PDA

View Full Version : A New Improved Parker

Spursfanfromafar
11-29-2014, 01:17 AM
Tony Parker before 2014-15:

Speedy PG, Nice court vision, killer floater, Good post moves, Decent midrange jumper, up and down defense (gets up against the elite PGs, coasts otherwise), 3 pt range limited to corners, great ballhandling, nice balance between scoring and assists, knackered due to long offseason (international play)..

Tony Parker in 2014-15:

Almost all of above positives plus... Best three point mark (16/24) after 15 games in NBA ever (smallish sample size but shot selection is still awesome), solid defense, much more well prepared physically after resting in the offseason, slightly down in efficiency, but gearing up well and stats trending upwards.

apalisoc_9
11-29-2014, 01:21 AM
Small sample size and he was poor against most good teams...

Been making it up against average to bad teams...

BillMc
11-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Will Tony be our rep in the 3 point contest this year at the All-Star team?

Old School 44
11-29-2014, 08:49 AM
^Does Beli get an auto invite as defending champ?

EVAY
11-29-2014, 09:57 AM

you are soooooooo pathetic.

apalisoc_9
11-29-2014, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes

He was averaging 11 points in a 6 game stretch before the spurs went back home...good for him the spurs are finally playing shitty teams so he score 25+

BillMc
11-29-2014, 10:49 AM
^Does Beli get an auto invite as defending champ?

I don't know. Is that an actual rule?

look_at_g_shred
11-29-2014, 11:57 AM
:rolleyes

He was averaging 11 points in a 6 game stretch before the spurs went back home...good for him the spurs are finally playing shitty teams so he score 25+
Your parker schtick sucks bro. You know how many teams would welcome parker with open arms, and yet he is on OUR team. Smdh...

Raven
11-29-2014, 12:40 PM
it's good to see, but honestly his suckiness from the 3 point line never made much sense in the first place.

ElNono
11-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Tony has put together a bunch of good games after a slow start, which is great news for the Spurs...

11-29-2014, 02:38 PM
it's good to see, but honestly his suckiness from the 3 point line never made much sense in the first place.
tbh I always thought he had the ability but limited himself. Maybe Pop told him not to idk.

2centsworth
11-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Tony is the 2nd best PG in the NBA.

apalisoc_9
11-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Tony is the 2nd best PG in the NBA.

:lmao

itzsoweezee
11-29-2014, 05:12 PM
He's racking up stats against crappy teams. Let's hope he keeps it up against the grizzlies.

Mel_13
11-29-2014, 05:36 PM
tbh I always thought he had the ability but limited himself. Maybe Pop told him not to idk.

Chip Engelland became the shooting coach after the 2005 championship. His first major project was Parker's jump shot. The decision to stop taking 3s was a very deliberate part of that process.

Grantland did an excellent article on Engelland back in April. It's worth the read, imo. The specific part about Parker giving up the 3 point shot:

Engelland insisted that Parker take the 3-point shot out of his game, and he has; after averaging nearly 200 3-pointers per season during his four seasons in the league without Engelland — and hitting on just 31.5 percent of them — Parker has averaged just over 56 3-point attempts per season since.

http://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

apalisoc_9
11-29-2014, 05:36 PM
new improved = stat padding against shitty teams) :lmao

Continuously getting bailed by Kawhi and tim in important games :lol

ducks
11-29-2014, 05:43 PM
dude is the best point guard in nba according to barkley who knows more then most here

Mr Bones
11-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Chip Engelland became the shooting coach after the 2005 championship. His first major project was Parker's jump shot. The decision to stop taking 3s was a very deliberate part of that process.

Grantland did an excellent article on Engelland back in April. It's worth the read, imo. The specific part about Parker giving up the 3 point shot:

Engelland insisted that Parker take the 3-point shot out of his game, and he has; after averaging nearly 200 3-pointers per season during his four seasons in the league without Engelland — and hitting on just 31.5 percent of them — Parker has averaged just over 56 3-point attempts per season since.

That adjustment made sense and worked then, but now that Parker has shown serious consistent improvement with his mid-range, free throw, and three point shot, i think it's reasonable that he would shoot more from the three point line. In the past 5 years, he has averaged less than one 3 pt shot shot per game. Even if his attempts triple, that's still only 3 per game-- pretty low for a starting point guard.

Spurs 4 The Win
11-29-2014, 06:35 PM
new improved = stat padding against shitty teams) :lmao

Continuously getting bailed by Kawhi and tim in important games :lol

http://img.pandawhale.com/85878-you-are-so-dumb-meme-fo-real-i0zI.jpeg

Malik Hairston
11-29-2014, 08:49 PM
dude is the best point guard in nba according to barkley who knows more then most here

:lol do you want to list all of Barkley's opinions from the past few years alone?..he's one of the least knowledgeable analysts in the history of sports, tbh..

That genetic lottery, though..

Mugen
11-29-2014, 09:05 PM
:lol My nigga ducks tbh. Was apalisoc before all this schtick BS.....

Mugen
11-29-2014, 09:07 PM

Great f'n article tbh.

EVAY
11-29-2014, 09:55 PM

Outstanding article, really. Thanks for posting it.

howbouthemspurs
11-30-2014, 03:44 AM

http://i.minus.com/ibuzuZ1c3NY1sY.gif

Mel_13
11-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Though he remains at his best breaking down defenses with the dribble, the 32-year-old Parker says he plans to rely more heavily on the 3-pointer as he gets older and slows down.

As a model, Parker looks to former All-Star guard Jason Kidd, who did not become a reliable 3-point threat until his mid-30s.

“I’m still a penetrator and I’m going to create for people and myself,” Parker said. “But I know if I want to stay longer in this league, I’m going to have to make that shot.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-s-marksmanship-creates-multiple-benefits-5924875.php?t=9b2c55b877927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-tablet

Spursfanfromafar
11-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Though he remains at his best breaking down defenses with the dribble, the 32-year-old Parker says he plans to rely more heavily on the 3-pointer as he gets older and slows down.

As a model, Parker looks to former All-Star guard Jason Kidd, who did not become a reliable 3-point threat until his mid-30s.

“I’m still a penetrator and I’m going to create for people and myself,” Parker said. “But I know if I want to stay longer in this league, I’m going to have to make that shot.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-s-marksmanship-creates-multiple-benefits-5924875.php?t=9b2c55b877927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-tablet

TP has always been a smart adapter. If the three pointer becomes a regular beyond small sample size, I guess, TP will be probably be a complete PG now.

EVAY
11-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Well the law of averages means that Parker IS going to start missing a fair number of his attempted threes, so we should all expect that. Thing is, TP is not a Manu or Marco or Danny Green type of three point shooter where he can get the ball and shoot quickly. His style (at least so far) is much more measured, requiring some open space, some time (you can just see him settling himself for the shot) and a considerable amount of thought, apparently...or at least he DID require all of those things except for the last shot of the quarter the other night when he just dribbled into a shot that went in from about 7 feet beyond the three point line!!

But, even though it is likely to fall off, if he succeeds in getting the defense to run at him, much as he is successful in getting them to collapse on him when he is going into the paint, then it will create looks for other team members, as it did in the last game when he was run off the line and found Kawhi in the corner for his own three. Thank goodness Kawhi seems to be finding his three-point shot again. It was truly lost there for a bit this season.

BackHome
11-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Never understood the hate for Tony he is a great PG and without him I doubt we have as many rings as we do. For those of you who hate on him "WE JUST WON CHAMPIONSHIP"...."AGAIN"..be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it..:)

spurraider21
11-30-2014, 05:18 PM
:lol law of averages