PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Simple formula that I thinks convincingly proves who is and isn't a great scorer.

midnightpulp
12-01-2014, 11:30 PM
If the player in question is higher on the all time missed shots list than he is on the all time scoring list, I can't consider him all that great of a scorer. He's simply a volume shooter who manufactured his scoring feats through attrition. Furthermore, the more separation a player has between his missed shots rank and his scoring rank is proportional to his ability as a scorer. If a player is 14th on the all time missed shots list but 9th on the all time scoring list, he could be considered an all time great scorer. That said, any positive separation is impressive.

Let's take a look at some players.

Kareem: 1st on the all time scoring list; 5th on the all time missed shots list.

Michael Jordan: 3rd on the all time scoring list; 6th on the all time missed shots list.

Shaq: 6th on the all time scoring list; 52nd on the all time missed shots list (impressive separation).

Dirk: 9th on the all time scoring list; 12th on the all time missed shots list.

Tim Duncan: 19th on the all time scoring list; 27th on the all time missed shots list.

John Havlicek: 13th on the all time scoring list; 2nd on the all time missed shots list.

Kobe Bryant: 4th on the all time scoring list; 1st on the all time missed shots list.

I think this simple yet powerful formula really does illustrate which players really are the all time great scorers of the league, much more accurately than antiquated metrics like PPG.

Discuss.

lefty
12-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Did Mike and Kareem go 1/14?

Do you need to review your formula?

Do you?

Do you?

AlexJones
12-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Have to include free throw misses in there. Each maybe worth 1/2 a miss.

Thread
12-02-2014, 12:23 AM
If the player in question is higher on the all time missed shots list than he is on the all time scoring list, I can't consider him all that great of a scorer. He's simply a volume shooter who manufactured his scoring feats through attrition. Furthermore, the more separation a player has between his missed shots rank and his scoring rank is proportional to his ability as a scorer. If a player is 14th on the all time missed shots list but 9th on the all time scoring list, he could be considered an all time great scorer. That said, any positive separation is impressive.

Let's take a look at some players.

Kareem: 1st on the all time scoring list; 5th on the all time missed shots list.

Michael Jordan: 3rd on the all time scoring list; 6th on the all time missed shots list.

Shaq: 6th on the all time scoring list; 52nd on the all time missed shots list (impressive separation).

Dirk: 9th on the all time scoring list; 12th on the all time missed shots list.

Tim Duncan: 19th on the all time scoring list; 27th on the all time missed shots list.

John Havlicek: 13th on the all time scoring list; 2nd on the all time missed shots list.

Kobe Bryant: 4th on the all time scoring list; 1st on the all time missed shots list.

I think this simple yet powerful formula really does illustrate which players really are the all time great scorers of the league, much more accurately than antiquated metrics like PPG.

Discuss.

We never gave 2 shits about the miss list till Kobe climbed over Hondo's white ass.

Ya cheap fucks.

AlexJones
12-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Actually the board was aware of it, just not the national media & that was because they used to protect Kobe.

Thread
12-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Actually the board was aware of it, just not the national media & that was because they used to protect Kobe.

Please. They didn't give a shit about it because a white man held it for 40 years. One from the Celtics no less. They weren't gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole. But, you fucks don't have an excuse. You never uttered a peep till Kobe rode up on it.

Ya fucks.

AlexJones
12-02-2014, 12:39 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202047&highlight=kobe+all-time+missed

elmanutres
12-02-2014, 01:32 AM
^ he got you good thread

Koolaid_Man
12-02-2014, 05:53 AM
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/calvincool414555.html?src=t_failure)

Calvin Coolidge

Koolaid_Man
12-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Quote by Albert Einstein: “Failure is success in progress” (http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/424937-failure-is-success-in-progress)

unleashbaynes
12-02-2014, 06:19 AM
We never gave 2 shits about the miss list till Kobe climbed over Hondo's white ass.

Ya cheap fucks.

just like you never gave a shit about stats until Duncan tied the count.

Thread
12-02-2014, 08:47 AM
just like you never gave a shit about stats until Duncan tied the count.

Still don't.

Thread
12-02-2014, 08:47 AM
^ he got you good thread

The fuck he did.

unleashbaynes
12-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Still don't.

All you've done is qualify, meanwhile we just quantify.

Thread
12-02-2014, 10:43 AM
All you've done is qualify, meanwhile we just quantify.

No way.

Franklin
12-02-2014, 08:16 PM
I think it's an unfair judgement to begin with, and I'm not the biggest fan of him in the world as you all know. Bigs normally have better FG% because they attack closer to the basket, and two of the three guys ahead of him are either C or PF, the other being the basketball GOAT of all time. So, outside of MJ, there's no other guard or SF with more points than him at this point of time imho. When you take FG% as a parameter in the estimation of a player's scoring ability I think it's better to differentiate their positions, tbh.