PDA

View Full Version : And yet, he still played him more minutes than Green in some playoff games

testies
11-25-2014, 01:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhrIK35xCKo

:lol

100%duncan
11-25-2014, 01:30 AM
Sup timvp

SupremeGuy
11-25-2014, 02:18 AM
Damn, Pop going hard on the 3 point king. :lol

Silver&Black
11-25-2014, 02:22 AM
:worthy: :pop:

FlAVaK
11-25-2014, 03:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPeC_lrPows

SpursFan86
11-25-2014, 04:18 AM
In all seriousness, ideally Belinelli shouldn't get many playoff minutes at all. He was a massive liability in the playoffs. We went from destroying opponents with him off the court to getting destroyed with him on it.

Spurs with Belinelli on the court in the playoffs: got outscored by 8.9 points per 100 possessions
Spurs with Belinelli on the bench in the regular season: outscored opponents by 19.3 points per 100 possessions

That's a huge difference. And it only happened with Belinelli...it's not like the entire bench unit was the problem. Guys like Manu, Diaw, Mills...we did well with them on the court.

Manu can't play 30+ mpg throughout the entire playoffs, but given Kawhi/Green's ages, I'd rather see them get a heavier load in the playoffs. I'd prefer Belinelli to not play much more than 10 mpg. Obviously the regular season is a different story.

dabom
11-25-2014, 05:02 AM
In all seriousness, ideally Belinelli shouldn't get many playoff minutes at all. He was a massive liability in the playoffs. We went from destroying opponents with him off the court to getting destroyed with him on it.

Spurs with Belinelli on the court in the playoffs: got outscored by 8.9 points per 100 possessions
Spurs with Belinelli on the bench in the regular season: outscored opponents by 19.3 points per 100 possessions

That's a huge difference. And it only happened with Belinelli...it's not like the entire bench unit was the problem. Guys like Manu, Diaw, Mills...we did well with them on the court.

Manu can't play 30+ mpg throughout the entire playoffs, but given Kawhi/Green's ages, I'd rather see them get a heavier load in the playoffs. I'd prefer Belinelli to not play much more than 10 mpg. Obviously the regular season is a different story.

FromWayDowntown
11-25-2014, 12:11 PM

I think Marco's utility in the playoffs is more situational and based upon matchups than anything. He was bad against Dallas, undoubtedly, but he played well against Portland. He was invisible against OKC, but he was solid in Game 1 of the Finals and then arguably hit the most important shot of the Finals for the Spurs late in the 3rd Quarter of Game 3 to push the Spurs lead back out to 10 after Miami had found some traction and gained some momentum in cutting the lead to 7 on a 10-0 run; Miami basically never got closer again for the rest of the Finals.

I prefer Belinelli to Neal in that role, mostly because I think Belinelli is a more capable ball handler and play maker with that unit; he's not the ridiculous shooter that Neal could be, but he's ultimately more efficient. Defensively the two are about a wash. But if you wanted to argue for Neal, I think you could say that in a monster playoff moment, he's the one whose more likely to play with great confidence. Fortunately, the Spurs have plenty of guys at this point who have played and played well in those big moments.

100%duncan
11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
I dont get the hate on Beli. He is a good regular season player who can net us a lot of wins while our guys rest up. In the playoffs nothing big is really much expected of him just hitting shots here and there. He doesnt have a role like Bonner circa 2009-2012 when we expected him to actually produce in big moments only to get disappointed every time.

Spur|n|Austin
11-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Playoff minutes? You do know the Spurs won the championship last season don't you OP?

rmt
11-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Belli is needed to get the Spurs through the regular season. He is bigger than and has (more) playmaking, (slightly less) shotmaking than Neal.

$pursDynasty
11-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Belli is needed to get the Spurs through the regular season. He is bigger than and has (more) playmaking, (slightly less) shotmaking than Neal.
To be honest especially with Patty out I wish we had Gary back on the roster, better than Daye everyday of the week, and besides the Belli/Manu chemistry, Neal with it was/is better than King Belli in every way as well. He would better offset the lack of Patty's bench points. Any chance Jordan would trade him back to us for Belli and Daye?

dabom
11-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Neal would have a ring too but Pop and Manu weren't having none of that. Neal had greater playoff success too.

Brazil
11-25-2014, 02:42 PM
To be honest especially with Patty out I wish we had Gary back on the roster, better than Daye everyday of the week, and besides the Belli/Manu chemistry, Neal with it was/is better than King Belli in every way as well. He would better offset the lack of Patty's bench points. Any chance Jordan would trade him back to us for Belli and Daye?

the fact we are winning with a poor offense is the def... Neal in is less min for Green, Cojo... both great defenders...so Neal can stay wherever the fuck he is

DesignatedT
11-25-2014, 03:33 PM
I prefer Belinelli to Neal. Belinelli has more playmaking ability and can create for others and handle the ball better. Neal was just a chucker who would get hot at times. Neal was great here when we didn't have many weapons but that last thing I would want to see right now is Neal taking shots away from our other guys.

EVAY
11-25-2014, 03:51 PM
I prefer Belinelli to Neal. Belinelli has more playmaking ability and can create for others and handle the ball better. Neal was just a chucker who would get hot at times. Neal was great here when we didn't have many weapons but that last thing I would want to see right now is Neal taking shots away from our other guys.

Mel_13
11-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Beli's a Spur, Neal left to get paid. That's the end of the story as far as I'm concerned.

Raven
11-25-2014, 04:07 PM
I dont get the hate on Beli. He is a good regular season player who can net us a lot of wins while our guys rest up. In the playoffs nothing big is really much expected of him just hitting shots here and there. He doesnt have a role like Bonner circa 2009-2012 when we expected him to actually produce in big moments only to get disappointed every time.

it's simple really, there is no such thing as a good or bad regular season player, there is only a good or bad player getting exposed or not. So if he gets exposed in the play offs, it means he's not good period.

Mel_13
11-25-2014, 04:09 PM
it's simple really, there is no such thing as a good or bad regular season player, there is only a good or bad player getting exposed or not. So if he gets exposed in the play offs, it means he's not good period.

Except that Beli was a good regular season player, period.

Raven
11-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Except that Beli was a good regular season player, period.

so let's cut him at the deadline then..

Mel_13
11-25-2014, 04:14 PM
so let's cut him at the deadline then..

Makes no sense for at least two reasons:

1. Plenty of regular season games remain after the deadline.

2. There are at least 5 players on every playoff team who only play in garbage time or in the event of foul trouble or injury. Those players aren't cut before the playoffs. Your irrational Beli hate continues to show.

Mugen
11-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Beli was great last regular season. He was meh in the playoffs but hit some big shots and was still part of a dominant championship team :lol

Gonna be invaluable again when Manu suffers his annual 2-3 week injury tbh.

dabom
11-25-2014, 04:23 PM
BIG SHOTS? This stupid fucking myth in ST. :lmao
More like they almost lost the lead while he was playing because he fucking sucks.

Cry Havoc
11-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Beli is a solid player, especially in the regular season. He helps us get HCA, therefore he's pretty dammed valuable.

Who else is out there that could do what Beli does for us?

timtonymanu
11-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I don't like Belinelli at all, but it would be idiotic for the Spurs to cut him. Especially right now, with our guards getting hurt.

He is what he is. As long as Pop doesn't give him significant minutes in the playoffs, Beli will be fine.

ElNono
11-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Every team has player with flaws. Beli is a great role player, and he's an above average player against 80% of the teams we play during the year.

Plus, his defensive deficiencies only go as far as the other team's coach can exploit them. For example, he had a great series against Portland because Terry Stotts is a below average coach.

ElNono
11-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Also, his contribution to ball movement on this team is underrated. He's a great passer, unselfish and with solid court vision...

DarrinS
11-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Also, his contribution to ball movement on this team is underrated. He's a great passer, unselfish and with solid court vision...

Manu, Diaw, and Beli are the best passers on the team.

SpursFan86
11-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Just to clarify: I'm sure as hell not on the "Belinelli needs to be traded! He's worse than Neal!" bandwagon. I was just pointing out that his utility decreases noticeably once we get to the playoffs, and that I'd prefer to see Green/Kawhi have an increase in their minutes at the expense of Marco playing less.

Marco is absolutely useful in the regular season, and as someone mentioned, still has some use in the playoffs. Not like I think he shouldn't even suit up in the playoffs or anything.

spurraider21
11-25-2014, 06:15 PM
https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/87500663e02a5ae741fbfa7a6c7aab369fab5ea48eaee3c594 fb3356ea55751f_large

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--OLwT1ME2--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ykuwteohnwmec5ugugft.gif

100%duncan
11-25-2014, 06:51 PM

It's hard to discuss anything with you since you said before that beli is one of the worst players in the league.

xellos88330
11-25-2014, 07:02 PM
https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/87500663e02a5ae741fbfa7a6c7aab369fab5ea48eaee3c594 fb3356ea55751f_large

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--OLwT1ME2--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ykuwteohnwmec5ugugft.gif

Best part about these gifs is watching the time that was left on the shot clock before launching these prayers.

hater
11-25-2014, 07:54 PM
just like Bonner comes in for the comedy relief, Ferrari comes in to put up shots and score in bunches while giving opposing defense fits. If he can come back in and do that then he's earned his paycheck.

we form like Boltron and Ferrari happens to be the meatbolas