PDA

View Full Version : Report: Brown about ready to sign offer sheet

ducks
08-28-2005, 11:34 PM
The Jazz have also been in the running for San Antonio restricted free agent guard Devin Brown, the only free agent known so far to have visited Utah, where he was born, and talked with the Jazz. His agent has said Brown is getting close to signing an offer sheet (the Spurs would have seven days to match, if they choose), though the agent has never listed teams with whom Brown visited. The Jazz acknowledged having him in town Aug. 9.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600159229,00.html

SenorSpur
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Just as I suspected. The dominoes are about to fall.

Manu20
08-28-2005, 11:36 PM
For how much $$$?

Dex
08-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Hopefully this doesn't go down for another couple days, until after Finley has reached a decision.

I really don't want us to get stuck in the limbo of doing the 7-day countdown for Devin, while we're still waiting for Fin to make up his freaking mind.

SPARKY
08-28-2005, 11:38 PM
From a cap perspective, this wouldn't hurt the Spurs' chances with Finley or another free agent since the Spurs have Brown's Early Bird rights.

SenorSpur
08-28-2005, 11:39 PM
From a cap perspective, this wouldn't hurt the Spurs' chances with Finley or another free agent since the Spurs have Brown's Early Bird rights.

So what advantage does having is "Early Bird rights" give us?

SPARKY
08-28-2005, 11:40 PM
So what advantage does having is "Early Bird rights" give us?

They would not need to use the remainder of the MLE or the LLE to match the offer sheet.

xcoriate
08-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Isn't that the case anyway? I thought we could just sign him out of our own back pocket. On the other hand does this erase our qualifying offer to him?

I'm confused

DesiSpur_21
08-29-2005, 01:32 AM
Isn't that the case anyway? I thought we could just sign him out of our own back pocket. On the other hand does this erase our qualifying offer to him?

I'm confused

Spurs could re-sign Devin if they are above the cap (potentially getting into luxury tax situation) - They don't need MLE/LLE for that. Question is whether they're willing to do that and I doubt Holt would do that.

xcoriate
08-29-2005, 02:09 AM
i know that

Brutalis
08-29-2005, 02:37 AM
I think he is just pulling a stunt. Crying wolf, I really don't see him leaving.

xcoriate
08-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Hmm, I kinda misread something. Anyway you know how the qualifying offer counts against our cap is that no longer the case once he signs an offer sheet? I know it doesn't matter as we are well over the cap. Also I can remember last season something about qualifying offers counting at a higher percentage than a standard contract something to do with Hedo?

CyberSnake
08-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Hopefully this doesn't go down for another couple days, until after Finley has reached a decision.

I really don't want us to get stuck in the limbo of doing the 7-day countdown for Devin, while we're still waiting for Fin to make up his freaking mind.

I think if Devin signs with the Jazz it's because he knows Finley chose the Spurs.

spurster
08-29-2005, 08:06 AM
The Spurs have Devin's early bird rights. That means that the Spurs can match any offer regardless of whether the Spurs are over the salary cap or not. [In the previous CBA, a team could only match up to MLE-level salary. I'm not sure about the new CBA.] Also, the Spurs do not have use their LLE or MLE exceptions to match Devin, so the Spurs would still have about a $2M LLE and about $2M left in their MLE to make offers.

Of course, all salary counts with respect to the luxury tax. The issue for the Spurs is that they are very close to the luxury tax threshold.

ObiwanGinobili
08-29-2005, 08:25 AM
I think he is just pulling a stunt. Crying wolf, I really don't see him leaving.

I don't think he wants to leave. He's been waiting & waiting hoping the Spurs's other options will dry up and they'll resign him.
But truth is the boy has got to play somewhere and if Spurs aren't gonna take him............

not too mention he is worth more than the 700k he made last year.. and if he wants his career to go anywhere he'll need a team where he can grow and delvelop as a player.

SPARKY
08-29-2005, 08:39 AM
An offer sheet would not use the MLE or LLE, since the Spurs have Brown's Early Bird rights.

Bear in mind that the Spurs could very well be trying to bluff the Jazz or any other potential suitor into thinking that it will either be Finley or Brown, not both.

xcoriate
08-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah, i got that. Once Brown signs an offer sheet though. Is our qualifying offer erased from the books? Its kind of irrelevant, but I'm curious.

SPARKY
08-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Yeah, i got that. Once Brown signs an offer sheet though. Is our qualifying offer erased from the books? Its kind of irrelevant, but I'm curious.

Not sure and yeah, it's a triviality. Perhaps as long as the Spurs are waiting to match it is. As soon as they decline to match then he'd go off the books, I'd imagine.

I'd say that since he signed a deal with another team that the QO would stop counting against the Spurs' cap. But the Spurs' cap figure now doesn't matter with respect to the lux tax, for example.

G-Nob
08-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Genius on Brown's agents part. No matter where Finley lands, he's guaranteed his client a contract within seven days.

xcoriate
08-30-2005, 12:31 AM
There was never really any doubt Devin was getting an offer. I doubt its any where near the amount he wanted.

NZHayden
08-30-2005, 06:47 AM
he should stay here, Utah can only really offer more minutes than the spurs, not a championship

xcoriate
08-30-2005, 06:54 AM
I think he will probably end up back here. Utah won't be breaking the bank for him and it sounds as though we'll sign him as long as we dont have Finely. I'm actually pleasantly suprised about that Holt hasn't missed a beat upon approaching lux tax, the Spurs are spending. Maybe they have a deal lined up for Rasho/Brent/Udrih?