PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Chandler Parsons

RsxPiimp
11-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Let's make one thing clear -- Parsons is just 14 games into a $46 million contract that will make him a Mavericks for more than 164 games, and possibly more than 246 if chooses to opt in at the end of it. It's incredibly, ridiculously early to make any defining judgments that this or that is the way the rest of his Dallas Mavericks career will go.

However, there are things about Parsons' play we need to address. Our staff came together to look at his issues from every perspective we felt was crucial to his narrative through the first 14 games.

To date, the Mavericks have played seven 'good' teams - the Spurs, Pelicans, Trail Blazers, Heat, Kings, Wizards, and Rockets. They are 3-4 in those games, with maddening losses to the depleted Spurs and Rockets, while getting blown out by the Heat and Blazers. Over that seven-game sample, Parsons is averaging 11 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 1.5 assists. He shooting a God-awful 34 percent from the field and an eye-bleeding 26 percent from deep. Of those seven games, he only has two really solid performances: against the Pelicans and Kings. To be fair, he played really well in both these contests, which means in those other five games he's been a tire fire of despair (7.8 points, 5 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 28% shooting, 16% from three).

In addition to his raw stats, he really looks lost a great deal of the time on offense. Unless his shot falls early, Parsons has a tendency to float around the three point line calling for the ball. Unlike his predecessor Shawn Marion, Parsons rarely cuts. It's getting to the point to where I may refer to him as Stand There Parsons. His jumper is so flat that the Houston Rockets announcers wondered if something was wrong with him. Unfortunately for Mavs fans, the straight line shot is all we've ever known from Parsons.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2014/11/24/7271523/chandler-parsons-disappointing-start-dallas-mavericks-dilemma

So far, looks like Houston dodged a bullet especially with Ariza fitting perfectly with the Rox.

djohn2oo8
11-25-2014, 08:51 PM
They are panicking after 14 games.

m>s
11-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Dude is ass

BatManu20
11-25-2014, 09:15 PM
14 games.. while they definitely overpaid, he'll get better with time, just like all players do once they get more comfortable with their role in the system .

hater
11-25-2014, 09:26 PM
14 games.. while they definitely overpaid, he'll get better with time, just like all players do once they get more comfortable with their role in the system .

?

BatManu20
11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
?

Like most* players who have real talent do, tbh.

ezau
11-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Cuban played a one-upmanship game against Morey during the offseason. This is his fault, tbh.

anakha
11-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Cuban played a one-upmanship game against Morey during the offseason. This is his fault, tbh.

That dickwaving was entertaining as hell for Spurs fans, though.

ezau
11-25-2014, 10:19 PM
That dickwaving was entertaining as hell for Spurs fans, though.

True

mavsfan1000
11-25-2014, 11:06 PM
He is a bust. Even more so though is Jameer Nelson.

Thread
11-25-2014, 11:43 PM

But, Media won't touch The Cubes.

angrydude
11-25-2014, 11:43 PM
What's ironic is Carlisle is supposed to be the great coach.

How does Mchale make an extremely average NBA player look like a borderline allstar when Carlisle cannot.

djohn2oo8
11-25-2014, 11:45 PM
What's ironic is Carlisle is supposed to be the great coach.

How does Mchale make an extremely average NBA player look like a borderline allstar when Carisle cannot.

I know you aren't serious. Carlisle has a ring, McHale can't get past the first round. It's only 14 games into the season, Parsons will progress but he isn't a star, and McHale had nothing to do with how he looked last year.

ezau
11-25-2014, 11:51 PM
But, Media won't touch The Cubes.

Sup, Cub?

angrydude
11-26-2014, 12:05 AM
I know you aren't serious. Carlisle has a ring, McHale can't get past the first round. It's only 14 games into the season, Parsons will progress but he isn't a star, and McHale had nothing to do with how he looked last year.

Obviously McHale is a shit coach.

I just think it's funny Carlisle is failing

djohn2oo8
11-26-2014, 12:22 AM

Carlisle isn't failing. It's early in the season. Parsons has to want to improve.

anakha
11-26-2014, 12:56 AM

Not even Pop can work his magic if the player doesn't put forth the effort.

If Parsons fails spectacularly this season, I'd blame him more than I'd blame Carlisle.

apalisoc_9
11-26-2014, 01:24 AM
http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/LeonardMVP.jpg

monosylab1k
11-26-2014, 01:30 AM

I applauded the offer sheet only because I thought for sure Houston would match. I honestly think Cuban did too. He was trying to fuck their cap situation and I bet he was secretly mad as hell that Houston let Parsons go.

He'll turn things around eventually, but he pretty clearly showed his ceiling as a player last season. Cuban tried playing chess with Morey, only for Morey to flip the board over and shove his fist up Mark's ass.

ezau
11-26-2014, 01:37 AM
I applauded the offer sheet only because I thought for sure Houston would match. I honestly think Cuban did too. He was trying to fuck their cap situation and I bet he was secretly mad as hell that Houston let Parsons go.

He'll turn things around eventually, but he pretty clearly showed his ceiling as a player last season. Cuban tried playing chess with Morey, only for Morey to flip the board over and shove his fist up Mark's ass.

Cuban should leave it to the pros, tbh. His job is to make the Mavs a contender by opening his checkbook when needed.

scanry
11-26-2014, 01:38 AM

What makes it worse is that they lucked out on a player who's getting paid less than half of Chandler playing better d and shooting better.

Franklin
11-26-2014, 01:39 AM
Parsons is just a glorified Chase Budinger tbh. Dude got some nice stats playing on a team where no one is required to play defense. Mavs offered him 15m/yr in the attempt, just as my nigga djohn said, to screw up Lockets' cap space, yet Morey acted as a genius again by not matching that offer. No doubt RC is way better a coach than McHale, but Donnie and Cuban are known idiots who were made a pair of fools by Morey tbh.

Franklin
11-26-2014, 01:42 AM

Truth bomb, once and again the retarded pair of Donnie and Cuban hampered them Mavs. Getting TC back to Dallas was a good move though, which is the main reason why we're looking slightly better than last season tbh.

Roxsfan
11-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Cuban tried playing chess with Morey, only for Morey to flip the board over and shove his fist up Mark's ass.

Sounds about right.

Robz4000
11-26-2014, 02:40 AM
Morey's a retard too. McHale is a shitty coach but he's just acting as a yes-man for Morey in the first place. His idea for a system is extremely flawed and the only reason Houston is even a playoff team is because dwert and Harden are regular season superstars.

:lol only shooting 3s or layups/dunks

GuerillaBlack
11-26-2014, 03:37 AM
Morey's a retard too. McHale is a shitty coach but he's just acting as a yes-man for Morey in the first place. His idea for a system is extremely flawed and the only reason Houston is even a playoff team is because dwert and Harden are regular season superstars.

:lol only shooting 3s or layups/dunks

Don't understand why people think that is Moreys system. Conveniently forgetting the players Morey has drafted/traded for since he has been GM. Another media hype rumor that the Rockets only want 3s (what is wrong with layups/dunks/points in the paint tbh?).

anakha
11-26-2014, 03:55 AM
Don't understand why people think that is Moreys system. Conveniently forgetting the players Morey has drafted/traded for since he has been GM. Another media hype rumor that the Rockets only want 3s (what is wrong with layups/dunks/points in the paint tbh?).

Isn't their D-League affiliate redefining "live and die by the three"? Isn't that an indicator of the style the Rockets FO wants to push?

Serious question, tbh

noob cake
11-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Isn't their D-League affiliate redefining "live and die by the three"? Isn't that an indicator of the style the Rockets FO wants to push?

Serious question, tbh

Just testing the system without consequence.

King's D-League team should try that 4 player on defense + 1 cherry picker system.

Thread
11-26-2014, 05:02 AM

tee, hee.

Robz4000
11-26-2014, 05:41 AM

Trading for Harden and taking the risk on dwert (not much of one imo) were great moves and I'm not denying his ability to draft (Parsons is overrated but Jones and DMo were great finds). However, most everything else has been luck or dumb.

Malik Hairston
11-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Carlisle really isn't failing at all, tbh..

While a lot of Spurs fans illogically feared the Mavs, people like myself have been discussing their flaws for the entire off-season..

It's a huge credit to Dirk and Carlisle(and Monta/Chandler) for the Mavs playing extremely well this season, despite having arguably the worst starting PG in the league, no perimeter defense, no depth and Chandler Parsons..crazy to think that their offense began the season on a historic pace..

And Chandler/Barea look competent after looking terrible last year, too, which is obviously due to the Mavs system(and Chandler's health, but still)..

Killakobe81
11-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Carlisle really isn't failing at all, tbh..

While a lot of Spurs fans illogically feared the Mavs, people like myself have been discussing their flaws for the entire off-season..

It's a huge credit to Dirk and Carlisle(and Monta/Chandler) for the Mavs playing extremely well this season, despite having arguably the worst starting PG in the league, no perimeter defense, no depth and Chandler Parsons..crazy to think that their offense began the season on a historic pace..

And Chandler/Barea look competent after looking terrible last year, too, which is obviously due to the Mavs system(and Chandler's health, but still)..

Zach Lowe just wrote a Grantland feature on their offensive efficiency which despite losing recently (2 of 3) is very high. Parsons is trying to hard, he should be fine. Carlisle is a genius and they will still be dangerous in the playoffs because of RC, dirk and Tyson manning the paint in THAT order. And When Ellis is "on" the Dirk/Montae PnR is filthy. If Parsons figures things out they could move him to SG and play Aminu for defense ... not a Aminu fan but they lack perimeter defense and that is their biggest weakness as a legit contender.

Harlem is right the resurrection of JJB is proof positive of Rc's brillance. i thought he was done.

Malik Hairston
11-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Aminu would be perfect if he could shoot, obviously, but everybody has been saying that about him since he entered the NBA..

It looks like he's going to be another Mbah a Moute, everybody said the same thing about him for years, too..

Killakobe81
11-26-2014, 08:56 AM

Not hating Gb, you have always been one of the coolest Rox posters ... but whether fact or fiction I have heard that from multiple commentators doing national TV broadcasts (JVG?/Breen?not sure of others) and If I am not mistaken also have heard that from Zack Lowe before he joined Grantland when he used to write "the Point Forward on SI.com. it could be exaggerated but they are getting that from SOMEWHERE. And if you watch them play it does support the theory ...

I do think it is the preferred play style of deep analytics guys because those plays have the best success rate. And since Morey is a guru in the field I think it's assumed his teams will support it.

djohn2oo8
11-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Article on Morey trying to do away with mid range shots in the dleague and you can bet it has trickled up to the http://grantland.com/the-triangle/trio-grande-valley-daryl-moreys-d-league-plan-to-do-away-with-midrange-shots/

djohn2oo8
11-26-2014, 09:14 AM
And Guerillablack, when the 3 isn't falling you need a mid range game.

Raven
11-26-2014, 09:24 AM
dallas should be happy they got him, i mean yes he's way overpaid, but going from aminu to parsons has to feel good.

Raven
11-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Aminu would be perfect if he could shoot, obviously, but everybody has been saying that about him since he entered the NBA..

It looks like he's going to be another Mbah a Moute, everybody said the same thing about him for years, too..

he'd be great if he could shoot or handle the ball or pass, on top of defending as good as he is hyped for (which i don't agree he does).

Malik Hairston
11-26-2014, 09:45 AM
The mid-range game is irrelevant, tbh..

Houston shooting nothing but 3s and attacking the rim is fine, their problem is that their system(or lack thereof) is way too predictable in the playoffs..you can only run Harden ISO so many times, tbh..it would be different if they got their looks in the same way that the Spurs do..

That and their team just doesn't have that much talent IMO..their starting lineup is stacked, but that bench is atrocious..those backup bigs(Black and Dorsey) are really bad, especially(Montejunas is alright, I suppose)..

Thread
11-26-2014, 09:49 AM
dallas should be happy they got him, i mean yes he's way overpaid, but going from aminu to parsons has to feel good.

Bend over. I'll makin' your fuckin' aminu feel fuckin' good.

Killakobe81
11-26-2014, 09:50 AM
he'd be great if he could shoot or handle the ball or pass, on top of defending as good as he is hyped for (which i don't agree he does).

I agree overrated defensively but what other options do they have? Parsons, eliis and Dirk are subpar defenders at best. Tyson covers a lot of sins but even he cant cover for everyone and is not as good as he was in 2011 ...

Dallas will still be dangerous but ringing will prove difficult. in 2011 they had Kidd, Lincoln, Marion (along with Tyson protecting the rim) to throw at perimeter players now they have ...aminu? And JJB's flops?

midnightpulp
11-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Bend over. I'll makin' your fuckin' aminu feel fuckin' good.

What's the plans for old Thanksgiving, Cub?

Kids and the grandkids stopping by? Katie girl making a ham or turkey?

GuerillaBlack
11-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Serious question, tbh

Trading for Harden and taking the risk on dwert (not much of one imo) were great moves and I'm not denying his ability to draft (Parsons is overrated but Jones and DMo were great finds). However, most everything else has been luck or dumb.

What I mean is, Morey has traded for and drafted players that shoot the midrange. Outside of Harden, the Rockets don't have anyone that can shoot it consistently. He just failed this summer at signing a player that can hit that shot consistently.

Not hating Gb, you have always been one of the coolest Rox posters ... but whether fact or fiction I have heard that from multiple commentators doing national TV broadcasts (JVG?/Breen?not sure of others) and If I am not mistaken also have heard that from Zack Lowe before he joined Grantland when he used to write "the Point Forward on SI.com. it could be exaggerated but they are getting that from SOMEWHERE. And if you watch them play it does support the theory ...

I do think it is the preferred play style of deep analytics guys because those plays have the best success rate. And since Morey is a guru in the field I think it's assumed his teams will support it.

I think what the Rockets don't like is the long 2. That's when they preach to just step back and try for the extra point. Open midrange jumpers should be taken. Points in the paint is great because it also leads to FT attempts.

100%duncan
11-26-2014, 11:58 AM
No shit, who likes long 2's except for Kirby?

Killakobe81
11-26-2014, 12:30 PM
No shit, who likes long 2's except for Kirby?

If you read the article that Djohn posted Lowe argues that elite level mid range shooters should take that shot (he cites Dirk, Wade Kobe etc.). Kobe sucks at 3's now and even sucks at contested long two's but open deep mid-range shots are money for the guys mentioned and are generally the shots that many defenses encourage opposing teams to take. A Dirk long 2 is a thing of beauty tbh ...

djohn2oo8
11-26-2014, 12:53 PM
The mid-range game is irrelevant, tbh..

Houston shooting nothing but 3s and attacking the rim is fine, their problem is that their system(or lack thereof) is way too predictable in the playoffs..you can only run Harden ISO so many times, tbh..it would be different if they got their looks in the same way that the Spurs do..

That and their team just doesn't have that much talent IMO..their starting lineup is stacked, but that bench is atrocious..those backup bigs(Black and Dorsey) are really bad, especially(Montejunas is alright, I suppose)..
This. I was in support of getting a third star, but Morey not being prepared for Bosh to say no is affecting them now, that and his unwillingness to screw with cap flexibility and it's shameful.

djohn2oo8
11-27-2014, 10:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CzYdDDi.png