PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Grizzlies...contenders?

Old School 44
12-02-2014, 02:20 PM
The Grizzlies have been playing great. Marc Gasol has been a beast. Best record in the league. I actually like their team, but I just don't see them giving the Spurs any major problems if they meet in the playoffs. Ever since they beat the Spurs as an 8th seed in 2011, it seems the Spurs have had their number. When I read about contenders to the Spurs, OKC comes up, Dallas, even Houston and Golden State, why not Memphis?

Big game on Friday, not to jinx either team, but I hope they go into the game with their win streaks intact. The Spurs play Brooklyn and Memphis plays Houston on Wednesday, before they meet each other on Friday.

jag
12-02-2014, 02:23 PM
I think they relay too much on ZBo and he's not going to be consistent against the Spurs front court.

Mel_13
12-02-2014, 02:27 PM
The Grizzlies have been playing great. Marc Gasol has been a beast. Best record in the league. I actually like their team, but I just don't see them giving the Spurs any major problems if they meet in the playoffs. Ever since they beat the Spurs as an 8th seed in 2011, it seems the Spurs have had their number. When I read about contenders to the Spurs, OKC comes up, Dallas, even Houston and Golden State, why not Memphis?

Big game on Friday, not to jinx either team, but I hope they go into the game with their win streaks intact. The Spurs play Brooklyn and Memphis plays Houston on Wednesday, before they meet each other on Friday.

Separating contenders from pretenders is always a subjective judgement, but if Dallas, Houston, and GS are contenders, then so is Memphis.

hater
Steven Adams singlehandely beat them last year. sure they can beat anyone team this coming playoffs. But I doubt they can win 4 series in a row. no superduperstar or big 3 imo. (no conley, zbo and gasol are not a legit big 3)

Mugen
The Spurs match up very well with the Grizzlies tbh. I think they'd have a shot at the Finals if they avoided San Antonio but the Spurs would win in 5 should they meet.

Old School 44
12-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Ever since that 2011 playoff series, they seemed to have neutralized ZBo. Before that, he seemed to do anything he wanted.

Mel_13
12-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Ever since that 2011 playoff series, they seemed to have neutralized ZBo. Before that, he seemed to do anything he wanted.

Blair and Dice were replaced with Splitter and Diaw. Plus Tim went through a time machine.

hater
12-02-2014, 02:33 PM

playing Bonner 20mpg and Dick jefferson 30mpg will do that to you

Old School 44
12-02-2014, 02:33 PM
The Spurs match up very well with the Grizzlies tbh. I think they'd have a shot at the Finals if they avoided San Antonio but the Spurs would win in 5 should they meet.
It's funny how that works. The Grizzlies always seem to give OKC a tough time, and OKC always give the Spurs a battle, yet I'm confident the Spurs could take Memphis in 5 too.

Spurs 4 The Win
12-02-2014, 02:39 PM
If Splitter isnt healthy, we would see a 7 game series

12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
WCF potential. They might upset one Texas team but not two.

Mr. Body
12-02-2014, 02:49 PM
They're getting better with their perimeter threats and their defense is always terrific. But the Spurs have solved the post defense against them, plus the Grizz can't easily make adjustments on offense if things start breaking down.

timtonymanu
12-02-2014, 02:51 PM
They're contenders in the sense that they can make the WCF. Against the Spurs? No. They still lack perimeter threats and the Spurs frontcourt is the kryptonite to Gasol and Randolph.

SpurPadre
12-02-2014, 03:00 PM
They're contenders in the sense that they can make the WCF. Against the Spurs? No. They still lack perimeter threats and the Spurs frontcourt is the kryptonite to Gasol and Randolph.

Carter can still hit from downtown as we saw in Round 1 vs. the Mavs.

Old School 44
12-02-2014, 03:02 PM
They're contenders in the sense that they can make the WCF. Against the Spurs? No. They still lack perimeter threats and the Spurs frontcourt is the kryptonite to Gasol and Randolph. Yep...that's probably a huge part of of why the Spurs are successful against them. Also, without them having consistent perimeter threats, guys like Danny and Kawhi have the athleticism, size and quickness to cheat down and provide help defense on their bigs.

Mel_13
12-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Remains to be seen. He's been terrible so far this season and he turns 38 next month. He could be done.

hater
12-02-2014, 03:04 PM
sure but without Splitter we are reduced to a few choices: Play Duncan/Diaw 40 minutes(bad idea for the long run), go small (bad idea vs zbo/gasol) or play our scrubs bonner, aussie and errors(terrible idea :lol)

timtonymanu
12-02-2014, 03:06 PM

He's getting old though and had enough shooters around him in Dallas that required attention. Lee is the only other perimeter shooter on the Grizzlies that is their best hope but the Spurs can live with both of them being those guys.

If they still had Mike Miller, sadly he would still be their best shooter.

Mikeanaro
12-02-2014, 03:13 PM
They are good, too bad refs fucked them last season against OKC.

Fireball
12-02-2014, 03:19 PM
currently they make their threes which always was the weakness because the Spurs could just collapse in the paint ... it would be great to beat them on Friday on their home court where they have not lost in like forever, but without Tiago I do not see it happening.

SpursFan86
12-02-2014, 03:21 PM
They can beat any team in the league aside from us IMO. But the chances of them winning 4 straight series is pretty unlikely. Would be nice if they knocked out OKC for us though.

Same can be said for Golden State. I know a lot of people here scoff at them, but they're a much better team this year than they've been in the past. Kerr is leagues ahead of Mark Jackson already, and Curry/Thompson are both playing the best basketball of their lives. Draymond Green has turned into an excellent role player and Kerr realizes this...they play their best basketball with him at the 4. Although I guess we'll see what they do once Lee comes back. Iguodala is a fantastic role player as well. Like Memphis though, we match up well with them. Green typically does an excellent job at neutralizing Curry and Kawhi can check Klay. Still, I don't think they're as much of a pushover as some think. They're the 2nd most dangerous team besides a healthy OKC IMO.

I'm not very high on Houston. They rely so heavily on 3s and their bench is pretty mediocre.

Dallas's offense is amazing but their defense is just as bad as it was last year. Overall I don't see them being a threat.

Raven
12-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Nope.

Ocotillo
12-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Tough matchup without Splitter. Be a good test for Baynes though to see if can avoid fouling out.

Chomag
12-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't sleep on them but I think they are still lacking perimeter firepower to take the spurs in a full series.

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 03:54 PM
This year's West looks like 2013(Spurs only contender), 2010(Lakers only contender), 2009(Lakers only contender) and maybe 2008(Lakers only contender, you could make an argument for the Spurs, but the role players were horrible and Duncan was at the end of his 4-down prime), tbh..

Only one contender + a bunch of "very good" teams that will receive a ton of hype because fans/media always hype/cheer for the "new blood" teams..they're tired of the Spurs, just like they were tired of the Heat(which led to over-hyping teams like the Bulls and Pacers), and the Lakers, before them..

The only difference being if OKC makes the playoffs and they aren't worn out from the grind to make it to the playoffs, they're obviously the other legit contender in the West, just like last year..

The Grizzlies match up very well with the Warriors, Rockets, Blazers, Clippers..shit, virtually every team in the West minus the Spurs:lol..

Vince is one of my 3 favorite non-Spurs of all-time, but he looks absolutely finished, and he's their biggest threat from the perimeter against the Spurs(:lmao Courtney Lee and Tony Allen)..

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 03:57 PM
It's always cute how corny NBA fans and media hype pretenders every year, tbh:lol..the Pacers, Bulls, Warriors, Clippers, Grizzlies, etc..there's always so much blind hope that the "same old" teams will fall off..

Shit, I remember a bunch of people actually believing the Grizzlies would beat the Spurs in 2013, including that sensitive, :(it hurts:( crying timvp, tbh:lol..Spurs easily winning the series was one of the easiest predictions in franchise history..

Prose
12-02-2014, 04:58 PM
No they are not...not enough offense.

hater
12-02-2014, 05:04 PM
No they are not...not enough offense.

this is true. you need to put points up in order to advance in the playoffs. NBA needs its ratings. Spurs learned the hard way :lol

Beaverfuzz
12-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Frizz are for real, not saying that the Spurs can't wipe them off the court but the Grizz are for real.

housious
12-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Separating contenders from pretenders is always a subjective judgement, but if Dallas, Houston, and GS are contenders, then so is Memphis.

Golden State, Dallas, Houston, and Memphis are not contenders. It's SA and and OKC (if healthy).

RD2191
12-02-2014, 05:16 PM
If Splitter isn't healthy they can most def beat the Spurs.

SpursFan86
12-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Memphis has the 8th best offense in the league at this point. Obviously it's early and that can change, but as of now they certainly seem to have an improved offense compared to previous years.

in2deep
12-02-2014, 05:26 PM
If Splitter isn't healthy they can most def beat the Spurs.

If splitter is not healthy, the Blazers, Warriors and Rockets could all beat the spurs.

Spurs 4 The Win
12-02-2014, 05:28 PM
If splitter is not healthy, the Blazers, Warriors and Rockets could all beat the spurs.

:lmao We already beat the shit out of the warriors in their house when we were slumping (on a back2back no less) and demolished them by 20.

And Portland is trash per par. Maybe they could push us to 6 without Splitter. I think you are forgetting how lopsided that series was.

in2deep
12-02-2014, 05:29 PM
keyword is "could"

:tu

RD2191
12-02-2014, 05:30 PM
:lmao We already beat the shit out of the warriors in their house when we were slumping (on a back2back no less) and demolished them by 20.

And Portland is trash per par. Maybe they could push us to 6 without Splitter. I think you are forgetting how lopsided that series was.
I think you're greatly underestimating Splitters defense on big men. Dude did work on Dirk, Aldridge, and constantly owns Xbox on the defensive end.

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Any top team in the West can beat the Spurs without Splitter, tbh..the only matchup that Splitter doesn't affect is OKC, since he doesn't match up well with them, but he's useful against every other team..

Duncan was a huge liability against the Warriors in 2013, it probably wouldn't be any different this time around, Splitter is essential for that potential series..

in2deep
12-02-2014, 05:31 PM
yup

I don't understand why it's so farfetched to say a handful of the top teams could beat us without our starting Center

SpursFan86
12-02-2014, 05:33 PM
:lmaoWe already beat the shit out of the warriors in their house when we were slumping (on a back2back no less) and demolished them by 20.

OKC whooped our ass 4 times last year in the regular season and look what happened in the playoffs. What's your point? One regular season game doesn't mean anything.

I don't get why people laugh at the idea of Golden State being a contender. I'd certainly pick us to beat them, but they're a great team. I think people are underestimating how big of an upgrade Kerr is over Mark Jackson. Jackson was a god awful coach whose only good attribute was motivating players. Kerr actually seems to know what he's doing and he's implemented a system over there. I'm not saying we should be "scared"...as I mentioned earlier, we match up well with them. Just saying that the Warriors this year are noticeably better than they've been the past couple of years.

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Bogut is arguably the best Duncan-defender in the NBA, and defensively, Duncan was getting embarrassed by Curry all series..he just doesn't fit in that series, at all, tbh..

That's going to require a lot of Splitter-Diaw and Splitter-Leonard frontcourts for large stretches IMO..

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 05:36 PM
OKC whooped our ass 4 times last year in the regular season and look what happened in the playoffs. What's your point? One regular season game doesn't mean anything.

I don't get why people laugh at the idea of Golden State being a contender. I'd certainly pick us to beat them, but they're a great team. I think people are underestimating how big of an upgrade Kerr is over Mark Jackson. Jackson was a god awful coach whose only good attribute was motivating players. Kerr actually seems to know what he's doing and he's implemented a system over there. I'm not saying we should be "scared"...as I mentioned earlier, we match up well with them. Just saying that the Warriors this year are noticeably better than they've been the past couple of years.

Reasons for pessimism:

- Rookie coach + NBA teams rarely make the jump from 1st round/2nd round to Finals without a Lebron/Shaq-like off-season addition
- Best player is a PG(usually a death sentence in the playoffs when they are matched up with long defenders, as we have seen time and time again with Parker)
- Thompson has been absolutely useless in the playoffs in both his playoff appearances, his game has gotten exposed both years(obviously he's much improved, though)
- Bogut is virtually guaranteed to suffer a major injury at some point
- Everybody else on the roster is questionable in the playoffs IMO

SpursFan86
12-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Bogut is arguably the best Duncan-defender in the NBA, and defensively, Duncan was getting embarrassed by Curry all series..he just doesn't fit in that series, at all, tbh..

That's going to require a lot of Splitter-Diaw and Splitter-Leonard frontcourts for large stretches IMO..

I just wonder how we'd do against their best lineup of Curry/Thompson/Iguodala/Green/Bogut. Diaw and Splitter would be fine against Green and Bogut. Danny matches up well with Curry and Kawhi could check Klay, but what would we do with Iguodala? Parker would get abused in that matchup, and Iguodala is a good enough passer to exploit any double teams we'd likely be forced to throw at him.

in2deep
12-02-2014, 05:39 PM
playoff Igoudala has been the opponent most valuable sixth man.

unless Kerr can change that, as a spurs fan I love to see Igoudala in the court

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 05:40 PM
I just wonder how we'd do against their best lineup of Curry/Thompson/Iguodala/Green/Bogut. Diaw and Splitter would be fine against Green and Bogut. Danny matches up well with Curry and Kawhi could check Klay, but what would we do with Iguodala? Parker would get abused in that matchup, and Iguodala is a good enough passer to exploit any double teams we'd likely be forced to throw at him.

Same thing they did against Harrison Barnes, let him score all game and take all the shots he wants:lol..

Iguodala is one of the most passive players in NBA history, it frustrates every fanbase that has ever followed him..he'll expose a matchup a few times, but like Diaw for the Spurs, he won't do it consistently over large stretches, it just isn't in his DNA to shoot more than X amount of times in a game..he also can't shoot, so I'm sure the Spurs would give him the Prince/Allen vs. Memphis treatment from 2013:lol..

SpursFan86
12-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Reasons for pessimism:

- Rookie coach + NBA teams rarely make the jump from 1st round/2nd round to Finals without a Lebron/Shaq-like off-season addition
- Best player is a PG(usually a death sentence in the playoffs when they are matched up with long defenders, as we have seen time and time again with Parker)
- Thompson has been absolutely useless in the playoffs in both his playoff appearances, his game has gotten exposed both years(obviously he's much improved, though)
- Bogut is virtually guaranteed to suffer a major injury at some point
- Everybody else on the roster is questionable in the playoffs IMO

Yeah while Kerr has looked great so far, playoff basketball is a different animal. Kerr just seems to have his shit together. He played for both Phil Jackson and Popovich. He was always a smart player, and now it looks like it's translating into coaching as well. Even when he was commentating, he always seemed to be one of the smarter ones. While you have guys like Reggie Miller and Charles Barkley making asses of themselves, Kerr actually knew what he was talking about most of the time.

I think they have a pretty solid supporting cast outside of Curry/Thompson tbh. Bogut is a perfect big for them when healthy. Draymond Green has become one of the better role players in the league. He's elite defensively, has developed a reliable outside shot, and a surprisingly good passer. Iguodala is another great role player who is fantastic defensively. Livingston has looked bad this year, but I actually really liked him on the Nets last year. He's a solid backup PG IMO. David Lee is garbage if you're asking him to be a 2nd or 3rd option, but he has the potential to be a solid bench player if that's the route they choose to go. Barnes looked like a complete bust last year, but this year he's actually been good now that he's inserted back into the starting lineup. We'll have to see whether that continues or if he's just off to a fluke-ish start.

I completely agree that Bogut is a huge question mark. I would never bet on him staying healthy all year + playoffs. But if he is healthy, GS could be dangerous (again, we match up well with them, but against every other team GS has a decent shot IMO). It'd be great if they could knock out OKC for us.

Budkin
12-02-2014, 06:19 PM

This. Splitter was huge against them in our 2013 sweep.

KL2
12-02-2014, 07:27 PM
I think you're greatly underestimating Splitters defense on big men. Dude did work on Dirk, Aldridge, and constantly owns Xbox on the defensive end.

...who is xbox lol

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah while Kerr has looked great so far, playoff basketball is a different animal. Kerr just seems to have his shit together. He played for both Phil Jackson and Popovich. He was always a smart player, and now it looks like it's translating into coaching as well. Even when he was commentating, he always seemed to be one of the smarter ones. While you have guys like Reggie Miller and Charles Barkley making asses of themselves, Kerr actually knew what he was talking about most of the time.

I think they have a pretty solid supporting cast outside of Curry/Thompson tbh. Bogut is a perfect big for them when healthy. Draymond Green has become one of the better role players in the league. He's elite defensively, has developed a reliable outside shot, and a surprisingly good passer. Iguodala is another great role player who is fantastic defensively. Livingston has looked bad this year, but I actually really liked him on the Nets last year. He's a solid backup PG IMO. David Lee is garbage if you're asking him to be a 2nd or 3rd option, but he has the potential to be a solid bench player if that's the route they choose to go. Barnes looked like a complete bust last year, but this year he's actually been good now that he's inserted back into the starting lineup. We'll have to see whether that continues or if he's just off to a fluke-ish start.

I completely agree that Bogut is a huge question mark. I would never bet on him staying healthy all year + playoffs. But if he is healthy, GS could be dangerous (again, we match up well with them, but against every other team GS has a decent shot IMO). It'd be great if they could knock out OKC for us.

Agreed about Draymond, I forgot about him, he's definitely one of the 5 best role players in the NBA..

I don't know about the rest of their team, though, including Iguodala..they all have high ceilings as role players(Iggy, Speights, Barnes), but also could be useless in the playoffs, as well..we'll see..I'll be interested to see what happens with David Lee, big question mark..

100%duncan
12-02-2014, 09:55 PM
If they managed to avoid the Spurs, they'll win it all imho.

An inferior Spurs team swept almost the same line-up though they have a better Marc today. Spurs in 5 tbh.

Venti Quattro
12-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Grizzlies and Dubs in the WCF would be must-see TV

RD2191
12-02-2014, 10:42 PM
...who is xbox lol
Zbo. Fucking auto correct.

look_at_g_shred
12-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Zbo. Fucking auto correct.
lofl

look_at_g_shred
12-02-2014, 10:52 PM

Duncan isn't for this series.

BillMc
12-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Any top team in the West can beat the Spurs without Splitter, tbh..the only matchup that Splitter doesn't affect is OKC, since he doesn't match up well with them, but he's useful against every other team..

Duncan was a huge liability against the Warriors in 2013, it probably wouldn't be any different this time around, Splitter is essential for that potential series..

Agree 100%

mkurts
12-03-2014, 03:42 AM
Memphis ? No.

SanDiegoSpursFan
12-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Their new and improved bench is being led by Beno.

Mal
12-03-2014, 04:34 AM

Any series with Grizzlies are about 6months away from now, slow down with Splitter missing series in May.

wildchild
12-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm not worried about Warriors or Portland (even without Splitter)
The Spurs have planted doubts in their minds during regular season and playoffs, and there remain questions over their mental toughness to maintain the focus all series against us.

But Memphis without Tiago...that's another story, a scary story.

Brazil
12-03-2014, 09:43 AM
They lack shooting from the perimeter tbh... not gonna fly in the post season but they still have time to make some moves and improve there.

Zbo is back to good form, Gasol is having a great and consistent season... as said by many already, Split is fundamental against them but even without him Spurs have solid chances Kawhi / Green are gonna fest on the defensive end with not much effort and even if they have good defenders, don't see any of them capable to take Manu / Kawhi out of the game... they will bother Parker with lenght but Spurs know how to exploit that

100%duncan
12-03-2014, 10:00 AM
They lack shooting from the perimeter tbh... not gonna fly in the post season but they still have time to make some moves and improve there.

Zbo is back to good form, Gasol is having a great and consistent season... as said by many already, Split is fundamental against them but even without him Spurs have solid chances Kawhi / Green are gonna fest on the defensive end with not much effort and even if they have good defenders, don't see any of them capable to take Manu / Kawhi out of the game... they will bother Parker with lenght but Spurs know how to exploit that

Without Splits we lose to them in 7 imho. Heck say goodbye to the repeat if Splitter isn't healthy come playoff time.

Brazil
12-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Without Splits we lose to them in 7 imho. Heck say goodbye to the repeat if Splitter isn't healthy come playoff time.

I think we still win in 6... but with no hca I would not like to play a game 7 there tbh

ElNono
12-05-2014, 10:49 PM
crofl dem bears