Pages : [1] 2

Chinook
11-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Pretty much copying and pasting Bruno's OP from the 2014 thread:

Spurs' 2015 draft picks :
Spurs First round pick
Spurs second round pick

Players available for the 2015 draft :
International players born in 1993 and college senior are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 94, 95 or 96 can enter in the draft.

Key dates :
April 8 - April 11: Portsmouth invitational tournament.
April 11 : Nike Hoop Summit in Portland.
? : Early entry withdrawal deadline to keep NCAA eligibility.
April 26 : Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 12-17: Draft combine in Chicago
May 19 : Draft Lottery.
? : Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 15 : Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 25 : NBA Draft in NY.

Links :
Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
A blog on European prospects (http://www.europeanprospects.com/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)

Chinook
11-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Here you go for anyone who wanted a draft thread for next year. Help filling in the rest of the key dates would be appreciated, and let me know if there's anything you want me to add to the OP. Also, this would be around the time for people to start submitting draft-prospect threads, so if there's a guy you want, go ahead and submit the thread or a request for one, and I'll see what I can do.

Finally, I'm stickying this thread an unstickying the 2014 one, but I'll leave that one open for a bit longer if people want to continue discussion on it.

Baam
11-23-2014, 11:30 AM

Uriel
11-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Thanks, Chinook. :toast

Chinook
12-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Just a helpful reminder. Prospect threads have a certain format for the OP, which one can find by looking at any prospect thread. Essentially it is a follows:

Picture of player (usually an action shot of the player on the court) -- small to medium in size

Height (in feet or in both meters and feet)
Weight (in pounds or both kilos and pounds)
Day of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
Current Team (if the team is not in the NCAA or NBA, list country or d-league)
(The nationality is optional here)

Link to DX profile
Link to NBADraft.net profile

I have edited and will continue to edit OPs to fit this format, so it's not a huge deal if you don't do it or make a mistake. However, I use ST mainly from my phone and I almost exclusively edit posts when I'm on my computer. So it may take a while longer for me to get threads approved if they aren't in the usual format. They'll get approved (or you'll get a PM from me explaining why the thread isn't approved) eventually; it's just faster for everyone this way.

Thanks.

Richie
12-30-2014, 12:49 AM
My early choice for the Spurs late first is Tyrone Wallace. 6'5" point guard averaging 19 points with 4 assists and 9 boards. His rebounding and steals (1.3) suggests he's got a big wingspan so could play both guard positions.

Sounds like his become a better shooter in 12 games so far (15/34, 44% from 3) but thats up from poor shooting the past two years and he is still only 56% on the FT line.

If he can shoot, defend and make plays (4 assist/game) as well as his stats suggest he'll likely be a lottery pick. I'll be keeping my eyes open for him

Chinook
12-30-2014, 07:58 AM
My early choice for the Spurs late first is Tyrone Wallace. 6'5" point guard averaging 19 points with 4 assists and 9 boards. His rebounding and steals (1.3) suggests he's got a big wingspan so could play both guard positions.

Sounds like his become a better shooter in 12 games so far (15/34, 44% from 3) but thats up from poor shooting the past two years and he is still only 56% on the FT line.

If he can shoot, defend and make plays (4 assist/game) as well as his stats suggest he'll likely be a lottery pick. I'll be keeping my eyes open for him

Moved this post over here, since it seems like that was your intention.

I don't know much about that guy, but that's a pretty decent picture you paint. Why not make a thread on the kid?

FireMicoHalili
12-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Rondae Jefferson could stand to improve on his jump shot and defense, but the kid has hops and the passing skills. Could be around at #20.

BackHome
01-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Just curious what number do you think the Spurs will land for this years draft?

DrunkTXLabrat
01-01-2015, 11:22 PM

Drom John
01-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Hollinger playoff odds currently has the Spurs coin flipping with the Bucks for 20-21.

Namundy
01-10-2015, 11:04 PM
How do you guys feel about Justin Anderson from UVA? I admit I don't watch much college basketball but he seems to have taken his game to another level this year. His older brother played basketball at my college and brought 7th grade Justin to the gym. He was already doing reverse dunks and windmills at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W5OlV9BSko

Great head on his shoulders. Really nice kid. Athletic as hell with an NBA ready physique. Shooting has improved dramatically and he's playing a key role on one of the best teams in the nation. Has he ever been mentioned as a Spurs target?

Namundy
01-15-2015, 05:01 PM
http://content.draftexpress.com/headshots/justinanderson.jpg

Height: 6-6
Weight: 222 lbs
Birthday: 11/19/1993 (21 years old)
Team/Class: University of Virginia, Junior

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Emmanuel-Mudiay-6472/):
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Anderson-5676/

SI Article:
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/01/14/justin-anderson-virginia-cavaliers-acc

Freshmen Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzP6Hn4pq0

Highlight Reel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W5OlV9BSko

Why He Fits San Antonio:
Projected late first round pick (where SA should be drafting next year). Excellent NBA ready physique at 6'6" with a 6'11" wingspan. Athletic wing who has a penchant for chase down blocks and alley oops. Lacks a consistent jump shot but has improved that area in his Junior year. Unselfish individual who is always willing to make the extra pass to the open man. Great head on his shoulders and a defense first mentality.

Richie
01-20-2015, 10:43 AM
If we're picking in the early 20's, an option could be Caris LeVert. He's at #14 on DX at the moment but just picked up an injury so he's out of the season and that could help him fall to us.

His body is his major weakness, he struggles to defend wings as they can just overpower him and it also makes him a poor finisher at the rim. He's a good catch a shoot guy from the college 3 though, he can handle the ball and he's very young for a junior. He's got the size, length and effort to be good on the defensive end if his body can catch up.

bluebellmaniac
01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Not many internationals in the top 20. It would be nice if Mario Hezonja fell to us somehow. Perhaps a draft day swap of picks + Mills? We really need a replacement for Manu (or Beli).

Baam
01-20-2015, 02:15 PM
How about Christian Wood or Looney?

If the pick was in the late 20s I think SG would have made sense but with the best pick in a while and a big have draft imo they have to go with a big with upside...

Richie
01-20-2015, 06:01 PM
How about Christian Wood or Looney?

If the pick was in the late 20s I think SG would have made sense but with the best pick in a while and a big have draft imo they have to go with a big with upside...

I'm all about getting the best player available, I don't care what position they play. The obvious requirements are a ball handler off the bench and a new big man to replace Manu and Timmy, but let's be honest we aren't replacing either of those guys.

If we go for a big man he needs to be a shot blocker who can eventually hit the mid range jump shot, basically Serge Ibaka or Gorgei Dieng.

Baam
01-20-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm all about getting the best player available, I don't care what position they play. The obvious requirements are a ball handler off the bench and a new big man to replace Manu and Timmy, but let's be honest we aren't replacing either of those guys.

If we go for a big man he needs to be a shot blocker who can eventually hit the mid range jump shot, basically Serge Ibaka or Gorgei Dieng.

The shooting part seems more important to me, Portis and Turner also seem interesting... Lots of PFs.

BackHome
01-21-2015, 10:55 PM
For me replacing Manu or Timmy is the hardest when Manu leaves we loose our second PG/Ball Handler/Assist. When Timmy leaves well we will not in our life time be able to replace him.....

I agree Richie that Caris LeVert would be a steal but I don't know since he fractured his foot I guess roll the dice.

For bigs would love Bobby Portis or Christian Wood

For SG/SF - do like Anderson and the kid from OK I think Buddy Hield.

pad300
02-08-2015, 07:36 PM
As a general strategy, I agree with BPA. As for individual players, I would keep an eye on Frank Kaminsky. Much like Anderson last year, he will drop in projection unless he has a excellent measurements/athletic testing. He'd fit right in as a Bonner upgrade. Another one I like is Kris Dunn, who might develop into something approaching Tony... Jerian Grant and Delon Wright also both intrigue me as SG's with strong ball-handling and creative abilities, a la Manu...

Richie
02-09-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm a big fan of Kaminsky, if he became a Spencer Hawes type player he'd be a great pickup at #20.

bluebellmaniac
02-09-2015, 12:38 PM
I think we make a move up the seedings going into the playoffs and probably end up picking around 25-26.

palangi
02-09-2015, 03:32 PM
I would actually like to see bertans just come over as the bonner replacement.

Then bring LJC over to be a Leonard clone but 2 inches taller. Let England work his shot like Kahwi. But he would come over as a good defender and rebounder.

BackHome
02-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Probably stay between 20 and 24 so good chance we are looking at:

Justin Anderson - 6'6 - SF - Virginia
Delon Wright - 6'5- PG/SG - San Francisco
Christian Wood - 6'11 - PF - UNLV
Jerian Grant - 6'5 - SG - Irish

Richie
02-13-2015, 05:14 AM
DX just put up a breakdown of George Lucas, young Brazillian kid. 6'5" Point Guard with a 7'1" wingspan and huge hands, he's one of the youngest players who are draft eligible. With that kind of physical profile he could guard 2's and 3's in the NBA.

Nowhere near NBA ready yet but he's young, if we want to draft and stash he's probably the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRkCW9Cf6B4

Don't expect him to declare unless he gets a promise

Chinook
02-13-2015, 12:31 PM
DX just put up a breakdown of George Lucas, young Brazillian kid. 6'5" Point Guard with a 7'1" wingspan and huge hands, he's one of the youngest players who are draft eligible. With that kind of physical profile he could guard 2's and 3's in the NBA.

Nowhere near NBA ready yet but he's young, if we want to draft and stash he's probably the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRkCW9Cf6B4

Don't expect him to declare unless he gets a promise

Spurs should give him that promise. He has the size to play three positions, so his spot on the team is future-proofed, if you will. Draft him, get him with Chip and let him spend some time with Green and Leonard (and even Udoka) to develop his D. He already has the PG skills; he just needs to develop some more role-player skills. He'd slot in just fine between Mills and Anderson in the 2017 bench rotation.

BackHome
02-14-2015, 01:28 AM
Not sure he is a pure PG but he does have skills and all the things you like in a player. Though if our draft falls between 20-24 then I would still draft.

Justin Anderson - 6'6 - SF - Virginia
Delon Wright - 6'5- PG/SG - San Francisco
Christian Wood - 6'11 - PF - UNLV
Jerian Grant - 6'5 - SG - Irish

If we our draft is 24-30 the I would not be upset if they picked him. I would though rather sign him to the D-League and let the Spurs coaches get after him then do a draft and stash.

Ditty
02-15-2015, 05:22 AM
If Spurs go local than Justin Anderson looks to be my guy. This dude has lottery pick athleticism, and an ideal shooting guard frame. His jump shoot looks a lot better now, and we might finally have a Spur in the slam dunk competition for the first once :lol. Of course his dribbling and playmaking skills are limited, but so was Kawhi's coming out of college and he fixed his dribbling issues, and his playmaking skills have gotten better. Anderson has been known to be a unselfish player also so that could in the play making department for him. Him and Leonard would tear it up on the block for many years to come imo.

Though....this George Lucas kid looks extremely intriguing, especially with his skill set at 18 years old! He looks like he could be a lottery pick no doubt if he waits next season, which I think he will ultimately do. He would make an amazing shooting guard at least if his shooting mechanics improve which do doubt would here in SA. From what I saw from the video his speed/quickness didn't stand out to me compared to NBA point guards these days, but of course his size, athleticism and length will overcome that to at least guard many shooting guards in the next level.

CGD
02-15-2015, 09:15 AM
drafting a SG makes a lot of sense to me. No idea what to expect from manu or beli after this season (retire/moving on), and we're really not talking about Danny Green having to be resigned. Will he get a rich offer that will make the Spurs think twice? I don't know.

It'd be good to have some insurance, and a cheap rookie contract, in case the team finds itself in a bind. Justin Anderson is Spurs material.

cd021
02-15-2015, 11:43 AM
I would actually like to see bertans just come over as the bonner replacement.

Then bring LJC over to be a Leonard clone but 2 inches taller. Let England work his shot like Kahwi. But he would come over as a good defender and rebounder.

He's more of a SG-SF type than a stretch forward. His comparison was Kyle Korver/Austin Daye on draftnet

cd021
02-15-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that the Spurs will use their first rounder this season. If they are planning on offering a max contract $1 million would cut further into the cap. They would only have $14.5 million in cap space, including Green and Leonard's cap holds.

Maybe they swap their pick for two second rounders (i.e. Philly's 33rd and 35th picks). I'd expect the Spurs to draft 25th or so. There are only 10 international players currently projected to get drafted 3 are in the expected to go into the lottery. If they were to have two second rounders (along with the 55th) they could use 2 or all 3 on draft and stashes.

Another option would be to package their pick along with Mills and trade up in the draft. But a lot depends on where the cap is set.

Justin Anderson would be my choice in the first round and Alex Poythress in the second round (kind of similar to LJC in terms of physical tools ,though)

BackHome
02-16-2015, 12:45 AM
Well they can just draft international the first round which would be PG/SG-George Lucas or SG - Timothe Luwawu.

So many unknowns after this season does Manu and Timmy come back and will we keep free agents CoJo, Green, and what to do with Bonner and Errors?

BackHome
02-23-2015, 11:34 PM
After four straight losses I am thinking we might go anywhere from 17 to 21 so that may change some things up a little.

Jakob Peltl - C - 7'0 - Freshman - Utah

Christian Wood - PF - 6'11 - Freshman - UNLV

Bobby Portis - PF - 6'10 - Sophomore - Arkansas

Clift Alexander - PF - 6'9 - Freshman - Kansas

yavozerb
02-27-2015, 06:43 PM
On a positive note we are now pick #20 in the coming draft, continue on.....

ace3g
03-19-2015, 06:23 PM
D'Angelo Russell NBA Comparison: Manu Ginobili (per NBADraft.net (http://t.co/Q9jmcGIsCO)) I definitely see the comparison.

First time watching him play.

PORTLAND – “I always modeled my game after Manu Ginobili,” Ohio State freshman D’Angelo Russell said Wednesday afternoon, and it was a hell of a thing to say. Ginobili is one of the most inimitable players in basketball history, a gawky mélange of no-look passes and reverse lay-ups, deadly and unique all at once.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/03/18/ohio-states-dangelo-russell-the-ncaa-tournaments-must-watch-player/

And it’s not those breathtaking bounce passes that that bring to mind Russell’s favorite NBA player and the one he’s spent untold hours studying tape of, Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-freshman-d-angelo-russell-has-surprised-even-himself-012915

AFBlue
03-21-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm enjoying watching the future NBA talent in the tourney. I've been seriously impressed with the play of the bigs at the top of the draft...especially Okafor from Duke. Dude is just a man among boys. I know there's no way the Spurs end up with him, but he and Towns are gonna be fun to watch for the next decade or so.

For the Spurs, I'd love to see them land R.J. Hunter out of Georgia St. Kid has serious game...heady coach's kid, plays hard, balls of steel, etc. His rep as an elite shooter doesn't prove out in the numbers this year, but he's been the focal point of opposing defenses and has still put up monster games. In a system that's designed to get shooters the best look, I think he'd be a great get. As one of the only quality guards in a thin backcourt draft, he might not last to the mid-20's. But if he's there I think you take him without question. Who knows...he might look good in the Ginobili role in a couple years.

jesterbobman
03-22-2015, 01:11 AM
I like Delon Wright and RJ Hunter (if he learns to shoot again) as SG options. While I'm generally a best available guy, I think it has to be considered along with the other options for players in FA, with current rights held and the rest of the team. With Anderson, LJC, Bertans, it seems the F pipeline is fairly set. PG is covered with TP/Mills for the next while.

Centre is pretty hard to target late in the draft. Not a lot of great options at 20 - Upshaw could be great if he gets his issues sorted, not sure if he'll do that on the first team he's on.

ace3g
03-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Been impressed with Sam Dekker from Wisconsin.

AFBlue
03-27-2015, 11:05 PM

He's been making his jump shots during the tourney, which is probably the biggest knock on him as a pro prospect. I don't see the Spurs targeting another SF with Kawhi and Slowmo in the fold, but I like his hustle and smarts.

vander
03-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Polish guy from Gonzaga plz

BackHome
03-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Man watching all of these NCAA games I think this draft is going to be very good and very deep. I have no idea who the Spurs will pick as I think several players can be penciled in at our draft pick..

AFBlue
03-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Draft Declarations have started rolling in....

Myles Turner, F/C from UT
Montrezl Harrell, F from Louiseville
RJ Hunter, SG from Georgia St.
Jarrell Martin, PF from LSU

All expected to go in the first round, with Turner likely in the lottery.

MateoNeygro
03-31-2015, 12:15 PM
FRANK KAMINSKY!!! GET HIM SOMEHOW!!!

Mal
04-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Denzel Valentine as Danny Green replacement

ace3g
04-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Denzel Valentine as Danny Green replacement

The Danny Green - Jeff Ayres - Austin Daye combo

cd021
04-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Man watching all of these NCAA games I think this draft is going to be very good and very deep. I have no idea who the Spurs will pick as I think several players can be penciled in at our draft pick..

Quite a few 1st round prospects have slid. Justin Anderson and Cliff Anderson were both projected to go in to the early to late 20's both are currrently projected to be early to mid second rounders now. This draft does seem pretty deep.

cd021
04-05-2015, 11:59 AM
I'm curious to see if the Spurs move their pick come draft night. A trade that would be interesting :

Spurs Get - 35th, 37th and 44th pick

76ers trade-23rd & 46th pick

76ers would have:

3rd (Philadelphia's own pick)

16th (Via Miami's ) [11th if Miami misses the playoffs, if Miami does miss the PS and their pick is 10th, then Miami keeps it]

19th (Via OKC from Denver ) [ If OKC makes the PS, then Phily gets the pick. If OKC misses the PS, then they keep it]

23rd (Via Spurs)

46th (Via Spurs)

57th (Via Houston)

60th (Via Warriors)

They would have 4 1st rounders ( within the top 23) with ,potentially, 2 lottery picks. and still have 3 second rounders, even after shipping 3 second rounders.

Plenty of 1st round talent projected to go in the second round this year. With the 35th , 37th and 44th pick, the Spurs could use two of those picks for draft n' stashes and the other for someone who can play for next season.

Justin Anderson would be a nice add with the 35th pick if he's available. He's an athletic 6'6 shooting guard with a 6'11 arm span. Very good defender and improved shooter. Should be able to guard both wing positions without issue.

pad300
04-05-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm curious to see if the Spurs move their pick come draft night. A trade that would be interesting :

Spurs Get - 35th, 37th and 44th pick

76ers trade-23rd & 46th pick

76ers would have:

3rd (Philadelphia's own pick)

16th (Via Miami's ) [11th if Miami misses the playoffs, if Miami does miss the PS and their pick is 10th, then Miami keeps it]

19th (Via OKC from Denver ) [ If OKC makes the PS, then Phily gets the pick. If OKC misses the PS, then they keep it]

23rd (Via Spurs)

46th (Via Spurs)

57th (Via Houston)

60th (Via Warriors)

They would have 4 1st rounders ( within the top 23) with ,potentially, 2 lottery picks. and still have 3 second rounders, even after shipping 3 second rounders.

Plenty of 1st round talent projected to go in the second round this year. With the 35th , 37th and 44th pick, the Spurs could use two of those picks for draft n' stashes and the other for someone who can play for next season.

Justin Anderson would be a nice add with the 35th pick if he's available. He's an athletic 6'6 shooting guard with a 6'11 arm span. Very good defender and improved shooter. Should be able to guard both wing positions without issue.

From SAS perspective not enough value for a first round pick.

From PHI they don't do it, because it leaves them with potentially 5 guys (3, 16, 19, 23 and Saric) asking for 1st round contracts guaranteed contracts next year, out of a 15 man roster! Not to mention the young kids they already have! They don't have room.

I would suggest something the other way
SAS's 2016 first (lottery protected) to PHI
for
2015 16th pick (MIA via PHI).

They get to delay a pick by a year, and hope we fall off (which could happen anytime if Duncan and Gino retire); we get a mid first pick in a deep draft, which we can hopefully pull a Kawhi with...

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-06-2015, 12:43 AM
I agree that Philly are definitely going to make deals with all those picks and won't want 4 or 5 additional rookie contracts on their roster next season but why would they be interested in a 2016 Spurs pick that could at best be 15th for this year's 16th in a deep draft? They'd surely get better offers. Also, as things stand they might not get the Miami's, OKC's and Laker's picks in this draft.

pad300
04-06-2015, 01:39 AM
I agree that Philly are definitely going to make deals with all those picks and won't want 4 or 5 additional rookie contracts on their roster next season but why would they be interested in a 2016 Spurs pick that could at best be 15th for this year's 16th in a deep draft? They'd surely get better offers. Also, as things stand they might not get the Miami's, OKC's and Laker's picks in this draft.

Don't know about "surely get better offers". I'm not sure that many GM's around the league like what Hinkie is doing, and as you say, it's pretty obvious the 76'ers need to make some sort of a deal with all those picks. That's a recipe for a lot of not very strong offers IMO.

cd021
04-06-2015, 10:08 AM

From PHI they don't do it, because it leaves them with potentially 5 guys (3, 16, 19, 23 and Saric) asking for 1st round contracts guaranteed contracts next year, out of a 15 man roster! Not to mention the young kids they already have! They don't have room.

for

They get to delay a pick by a year, and hope we fall off (which could happen anytime if Duncan and Gino retire); we get a mid first pick in a deep draft, which we can hopefully pull a Kawhi with...

Saric is apparently staying put. They only have 7 guaranteed deals next season for $28 million (only 42% of the projected cap for next season). That figure includes McGee's contract. Even if they were to hold on to all 4 picks, draft, and sign them, they would still have 4 roster spots open. They have been open to trading Embidd, maybe if they are high on another player in the top 10 they could package him with a pick and jump up.

They have the draft rights to 5 players (all taken last season in the draft).

From Phily's perspective:

-The Thunder are 50/50 on making the playoffs ahead of the Pelicans. The 76ers may not receive that Thunder pick this season.

- The 76ers would have 5 second picks for the second year in a row. Moving several of those 2nd rounders for a 1st rounder makes plenty of sense. Any time a team hordes picks, they tend to deal them to move up in a draft.

If they can move two or three second rounders for the 23rd pick, that's a good deal for a rebuilding team, who move most of its solid to good players for picks to be in a position of building through the draft. Having another stab at finding a starting caliber player or even a star is better than 3 ,top half, 2nd rounders where maybe one of them has potential for an NBA career (though, I think this draft is pretty deep so there is probably a higher success rate for 2nd rounders this year)

Having so many 1st rounders, they could package two of those 1st rounders for a higher pick. For example the Heat pick (assuming they miss the PS, making it the 11th pick) and the 19th pick for a higher lottery pick.

On the Spurs side, they could wind up stashing this pick anyway. If they use the pick that adds $1.1 million to the cap. It doesn't sound like much, but even if the cap jumps to $68.5 million and the Spurs dump Mills contract, renounce everyone except for Green and Leonard that would still put them just short of a max deal.

The Spurs may opt to stash that pick and the salary to pursue free agents and probably bring over LJC later in the off season.

An alternate version to my trade would be:

Moving the 23rd pick for the 35th, 37th and 44th pick, while holding on to the 46th pick. Maybe that's a possibility if OKC makes the PS (I'm pretty sure NOP will). That would give the Spurs 4 second rounders
from 35-46.

or the 23rd for the 35th, 37th and the draft rights to Vasilije Micic, who people were high on a an international prospect last year. He's a 6'5 PG with terrific court vision and just turned 21 a couple of months ago.

Thats a pretty good idea. That would put the Spurs in the area of getting Frank Kaminsky or they could package the 23rd to trade up in the draft.

Spurs potentially getting the 15th pick for a future pick. We'd probably would have to decrease the protection for it to make sense for Philly. Maybe top 14 next season and top 12 the year after.

Chinook
04-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Don't know about "surely get better offers". I'm not sure that many GM's around the league like what Hinkie is doing, and as you say, it's pretty obvious the 76'ers need to make some sort of a deal with all those picks. That's a recipe for a lot of not very strong offers IMO.

Yeah, but no. The Spurs' first in 2016 doesn't have any value in relation to the 16th pick this year. The Sixers could easily trade for a similar pick with their seconds. I agree they need to consolidate, but they should do that by either drafting all those guys and moving them for assets later or by simply collecting their lower firsts and going after a mid-lottery selection/young player.

If the Sixers end up with 3 and let's say 8, then I could see them looking into moving into the bottom of the first in a deal like cd021 suggested. But if they're just looking to sell 16, they'll be able to get more than what you suggest. They can just stash someone with the pick if they don't want to pay that player. Also, Saric will probably stay overseas another year or even two, so I wouldn't count on him

Richie
04-06-2015, 03:52 PM

for

Of course Philly would do that deal, 5 first rounders isn't a bad problem to have. They could easily package two or three of those later picks to move up a few spots like Chicago did last year for McDermott.

There's no way they do a pick swap for that Miami pick, we are likely to win another 50 games next year and with lottery protection they'd never get a better return than what that Miami pick is worth.

Richie
04-06-2015, 04:10 PM
As for the draft, the player I'm liking right now if we get in the low-mid 20s is Kevon Looney as a long PF who can shoot the 3 at a high level. The rest of the players I like at this spot have question marks.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - Has all the physical tools, but only shoots the 3 at 21%. Can Chip improve him or is his shooting a lost cause?

Caris LeVert - Lottery talent, has great size, length, defensive potential and shooting as well as being a high character kid with good work ethic, but he's broken the same foot twice in a year. Feet can be a career ender, is he done before he got started?

Justin Anderson - Stats and measurements look a lot like Danny Green, a 6'6" shooting guard with near 6'11" wingspan who can light it up from 3 and is known for his defence. A 3&D player who is limited in other areas, is that enough to warrant a first round pick? Could we trade down and still get him?

ace3g
04-07-2015, 07:50 PM
R.HollisJefferson @RondaeHJ23
(https://twitter.com/RondaeHJ23)Thank you to everyone that has been apart of my 2 years at Arizona.. #BearAllTheWayDown (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BearAllTheWayDown) #NeverForget (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NeverForget) #APlayersProgram (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23APlayersProgram) #FAMILY4EVER (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23FAMILY4EVER)

Seventyniner
04-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - Has all the physical tools, but only shoots the 3 at 21%. Can Chip improve him or is his shooting a lost cause?

Hell no. The first R. Jefferson from Arizona did enough damage to the Spurs.

TheCerebral1
04-10-2015, 07:26 AM
Draft Declarations have started rolling in....

Myles Turner, F/C from UT
Montrezl Harrell, F from Louiseville
RJ Hunter, SG from Georgia St.
Jarrell Martin, PF from LSU

All expected to go in the first round, with Turner likely in the lottery.

Personally love the first two names there. I would add Lyles too, but he's probably going in the teens. Hunter is interesting.

AFBlue
04-10-2015, 08:42 AM
List of Kentucky players going pro...

Karl-Anthony Towns, F/C, Top-3 pick
Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Lottery pick
Devin Booker, G/F, Lottery pick
Trey Lyles, F, Lottery to Mid-First Round pick
Dakari Johnson, C, Late First to Early Second Round pick
Andrew Harrison, G, Late First to Early Second Round pick
Aaron Harrison, SG, Second Round pick

AFBlue
04-10-2015, 12:51 PM

Reportedly entering the draft, which isn't a big surprise after his Tourney run...championship game aside.

Chinook
04-11-2015, 09:36 AM
No question in my mind that George Lucas should be the pick. Dude has everything he needs to be a great combo-guard. He just needs to acclimatize to the NBA and US. Just draft him and send him (and LJC) down to Austin for the rest of Manu's career. Think he could become a Gobert-like steal in a couple of years.

Chinook
04-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Also, submit threads for players you like. It's getting to be that time (well, it's a little past that time) where we start paying heavy attention to prospects. So don't be afraid to pimp your guy out.

BackHome
04-11-2015, 12:01 PM
I guess I will start with the draft and stash:

-George Lucas (Brazil) - PG - 6'5 - 195pds - 18yrs - Lots of potential but probably at least two years away to come to the NBA.

- Tomothe Luwawu (France) - SG - 6'7 - 205pds - 19ys - Again lots of potential can play the 2 and 3 and is a very good defender.

For players who can stash in the D-League and who might be called up.

- RJ Hunter - 6'5 SG - 21yrs - A Green type of player just not as good on defense
- Christian Wood - 6'11 PF -19yrs- Has potential just needs to show up and work on strength and weight
- Cliff Alexander - 6'9 PF/C - 254pds - Big dude who plays tough great rebounder a Big Dog with a Big Heart and has 7'3 wingspan

jyra
04-11-2015, 12:17 PM
The Hoop Summit game is today at 3 pm ET featuring George Lucas and a bunch of other prospects. I hope I can find a stream for that (WatchESPN unfortunately doesn't work outside of the US).

Invisible first half for Lucas. He made a three pointer early and didn't do anything else. He wasn't even handling the ball much as Ben Simmons was the main playmaker for the World team. I guess it's better if keeps flying under the radar.

First half boxscore:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCVg9G5UIAAszYd.jpg:large

Nothing in the second half outside of an airballed three. Just a wasted opportunity for Lucas.

exstatic
04-12-2015, 10:42 AM
The Hoop Summit game is today at 3 pm ET featuring George Lucas and a bunch of other prospects. I hope I can find a stream for that (WatchESPN unfortunately doesn't work outside of the US).

Invisible first half for Lucas. He made a three pointer early and didn't do anything else. He wasn't even handling the ball much as Ben Simmons was the main playmaker for the World team. I guess it's better if keeps flying under the radar.

First half boxscore:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCVg9G5UIAAszYd.jpg:large

Nothing in the second half outside of an airballed three. Just a wasted opportunity for Lucas.

Mahinmi and LJC ruled the NHS, and didn't really do much else to distinguish themselves going forward.

BackHome
04-12-2015, 06:08 PM
What are you thoughts on "Thon Maker" the kid is 7'0 - wingspan 7-3' - standing reach - 9-3' 18 yrs old?

ace3g
04-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Hoops Rumors @HoopsRumors
(https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors)D’Angelo Russell To Declare For Draft wp.me/p49ISN-6Kb (http://t.co/gfRFM2JaYe)

AFBlue
04-12-2015, 10:48 PM
I guess I will start with the draft and stash:

-George Lucas (Brazil) - PG - 6'5 - 195pds - 18yrs - Lots of potential but probably at least two years away to come to the NBA.

- Tomothe Luwawu (France) - SG - 6'7 - 205pds - 19ys - Again lots of potential can play the 2 and 3 and is a very good defender.

For players who can stash in the D-League and who might be called up.

- RJ Hunter - 6'5 SG - 21yrs - A Green type of player just not as good on defense
- Christian Wood - 6'11 PF -19yrs- Has potential just needs to show up and work on strength and weight
- Cliff Alexander - 6'9 PF/C - 254pds - Big dude who plays tough great rebounder a Big Dog with a Big Heart and has 7'3 wingspan

Yes to any of these guys. As late first rounders they'd be good value.

Uriel
04-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Mahinmi and LJC ruled the NHS, and didn't really do much else to distinguish themselves going forward.
Dangubic was also the MVP of the adidas EuroCamp, so we know the Spurs place a lot of stock on events like these.

Chinook
04-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Dangubic was also the MVP of the adidas EuroCamp, so we know the Spurs place a lot of stock on events like these.

I wonder if he dogged it in the workouts because he already has a promise from someone. I could see the Spurs telling him to put up a bad showing, because with his measureables, there's no way he'd fall to the bottom of the first if he put up a good NHS.

stnick2261
04-13-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure who I will really want when draft time comes, but this is a list of my early interests. I know they are everywhere across the board at the moment (ie. Gary Payton II is projected undrafted in 2016).

George Lucas - 6'6" PG w/ 7' wingspan
Gary Payton II - 6'3" PG - late bloomer... great defense but needs to work on his shot
Cameron Payne - 6'3" PG, plays the Pick n' roll great but has a hard time defending it.
Kevin Looney - 6'9" PF w/ 7'1" wingspan
Chris McCullough - 6'9" PF w/ 7'3" wingspan
Moussa Diagne - 6'11" C w/ 7'4" wingspan - great rebounder / defense... terrific speed, very active

AFBlue
04-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Justin Anderson, one of the favorite targets of many ST draft hawks, is reportedly declaring for the draft. He profiles as a 3&D role player in the league...a good complimentary piece that should be available in the late first.

cd021
04-15-2015, 08:23 AM
What are you thoughts on "Thon Maker" the kid is 7'0 - wingspan 7-3' - standing reach - 9-3' 18 yrs old?

Think he will be eligible for the '16 draft. From that mixtape i saw, he has the skills of a guard. Probably a top 10 pick.

cd021
04-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Justin Anderson, one of the favorite targets of many ST draft hawks, is reportedly declaring for the draft. He profiles as a 3&D role player in the league...a good complimentary piece that should be available in the late first.

That would be a good pick. Athletic and pretty long, very good defender. Watched him play this past season, looked good. He seems like he will be an early 2nd rounder. Was projected to go in the early 20's but injuries made him miss like a month of the season.

Green, Kawhi, K. Anderson, & J. Anderson. Thats a big wing rotation

AFBlue
04-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Tyus Jones, PG of the national champions, declared for the draft today. He's probably a late first round pick because of his lack of elite size or athleticism...but the kid is a gamer that came up big in the biggest game of his career. Interesting sleeper pick for the Spurs IMO.

DrunkTXLabrat
04-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Tyus Jones, PG of the national champions, declared for the draft today. He's probably a late first round pick because of his lack of elite size or athleticism...but the kid is a gamer that came up big in the biggest game of his career. Interesting sleeper pick for the Spurs IMO.

i feel the same way about him. if the spurs would rather trade Joseph than pay him, Jones would be a nice pick.

DrunkTXLabrat
04-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I think the Spurs need to draft a big. Big rotation of the future: Timmy gets a lot of rest, if he doesn't retire. Tiago is often injured. Baynes is better than Ayers... but i don't think either is young or talented enough to even fill the void of a Tiago injury, forget the void of Timmy's retirement. If the Spurs don't draft a big, their head is even farther up their Ayers than i thought.

DrunkTXLabrat
04-16-2015, 04:41 PM
If they can't move up enough to draft Kaminsky. i think they should go with a young foreigner. One with the big hands, wide wingspan, and deep/post season clutch performance on the resume.

CGD
04-17-2015, 12:32 PM
^ Agree on Kaminsky. On top of that I think Olynyk 2.0 is going to go higher than he probably should.

Silver lining about being the 6 seed is that we're picking at 22 this year (as opposed to 28). I like Justin Anderson there as a Danny Green leaving/Manu retirement insurance plan.

yavozerb
04-17-2015, 12:59 PM
^ Agree on Kaminsky. On top of that I think Olynyk 2.0 is going to go higher than he probably should.

Silver lining about being the 6 seed is that we're picking at 22 this year (as opposed to 28). I like Justin Anderson there as a Danny Green leaving/Manu retirement insurance plan.

We well be picking 25 or 26...

AFBlue
04-17-2015, 06:33 PM
We well be picking 25 or 26...

They lost the tie-breaker with Memphis and will officially be picking #26.

BackHome
04-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Well drafting at 26 I would go towards taking someone with a lot of upside so my picks would go to:

- Christian Wood - 6'11 PF -19yrs- Has potential just needs to show up and work on strength and weight a shot blocker "yeah"

Would like to trade up with Philly they have like 5 second round pick:

-Cedi Osman - 6'8 SG -Turkey - Great size can play 2 and 3 has good handles and a good baller
-Amida Brimah - 7'0 - C - UConn - Great motor and lots of potential watched vids not that far off -One to watch..Shot Blocker "Yeah"
- J.P. Tokoto - 6'5 - SF - Love watching this kid get to he rim and dunk...Call me Old School but I Like..
-

CGD
04-18-2015, 06:36 PM
They lost the tie-breaker with Memphis and will officially be picking #26.

Thanks for clarifying. Seems wrong that Portland gets to double dip the chip by not only getting the higher seed due to winning the division AND the better pick by having a shittier record. I know it's only a matter of a few picks in the 20s, but still...

AFBlue
04-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Part of me thinks Green will be gone next year. And even though you can't easily replace him, I think the Spurs will go for a more ready prospect. Guys like Anderson and Hunter would seem to be surer bets than Luwawu or Wood. I trust the Spurs with either approach, but my gut tells me they'll shy away from the draft-n-stash route this year.

jesterbobman
04-18-2015, 10:33 PM
I think there are a few elements that are included in Spurs draft analysis
Stats- Basically always draft a guy who stats love in the 1st.
Length - For me, this is from the 2011 draft after Memphis - RC talked about positional size, in being big by position after the 2011 draft. Kawhi is huge, LJC, Bertans are long, Anderson really long.
Some care about all star events - I think this is meant to be capturing how well guys do fitting into new situations (Proxy for IQ? Not sure how much they actually tell us)

Guys around 26 (depending on the mock) who have done well in stat projections and have decent size/length.
Peltons (Chad Ford Big Board 8.2 rank, DX top 100 rank)
Delon Wright (27, 29)
RJ Hunter (19, 27)
Christian Wood (28, 26)
Michael Frazier (65, 58) might be a little short. Good round 2 target.

If you look at Layne Vashro's stuff (http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/layne-vashros-draft-projection-tools/ ), Kevin Looney becomes a semi decent option, though that's only because DX has Looney at 20, rather than ~top 10. I think 10 is more likely.

There's normally a few more guys who fit into those categories, but the number who fit will probably fall over time, as teams get smarter.

If none of those guys are available, I'd trust the Spurs scouting on Lucas or someone similar. We don't have great numbers of Euro guys, mostly as a result of smaller samples, so there is a lot more uncertainty around whether the guys who look bad by numbers will end up good.

BackHome
04-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Part of me thinks Green will be gone next year. And even though you can't easily replace him, I think the Spurs will go for a more ready prospect. Guys like Anderson and Hunter would seem to be surer bets than Luwawu or Wood. I trust the Spurs with either approach, but my gut tells me they'll shy away from the draft-n-stash route this year.

Yeah my gut is telling me the same..lol.....I keep thinking he is going to go back to Cleveland to play with his bud Lebron. As far as Anderson and Hunter those two are safe picks I wouldn't be upset if they were drafted.

I still though want to move up in the second and get Cedi Osmon or Amida Brimah

bluebellmaniac
04-19-2015, 10:27 AM

I doubt that many slots will be open. Would be a good year for draft-n-stash...

BackHome
04-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Man we have so many players we need to sign this summer it's crazy which makes it even tougher to figure out who might get drafted.

SG - Manu, Green, Marco
PF - Timmy
C - Banger - I would sign who can we get that is better?
PG - CoJo - I would sign if it is the right price

For Sure Gone:
1. Bonner takes a desk in organization ..:)
2. Errors - Sorry but no upside at all

Chinook
04-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Man we have so many players we need to sign this summer it's crazy which makes it even tougher to figure out who might get drafted.

SG - Manu, Green, Marco
PF - Timmy
C - Banger - I would sign who can we get that is better?
PG - CoJo - I would sign if it is the right price

For Sure Gone:
1. Bonner takes a desk in organization ..:)
2. Errors - Sorry but no upside at all

I dunno why so many folks think Bonner's gone for sure. Especially if the rest of the band returns, he's likely to stay around. Williams on the other hand is a for sure goner, at least in the sense that he doesn't project to have a spot now and wouldn't prevent anyone from coming over.

AFBlue
04-19-2015, 06:53 PM
I doubt that many slots will be open. Would be a good year for draft-n-stash...

Impending free agents on the Spurs and their chances of returning...

Ayers - He Gone
Reggie - He Gone
Baynes - Even
Duncan - Even
CoJo - Less than Even
Ginobili - Less than Even
Green - Less than Even

You also have to look at the landscape of Spurs prospects in the pipeline. The ones with a legit long-term potential are either injured or are still developing after being slowed by one. Point is, there should be plenty of opportunity if the Spurs draft a more developed domestic player.

BackHome
04-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks Chinook I forgot about Williams who I have no idea why he was signed? Good point Blue all of the Spurs projects well are still projects. I don't see anyone coming in and making any type of impact on the team next year.
Your right as far as plug in players would be Hunter and Anderson a question do you see Anderson being able to be on the floor with Kawhi at the same time or do you see him just being his backup? The more video I watch of Anderson the more I like him he seem to be Spurs type of player attitude and work ethic etc...

AFBlue
04-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Another guy that's probably "buy low" because of injury concerns is Caris LaVert, G/F out of Michigan. He combines a silky smooth jumper with good athleticism and feel for the game. Could be a good opion if the docs clear him.

BackHome
04-19-2015, 07:22 PM
I still get flashbacks from the kid from OK what was his name...Anderson? I would not touch him with him breaking the same foot twice I just don't see him having a NBA career with that type of injury on the same foot.

Chinook
04-19-2015, 08:12 PM

Ayers - He Gone
Reggie - He Gone
Baynes - Even
Duncan - Even
CoJo - Less than Even
Green - Less than Even

You also have to look at the landscape of Spurs prospects in the pipeline. The ones with a legit long-term potential are either injured or are still developing after being slowed by one. Point is, there should be plenty of opportunity if the Spurs draft a more developed domestic player.

I have no idea why you think Green AND Manu are less than even. I could see you saying that the Spurs would only keep one, but there's no way the team loses both. If Manu retires, the Spurs will back up the truck for Danny. The only way he's not in SA next year (provided he wants to return) is if the Spurs feel they can moneyball his starting role and know Manu is there for the bench. Without Manu, the starting SG will play 32-36 minutes, and Danny is worth whatever he gets on the market if he can get those minutes.

Seriously, people are wondering if the Spurs would be willing to offer Green a contract that will be less than 1/10 of the cap by the time it expires.

AFBlue
04-19-2015, 09:00 PM
I have no idea why you think Green AND Manu are less than even. I could see you saying that the Spurs would only keep one, but there's no way the team loses both. If Manu retires, the Spurs will back up the truck for Danny. The only way he's not in SA next year (provided he wants to return) is if the Spurs feel they can moneyball his starting role and know Manu is there for the bench. Without Manu, the starting SG will play 32-36 minutes, and Danny is worth whatever he gets on the market if he can get those minutes.

Seriously, people are wondering if the Spurs would be willing to offer Green a contract that will be less than 1/10 of the cap by the time it expires.

The odds weren't mutually exclusive, but I actually don't see the correlation between the Manu and Danny decisions...different roles entirely. I just think Green is in for a BIG payday and am not sure I see the Spurs forking over the cash needed to keep him if they have to address other holes.

AFBlue
04-19-2015, 09:08 PM

BTW, I wasn't trying to turn this into a Spurs free agency thread...just refuting the argument that the Spurs should go draft-and-stash b/c roster spots will be hard to come by. I just don't see it. Whether a different mystic draftee would see much of the court in year one is another matter, but I think the slot and opportunity should be there.

bluebellmaniac
04-19-2015, 09:16 PM

Ayers - He Gone
Reggie - He Gone
Baynes - Even
Duncan - Even
CoJo - Less than Even
Green - Less than Even

Here's where I think we are at...
Ayers... Gone.
Reggie... Gone
Baynes... We want him back. We need his minutes and he's finally getting the system down.
Duncan... Back for 2 more years
Cojo... We need the depth he provides and to give TP rest. His contract, like any others signed for next year will be a bargain in 2 years.
Manu... Up to him. If he has a good playoff, he's stated he could do 1 more. We will soon see.
Green... Of course we re-sign him.
Bonner... With Bertans injury, we need the Red Rocket one more year.. or so Pop will think...

So I see only 2 highly probable open slots, and LJC is slated for one of those. I don't think we plug up the last slot with a guaranteed contract for a rookie. We stash in that case, unless we work a deal to move up in the draft, but that would probably also move a player as well, ala George Hill.

Also, I see Beli as Even on returning. We could look for a FA upgrade at his position.

DrunkTXLabrat
04-21-2015, 06:14 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Frank-Kaminsky-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-4920/

i haven't seen the scouting video yet. But i think i'm already ready to hitch my "wagon" to a "trade up for Kaminsky horse." This guy would be an old rookie, that has to do something for Pop. He has his team surprising people in the tourney consistently. The spurs need to replace Bonner. Let's get a floor spacing big man that could pickle Deandre Jordan/Ibaka types like a real Dirk 2.0.

DrunkTXLabrat
04-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Towns has some talent, put him in on that Minny roster. It sure would be nice for my favorite western team to have the guy who got the best of Towns, that one year in college.

AFBlue
04-21-2015, 08:36 PM
FWIW, ESPN's Chad Ford updated his first round Mock Draft...had the Spurs taking Justin Anderson. Here's the blurb on the pick, even though the rest of the article is behind the pay wall.

Link: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/mockdraft?source=chad-ford-mock-draft-&version=4&season=2015&src=desktop

The Spurs are facing a pretty huge fork in the road this summer, when most of the team hits free agency. Some, such as Tim Duncan and even Manu Ginobili, could end up retiring. Others, such as Danny Green, might be too expensive to re-sign. Anderson seems to be a great get here -- especially if those elite 3-point shooting numbers he put up all season aren't a fluke. He has NBA athleticism and strength; if he can become a "3 and D" guy in the NBA, he has a lot of value.

Take it with a grain of salt at this point, but Ford is one of the few that accounts for need or fit this early in the process.

Uriel
04-21-2015, 09:48 PM
FWIW, ESPN's Chad Ford updated his first round Mock Draft...had the Spurs taking Justin Anderson. Here's the blurb on the pick, even though the rest of the article is behind the pay wall.

Link: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/mockdraft?source=chad-ford-mock-draft-&version=4&season=2015&src=desktop

Take it with a grain of salt at this point, but Ford is one of the few that accounts for need or fit this early in the process.
Thanks. :tu Would appreciate it if you could do this as well for subsequent Ford Mock Drafts.

:bobo

loveforthegame
04-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Justin Anderson is my pick. Love his game and believe he could flourish with the Spurs.

FireMicoHalili
04-22-2015, 11:26 AM
the last time the Spurs picked a J Anderson it went really well for them

AFBlue
04-22-2015, 06:57 PM
the last time the Spurs picked a J Anderson it went really well for them

He was playing legit ball for the Spurs prior to his foot injuries. It really stunted his career. Not that it has any correlation with this J. Anderson, but I think the kid gets a pretty unfairly bad rap. Keep in mind, he was drafted at #22...not like he was a "franchise" guy that busted hard.

cd021
04-23-2015, 08:29 AM
I mentioned early about possible trades involving our pick. Minny has two early second rounders and Flip mentioned that they could move either or both (maybe for a higher pick)

Two possible scenarios:

-Spurs trade the 26th pick for the 31st and 36th pick.

The Wolves move up 5 spots, adding a second 1st round pick. They have plenty of young prospects. Minnesota maybe willing to move both picks to draft a player in the mid twenties as opposed to two adding two more young player to their roster.

The Spurs- Turn their pick into 2 high second rounders in addition to their 52nd pick. Players such as George Lucas, Justin Anderson, or Cliff Alexander could fall to them in the second round (some sites have them as late 1sts or early second rounders). They could stash one of them and sign the other to a favorable deal (like the Dejuan Blair deal).

or

26th pick + Patty Mills for the 31st and 36th pick.

If the Spurs are planning to a offer max contract, moving Mills need have to happen. The Spurs would have to renounce everyone except KL & Green but could resign Cojo using the room exception (if I'm not mistaken) that would give them around $19.2 million to offer L.A or Aldridge.

cd021
04-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Here's where I think we are at...
Ayers... Gone.
Reggie... Gone
Baynes... We want him back. We need his minutes and he's finally getting the system down.
Duncan... Back for 2 more years
Cojo... We need the depth he provides and to give TP rest. His contract, like any others signed for next year will be a bargain in 2 years.
Manu... Up to him. If he has a good playoff, he's stated he could do 1 more. We will soon see.
Green... Of course we re-sign him.
Bonner... With Bertans injury, we need the Red Rocket one more year.. or so Pop will think...

So I see only 2 highly probable open slots, and LJC is slated for one of those. I don't think we plug up the last slot with a guaranteed contract for a rookie. We stash in that case, unless we work a deal to move up in the draft, but that would probably also move a player as well, ala George Hill.

Also, I see Beli as Even on returning. We could look for a FA upgrade at his position.

If Duncan comes back then yes to Baynes and Cojo. If not I think the Spurs will renounce everyone except for KL & DG. Not so sure about Beli. He doesn't have bird rights so we would either need to use cap space, room exception or the M.L.E or the Bi if we go over the cap.

ace3g
04-23-2015, 09:26 PM
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Saying it was the toughest decision of his life, Arizona (http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/arizona-wildcats-team) freshman Stanley Johnson said he is ready for what's ahead, declaring for the NBA Draft on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-wildcats-stanley-johnson-nba-draft-one-and-done-042315?adbid=10153825008979552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551&adbsc=social_20150424_44574416&short_code=2v4zg

AFBlue
04-23-2015, 10:30 PM
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Saying it was the toughest decision of his life, Arizona (http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/arizona-wildcats-team) freshman Stanley Johnson said he is ready for what's ahead, declaring for the NBA Draft on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-wildcats-stanley-johnson-nba-draft-one-and-done-042315?adbid=10153825008979552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551&adbsc=social_20150424_44574416&short_code=2v4zg

Kid is a lottery pick.

Richie
04-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Do you think Mills is valuable enough to package with our pick to move up in the draft? I'm not sure who would be interested, maybe Dallas at 21? Is he valuable enough to give us a real jump like Jazz at 12? Would Lakers, Celtics or Brooklyn give up their late first (27-29 respectively) for just him?

Edit: I also wonder if we could get the Rockets #18 (from Pelicans) for him straight up. He fits their team perfectly and would be great situationally in tandem with Beverley for offense/defense. It might be such a good fit that I might not do it, Mills would really improve the Rockets.

It's a risk but I feel as if he will be the one to lose out if we go looking for free agents, do we gamble and get a pick for him while we can and trade up? Or would he be worth a future first in the summer regardless?

eDizzle20
04-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Do you think Mills is valuable enough to package with our pick to move up in the draft? I'm not sure who would be interested, maybe Dallas at 21? Is he valuable enough to give us a real jump like Jazz at 12? Would Lakers, Celtics or Brooklyn give up their late first (27-29 respectively) for just him?

Edit: I also wonder if we could get the Rockets #18 (from Pelicans) for him straight up. He fits their team perfectly and would be great situationally in tandem with Beverley for offense/defense. It might be such a good fit that I might not do it, Mills would really improve the Rockets.

It's a risk but I feel as if he will be the one to lose out if we go looking for free agents, do we gamble and get a pick for him while we can and trade up? Or would he be worth a future first in the summer regardless?

Patty is too good and his contract is too cheap, not to mention Cojo is a restricted free agent. Teams that are drafting in the teens are looking to build for the future and probably looking for more upside.

cd021
04-27-2015, 04:06 AM

The Rockets does make sense in terms of fit. He could replace both Prigioni and Terry who are going to 37 next season. But moving him for the 18th pick seems a bit high. I'd be looking to Minnesota and the 31st or 36th pick. The Spurs are probably going to use their 1st rounder on someone like George Lucas. Adding a high second rounder for Mills (who they would have to shed if they want to offer a near max contract) would be more likely that a first rounder.

Justin Anderson, or Cliff Alexander could slide to one of those picks or the Spurs could use it to stash Timothe Luwawu. Draft Express compared him to Danny Green He will have just turned 20 by draft day.

"
Standing 6-7, he has long arms, big hands, a good frame, and excellent athletic ability. He's a versatile player who shows a nice framework of skills in virtually all facets of the games, be it with his ability to create off the dribble, find the open man, make shots from the perimeter, or defend a few different positions. "

They would still have the 52nd pick as well. In that scenario they could draft n' stash 3 players and clear cap space. After they use the cap space they can bring over LJC.

Cklbmk
04-27-2015, 04:09 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Frank-Kaminsky-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-4920/

i haven't seen the scouting video yet. But i think i'm already ready to hitch my "wagon" to a "trade up for Kaminsky horse." This guy would be an old rookie, that has to do something for Pop. He has his team surprising people in the tourney consistently. The spurs need to replace Bonner. Let's get a floor spacing big man that could pickle Deandre Jordan/Ibaka types like a real Dirk 2.0.

I agree with this. I'm sold on him hard.

Cklbmk
04-27-2015, 04:52 AM
If Duncan comes back then yes to Baynes and Cojo. If not I think the Spurs will renounce everyone except for KL & DG. Not so sure about Beli. He doesn't have bird rights so we would either need to use cap space, room exception or the M.L.E or the Bi if we go over the cap.

Marco had an interview a few months back saying this next contract was going to be about money because he needed to get a bigger contract before his career ended.

I don't see the Spurs offering him that much for the role that he would be playing. I think he goes elsewhere for 4-5mil a year

Cklbmk
04-27-2015, 04:57 AM
I'm thinking package Mills + 26 + future pick or our 2nd for Kaminsky.

Or if we get Aldridge offer up Tiago + 26th for Kaminsky

I think the rockets might give up 18 for Mills + 26.

Maybe Atlanta gives up 15 for Splitter + 26

Could we get Pacers to do Mills + Splitter + 26th for 11?

Bucks might give up 17 for Splitter or Celtics give up 16 for Splitter. Splitter would fit damn well on the Celtics

AFBlue
04-27-2015, 07:13 AM
I'm thinking package Mills + 26 + future pick or our 2nd for Kaminsky.

Or if we get Aldridge offer up Tiago + 26th for Kaminsky

I think the rockets might give up 18 for Mills + 26.

Maybe Atlanta gives up 15 for Splitter + 26

Could we get Pacers to do Mills + Splitter + 26th for 11?

Bucks might give up 17 for Splitter or Celtics give up 16 for Splitter. Splitter would fit damn well on the Celtics

Spurs won't know where they stand with any free agents (other than maybe a verbal from their own) by the time the draft occurs. So any decision they make on trading players during it will be independent of free agency. That's not to say they wouldn't be open to trading anyone on their roster, but it does introduce risk of not being able to fill the gap left by their departure.

Personally, I think trading Mills would be too risky due to the restricted status of CoJo and concerns over Tony's decline. And Splitter might not net you a decent return because of his lingering injury concerns.

CGD
04-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Spurs won't know where they stand with any free agents (other than maybe a verbal from their own) by the time the draft occurs. So any decision they make on trading players during it will be independent of free agency. That's not to say they wouldn't be open to trading anyone on their roster, but it does introduce risk of not being able to fill the gap left by their departure.

Personally, I think trading Mills would be too risky due to the restricted status of CoJo and concerns over Tony's decline. And Splitter might not net you a decent return because of his lingering injury concerns.

This is a good point. I'd only add that a desire to open up as much space as possible might mean a draft-and-stash and/or trading down to get out of the first round. To the extent there is trading up to get someone, you have to think the move would also be made with idea of freeing up cap space (e.g., moving Mills, Cojo).

DrunkTXLabrat
04-27-2015, 02:42 PM
why not try trading for Kaminsky using picks alone? a group of post-Timmy 2nds should be pretty appealing. i would even happily be on board a single post-Timmy 1st.

Cklbmk
04-27-2015, 03:06 PM
why not try trading for Kaminsky using picks alone? a group of post-Timmy 2nds should be pretty appealing. i would even happily be on board a single post-Timmy 1st.

If that could get it done its a no brainer imo..

I'm just not sure it does.

Maybe 26 + 2017 lotto protected 1st with declining protection each year

DrunkTXLabrat
04-27-2015, 05:09 PM
If that could get it done its a no brainer imo..

I'm just not sure it does.

Maybe 26 + 2017 lotto protected 1st with declining protection each year

that's golden!

BackHome
04-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Yeah it looks just like Pee.....:(

cd021
04-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Marco had an interview a few months back saying this next contract was going to be about money because he needed to get a bigger contract before his career ended.

I don't see the Spurs offering him that much for the role that he would be playing. I think he goes elsewhere for 4-5mil a year

Yeah its hard to see him back. Using the MLE is a bit of a waste, on him at least. I'd rather give Anderson a chance at the backup 3 or have Green play more minutes with the second unit. Thats only if Duncan and Manu return though. I could see him heading east, plenty of teams that could use his shooting (Washington, Charlotte, Indiana).

BackHome
04-27-2015, 10:06 PM
If Manu retires and Beli leaves then no way do you sign your last SG who can't dribble the ball and score in the paint..Say bye bye Danny Boy...

cd021
04-27-2015, 11:03 PM

Cojo probably won't even get an offer in RFA. Teams seldom offer deals to role players that are restricted. Neal came off a big Finals performance and didn't get an offer sheet for a month. Spurs cut him loose and he signed with Milwaukee a few days later. Kantor, Leonard, (Tris) Thompson, Draymond Green) and Jackson are all RFAs this off season. Thats not including a solid FA list.

Moving Mills is necessary if the Spurs want to clear out enough for a max contract.

Splitter, when healthy, is an elite defender and an above average offensive player. He's only 30 (young for a center) and on a descending contract.

Atlanta would be a good trade partner. Atlanta gives up the 15th pick for Splitter.

They could absorb his contract ($47.8 Million to 9 players including Splitter) and still have between $18.5- $19.3 million to resign Milsap and Carroll.

He would come off the bench, minimizing his chance of injury as the 3rd big.

Spurs pick up a second first rounder. and Clear out $25.5 million in cap (including cap holds to KL & DG) if you include cap holds for the 5 empty roster spots its $23.5 million. Spurs could keep Mills in that scenario.

lmbebo
04-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Hard to replace Splitter. Not many big men out there. Thats how Splitter got his deal in the first place. Wouldn't be so quick to dump.

Richie
04-30-2015, 01:58 PM

Kaminsky will be a late lottery pick, nobody is going to give up that for #26 and a non-lottery 1st in the future.

Richie
04-30-2015, 06:50 PM
How about Mills for Bucks #17? They are crying out for some shooting, he could really help them and they might want someone with some playoff experience considering how many guys they have still on their rookie deals

AFBlue
05-01-2015, 05:49 PM
How about Mills for Bucks #17? They are crying out for some shooting, he could really help them and they might want someone with some playoff experience considering how many guys they have still on their rookie deals

Who are they targeting just outside the lottery? Or rather, who would you target of you were the Spurs?

AFBlue
05-01-2015, 08:51 PM
DX came out with their first mock draft that accounts for roster needs of the teams and provides an explanation of the pick. With the 26th pick, the San Antonio Spurs select...

26. Christian Wood
PF (UNLV - Sophomore)
19.5 years old | 6'11" | 220 lbs

2013-14 NCAA (31 GP)
15.5 PPG 9.8 RPG 1.2 APG 25.1 PER

Tim Duncan is an ageless wonder, but the Spurs could certainly use some frontcourt depth, with the likes of Aron Baynes, Matt Bonner and Jeff Ayres all entering free agency this summer. 6-11, with long arms and a soft tough, Christian Wood is talented enough to get drafted much higher than this, and the Spurs could afford to be patient and develop him.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3YwSUGMD9
http://www.draftexpress.com

AFBlue
05-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Of note, Anderson and Hunter had both come off the board earlier in the 20's in this mock draft.

Richie
05-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Who are they targeting just outside the lottery? Or rather, who would you target of you were the Spurs?

It's so tough to predict who is going to rise and fall, but Dekker would be an option at that point in the draft. I'd actually rather make it a 3 team trade and package #17 and #26 to move up to #12 for someone like Kaminsky or Johnson.

loveforthegame
05-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Of note, Anderson and Hunter had both come off the board earlier in the 20's in this mock draft.

I'll be shocked if Anderson is still on the board when we pick. Bums me because he's my number 1 choice.

intlspurshk
05-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Not sure why Kaminsky would be appealing. Too many soft player in the current lineup. SPURS needs more power and strength at PF/C to grab rebound and box out.

Baam
05-03-2015, 07:28 AM

They got Giannis at 15, no way they're trading that pick for Mills...

Baam
05-03-2015, 07:44 AM
I think they should try to flip picks for Saric, his contract situation and his mafia ties may start to worry the Sixers and we know they have no hesitation when it comes to flipping assets if they have doubts like we saw with MCW...

Saric
Kawhi
Green
Anderson

That'd be an awesome core, passing porn all over the place...

bluebellmaniac
05-03-2015, 10:59 AM
I think they should try to flip picks for Saric, his contract situation and his mafia ties may start to worry the Sixers and we know they have no hesitation when it comes to flipping assets if they have doubts like we saw with MCW...

Saric
Kawhi
Green
Anderson

That'd be an awesome core, passing porn all over the place...

I missed the part on why we would want someone with mafia ties... ????

cjw
05-03-2015, 01:40 PM
They got Giannis at 15, no way they're trading that pick for Mills...

Mills is a bargain contract. Decent backup PGs and bench scoring guards often command the MLE. Mills is getting paid half of that for two more years. Better to look at the PG position being solidified at $17 million for next year instead of bifurcating Parker and Mills - it'll make people feel better.

Also, reason Milwaukee doesn't trade for Mills is he doesn't fit their size/length preferences at the guard/wing positions. Spurs got Kawhi at 15, Bucks got Giannis at 15, but the 15th pick is typically a borderline starter:

2007 Rodney Stuckey (Al Thorton / Nick Young around him)
2008 Robin Lopez (Anthony Randolph / Mo Speights)
2009 Austin Daye (Earl Clark / James Jones, though three good PGs drafted right after those guys in Holiday, Lawson, teague)
2010 Larry Sanders (Patrick Patterson / Luke Babbitt)
2012 Mo Harkless (John Henson / Royce White)

2011 with Kawhi (Marcus Morris / Vuc) is the one exception of good players being drafted in that range. 2013 was Giannis, with Shabbazz Muhammed and that Nogueira guy around him. Last year, Nurkic went 16th.

Either way, hit rate is not great at this range so if I thought Mills would take me over the hump and I didn't have cap space, I'd trade a mid-first for him. If the Thunder weren't a rival, that would be an ideal landing spot for him.

ace3g
05-04-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm still on the Dekker bandwagon.

objective
05-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Luka Mitrovic is draft eligible and is in the 80s of DX's top 100. He's a teammate of Dangubic on Cvrena Zvezda and actually usually plays more. He's a big SF or smallball 4, maybe 6-8, 6-9. Listed at the same height as Dangubic but clearly bigger.

Might be worth a second round pick. Kind of a heavy legged Casspi maybe? Can shoot threes, but not like a Bertans, can make plays a little, not especially explosive.

Chinook
05-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Anyone talking about Aaron White yet? Dude seems like a young McRoberts. Just needs to work on his shot. I know he probably wouldn't make it on the current roster, but I like his game and developmental curve.

AFBlue
05-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Chad Ford released a "Grade A" mock draft for each team where he represented each team as GM and made the selection based on best available and team need. The article is behind the pay wall, and it's really only one man's opinion...but it's more fun debate fodder.

So, without further ado, here's the Spurs "Grade A" mock...

Needs: SG, PF

Round 1 (26) Justin Anderson, G/F, Jr., Virginia
Round 2 (55) Richaun Holmes, PF, Sr., Bowling Green

Analysis: I want to believe that Anderson is closer to the 50 percent 3-point shooter he was this past season than the 30 percent 3-point shooter he was a freshman and sophomore. I want to believe it, but by his place on the board, it's clear I'm struggling. What I also want to believe is that if I'm the Spurs' GM, he'll automatically turn into that 50 percent shooter just because of our culture. Guys don't come to the Spurs and fail. As for Holmes, I've been watching tape on him since his breakout performance at Portsmouth and I'm intrigued. He's definitely far from a sure thing, but then again, if we're the Spurs, he'll be an All-Star in five seasons.

jesterbobman
05-11-2015, 02:02 AM
Anyone talking about Aaron White yet? Dude seems like a young McRoberts. Just needs to work on his shot. I know he probably wouldn't make it on the current roster, but I like his game and developmental curve.

Don't mind him in the second, as he's a bunch of minor improvements away from being useful. FT shooting accuracy a good sign for development of 3pt shooting which would make him a Bonner/ McRoberts type. He's a little T-Rexy so measurements at the combine will be interesting.

Other Bigs there I like a little are Moussa Diagne (C prospect), Jordan Mickey (Though not sure if he fits either PF or C) and Satnam Singh(taking the Giant who is apparently in decent shape).

monkeypunk
05-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Spurs looking for the next sg to replace... someone?

Spurs to work out Pat Connaughton
http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/160822/spurs-to-work-out-pat-connaughton.html

alfahdlan
05-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Great find. Good start for next season.

Uriel
05-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Chad Ford released a "Grade A" mock draft for each team where he represented each team as GM and made the selection based on best available and team need. The article is behind the pay wall, and it's really only one man's opinion...but it's more fun debate fodder.

So, without further ado, here's the Spurs "Grade A" mock...

Needs: SG, PF

Round 1 (26) Justin Anderson, G/F, Jr., Virginia
Round 2 (55) Richaun Holmes, PF, Sr., Bowling Green

Analysis: I want to believe that Anderson is closer to the 50 percent 3-point shooter he was this past season than the 30 percent 3-point shooter he was a freshman and sophomore. I want to believe it, but by his place on the board, it's clear I'm struggling. What I also want to believe is that if I'm the Spurs' GM, he'll automatically turn into that 50 percent shooter just because of our culture. Guys don't come to the Spurs and fail. As for Holmes, I've been watching tape on him since his breakout performance at Portsmouth and I'm intrigued. He's definitely far from a sure thing, but then again, if we're the Spurs, he'll be an All-Star in five seasons.
Gotta love how much respect Chad Ford has for the Spurs. :lol

cd021
05-12-2015, 10:00 PM

The Hornets make some since. Terrible spacing with Walker, Henderson and Stephenson (actually set the record for worst 3pt % in NBA history last season) but they have the 9th pick so that's a bit far fetched ,to say the least.

AFBlue
05-13-2015, 08:37 PM
DX posted the combine measurements...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2015&source=NBA+Draft+Combine&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

ace3g
05-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Chad Ford @chadfordinsider
(https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider)Hollis-Jefferson 38" max vertical. Kelly Oubre 37". Sam Dekker 34.5". Cameron Payne 35.5". RJ Hunter 33.5". Tyus Jones 32.5"

ace3g
05-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Spurs looking for the next sg to replace... someone?

Spurs to work out Pat Connaughton
http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/160822/spurs-to-work-out-pat-connaughton.html

Now I know why Spurs worked him out...

Bleacher Report @BleacherReport
(https://twitter.com/BleacherReport)
VIDEO: ND’s Pat Connaughton posted a 44-inch max vertical leap at the 2015 NBA Draft Combine ble.ac/1cBM61v (http://t.co/Tk8jicsroh) pic.twitter.com/gWc2SJzXhh (http://t.co/gWc2SJzXhh)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE_-OkIUIAASH7K.jpg:large https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE_-MoAUkAASHX8.jpg:large

DesignatedT
05-14-2015, 08:10 PM
No kiddin... 44' vert and a 90 mph fastball. Sick.

Uriel
05-14-2015, 08:43 PM
If anyone with ESPN Insider could post this article, I would really appreciate it. :toast

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12884623/the-dire-state-nba-draft-combine-5-5-2015-nba-draft

exstatic
05-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Don't be wowed by a monster vert. Many of the guys that pop them at the combine never make the league. DX has Connaughton ranked as their #98 overall prospect. He'd have to move up almost 40 spots just to get drafted.

SA's interest could be for Austin Spurs material.

ace3g
05-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Candace Buckner @CandaceDBuckner
(https://twitter.com/CandaceDBuckner)Quinn Cook, of Nat'l Champion Duke, said #Pacers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pacers) are one of this six upcoming workouts. His first one will be w/ #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs).

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria (https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria) 27m27 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/599348823551533056) Chicago, IL (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A1d9a5370a355ab0c) Syracuse's Rakeem Christmas says he will work out for the Pacers on Monday & the Spurs on Wednesday.

Jabari Young ‏@JabariJYoung (https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung) 7h7 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/599252684403781633)
After workout with #Pacers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pacers?src=hash) ... told Oregon's Joe Young also scheduled to workout with #Blazers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Blazers?src=hash) and #Spurs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Spurs?src=hash) .. #GoDucks (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoDucks?src=hash)

Thomas82
05-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Christian Wood or Myles Turner would be my pick in the 1st round.

AFBlue
05-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Candace Buckner @CandaceDBuckner
(https://twitter.com/CandaceDBuckner)Quinn Cook, of Nat'l Champion Duke, said #Pacers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pacers) are one of this six upcoming workouts. His first one will be w/ #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs).

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria (https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria) 27m27 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/599348823551533056) Chicago, IL (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A1d9a5370a355ab0c) Syracuse's Rakeem Christmas says he will work out for the Pacers on Monday & the Spurs on Wednesday.

Jabari Young ‏@JabariJYoung (https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung) 7h7 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/599252684403781633)
After workout with #Pacers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pacers?src=hash) ... told Oregon's Joe Young also scheduled to workout with #Blazers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Blazers?src=hash) and #Spurs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Spurs?src=hash) .. #GoDucks (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoDucks?src=hash)

Cook is solid as a second rounder. Young is an undersized SG, but dude can fill it up. Christmas is old and undersized, but he's had a monster combine between the measurables and 5v5. Not intrigued by the latter two as first rounders tbqh.

Chinook
05-15-2015, 10:32 PM
If the Spurs trade down in the first (something around 26 for the first two Philly picks), it would be awesome to see them come away with one of the mid-draft PG prospects and one of the bigs slated to go there. Wouldn't mind Christmas being that big, provide Lucas or at least Wright falls to the first pick

palangi
05-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Cook is solid as a second rounder. Young is an undersized SG, but dude can fill it up. Christmas is old and undersized, but he's had a monster combine between the measurables and 5v5. Not intrigued by the latter two as first rounders tbqh.
Young could be used to replace mills if we use him for a trade.

palangi
05-15-2015, 11:58 PM
If the Spurs trade down in the first (something around 26 for the first two Philly picks), it would be awesome to see them come away with one of the mid-draft PG prospects and one of the bigs slated to go there. Wouldn't mind Christmas being that big, provide Lucas or at least Wright falls to the first pick
What if we traded mills and Diaw to philly for 2 of their picks in round 2, #33 and #37.

Then draft.

1- Christian Wood PF 6'11" a very good offensive game and great length. Future PF.

2- Robert Upshaw C 7' a true rim protector to pair with aldridge(hope) in the future

2- Andrew Harrison PG 6'5" future PG. Can learn a year or two under tony

2- Joseph Young PG 6'2" replaces mills. Very good shooter but better scorer than patty.

ace3g
05-16-2015, 09:57 AM
http://content.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1431753555.jpg

NBA Combine Competitive Action Recap: Day Two

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Competitive-Action-Recap-Day-Two-4982

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-16-2015, 10:39 AM
These games have had quite an impact on draft stock, if the mock draft at DraftExpress is any reflection of the draft boards of NBA teams. http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

Particularly with George Lucas De Paula, Mam Jaiteh, Andrew Harrison, JP Tokoto, and Rakeem Christmas.

Chinook
05-16-2015, 11:22 AM
What if we traded mills and Diaw to philly for 2 of their picks in round 2, #33 and #37.

Then draft.

1- Christian Wood PF 6'11" a very good offensive game and great length. Future PF.

2- Robert Upshaw C 7' a true rim protector to pair with aldridge(hope) in the future

2- Andrew Harrison PG 6'5" future PG. Can learn a year or two under tony

2- Joseph Young PG 6'2" replaces mills. Very good shooter but better scorer than patty.

Wouldn't do that trade, and neither would Philly. But straight up 26 for 33 and 37, maybe.

A lot of good talent at that range if DX's latest mock draft comes to pass. Should be a very interesting draft.

AFBlue
05-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Young could be used to replace mills if we use him for a trade.

Agreed, but I don't know that trading Mills makes much sense because he only makes $3M and had a big impact down the stretch once he found his rhythm.

tholdren
05-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Before that 5v5 cook wouldn't have been drafted. Now he will go in rd 2. I would take him in the second. 4 years in college, career 50% shooter. Quoted as saying I want to learn. System guy

FireMicoHalili
05-16-2015, 08:52 PM
So far I've heard them work out or talk to Connaughton, Sibert, Young, Rozier, George de Paula, Young, Aaron White, and Rakeem Christmas. Looks like they're looking to fill Ayres', Joseph's, or Bonner's spot thru the draft. Bonner has expressed an intent to return though.

cd021
05-16-2015, 09:45 PM
interested in Connaughton. Excellent shooter and freak athlete. Good length as well. Oddly enough, was listed 94th in DXs mock draft. Draft Net doesn't have him being drafted either. Heard in another place that he could be an early to mid 2nd round pick. Would be great if he's available at 56 but doubtful.

cd021
05-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't do that trade, and neither would Philly. But straight up 26 for 33 and 37, maybe.

A lot of good talent at that range if DX's latest mock draft comes to pass. Should be a very interesting draft.

Minny has two 2nd rounders. 31st and 36th. I'd rather move the 26th pick for those two. Saunders said he's open to moving one or both. It may not be a very big jump up but maybe their interested in consolidating those picks into a second 1st rounder.

Who knows who could fall to those picks. Seems like for picks 20-30 there could be 15 different guys in play. De Paula and Luwawu would be my picks if that were to happen.

With the 56th, hopefully Connaughton is available. Been impressed with what I've seen of him.

Chinook
05-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Minny has two 2nd rounders. 31st and 36th. I'd rather move the 26th pick for those two.

Obviously, if both trades are on the table.

I'm trying to figure out why no one is talking about Richaun Holmes. DX pretty much gives him a perfect grade, but he's slated to go in the 40s. I'd be totally fine with talking Lucas with the first second, Holmes with the second second and the best available wing that is willing to go overseas with the final second.

raybies
05-16-2015, 11:11 PM
I really like Terry Rozier with our first. Reminds me of Reggie Jackson. He's a system player who has a knack for the ball on defense. The kid has got some moves. He's a little raw right now with his jumper, but I think with a lil work he could have potential to be a starter in this league. Seth Greenberg called him a poor man's Dwayne Wade. What do y'all think?

DPG21920
05-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Chinook - did I read correctly that the Spurs lost the tie breaker with MEM and have the 26th pick in the first round?

Chinook
05-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) - did I read correctly that the Spurs lost the tie breaker with MEM and have the 26th pick in the first round?

That's what happened. For some reason, the NBA doesn't care about playoff seeds when talking about the draft.

ace3g
05-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)
@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)

At No. 4, expect that the Knicks draft pick will be very available in trade talks.

FireMicoHalili
05-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Random thoughts:

1.) Nothing wrong with shoot-first combo guards out of lesser-known colleges. Lillard, Curry, McCollum have been setting a precedent so teams should be on the lookout for diamonds in the rough (not surprise for the Spurs)
2.) Most of the players they've scouted (Connaughton, Christmas, Young, Aaron White, Sibert) are seniors.
3.) They scouted D'Angelo Russell for only reasons God knows. Parker, Splitter as trade chips, maybe?
4.) Spurs always seem to want players with outlandish physical tools (huge wingspan [Leonard, Harrell], high verts [Connaughton]). The idea is probably that these guys can adapt to the big leagues better with physical tools to help them adjust. I don't think Kaminsky is going to cut it without making tweaks to his game.
5.) I don't see them scouting for bigs aside from Harrell and Christmas, and the only international they have scouted so far is George de Paula.

Just a hodgepodge of thoughts, of course! I expect a lot of kids to go up the board in a few weeks' time, including De Paula. I have a gut feel Harrell somehow falls to the Spurs' laps. Kind of unfair Memphis gets to pick ahead but that's life.

exstatic
05-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Random thoughts:

1.) Nothing wrong with shoot-first combo guards out of lesser-known colleges. Lillard, Curry, McCollum have been setting a precedent so teams should be on the lookout for diamonds in the rough (not surprise for the Spurs)
2.) Most of the players they've scouted (Connaughton, Christmas, Young, Aaron White, Sibert) are seniors.
3.) They scouted D'Angelo Russell for only reasons God knows. Parker, Splitter as trade chips, maybe?
4.) Spurs always seem to want players with outlandish physical tools (huge wingspan [Leonard, Harrell], high verts [Connaughton]). The idea is probably that these guys can adapt to the big leagues better with physical tools to help them adjust. I don't think Kaminsky is going to cut it without making tweaks to his game.
5.) I don't see them scouting for bigs aside from Harrell and Christmas, and the only international they have scouted so far is George de Paula.

Just a hodgepodge of thoughts, of course! I expect a lot of kids to go up the board in a few weeks' time, including De Paula. I have a gut feel Harrell somehow falls to the Spurs' laps. Kind of unfair Memphis gets to pick ahead but that's life.

DePaula dropped 10 spots after the Combine.

Chinook
05-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)
@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)

At No. 4, expect that the Knicks draft pick will be very available in trade talks.

Come on Parker for Calderon!

FireMicoHalili
05-20-2015, 12:32 AM
DePaula dropped 10 spots after the Combine.
word? They're expecting him to be this year's Caboclo. Either him or Danilo Fuzaro(?).

ace3g
05-20-2015, 08:49 PM
rakeemchristmas (https://instagram.com/rakeemchristmas/) 8 hours ago
It was real San Antonio now on my way back to Vegas till next week #Cbd (https://instagram.com/explore/tags/cbd/) #TheySleep (https://instagram.com/explore/tags/theysleep/) #SnpGd (https://instagram.com/explore/tags/snpgd/)
https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/11326538_460407570803629_1449251086_n.jpg

ace3g
05-21-2015, 09:45 PM
(https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider)
In Santa Barbara today w/ 100+ NBA folks for workouts. Stanley Johnson, Frank Kaminsky, Kelly Oubre, Robert Upshaw, Harrison twins headline

Joseph Young, Vince Hunter, Brandon Ashley, Derrick Marks, Tyler Haws, Josh Richardson also here in SB. Unfortunately, no Okafor.

At a 2nd workout tonight in Santa Monica. Ronde Hollis-Jefferson, Rashad Vaughn, Pat Connaughton, Anthony Brown, Tyler Harvey, Dez Wells

GMs here in CA at workouts today: Danny Ainge, Pat Riley, RC Buford, John Hammond, Sam Presti, Sam Hinkie, Dennis Lindsey, Rob Hennigan

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-21-2015, 10:45 PM

lmbebo
05-22-2015, 07:22 PM
What about this dude?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Guillermo-Hernangomez-7204/

2nd round pick

Cklbmk
05-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Come on Parker for Calderon!

calderon wouldnt be that bad of a bit tbh

Vic Petro
05-26-2015, 06:31 PM

AFBlue
05-26-2015, 07:52 PM
McCollough, Christmas, Harrell (interview)...seems like they're targeting the long athletic F/C pretty deliberately, along with the shooting guard.

Chinook
05-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Too many good big prospects to not come away with one. Just too dammed many.

jesterbobman
05-27-2015, 03:21 PM
New DX stats article

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Analytics-Models-and-the-NBA-Draft-5021

FireMicoHalili
05-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Spurs set to work out Larry Nance Jr (source: https://twitter.com/SpursTalk1/status/601841272626814977)

Here's his DX page listing his wingspan at 7'2": http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Larry-Nance-42170/stats/

Spurs have also worked out Rakeem Christmas (7'5" wingspan) and Chris McCullough (7'3" wingspan) and have interviewed Montrezl Harrell (7'3" wingspan). Only outlier is Aaron White who has a wingspan same as his height (6'9"). Seems the Spurs have been looking around for either a PG/combo guard and a big man in case Joseph leaves. I'm assuming Ayres is gone for good.

jjktkk
05-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Spurs set to work out Larry Nance Jr (source: https://twitter.com/SpursTalk1/status/601841272626814977)

Here's his DX page listing his wingspan at 7'2": http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Larry-Nance-42170/stats/

Spurs have also worked out Rakeem Christmas (7'5" wingspan) and Chris McCullough (7'3" wingspan) and have interviewed Montrezl Harrell (7'3" wingspan). Only outlier is Aaron White who has a wingspan same as his height (6'9"). Seems the Spurs have been looking around for either a PG/combo guard and a big man in case Joseph leaves. I'm assuming Ayres is gone for good. Larry Nance JR has crohn's disease. Don't know how that effects his ability to play basketball.

Andthentherewas21
05-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Larry Nance JR has chrome's disease. Don't know how that effects his ability to play basketball.

I'm assuming you mean Crohn's, in which case skill-wise it shouldn't affect him given he's probably had it most of his life. However, it could be hard for him to put on weight and/or keep it on. Could also miss games here or there if the symptoms flair up.

benstanfield
05-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Anyone seen a lot of Sasha Vezenkov? Supposedly he killed the greek League, from these highlights he reminds me a lot of Mirotic, but he's 19. DX has him as a mid 2nd rounder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYDtCk2KHU

ace3g
05-29-2015, 09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt3M8wF9c6Q

Thomas82
05-29-2015, 11:05 PM

+1

AFBlue
05-30-2015, 08:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt3M8wF9c6Q

Obviously a candidate if the Spurs were to trade up into the first half of the first round. I don't see him slipping lower than 20.

raybies
05-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Anyone seen a lot of Sasha Vezenkov? Supposedly he killed the greek League, from these highlights he reminds me a lot of Mirotic, but he's 19. DX has him as a mid 2nd rounder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYDtCk2KHU

I want to know if he can play d
Cause he's got the offense part down.

ace3g
05-31-2015, 05:33 PM
(https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors)Royce O'Neale has about 15 workouts scheduled. He's shown off for the #Mavs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Mavs), #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs), #Rockets (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rockets) and #Bulls (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bulls) so far.

AFBlue
05-31-2015, 08:01 PM
(https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors)Royce O'Neale has about 15 workouts scheduled. He's shown off for the #Mavs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Mavs), #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs), #Rockets (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rockets) and #Bulls (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bulls) so far.

Watched a lot of Baylor basketball and O'Neale was a solid contributor. He's not athletic, but he has decent length and can do a little bit of everything...pass, defend, rebound. But they especially relied on his 3pt shooting, which is his best asset if he hopes to play at the next level. He should be a good candidate for Austin.

lmbebo
05-31-2015, 11:00 PM
Anyone consider Spurs may just dump the pick to remove the guaranteed salary to open up more cap space?

TheCerebral1
06-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Anyone consider Spurs may just dump the pick to remove the guaranteed salary to open up more cap space?

If they do, it would be for a draft and stash guy. I don't see it happening, but you never know. This team still needs some youth in certain areas.

Baam
06-01-2015, 08:21 AM

Lots of (big) PGs too... Grant, Harrison, Wright, De Paula... The team also need a new lead guard...

jyra
06-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Good looking Grantland video series about Porzinigs:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/who-is-kristaps-porzingis-episode-1-playing-in-seville/ (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/who-is-kristaps-porzingis-episode-1-playing-in-seville/)

I'm surprised how good his English is considering that he still hasn't turned 20 yet.

ace3g
06-01-2015, 06:08 PM
(https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider)Just watch D'Angelo's Russell's vertical jump test. 30.5" standing vert. 39" max vert. Much better than expected.

Jake Fischer @JakeLFischer
(https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer)Something I keep hearing that makes so much sense: R.J. Hunter to the Bucks at No. 17.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-01-2015, 10:34 PM
RJ Hunter may be a good steal. I can see him coming in his rookie year and already being a Belinelli like player with plenty of room to grow.

AFBlue
06-02-2015, 06:42 AM
RJ Hunter may be a good steal. I can see him coming in his rookie year and already being a Belinelli like player with plenty of room to grow.

I think the Klay Thimpson comp is fair...fluid athlete, good length, excellent shooter, solid defensive potential. Spurs would probably have to trade up to get him at this point. Seems more likely that someone else drops, given the dearth of shooters in this draft.

ace3g
06-02-2015, 07:01 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3611020926/1c288811c3bc4799af324e09268547f9_bigger.jpeg Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus (https://twitter.com/EricPincus) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/605536582876012544)
Nebraska guard/forward Terran Petteway has 10-11 teams on his workout schedule - Lakers today - also mentioned Spurs and Pistons

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus (https://twitter.com/EricPincus) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/605535785438187520)
Arizona's Brandon Ashley said he's worked out for the Spurs, Grizzlies and Bulls - Lakers today - next up Suns and Warriors

Calavera
06-02-2015, 07:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw_pQIzGY1c next dirk they say :)

Eurohopes.com
“Shooting is first and foremost the elite skill Vezenkov possesses and it will be carried over nicely to the NBA. He’s a very good shooter (39.4% in 94 attempts this season in the Greek League) off the catch who shoots the ball with proper balance and confidence. He possesses a quick release and does most of his work off the ball (moving to open spots, being always shot ready). Given his mechanics, character and work ethic we can fairly assume that the 19 year old prospect can become an excellent stretch forward down the road.”

palangi
06-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I know most are high on de Paula, but I would rather take andrew Harrison. He seems more explosive and is only 20 still.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLuI0n16ysI

AFBlue
06-02-2015, 04:48 PM
I know most are high on de Paula, but I would rather take andrew Harrison. He seems more explosive and is only 20 still.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLuI0n16ysI

With either it's about their long-term potential. The questions surrounding Harrison are his maturity and coachability. If he doesn't take to the inputs he receives or demonstrates a lack of maturity on or off the court, I think he'll be hard-pressed to carve out a role with any NBA team let alone the Spurs. He's young, so maybe he can be coached up. But I'd rather go with the kid that has the same athletic profile (big, long, and strong lead guard) and doesn't have those concerns even if he takes longer to develop into an NBA talent.

ace3g
06-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus (https://twitter.com/EricPincus) 4h4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/605820752076537856) UCLA's Norman Powell said he worked out for the Bulls, Rockets, Spurs and 76ers - today Lakers - still has 15 workouts to go!

Project Spurs ‏@projectspurs (https://twitter.com/projectspurs) 4h4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/projectspurs/status/605812535661490176)
Spurs scouted Mario Hezonja
http://bit.ly/1I9Z9SG

(http://t.co/2cKz6O4OLk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d4vqiqSMOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WngADYTj-U

(http://t.co/2cKz6O4OLk)

ace3g
06-03-2015, 06:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPW4TCdlBR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i89E4DyhVU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWjSHa5Vgs8

ace3g
06-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Eric PincusVerified account ‏@EricPincus (https://twitter.com/EricPincus) North Carolina's JP Tokoto has been busy as well: Utah, San Antonio, Indiana, Phoenix, Lakers today - next Brooklyn

Michael Scotto ‏@MikeAScotto (https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto)
San Antonio Spurs will bring in Michael Frazier II (Florida) among other prospects for a workout today, league sources tell Sheridan Hoops.

Jordan Mickey will work out for the Wolves and Spurs. He has already worked out for the Bulls, Rockets and Celtics. “I like Mickey,” an Eastern Conference GM told Scotto. “He’s an NBA shot blocker and rebounder. He’s a more athletic Taj Gibson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gibsota01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-hoops.traderumors.com).”

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus (https://twitter.com/EricPincus) Jun 2 (https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/605820752076537856) UCLA's Norman Powell said he worked out for the Bulls, Rockets, Spurs and 76ers - today Lakers - still has 15 workouts to go!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2015, 06:58 PM

ace3g
06-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria (https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria) 4h4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/606204482104512512) Croton-on-Hudson, NY (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A01b828da4311466f) Former St. John's wing Sir'Dominic Pointer worked out for OKC today.Has worked out for Boston, the Clips, Dallas, San Antonio. Has 17 total.

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
(https://twitter.com/EricPincus)Wisconsin-Green Bay's Keifer Sykes said he's worked out for Clippers, Spurs, Suns, 76ers, Celtics + Lakers today - a ton more scheduled

AFBlue
06-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks ace!

What's interesting is that many of these players are second rounders on most boards. The only two prospects that are likely first rounders are Anderson and Vaughn. It makes me think their strategy is to trade out of the first round and pick up value in the mid-late second.

exstatic
06-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks ace!

What's interesting is that many of these players are second rounders on most boards. The only two prospects that are likely first rounders are Anderson and Vaughn. It makes me think their strategy is to trade out of the first round and pick up value in the mid-late second.

Or, they're looking for Austin talent if they go undrafted.

Uriel
06-04-2015, 01:47 AM
Ford Mock 6.0: Spurs take risk with Harrell

http://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/media/motion/2015/0424/dm_150424_NADdraftharrell/dm_150424_NADdraftharrell.jpg&h=376&scale=crop&w=943&location=originPlay

NBA teams continue to sift through data regarding the prospects, but with the combine over, club workouts beginning and the draft less than a month away, ESPN Insider Chad Ford gave us his Mock Draft 6.0 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=6&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft) on Tuesday.

Ford projected the San Antonio Spurs (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) to squeeze value out of the 26th pick with his Mock Draft 5.0 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=5&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft) by taking Virginia small forward Justin Anderson. But this time, Ford projects the Spurs to take a calculated risk by bringing aboard Louisville power forward Montrezl Harrell (http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&playerId=19917).

Ford points out a couple concerns regarding Harrell, who is a tad undersized at the position and has shown a penchant for losing focus. But Ford adds that "a veteran team like the Spurs, with a terrific culture and work ethic could be just the thing for Harrell."

San Antonio could definitely stand to pick up some reinforcements in the frontcourt, which is exactly what Harrell would provide.

Harrell, 21, averaged 15.7 points last season at Louisville to go with 9.2 rebounds while hitting 56.6 percent of his field goals. In San Antonio, Harrell could provide some athleticism and strength, and he has shown the ability to run the floor and consistently defend taller players.

Harrell plays with passion and elite athleticism, which you can catch a glimpse of in some of his highlights in the video above.

It's important to note Ford's mock draft is not a ranking of who he considers the top players, and is based on the latest information he has gleaned from scouts, general managers and other sources on what each team might do in the draft.

Ford expects to knock out at least three more updated mocks before draft night on June 25, so stay tuned.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/3887/ford-mock-6-0-spurs-take-risk-with-harrell

Interesting that Ford would have the Spurs take Harrell completely out of nowhere, when his name is almost never even mentioned in the late first round. Maybe he knows something we don't? :stirpot:

AFBlue
06-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Or, they're looking for Austin talent if they go undrafted.

With some that's certainly the case. But guys like McCollough, Mickey, Christmas, Frazier, and Tokoto are early-to-mid second rounders. While that draft grade hasn't stopped the Spurs before (e.g. Joseph, Hill) when picking at the end of the first, I just found it a bit curious.

exstatic
06-04-2015, 08:23 PM
With some that's certainly the case. But guys like McCollough, Mickey, Christmas, Frazier, and Tokoto are early-to-mid second rounders. While that draft grade hasn't stopped the Spurs before (e.g. Joseph, Hill) when picking at the end of the first, I just found it a bit curious.

A number of internationals drop out every year at the last minute, because they can. That would 'raise all other boats', so to speak.

AFBlue
06-04-2015, 09:01 PM
A number of internationals drop out every year at the last minute, because they can. That would 'raise all other boats', so to speak.

Makes sense.

ace3g
06-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA (https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA) 9h9 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/606834470696714240) Front office personnel from the Bulls, Magic, Spurs, Heat, Wizards and Knicks among others at @e8hoops (https://twitter.com/E8hoops) pro day.

list of players

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGu2MGVVAAAXwLI.jpg

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
(https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)Duke's Justise Winslow will work out for the Knicks on Monday, league sources tell Yahoo. New York is examining him closely at No. 4.

ace3g
06-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress) 25m25 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/607253819567808512) New on DX: @adidasEuroCamp (https://twitter.com/adidasEuroCamp) recap, Day One: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2015-adidas-Eurocamp-Day-One-5059 … (http://t.co/wq4z4vfGwL) - Dragan Bender, George de Paula, Rawle Alkins, Edin Atic, more stand out

lmbebo
06-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Possibly trade up for John Holmes? Possible early 2nd rounder. Maybe a combo forward. Play 3 or 4.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonathan-Holmes-42028/

Uriel
06-07-2015, 08:15 AM
DX has moved George de Paula all the way up to the end of the first round in their mock. It'll be interesting to see if the Spurs consider drafting him now that he's within their range.

EDIT: He's back down to 41.

lmbebo
06-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Kinda just ready for the draft to happen.

ace3g
06-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
(https://twitter.com/DraftExpress)Recap of Day Two of the @adidasEuroCamp (https://twitter.com/adidasEuroCamp/) draftexpress.com/article/2015-a… (http://t.co/1GYA9ogX4V) - Who stood out: Frank Jackson, Edrice Adebayo, Dzanan Musa, Yabusele, more

exstatic
06-07-2015, 07:46 PM
DX has moved George de Paula all the way up to the end of the first round in their mock. It'll be interesting to see if the Spurs consider drafting him now that he's within their range.

You may have been seeing a cached page. He started in the late first round, but has been at 41 since. He may get a little bump after adidas eurocamp this week.

ace3g
06-07-2015, 08:45 PM
18 Days till #NBADraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBADraft)

cd021
06-08-2015, 04:14 AM
Like the idea of Rashad Vaughn at 26 now. two way player. Confident shooter and can up fake and get into the lane for pull ups and mid range jumpers. Sounds like a good on ball defender and an above average athlete,not to mention he is a decent play maker according to DX . Probably should grab a big but having him as a backup 2 guard going forward doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Chinook
06-08-2015, 04:26 AM
Like the idea of Rashad Vaughn at 26 now. two way player. Confident shooter and can up fake and get into the lane for pull ups and mid range jumpers. Sounds like a good on ball defender and an above average athlete,not to mention he is a decent play maker according to DX . Probably should grab a big but having him as a backup 2 guard going forward doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Yeah he'd fit well between Mills/Joseph and Anderson off the bench. Second unit's going to need scoring. If the Spurs can somehow grab Vaughn and get a big like Holmes in the second (trading up with cash), it would be a huge coup.

ace3g
06-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus (https://twitter.com/EricPincus) 4h4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/607993788800233472) LSU's Jordan Mickey has worked out for Bulls, Rockets, Celtics, Wolves, Spurs, Blazers, others, Lakers today - upcoming Pacers, Hawks & OKC

cd021
06-09-2015, 03:24 AM
Yeah he'd fit well between Mills/Joseph and Anderson off the bench. Second unit's going to need scoring. If the Spurs can somehow grab Vaughn and get a big like Holmes in the second (trading up with cash), it would be a huge coup.

I'm really interested to see if the Spurs move Mills for an early second rounder/ late first round pick, and resign Cojo. Guess that depends on how much they like Cojo going forward and the player they are targeting.

Jonathan or Rashaun Holmes?

buttsR4rebounding
06-09-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm really interested to see if the Spurs move Mills for an early second rounder/ late first round pick, and resign Cojo. Guess that depends on how much they like Cojo going forward and the player they are targeting.

I have thought the same thing with Mills. I think a trade of Mills for a pick would signal a commitment to going after Aldridge. Mills is a reasonably priced player that should draw decent interest.

palangi
06-09-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm actually really liking JP Tokoto. He is a 6'6" SG that would look real nice paired with with Leonard on the wing. He has a 6' 10" wing span and a 40" vert. He also shot 38% from 3 last year. I think he is a kid that could replace Danny" defensively they will be very similar. Offensively he might not be as good a shooter yet, but he is much better finisher at the rim.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQRhgCbznk

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/J.P.-Tokoto-6285/

raybies
06-09-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm actually really liking JP Tokoto. He is a 6'6" SG that would look real nice paired with with Leonard on the wing. He has a 6' 10" wing span and a 40" vert. He also shot 38% from 3 last year. I think he is a kid that could replace Danny" defensively they will be very similar. Offensively he might not be as good a shooter yet, but he is much better finisher at the rim.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQRhgCbznk

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/J.P.-Tokoto-6285/

I really like this kid too. I think it would be cool to see the Spurs get a couple prospects like him and Vaughn or Hunter and let them duke it out with maybe Marco and Ginobili, kinda like we did with the backup pg spot we had a couple years ago with Cory, Patty, and Nando. Worked out pretty well. Also, Tokoto has the length to play 3 so he's versatile.

I really don't want to invest 10+ million for a guy like Green. That kind of money could be better spent elsewhere.

buttsR4rebounding
06-10-2015, 08:03 AM
I really like this kid too. I think it would be cool to see the Spurs get a couple prospects like him and Vaughn or Hunter and let them duke it out with maybe Marco and Ginobili, kinda like we did with the backup pg spot we had a couple years ago with Cory, Patty, and Nando. Worked out pretty well. Also, Tokoto has the length to play 3 so he's versatile.

I really don't want to invest 10+ million for a guy like Green. That kind of money could be better spent elsewhere.

If the Spurs are targeting him then they are most likely trading down to pick up an extra pick. Most mocks have him going in the top half of the 2nd round. Although I have seen mocks where the Spurs take him at 26 and one where they take him at 55. I think 26 is too soon, but doubt he is actually there at 55.

cd021
06-10-2015, 10:24 PM
I have thought the same thing with Mills. I think a trade of Mills for a pick would signal a commitment to going after Aldridge. Mills is a reasonably priced player that should draw decent interest.

Hard thing is to figure out which team could be interested. Minnesota has the 31st and 36th pick. I'd be cool with Mills for the 31st pick. They have a weird roster. 6 guys (including their pick this year) are on rookie deals and 5 more are vets (KG, Pek, Rubio, Martin, Budinger).

Rashard Vaugh at 26 and a international prospect like De Paula, Hernagomez, or Luwawu at 31 would be a pretty good draft (even though Hernagomez is probably 2 or 3 years away from the NBA)

AFBlue
06-11-2015, 03:05 AM
DX updated mock has RJ Hunter falling to the Spurs. Given his versatile playmaking and shot-making ability, he'd be a no-brainer at #26. Having said that, Hunter is getting talked about in the teens and is unlikely to fall to the Spurs. I trust DX, but I don't see this coming to fruition.

AFBlue
06-11-2015, 03:10 AM

You may have been seeing a cached page. He started in the late first round, but has been at 41 since. He may get a little bump after adidas eurocamp this week.

He's now at #45. It's one sites opinion, but he doesn't seem to be rising post-camp.

AFBlue
06-11-2015, 03:12 AM
Hard thing is to figure out which team could be interested. Minnesota has the 31st and 36th pick. I'd be cool with Mills for the 31st pick. They have a weird roster. 6 guys (including their pick this year) are on rookie deals and 5 more are vets (KG, Pek, Rubio, Martin, Budinger).

Rashard Vaugh at 26 and a international prospect like De Paula, Hernagomez, or Luwawu at 31 would be a pretty good draft (even though Hernagomez is probably 2 or 3 years away from the NBA)

FWIW, DX pulled Luwawu from their 2015 mock draft and put him in 2016. I haven't seen confirmation that he officially pulled out, but that'd be one less international option this year.

cd021
06-11-2015, 04:32 AM
He's now at #45. It's one sites opinion, but he doesn't seem to be rising post-camp.

De Paul has barely cracked the the Draft Net mock. They didn't have him for most of the year after the combine that had him at 60. He's at 55 to the Spurs according to Draftnet. Hopefully either him or Luwawu (if he does stay in) are on the board at 55. Even though I'd doubt it.

AFBlue
06-11-2015, 04:40 AM
De Paul has barely cracked the the Draft Net mock. They didn't have him for most of the year after the combine that had him at 60. He's at 55 to the Spurs according to Draftnet. Hopefully either him or Luwawu (if he does stay in) are on the board at 55. Even though I'd doubt it.

He's also sitting near 60 on the latest Chad Ford rankings, though Ford had yet to do a two-round mock draft considering team need. Ultimately there's too much upside stemming from his youth and impressive physical profile to think he drops to the end of the second. But trades in the second round after about the first five picks are pretty common. If the Spurs really want him, I think they'll get him.

Uriel
06-11-2015, 04:44 AM
If the Spurs get George de Paula at 55, it would be our best pick this late in the draft since Manu Ginobili, tbh.

benstanfield
06-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Damn I'd be a terrible GM, every DX video I watch makes me think someone else is a future All Star.

OTOH I would pour way more money into player dev than any other team on principle, so maybe it would work out.

cd021
06-11-2015, 11:16 PM
Damn I'd be a terrible GM, every DX video I watch makes me think someone else is a future All Star.

OTOH I would pour way more money into player dev than any other team on principle, so maybe it would work out.

:lol I kind of do the same. I like to look at their strengths and just how bad their weaknesses are to the Spurs.

Vaughn seems to be the best fit imo of the players projected to go in the late first round. Good scorer/ shooter. Confident, only 19, above average athlete and pretty good defensively. Shown a ablity to run p&r fairly well. ( I think he could become a starter at some point if those skills translate)

Hernagomez seems to have low ceiling (probably a rotation big man) but will probably stay oversees for a couple of years meaning he will likely be at least 23 when he comes over and there will probably be a gap in between him arriving and Duncan retiring.

Montrezl Harrell - a very good athlete, very good defensively, can board and has a freak arm span (9 inches longer than his body) but is 6'8 1/2 in shoes, a bad FT shooter. If Duncan/Splitter/Diaw is our top 3 bigs next season he'd be playing center off the bench or starting at PF, not sure how he'd fit.

Justin Anderson-Compares physically to Danny Green (6'6, 6'11 1/2 wing span and 42' max vert), pretty good shooter and good defensively. Probably more of a luxury if he falls to the Spurs. I don't see the Spurs cheaping out on DG by drafting Anderson as a replacement ( or at least one of the guys who replaces Green).

I like the idea of a Green Leonard J. Anderson and K. Anderson going forward, that's a big, long and athletic (save for Slo-mo) wing rotation. Though it would be interesting to see what it means for Bertans and LJC.

Delon Wright-Good size for PG. Good play maker and defender. On the downside he's pretty thin for size (could degate some of the befits of having a 6'5 PG), mediocre shooter and average athlete. Then again having a bench core Mills-Wright-Anderson-Diaw going forward could be interesting with multiple play makers (and average shooting)

cd021
06-11-2015, 11:22 PM
If the Spurs get George de Paula at 55, it would be our best pick this late in the draft since Manu Ginobili, tbh.

I agree. If Alpha Kapa or Luwawu fall there (assuming both are still in this draft class) that would be very good as well. Kapa is very mobile for his size (6'10 with a 7'5 wingspan)

exstatic
06-12-2015, 06:54 AM
I agree. If Alpha Kapa or Luwawu fall there (assuming both are still in this draft class) that would be very good as well. Kapa is very mobile for his size (6'10 with a 7'5 wingspan)

D/X is projecting both of them to pull out, and now has them in the 2016 mock.

ace3g
06-12-2015, 06:48 PM
The Cavaliers, Spurs, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Hawks, Bucks and Pacers spoke to Arkansas power forward Bobby Portis at last month’s combine, Portis said, according to Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders (http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-the-draft-best-kept-secret-bobby-portis-2015/), who writes in his NBA PM piece. Previous (http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/05/celtics-trades-combine.html) reports (http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/05/northwest-notes-freeland.html) indicated that he also talked to Boston and Portland.

ace3g
06-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
(https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA)I'm hearing that Jarell Martin has a mid-first-round promise from a team and will likely shut down all workouts.

AFBlue
06-12-2015, 07:51 PM
(https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA)I'm hearing that Jarell Martin has a mid-first-round promise from a team and will likely shut down all workouts.

Raptors, of the Caboclo-epic-reach fame, no doubt.

exstatic
06-12-2015, 08:48 PM

Could OKC really underdraft 2 years in a row to try to keep costs down by signing yet another first rounder to a d-league contract?

AFBlue
06-12-2015, 09:09 PM
The Cavaliers, Spurs, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Hawks, Bucks and Pacers spoke to Arkansas power forward Bobby Portis at last month’s combine, Portis said, according to Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders (http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-the-draft-best-kept-secret-bobby-portis-2015/), who writes in his NBA PM piece. Previous (http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/05/celtics-trades-combine.html) reports (http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/05/northwest-notes-freeland.html) indicated that he also talked to Boston and Portland.

Makes sense. They've interviewed or worked out nearly every draft-eligible PF projected in the 15-45 range it seems.

ace3g
06-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Draft scuttle: Hearing Porzingis not only in play for Philly at No. 3 but now giving Lakers something to ponder at No. 2. Stock rising fast

CGD
06-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Draft scuttle: Hearing Porzingis not only in play for Philly at No. 3 but now giving Lakers something to ponder at No. 2. Stock rising fast

Porzingus is the better prospect between him and Okafor, so not surprised. With Randle in the wings, Lakers should take D'Angelo above either of those guys though.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Raptors, of the Caboclo-epic-reach fame, no doubt.

They pulled that epic reach, and kept my Caboclo minute watch at tease level. Why not get the kid on the court?

Chinook
06-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Was thinking Rashaun, but hell, either would be great. Both are defensive-minded stretch-fours. Jonathan is more of a combo-forward (in a good way), while Holmes may be able to get away with playing the five. But the team will need a defensive-minded big to grown into a role. Harrell would probably be ideal if he falls to 26 (Portis is the best by unrealistic), but in the second round? Yeah, either would be a steal.