PDA

View Full Version : UAB (Alabama-Birmingham) Football shutting down

FkLA
11-30-2014, 10:16 PM
They were never even a big threat to Alabama (Tuscaloosa), but from what I've read the UA Board of Regents has basically done everything in their power to keep UAB football down and have now succeeded in killing it. Pretty fucked up.

I wonder what UT would do if UTSA Football grew enough to become even a tiny threat?Hopefully not something like this tbh.

Pelicans78
11-30-2014, 10:37 PM
The sad part is they were horrible for years but hired a new coach who made them bowl eligible for the first time since 2004. It was a struggling program but they were improving. It's an excellent academic school so maybe the school wants to focus on that.

Pelicans78
11-30-2014, 10:48 PM
But yeah, UA has been sabotaging UAB's football program for years.

Pelicans78
11-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Hopefully bad karma happens to the Crimson Tide because of this.

Thankfully South Alabama doesn't have to deal with those assclowns. Same with Tulane although their administration has sabotaged them since 1998.

FkLA
11-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Every time I saw a UAB fan bitch about Bama on the C-USA board, I always just figured they were looking for someone to blame for their ineptitude all those years. They supposedly had an on-campus stadium proposal that just needed approval but was quickly shot down by the UA BORs. So greedy on Bama's part since UAB was really just a small blip on the radar.

BTW if C-USA decides to replace them...USA is the ideal replacement geographically and fits the profile of upstart programs with potential (which CUSA loves). I'd assume ULL would get first dibs though.

Pelicans78
11-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Every time I saw a UAB fan bitch about Bama on the C-USA board, I always just figured they were looking for someone to blame for their ineptitude all those years. They supposedly had an on-campus stadium proposal that just needed approval but was quickly shot down by the UA BORs. So greedy on Bama's part since UAB was really just a small blip on the radar.

BTW if C-USA decides to replace them...USA is the ideal replacement geographically and fits the profile of upstart programs with potential (which CUSA loves). I'd assume ULL would get first dibs though.

They also blocked an agreement UAB made with Jimbo Fisher to be their head coach a few years ago. He became FSU's offensive coordinator shortly after that.

USM and UAB were always blocking USA from getting into C-USA. Louisiana Tech does the same thing to ULL.

FkLA
11-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Damn I had no idea about the Jimbo Fisher thing. That is just wrong.

DMX7
11-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Pretty lame of the UA system to screw UAB. No reason UAB should be worse off than South Alabama.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Too bad, they were improving.

College athletics are really a joke once you take a good look at them.

I guess they will trade places with some Sun Belt school as was mentioned. Georgia State or USA would make a lot of sense if they are committed to maintaining their spending.

The Reckoning
12-01-2014, 12:52 AM
I wonder what UT would do if UTSA Football grew enough to become even a tiny threat?Hopefully not something like this tbh.

LOL.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Oh man, the basketball tournament is at UAB this year. Gonna be like a funeral.

2centsworth
12-01-2014, 01:26 AM
From what I've read UAB is an excellent school academically with it's hospital and research facilities. With the right support, like the hiring of Jimbo Fisher, it could have become very competitive recruiting true Student-Athletes. Too bad the inbreds have all the power in that state.

As far as UTSA is concerned, the city still hasn't adopted it as its team. Still think that needs to happen for UTSA to grow beyond C-USA.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2014, 02:11 AM
AAC is the ceiling for UTSA so there's not much to care about moving up.

Pelicans78
12-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Georgia St drops their football program in the near future. It's been a struggle since day one.

DMX7
12-01-2014, 07:59 PM
AAC is the ceiling for UTSA so there's not much to care about moving up.

We'd get killed in basketball in that conference but we could compete in football which is probably more important.

FkLA
12-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Georgia St drops their football program in the near future. It's been a struggle since day one.

I think they are supposed to purchase Turner Field and the surrounding area and turn it into their stadium and athletic complex. I don't think they would be looking to make that investment if they had plans to shut down in the near future. But if that doesn't breathe life into the program they might be fucked.

Don't want them in CUSA though. They have one win the past two seasons (vs a D2 team transitioning to FCS) and shitty attendance.

We'd get killed in basketball in that conference but we could compete in football which is probably more important.

Thompson needs to go after this season.

DMX7
12-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I think they are supposed to purchase Turner Field and the surrounding area and turn it into their stadium and athletic complex. I don't think they would be looking to make that investment if they had plans to shut down in the near future. But if that doesn't breathe life into the program they might be fucked.

Don't want them in CUSA though. They have one win the past two seasons (vs a D2 team transitioning to FCS) and shitty attendance.

Thompson needs to go after this season.

There's not much Thompson can do with UTSA's lackluster basketball facilities and hoops fan support. That's said, I wouldn't mind a change just to shake things up.

2centsworth
12-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Thompson is a good coach without tools. The facilities are horrible and I think less than 300 people showed-up for the last game.

blkroadrunners
12-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Thompson is a good coach without tools. The facilities are horrible and I think less than 300 people showed-up for the last game.

I always thought Thompson in his prime was a good late tournament coach, as he helped a 7-9 SLC team make it to the NCAA tournament, plus upset a really good LA Tech squad in the WAC tnmt a couple years back.

With that said, there's no excuse for a road team to walk down the court with seconds left and shoot an uncontested mid court shot to win the game.

DMX7
12-02-2014, 09:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rjDFNPqP4

FkLA
12-03-2014, 12:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvSuQEh6lI

Money is the official reason for the move. Yet that same BOTs will find a way to pay Saban $10 mill per year if the need to do that arises.