season with fresh legs, less mileage, and where teams will be a year older and weaker.

Or maybe they'll be retarded enough and they'll try to sneak in the playoffs.

Robz4000
11-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Fair point, I think Durant and Westbrook are thinking this as well -- shut down this season and come back next season with fresh legs, less mileage, and where teams will be a year older and weaker.

Or maybe they'll be retarded enough and they'll try to sneak in the playoffs.

Next season Duncan and Manu are likely gone, leaving the West all for them. Add on another piece via lottery or trading their pick and you have your overwhelming title favorite. Plus if they finish with a garbage record Brooks is likely gone, which would be addition by subtraction even if Westchimp becomes a player-coach.

scanry
11-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Next season Duncan and Manu are likely gone, leaving the West all for them. Add on another piece via lottery or trading their pick and you have your overwhelming title favorite. Plus if they finish with a garbage record Brooks is likely gone, which would be addition by subtraction even if Westchimp becomes a player-coach.

As the season progresses, I don't think the Suns, Kings nor the Pelicans can continue wining games at their current pace. OKC only has 5 less losses than the Suns & the Kings. You're also underestimating the pride involved in tanking for players like Westbrook & Durant. No way do they let the front office dictate terms to them after they cheaped out on Harden.

Uriel
11-21-2014, 01:07 AM

Lakers have no up side for this year..OKC has Durant and Westbrook coming back in weeks
from injury's ...You must know this ...
Of course I know that. :lol You guys are missing the point of the thread.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 01:10 AM
On the other hand although it seems impossible, I wish the Lakers get the 8th seed.

1. No pick.
2. We get to sweep the fuckers again.

spurso
11-21-2014, 01:15 AM
I am personally wanting them to get to the playoffs because I don't want them lucking out and winning the Lottery. That would be really sucky for us.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 01:16 AM
I am personally wanting them to get to the playoffs because I don't want them lucking out and winning the Lottery. That would be really sucky for us.

As long as Duncan rings I dont give a fuck if they get the next Jordan.

Robz4000
11-21-2014, 01:38 AM
As the season progresses, I don't think the Suns, Kings nor the Pelicans can continue wining games at their current pace. OKC only has 5 less losses than the Suns & the Kings. You're also underestimating the pride involved in tanking for players like Westbrook & Durant. No way do they let the front office dictate terms to them after they cheaped out on Harden.

Suns were in the playoff race last year until the last day of the season and the Pelicans may have the best player in the NBA. I can definitely see both winning 50 games if they stay healthy and the Suns acquire a decent big (Pekovic maybe?). Kings prolly won't but who knows, they look solid right now. You also need to factor in that both Westchimp/Durant will be out at least another 10 games and all of them are potential losses (only game I see them being favored is at home against Utah).

The top brass in OKC need to sit them down and explain the situation; if they don't keep them informed and explain themselves then they deserve flak. This is completely different from the Harden situation as this is risking both their superstars' futures healthwise. If they wanna be stubborn and go for it that's on them; by the time they reach the postseason the entire team will be gassed.

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 01:41 AM
Even if KD and Alpha get back healthy there's no guarantee they win most of their games from there.

spurraider21
11-21-2014, 02:07 AM
Even if KD and Alpha get back healthy there's no guarantee they win most of their games from there.
there are a lot of bad scenarios that could play out for OKC... they miss the playoffs + Reggie Jackson playing himself into a contract they can't afford (or are just too stingy to pay)

100%duncan
11-21-2014, 02:10 AM
there are a lot of bad scenarios that could play out for OKC... they miss the playoffs + Reggie Jackson playing himself into a contract they can't afford (or are just too stingy to pay)

Good for me though. I hate those whiny food stampers.

Sean Cagney
11-21-2014, 03:17 AM
Thunder aren't going to miss the playoffs and if they do then I will be utterly shocked

I agree, when I read that I laughed a little. They are not going to miss the playoffs. They will be a VERY tough out for a higher seed in round one infact, very tough.

DrSteffo
11-21-2014, 03:30 AM
I don't know what will happen in the future. It's a good thing because it makes life and the nba more interesting.

TampaDude
11-21-2014, 07:06 AM
I seriously doubt OKC misses the playoffs. If they do, the Spurs would have a clear path to SEIS.

Uriel
11-21-2014, 07:55 AM
It would really suck if the Spurs got the 1 seed and OKC gets the 8 seed and we have to play a fully healthy Thunder team in the 1st round. It wouldn't be outlandish to think the Spurs could lose that series.

I hope OKC gets the 7 seed and Memphis gets the 2 seed and the Grizzlies boot them from the playoffs early.

Raven
11-21-2014, 08:00 AM
okc still has plenty of time ... i'm not ready to write them off by any means.

Blue Duck
11-21-2014, 10:43 AM
For some reason, every possible scenario that has been discussed here regarding the thunder makes me nervous. Ugghhhh.

Cry Havoc
11-21-2014, 11:29 AM
The Thunder are likely going to be something like 4-14 when Westbrook comes back. But just leaning on him every night isn't going to get that team to .500 in the brutal West. In fact, it's not crazy to postulate that the Thunder are going to only be able to keep their heads at sea level missing Durant. And that's assuming WB comes back in 4 weeks. If he misses 6, things get REALLY dicey as we're looking at possibly a 5-18 record at that point.

Let's say WB comes back on the 7th of December and the Thunder are 5-14. Fairly reasonable given their current pace. They have 14 games in December before the KD train is supposed to return.

With Westbrook, let's say they go 8-6 to close out the month. That's pretty optimistic considering WB will not be 100% and his shot might be off with his shooting hand injured.

That puts them at 13-20 with 49 games remaining in the season.

If the bar for the playoffs is 49 wins in the regular season in the West, the Thunder need to go 36-13 to close the year out, and this assumes everyone stays healthy.

36-13 is nearly a 60 win pace, something they didn't do last year. That's pretty blistering, tbh. Not impossible but I would absolutely NOT put money on the Thunder making the playoffs this year, and that's assuming they don't pick up injuries to Ibaka or further injuries to KD or WB.

Mel_13
11-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Hole keeps getting deeper

3-11 now, with six of those losses to:

Brooklyn x2
Milwaukee
Detroit
Utah
Denver

BatManu20
11-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I seriously doubt OKC misses the playoffs. If they do, the Spurs would have a clear path to SEIS.

Dallas is still a legitimate threat, unfortunately. Especially if they get home court.

TampaDude
11-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Dallas is still a legitimate threat, unfortunately. Especially if they get home court.

Speaking of Dallas...they are assraping the Lakers tonight...love it!!!

TheGreatYacht
11-21-2014, 11:06 PM

spurs1990
11-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Hard to hate LA with their current state.

Not sure if it's feasible but that quandry would resolved if both Durant and Westbrook bolted to LA in 2016.

Uriel
11-22-2014, 04:41 AM
The Thunder are likely going to be something like 4-14 when Westbrook comes back. But just leaning on him every night isn't going to get that team to .500 in the brutal West. In fact, it's not crazy to postulate that the Thunder are going to only be able to keep their heads at sea level missing Durant. And that's assuming WB comes back in 4 weeks. If he misses 6, things get REALLY dicey as we're looking at possibly a 5-18 record at that point.

Let's say WB comes back on the 7th of December and the Thunder are 5-14. Fairly reasonable given their current pace. They have 14 games in December before the KD train is supposed to return.

With Westbrook, let's say they go 8-6 to close out the month. That's pretty optimistic considering WB will not be 100% and his shot might be off with his shooting hand injured.

That puts them at 13-20 with 49 games remaining in the season.

If the bar for the playoffs is 49 wins in the regular season in the West, the Thunder need to go 36-13 to close the year out, and this assumes everyone stays healthy.

36-13 is nearly a 60 win pace, something they didn't do last year. That's pretty blistering, tbh. Not impossible but I would absolutely NOT put money on the Thunder making the playoffs this year, and that's assuming they don't pick up injuries to Ibaka or further injuries to KD or WB.
You wouldn't put money on them to make that playoffs. But that doesn't mean you think they won't make the playoffs. Do you?

FireMicoHalili
11-22-2014, 04:53 AM
here are NBA teams' strength of schedule: http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

If I interpret it correctly, it indicates MEM, DAL, PHX, and HOU have it relatively easier than the Spurs thus far. Lakers expected to lose heavily. Sacramento at #2, so it's a pleasant surprise to see them constantly winning. Clips and Spurs expected to have better records as season progresses.

Cry Havoc
11-22-2014, 11:56 AM
You wouldn't put money on them to make that playoffs. But that doesn't mean you think they won't make the playoffs. Do you?

Wtf. Why would I not put money on something that I thought was going to happen? That's the entire point of saying, "I wouldn't put money on it." I'd say they have a 35% chance of making the post-season.

Uriel
11-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Wtf. Why would I not put money on something that I thought was going to happen? That's the entire point of saying, "I wouldn't put money on it." I'd say they have a 35% chance of making the post-season.
There's a difference between saying "I wouldn't put money on them to make the playoffs" and "I would put money on them to miss the playoffs." The former implies that you're uncertain as to whether they would make the playoffs or not, and so you'd rather not risk losing money by betting on the outcome. The latter implies that you're reasonably certain they would miss the playoffs.

Hence, my question pertained to whether you thought they would make the playoffs or not. Your "35%" estimate, then, puts you at the latter camp, not the former.