PDA

View Full Version : Game Grade: Kyle Anderson (Austin Spurs vs. SCW)

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Kyle Anderson : B+
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/140711_anderson_10.jpg?itok=gFmpmJD7

Kyle had a game high in minutes played with 41 (matching Cotton). In those 41 minutes, he ended with the highest +/- of the team with 12 (again, matching Cotton). Anderson was instrumental in Austin's first victory of the season in what was also their first home game. He finished with 18 off of 7/16 shooting, 6 assists, 11 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, and only 1 turnover. In my opinion, Anderson's shot is in limbo. It's almost a certainty that Chip Engelland has been spending most of his time in the early going of this season, working with Kyle and that less than desirable shooting form of his. Against the SC Warriors, Kyle got a lot of his points from in close using his elasticity, but he did make one from beyond the arc, and a couple other decent looking jumpers (including a sweet stroked long two in the 4th).

Where Anderson's impact was really felt was on the play-making end, finishing with 6 assists, and while that number isn't as bloated as Cotton's 12 assists (only 1 turnover as well), I do believe the Spurs would have struggled without Anderson's play-making (rest of the team combined for 8 assists, compared to Anderson and Cottons combined 18). I was impressed with Anderson's dribbling, and his ability to slowly penetrate into the paint to create offense out of thin air with nifty passes, most of which were misses from his team-mates (Kyle might have finished with double digit assists had they converted).

Another thing I liked from Mr. Anderson was his positioning on the defensive glass; he was almost always in the right place at the right time. As aforementioned, Kyle finished with 11 boards (all defensive). This will be a valuable commodity to the San Antonio Spurs once Kyle fits into a role where he can contribute.

In most cases, 2 steals and a block are indicative of sturdy defense, but in this case, I'd say not so much. While taking away a few possessions from the Warriors, Anderson was still very much a defensive liability. His lateral quickness leaves a lot to be desired, so much so he gets blown by before he can even use his length to his advantage. I don't believe this is something that can't be taught, or learned, and hey.. he's still a bit better than Belinelli in this regard.

All in all, Kyle Anderson looked like he had a lot of fun in this game, and hopefully it acts as a confidence booster for his inevitable return to the SA Spurs.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-23-2014, 06:59 PM
thanks for this mang.

Brazil
11-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the read

spurraider21
11-23-2014, 07:12 PM
his playmkaing will shine on the tauros, but he's going to need to hit open shots to help the spurs

BatManu20
11-23-2014, 07:18 PM
He was hitting his 3's in SL, I'm assuming Chip trying to change his shot is making it worse right now. Similar to a golfer changing his swing, hopefully it pays off in the long run.

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2014, 07:38 PM
JaMychal Green - 27pts, 14rebs, 2stl, 1blk :tu

ChumpDumper
11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
I thought his shot selection was largely terrible on the perimeter. Needs more patience when on a smaller defender. His swinging gate drive gets him some space initially but he needs to finish with a floater more often. One of his drives got erased when he took it for a layup by a non shot blocker.

I'm surprised they didn't let him bring up the ball more. His passing was great of course, especially in transition.

The smaller guys he was guarding were blowing by him but that really didn't do the damage it could have partly because the Warriors didn't know how to capitalize and partly because Kyle could direct them into other defenders with his length. The guys he was assigned to combined for 9-25 shooting.

So initially they are using him as a fairly traditional SF. I think they will continue to experiment more especially when he has time to practice with them.

Baam
11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Boris was at the game : http://instagram.com/p/vwl64FDI9D/

yavozerb
11-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Leave him there for the season..Kid needs alot of work and well get close to 0 PT with the spurs.

benstanfield
11-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Boris was at the game : http://instagram.com/p/vwl64FDI9D/

Boris is such an enigmatic dude. Millions of dollars, probably an awesome crib in SA, he gets a Sunday off from being in shape for a living and he's in Cedar Park watching garbageball.

ElNono
11-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks OP for the writeup.

So initially they are using him as a fairly traditional SF.

I don't think this is accidental... I think this is where the Spurs would like him to play long term...

littlecoyotecoin
11-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Kyle Anderson : B+
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/140711_anderson_10.jpg?itok=gFmpmJD7

Thanks for recap. I meant to watch but didn't. Special mention to Chump, as well.

ace3g
11-23-2014, 08:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-KqU13RL-A

ChumpDumper
11-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I don't think this is accidental... I think this is where the Spurs would like him to play long term...Yeah, we'll see if he can make it there.

Thanks for recap. I meant to watch but didn't. Special mention to Chump, as well.The game is archived. You can watch it anytime.

spursparker9
11-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Man, his shooting stroke remind me of Captain Jack

SnakeBoy
11-23-2014, 11:46 PM
It's almost a certainty that Chip Engelland has been spending most of his time in the early going of this season, working with Kyle and that less than desirable shooting form of his.

I think that's right. Comparing tonight's game to summer league, I think his shot looks a little different. Little bit quicker release and not cocking his arms back quite as much. Not a dramatic difference but different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5pB8eEqbHA

Also his shoulders are starting to show a little definition, no doubt they have him hitting the weights. Good sign, I was worried he was going to have Daye's problem of not being able to add an ounce of muscle no matter hard he tried.

scanry
11-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Pretty Incredible that Chump always finds time to watch D league & Summer league religiously.

scanry
11-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Man, his shooting stroke remind me of Captain Jack

They both bend their knees more than other players.

wildbill2u
11-24-2014, 01:37 PM
"His swinging gate drive gets him some space initially but he needs to finish with a floater more often. One of his drives got erased when he took it for a layup by a non shot blocker. " Chump Dumper

I noticed the same thing the other night against NBA bench players. He'd take a long stride past a screen and get free only to have someone waiting for him by the time he got near the basket. I think he'd do better with a mid range jumper because he's not gonna get close enough to the basket without someone on him for a floater. Or it will be a really looooooong floater.

And players blowing past him is mostly because of slow footwork on lateral movement. He will have to shoot the lights out on 3 pts to get much playing time in the NBA.

We had a guy who was that slow years ago who was highly regarded coming out of college from Oregon I think. (Walter ????). No two players are ever exactly alike, but Walter never made it.

Beaverfuzz
11-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Still a scrub.

BillMc
11-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Cheers, thanks for the write up! :bobo

ceperez
11-24-2014, 03:41 PM
"His swinging gate drive gets him some space initially but he needs to finish with a floater more often. One of his drives got erased when he took it for a layup by a non shot blocker. " Chump Dumper

I noticed the same thing the other night against NBA bench players. He'd take a long stride past a screen and get free only to have someone waiting for him by the time he got near the basket. I think he'd do better with a mid range jumper because he's not gonna get close enough to the basket without someone on him for a floater. Or it will be a really looooooong floater.

And players blowing past him is mostly because of slow footwork on lateral movement. He will have to shoot the lights out on 3 pts to get much playing time in the NBA.

We had a guy who was that slow years ago who was highly regarded coming out of college from Oregon I think. (Walter ????). No two players are ever exactly alike, but Walter never made it.

Going to be a tough transition for Anderson.

He's got to some up with more effective ways to get to the rim. Maybe he needs to learn some moves from Boris Diaw.

He needs to become more deadly from the 3 point line.

I don't think there's time for him to make these improvements this season. I guess he'll need to work on his game with the Toros.

$pursDynasty
11-24-2014, 04:08 PM
JaMychal Green - 27pts, 14rebs, 2stl, 1blk :tu
I still don't see what Pop sees in Daye, because I have a feeling that Green would bring more to the roster. Daye has a more Euro game, might have more range but Green does everything better to the eye. Green can't guard centers like Ayers, so I understand keeping Ayers but I don't see why we keep Daye.

ceperez
11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
I still don't see what Pop sees in Daye, because I have a feeling that Green would bring more to the roster. Daye has a more Euro game, might have more range but Green does everything better to the eye. Green can't guard centers like Ayers, so I understand keeping Ayers but I don't see why we keep Daye.

Considering that were talking about a end of the bench player. These kind of players normally need to know what to do when they are inserted in the lineup. It is not enough to be individually be a good player, you need to know how to play with the existing players. In short, be at the right spot when you receive the ball, pass the ball the right way to the right person, help out in defense and offense by being at the right spot.

So yes, Green looks pretty good, yet there are lots of players like this in the D-League and in the NBA that the Spurs aren't opening a spot for.

still.focused
11-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Maybe with a yr under their belts the rebuild would go a lil smoother
I would def like to see Green in the line up of a couple NBA games tho
See how he acts on the big stage

milkyway21
11-24-2014, 07:43 PM
KYLE ANDERSON RECALLED FROM AUSTIN SPURS?

after his 18pts, 11 rbds, 6 assts performance in a win vs Sta.Cruz Warriors :tu

Maddog
11-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Boris is such an enigmatic dude. Millions of dollars, probably an awesome crib in SA, he gets a Sunday off from being in shape for a living and he's in Cedar Park watching garbageball.

You gotta love him. He's even got a stat sheet
Maybe he sees KA with his playmaking as sort of a kindred spirit, albeit a slower thinner spirit

There is even a photo of a UTSA girls basketball game on his account

milkyway21
11-24-2014, 10:39 PM
How about a 10-15 min from this guy..
Wish Manu can mentor him a little bit :D

Baam
11-25-2014, 06:12 AM
Boris showing Kyle how to put on weight quickly tbh :

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10785019_1485254841757329_1735347947_n.jpg

100%duncan
11-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Boris is a really cool dude tbh

silverblackfan
11-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Boris showing Kyle how to put on weight quickly tbh :

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10785019_1485254841757329_1735347947_n.jpg

:bobo
If Boris is taking KA under his wing and teaching him the tricks of the trade, its all good. A Boris 'protege' would be awesome for the future.

SnakeBoy
11-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Why is Boris being so nice to a scrub that can't make it in the NBA?