PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: I got banned from Thunder Fans

Uriel
11-28-2014, 07:32 PM
It doesn't make any sense. I never made an account there. I never posted there. I never even did anything there. All I did was lurk.

Then, it hit me. Their administrators must have detected from my IP Address that I came from SpursTalk. So apparently, merely being associated with SpursTalk is now grounds for being banned from other teams' forums.

spurraider21
11-28-2014, 07:34 PM
i doubt that very much

Malik Hairston
11-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Spurs fans have been blackballed there since the "Patrick Beverly Appreciation Thread", tbh..they didn't take kindly to that at ThunderFans:lol..

elmanutres
11-28-2014, 07:38 PM
doubt it. I have a troll account waiting to use when the time is right and it's still up and running

Buddy Mignon
11-28-2014, 07:38 PM
It doesn't make any sense. I never made an account there. I never posted there. I never even did anything there. All I did was lurk.

Then, it hit me. Their administrators must have detected from my IP Address that I came from SpursTalk. So apparently, merely being associated with SpursTalk is now grounds for being banned from other teams' forums.

They anticipated your stupidity and lack of basketball knowledge. Don't feel bad, this site does that for you.

hater
11-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Their administrators must have detected from my IP Address that I came from SpursTalk.

:lol this is not possible dummy

Reck
11-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Can someone be this fucking dumb? :lol

RD2191
11-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Uriel with them evolution goods.

spurraider21
11-28-2014, 08:15 PM
:wakeup

RD2191
11-28-2014, 08:16 PM
:lol

Uriel
11-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Can someone be this fucking dumb? :lol
Site administrators can detect which website a user comes from via their IP address. For instance, if I'm on SpursTalk, then go to ThunderFans, they'll be able to tell where I came from.

It's called website analytics. Google it.

Uriel
11-28-2014, 08:31 PM
:rolleyes

ElNono
11-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Site administrators can detect which website a user comes from via their IP address. For instance, if I'm on SpursTalk, then go to ThunderFans, they'll be able to tell where I came from.

They can't do that via the IP address. What you're talking about is called HTTP referer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer) and it only happens when you click on a link in Spurstalk that takes you to their site.

I don't outright know why they banned you, but your IP has likely nothing to do with it.

ElNono
11-28-2014, 08:40 PM
BTW, did you use the same nickname there as here?

Reck
11-28-2014, 08:40 PM

I'm no techy but this is very innacurate.

You can only analyze data from a particular user when he or she is on your site and that is only to inform the webmaster how frequently you visit his site via your IP, not to track where you come from and where you'll go.

That's more along the lines of what a hacker do.

Again, not an expert or even mildly knowledgeable about the interwebs but I'm certain an admin of a board cant tell where you just came from. The whole I know where you just came from its very far fetch and implausible at best.

Uriel
11-28-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm no techy but this is very innacurate.

You can only analyze data from a particular user when he or she is on your site and that is only to inform the webmaster how frequently you visit his site via your IP, not to track where you come from and where you'll go.

That's more along the lines of what a hacker do.

Again, not an expert or even mildly knowledgeable about the interwebs but I'm certain an admin of a board cant tell where you just came from. The whole I know where you just came from its very far fetch and implausible at best.
You're clearly no techie. :lmao

You say you're "certain" of it, but you've obviously never used an analytics tool. I suggest once again that you Google what website analytics are, and marvel at how powerful they can be. Because what you refer to as "far-fetched" and "implausible" is reality.

Uriel
11-28-2014, 08:50 PM
They can't do that via the IP address. What you're talking about is called HTTP referer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer) and it only happens when you click on a link in Spurstalk that takes you to their site.

I don't outright know why they banned you, but your IP has likely nothing to do with it.
Then how else would you explain this, considering I've never even posted in that website:

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here (http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/sendmessage.php).

Uriel
11-28-2014, 08:50 PM
BTW, did you use the same nickname there as here?
No. I told you, I never made an account there. I never posted. I never did anything. All I did was lurk.

spurraider21
11-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Then how else would you explain this, considering I've never even posted in that website:

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here (http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/sendmessage.php).
its common to ban somebody's IP address instead of a username tbh... that prevents you from circumventing their "ban" by just making a new account. that doesn't mean they banned you BECAUSE of your IP

maybe they banned all Aussie IP's because Adams is from New Zealand :lol

ElNono
11-28-2014, 08:55 PM

It's possible they banned a whole block of IPs if they're getting attacked. We've done that in the past in some of our sites when we're getting hammered from certain addresses.

Try later, but I suspect it's not just you.

TE
11-28-2014, 08:56 PM
They banned my account but I can still lurk.

Reck
11-28-2014, 08:58 PM

You say you're "certain" of it, but you've obviously never used an analytics tool. I suggest once again that you Google what website analytics are, and marvel at how powerful they can be. Because what you refer to as "far-fetched" and "implausible" is reality.

I may be wrong, but you ain't right either.

Uriel
11-28-2014, 08:58 PM
It's possible they banned a whole block of IPs if they're getting attacked. We've done that in the past in some of our sites when we're getting hammered from certain addresses.

Try later, but I suspect it's not just you.
Ah, I see. That would explain it. Thanks. :tu

100%duncan
11-28-2014, 09:20 PM
That forum makes lakersfan look smart

hater
11-28-2014, 09:41 PM

:lmao I run. My cartel websites and there's no fucking way they will bother to check IPs that went to spurstalk and ban them IF thats even possible which is not unless they are sniffing your network. Wake up. With the gigabytes of data a millisecond they are not going to bother even trying.

Now the most plausible explanation is that they either banned a bunch of users or a block of IP addresses like my Mexican brother Nono said

Hemotivo
11-28-2014, 09:51 PM
power off your modem/router and try again?

baseline bum
11-28-2014, 09:51 PM
LOL that site banned me before I could make a post there when I was going there to wish them luck in the 2012 Finals after winning the WCF, as I was rooting for them since Westbrook was a Bruin and Bennett a former Spurs owner. And plus I hate Seattle.

spurraider21
11-28-2014, 10:05 PM
LOL that site banned me before I could make a post there when I was going there to wish them luck in the 2012 Finals after winning the WCF, as I was rooting for them since Westbrook was a Bruin and Bennett a former Spurs owner. And plus I hate Seattle.
:cry save our sonics
:cry sonicsgate

ezau
11-28-2014, 11:19 PM

Right on:lol

Spurs9
11-29-2014, 12:47 AM
Try from a proxy. They could possibly see if you had clicked thru from spurs talk, and then identify your IP, which is highly unlikely. Alternatively if they were spiteful enough they could identify if you had a spurstalk cookie, and ban you. But if that was the case everyone who viewed the board would have the same behavior. :lol the dummy admins probably just blocked a large subnet which you fall in, like blocking a /8 or something :lol

ElNono
11-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Try from a proxy. They could possibly see if you had clicked thru from spurs talk, and then identify your IP, which is highly unlikely. Alternatively if they were spiteful enough they could identify if you had a spurstalk cookie, and ban you. But if that was the case everyone who viewed the board would have the same behavior. :lol the dummy admins probably just blocked a large subnet which you fall in, like blocking a /8 or something :lol

Spurstalk cookies are domain-only. They can't read them without an exploit. I bet you they did block an entire subnet temporarily.

KaiRMD1
11-29-2014, 01:01 AM
I got banned last year for apparently talking too much shit. I lasted two days there

Reck
11-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Spurstalk cookies are domain-only. They can't read them without an exploit. I bet you they did block an entire subnet temporarily.

Is vbulleting hosting their site?

I've encounter issues with certain boards using chrome. Mainly free boards though. They range from me getting a page error to my ip being banned despite me never having been there before.

Usually if you go to that same board using a different browser, the problem would go away.

Splits
11-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Site did the same to me on my airVPN proxy, I switched servers and everything was fine. Also never had a registered account. Whoever runs that site is terrified of ST

ElNono
11-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Is vbulleting hosting their site?

I've encounter issues with certain boards using chrome. Mainly free boards though. They range from me getting a page error to my ip being banned despite me never having been there before.

Usually if you go to that same board using a different browser, the problem would go away.

Nah, they're renting a server from hostgator, off of Houston, TX

FkLA
11-29-2014, 02:17 AM
What do you do, Nono? You seem like one smart ass Mexican. Kinda like me tbh.

DMC
11-29-2014, 02:30 AM

So Spurstalk is your internet provider or are you just using it as a proxy? Btw, they banned me because I have a SI cover with the Spurs on it somewhere in my house.

ElNono
11-29-2014, 02:33 AM
What do you do, Nono? You seem like one smart ass Mexican. Kinda like me tbh.

software/hardware development, tbh

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2014, 03:16 AM

:lol He banned your IP. It didn't say he looked up your IP.

Cry Havoc
11-29-2014, 03:36 AM
That forum makes lakersfan look smart

Not possible. At all. Ever. The only site that's had the ability to do that is clutchfans, but that's basically the 4chan of basketball forums.

FkLA
11-29-2014, 04:26 AM

not bad, che :tu

Slomo
11-29-2014, 01:22 PM

Unless Kim actually broke the internet - the above is not possible.

The only way for this would be if you used a link on ST that sent you to that site. Even in that case the link would have to be formatted in a certain way so that the other site would recognize the referrral from ST.

If you type an URL the other site's server has no way to knowing where you are coming from. If you want to track somebody's internet history without access to his computer's data some other (quite complex) mechanism would need to be in place and sites would have to cooperate (or at least be hacked).

Raven
11-29-2014, 01:25 PM
:lol noob

ElNono
11-29-2014, 01:54 PM
not bad, che :tu

:tu

Spurs9
11-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Systems Engineer here tbh

ElNono
11-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Systems Engineer here tbh

:tu

baseline bum
11-29-2014, 02:20 PM
selling oranges on the side of the road, tbh

fify son

DMC
11-29-2014, 02:31 PM
El, you sell oranges? Where are you located bro?

ElNono
11-29-2014, 02:59 PM
lol haters

ElNono
11-29-2014, 03:00 PM
El, you sell oranges? Where are you located bro?

La pulga del Alamo, IMO

Splits
11-29-2014, 03:21 PM
And all this time I thought you were a musician (https://www.facebook.com/sebaslucero12/photos_stream?tab=photos), smh

ElNono
11-29-2014, 03:26 PM
And all this time I thought you were a musician (https://www.facebook.com/sebaslucero12/photos_stream?tab=photos), smh

:lol lots of Nonos everywhere, tbh

SupremeGuy
11-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Then, it hit me. Their administrators must have detected from my IP Address that I came from SpursTalk. So apparently, merely being associated with SpursTalk is now grounds for being banned from other teams' forums.Sounds like you got backtraced, and the consequences will never be the same, tbh.