PDA

View Full Version : Today's Trade Beno Thread

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't think we should trade him. I see him as a solid regular season backup point guard.
If we scrutinize his game for one more season, I believe we will finally be able to decide if he is too slow to be a PG in the NBA or not.

Theres no doubt he blew it against Detroits press. But IMO theres alot of point guards out there that would have done the same, some even with starting roles.

Beno is one of the better jump shooters on the team, IMO.

Do you think the NVE acquisition threatens Beno's status on the team?
I don't. I'd be stoked to be able to learn from one of the most cold blooded PG's of this era, not worried about PT.

Spurminator
08-29-2005, 08:19 PM
I don't think we should rule it out either.

Kori Ellis
08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
To repeat myself from another thread ...

I don't know if they'll end up trading Beno, since NVE is only one year. I wouldn't trade him unless I could package him. But I know that they've been trying. They tried to trade him for Jarrett Jack on draft night and have tried to include him in some other trade packages this summer.

timvp
08-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Honestly, I think he's gone. But then again, I thought he was gone before the Spurs signed Nick Van Exel.

From what I gather, the Spurs have been shopping him HEAVILY since the end of the season. They didn't want to go into next season with Beno as the backup point guard.

Now that NVE has been signed for the minimum, I could actually see the Spurs keeping Beno as the third PG if they don't find a suitable trade. However, I think he'll generate enough buzz for the Spurs to get a pretty good deal for him.

Sense
08-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't think we should rule it out either.

I agree..

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Honestly, I think he's gone. But then again, I thought he was gone before the Spurs signed Nick Van Exel.

From what I gather, the Spurs have been shopping him HEAVILY since the end of the season. They didn't want to go into next season with Beno as the backup point guard.

Now that NVE has been signed for the minimum, I could actually see the Spurs keeping Beno as the third PG if they don't find a suitable trade. However, I think he'll generate enough buzz for the Spurs to get a pretty good deal for him.

(kori i know what you said was in another thread but there seemed to be beno talk in the nve thread so i wanted to talk about beno in a beno thread)

don't you all think that it would be extremely risky to trade Beno this season? Like timvp said, i think this increases his chance of staying on the team. Because NVE has been very fragile these past few seasons hasn't he? If we trade him for a scrub, or a non-pg, and NVE has knee problems again....then we're looking at having a temporary backup point guard like Steve Kerr sans the jump shooting.

what player would get offered for beno? Who would the spurs see as acceptable?

Kori Ellis
08-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Like I said, I would only trade him in a package right now - in other words, if it helps get rid of Rasho (or maybe even Barry) and you get something good in return.

Sense
08-29-2005, 08:27 PM
(kori i know what you said was in another thread but there seemed to be beno talk in the nve thread so i wanted to talk about beno in a beno thread)

don't you all think that it would be extremely risky to trade Beno this season? Like timvp said, i think this increases his chance of staying on the team. Because NVE has been very fragile these past few seasons hasn't he? If we trade him for a scrub, or a non-pg, and NVE has knee problems again....then we're looking at having a temporary backup point guard like Steve Kerr sans the jump shooting.

what player would get offered for beno? Who would the spurs see as acceptable?

Omg if you jinx us....

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2005, 08:28 PM
LOL sense you get so worked up all the time

Sense
08-29-2005, 08:29 PM
LOL sense you get so worked up all the time

You're the only one that doesn't seem to like the idea of having NVE in the team... I really don't know what's on your mind, but you did think too much of our rookie last season as I can see.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2005, 08:32 PM
You're the only one that doesn't seem to like the idea of having NVE in the team... I really don't know what's on your mind, but you did think too much of our rookie last season as I can see.

What do you mean? I love the idea we have NVE...i was just saying earlier that today's average fan expects so much from the spurs these days that they're gonna get let down when he goes through the usual adjustment period.

Plus we don't have to play against him anymore, which kicks ass.

I never thought Beno was the shit. He had some good regular season games, some clutch 3's here and there. I still think he's one of the team's best jump shooters, and I still think if we ran more he'd produce more. The main reason I have against trading him would be if we don't get another PG in return and because ourbackup would be a fragile NVE.

Sense
08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
What do you mean? I love the idea we have NVE...i was just saying earlier that today's average fan expects so much from the spurs these days that they're gonna get let down when he goes through the usual adjustment period.

Plus we don't have to play against him anymore, which kicks ass.

I never thought Beno was the shit. He had some good regular season games, some clutch 3's here and there. I still think he's one of the team's best jump shooters, and I still think if we ran more he'd produce more. The main reason I have against trading him would be if we don't get another PG in return and because ourbackup would be a fragile NVE.

We'd have to.

SilverSpur
08-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I say keep him and let him learn from NVE. I wouldnt be surprised if Popovich asked him to mentor Beno. I agree that Beno is talented, He had a good regular season be honestly he did choke a little in the playoffs with turnovers and not being able to bring the ball up under pressure, but he is young and new to the NBA. So over all not bad for a young guy thats only going to get better behind NVE and Parker. Lets keep him and see if things get better.

Kori Ellis
08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Does anyone think that the Spurs might send Beno down to the NBDL? Or do you think that he would learn more as the 3rd PG?

Sense
08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Does anyone think that the Spurs might send Beno down to the NBDL? Or do you think that he would learn more as the 3rd PG?

I definately think he'd learn more as a 3rd PG... I wouldn't want to see Beno in the NBDL.

marcus
08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
lol, the NBDL, he is a great player already. I prefer to have him in the team.
Next season he will comeback to the rotation for sure after Van Exel finish his contract besides if either Parker or Van Exel get injured we will need him.

Kori Ellis
08-29-2005, 08:47 PM
lol, the NBDL, he is a great player already.

Well, if he's going to be on the "inactive list" then they could easily send him to the NBDL to get playing time. He wasn't in very good shape last season and playing time in games might help that.

He's not a "great" player already. He's got good potential but if Beno's considered "great" then so is every scrub in the league.

JMarkJohns
08-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Any interest in a Suns 1st-rounder and the rights to Milos Vujanic?

Neither would help the Spurs this year, but it's not like this is a move that puts the Suns any closer to topping ya this year anyway.

It would strengthen the Suns backcourt, but mostly down the road.

Milos is rehabbing from injury right now, but is finally out from under his contract and is free to sign with the Suns (or whichever team holds his rights).

He's claimed he doesn't want to play for the Sun because of Nash, but recently has softened that stance.

I think the Suns would be giving up too much talent, but they need a backup PG now. I love Barbosa's potential and have been a huge supporter, but he's looking more and more like a combo-guard and that's not what the Suns need.

Anyways, just throwing it out there.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2005, 08:49 PM
I say keep him and let him learn from NVE. I wouldnt be surprised if Popovich asked him to mentor Beno. I agree that Beno is talented, He had a good regular season be honestly he did choke a little in the playoffs with turnovers and not being able to bring the ball up under pressure, but he is young and new to the NBA. So over all not bad for a young guy thats only going to get better behind NVE and Parker. Lets keep him and see if things get better.

yeah as much as people say this, i think its totally true

it took manu a while to adjust...i remember his rookie year when he'd just dribble the ball into the middle of 4 people, jump up in the air, turn around and throw the ball to someone who had no idea what manu was trying to do.
It takes time to adjust, especially with rookie-bench minutes.

angel_luv
08-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Like I said, I would only trade him in a package right now - in other words, if it helps get rid of Rasho (or maybe even Barry) and you get something good in return.

Oh so many knives in my back and straight through my heart!

:cry :cry :pctoss :nope :nope :pctoss :cry :cry

Et Tu Kori?!?!?!! Skakespear never had it so bad! :depressed

Kori Ellis
08-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Angel, I don't want to get rid of Rasho (especially when Nazr hasn't signed an extension). I just know eventually they will (hell, they tried dealing him for Abdul-Wahid), so I'm just throwing out options.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2005, 08:52 PM
grrr dont get me started on nazr..

usckk
08-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Well, if he's going to be on the "inactive list" then they could easily send him to the NBDL to get playing time. He wasn't in very good shape last season and playing time in games might help that.

He's not a "great" player already. He's got good potential but if Beno's considered "great" then so is every scrub in the league.
Why would he be in the inactive list. There's only 11 players in our roster so far.

Kori Ellis
08-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Why would he be in the inactive list. There's only 11 players in our roster so far.

He's the 3rd point guard. Wilks spent a lot of last season on IR as the 3rd PG. I'd bet that the Spurs fill out their roster and Beno spends time there too.

angel_luv
08-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Angel, I don't want to get rid of Rasho (especially when Nazr hasn't signed an extension). I just know eventually they will (hell, they tried dealing him for Abdul-Wahid), so I'm just throwing out options.

Ahh! = ) I knew you were good people! = )

Public Service Announcemnent
If Rasho gets traded, watch out! I'll be throwing more than options! :pctoss

:lol

usckk
08-29-2005, 09:02 PM
He's the 3rd point guard. Wilks spent the majority of last season on IR as the 3rd PG. I'd bet that the Spurs fill out their roster and Beno spends time there too.

Ah I see.

spurschick
08-29-2005, 09:06 PM
I agree with those that think Beno should stay as the 3rd option. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen Tony as the mentor type, especially since he and Beno are the same age, and I think that Beno could've really used some mentoring from a veteran PG last year. I know he had some of the other guys encouraging him, but they're not PGs. If he gets traded, so be it, but I would like to see how he performs this season with a little more experience under his belt.

SequSpur
08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
I think Beno should be deported.

Spurminator
08-29-2005, 09:09 PM
If we get Finley I think Barry becomes the "3rd" option at PG, and Beno becomes expendible.

angel_luv
08-29-2005, 09:11 PM
I agree with those that think Beno should stay as the 3rd option. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never scene Tony as the mentor type, especially since he and Beno are the same age, and I think that Beno could've really used some mentoring from a veteran PG last year. I know he had some of the other guys encouraging him, but they're not PGs. If he gets traded, so be it, but I would like to see how he performs this season with a little more experience under his belt.

Sounds like a plan to me.

A "plan A" no less! :lol

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-29-2005, 09:14 PM
I think Beno should be deported.

No one cares what you think.

angel_luv
08-29-2005, 09:15 PM
No one cares what you think.

Hey! Don't be short with Sequ!
:lmao :lmao :lmao

thispego
08-29-2005, 09:20 PM
I agree with those that think Beno should stay as the 3rd option. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never scene Tony as the mentor type, especially since he and Beno are the same age, and I think that Beno could've really used some mentoring from a veteran PG last year. I know he had some of the other guys encouraging him, but they're not PGs. If he gets traded, so be it, but I would like to see how he performs this season with a little more experience under his belt.
hell, tony would be a perfect mentor for beno
"all you have to do to get a bitch like eva.... is play good basketbol."
Benos's game would improve thrice-fold

beirmeistr
08-29-2005, 09:22 PM
You bring up a great point, Spurschick. Hell, both Tony and Beno could use some mentoring from NVE.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2005, 09:26 PM
no doubt...he could teach them how to grow a sack under pressure and decrease the temperature within their veins by 20-30 degrees Centigrade

5ToolMan
08-29-2005, 09:29 PM

The Spurs simply used the amesty rule to upgrade for peanuts. No team would turn this down this opportunity. Especially when they also get to keep a developing solid point like Beno under a rookie contract.

The only way they would consider trading Beno now would be if his stock were high enough for a team badly in need of a PG to give up a tall defenisive 3 made to fit for the Spurs. Without this, the Spurs keep him and show just enough of his skills to develop him more, perhaps producing interest for a can't turn down deal later.

timvp
08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Once again, NVE wasn't an amnesty casualty.

ChumpDumper
08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Shut up! He's been around the NBA long enough to know that!

JUUOT
08-29-2005, 09:50 PM
i think NVE is in here for 3 different reason:
- mentor beno or other young possible 3thPG (jay williams - barett)
- bring his experience and explosiveness to the bench
- a parker insurance. parker will be in transition mode because working on his shot and tired after euro.

gameFACE
08-29-2005, 10:19 PM
It would be better to have Beno as a 3rd stringer. He could get a lot out of playing behind NVE. Tony will get a lot out of playing with NVE as some have mentioned. But NVE’s deal is only for one year. So Beno is insurance in case NVE doesn’t work out. I don’t see him as insurance for Tony. Put Beno on the inactive list or whatever it’s called now.

The Spurs not only have the pressure of getting to the top again but, really, the added pressure of repeating. If Beno is here long term it’s better that he stays with the team and be subjected to that pressure.

picnroll
08-29-2005, 11:14 PM
As I think bak about Beno last season he was effective the first half and one of the "strengths" that everybody raved about was how quickly he advanced the ball upcoourt by passing it up the wings to Manu, Devin, Barry, rarely dribbling it upcourt. Turns out that was Beno covering up his weakness of bringing the ball up against pressure. Once teams saw that Beno became increasingly ineffective as a PG. Maybe Pop and the Spurs don't see him ever being able to do what is the basic requirement of a PG, advance the ball up the court.

Mr. Body
08-29-2005, 11:17 PM

Given NVE's fragility and age, there's no reason to send Beno off the team. And they'd be absolutely wrong to trade him. Why trade a good second year point guard who showed real ability last year? That would be foolish. Van Exel will get his time but will be on the Robert Horry prescription of limited minutes during the regular season - except for games he goes insane and hits every three he takes.

The signing of NVE does not make Udrih expendable. Not at all; I feel it solidifies him even more.

TDMVPDPOY
08-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Spurs should keep him for one more season, hell look at parker he choked his first time in the playoffs, beno should have another chance.

Rick Von Braun
08-30-2005, 06:25 AM
I agree with those that think Beno should stay as the 3rd option. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen Tony as the mentor type, especially since he and Beno are the same age, and I think that Beno could've really used some mentoring from a veteran PG last year. I know he had some of the other guys encouraging him, but they're not PGs. If he gets traded, so be it, but I would like to see how he performs this season with a little more experience under his belt. :tu

Nice post spurschick.

Slo spurs fan
08-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Don´t trade Beno or pay consequences!
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/632/avjon548306ir.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

angel_luv
08-30-2005, 07:15 AM
And here I was always scared to mess with Texas! :lol

Just remember Angel = Slovenia's friend and ally. = )

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-30-2005, 09:40 AM
NVE is a little to fragile to want to deal away Beno just yet. His contract is too small to really be able to deal him away outright anyways. He's young, he'll be okay. I think that people have become a little spoiled by the Spurs ability to find great young talent. If a guy doesn't look like a superstar out of the gate clearly he's never going to amount to much in this league.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
It's great to see the Spurs looking for players who are big game performers and also to be a team those type of players want to join.

I'm glad Pop can look at the bench and throw in a NVE in the 4th quarter of a playoff game, instead of not even thinking about the bench because there is some rookie there who could be useful, someday.

This team is about winning and it's about winning now.

spurster
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't any reason to trade Beno now unless he is going to be too unhappy with his role. I think the minutes could be split up about 30-10-10 (on average) keeping all the PGs active.

nkdlunch
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Don´t trade Beno or pay consequences!
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/632/avjon548306ir.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:lol

You'd be better off threatening to send another Slovenian to the team :lol

ObiwanGinobili
08-30-2005, 10:19 AM
I definately think he'd learn more as a 3rd PG... I wouldn't want to see Beno in the NBDL.

i agree with Sense.. he seems to be quite a few steps above NBDL.. but not quite NBA yet. KWIM?
I think he's learn and develop alot better as 3rd PG.

but if he hasn't improved by the end of this season then boot him. :smokin

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 10:35 AM
I wonder what the Spurs believe is wrong with Udrih. The only thing that comes to mind are his struggles against pressure.

Maybe something physical/mental? Maybe they've decided they don't have time to wait on him to develop and that the 'golden time' for this team to win additional championships is over the next couple of seasons?

zeleni
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I think they want to make Slovenia, USA, Argentinian group as equal as possible to make them work hard against each other to make a team better. Rasho and Beno from the Euro-championship will be a great pair, Argentinians have chemistry, so USA players are here just to keep up chemistrywise (they already have more ability on their side with Duncan, Bowen, NVE, Horry, Nazr etc). Parker is favourite of everyone, even POP. So bringing NVE just means POP wants a more bloodthirsty a team.

Maybe I'm wrong... Any comments?

spurschick
08-30-2005, 12:33 PM
He's been in plenty of pressure situations in Europe and now has some NBA post-season experience. I really think he's going to make the right adjustments, both mentally and physically, and be stronger next season.

BENO UDRIH
Named Rookie of the Year of the Slovenian League in 2000
Won the Slovenian League with Olimpija Ljubljana in 2001 and 2002
Named MVP of the Slovenian League Finals in 2002
Won the Slovenian Cup with Olimpija Ljubljana in 2001
Won the Adriatic League with Olimpija Ljubljana in 2002
Won the Israeli League in Cup with Maccabi Tel Aviv in 2002-03

timvp
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Maybe the best thing about the Van Exel signing is it saves Beno. If the Spurs had to use part of the MLE to sign a backup PG, the team would had to trade Beno because you can't have two players with multi-year contracts backing up the same position.

Now with Van Exel on a low money, one-year contract, Beno can sit on the bench and learn for a couple years and then be ready to bust into the scene in two seasons.

Maybe the Spurs can work it like the Suns did when they had Kidd, KJ and Nash.

:smokin

Slo spurs fan
08-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Now this is better!

It seems my agressive act made some adjustments! :)

angel_luv
08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm glad someone can keep these guys in line. Lord knows I try! :lol

spurschick
08-30-2005, 06:52 PM
I just remember hearing Pop say a number of times how Beno exceeded their expectations. Granted, this was all before the post-season, but the Spurs clearly see the potential.