PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Would Kirby have won in a small market?

FkLA
12-02-2014, 05:35 PM
I think of Duncan and it's obvious that given enough time he would've led any franchise to great heights. Same with Shaq. LeBron. Unibrow is on his way. I'd imagine Bird, Magic, MJ, etc were similar although I didn't really see enough of them to comment.

What about that Kirby guy many considered the player of the decade though? What would he have led a small market Charlotte team to? What if you stick him on VC's Raptors, AI's 6ers or Tmac's Magic...does he lead them to glory eventually? I just can't see him winning without the comforts and advantages LA provides, which is strange since he's supposed to be a legendary player. Someone help me out here.

Spur-Addict
12-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Maybe once. Likely not given his deficiencies and inefficiency.

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 05:43 PM
One of Kobe's best traits is his ability to manipulate fans/media, it's a common trait among sociopaths, tbh..

He would have never agreed to join a small market team, his entire career has been based on following Dad Killer's footsteps and attempting to surpass him..joining a historic franchise like the Lakers(which essentially guaranteed you at least a few titles in the old NBA system) was a genius move, on his part..

Medvedenko
12-02-2014, 05:44 PM
It all depends on coaching, system and players around him. That's how winning gets done, regardless of market. Spurs and Lakers proved this 5 times each. Oh, and dumb thread.

in2deep
12-02-2014, 05:45 PM
if you take Spurs out of the equation, which you should, because Spurs are a unique small market org in history, you end up with small market only winning 5 times in the last 30 years. (hou, det)

Lebron still can't do it. so I'm not sure saying that about Kobe really makes him any less of a player.

Raven
12-02-2014, 05:48 PM
lol, no way.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Maybe once.Likely not given his deficiencies and inefficiency.

Why do you think this? I'm not arguing, just trying to understand others point of view. A small market probably means they wouldn't be able to attract or afford a guy like Shaq. Maybe a guy like MVPau but those two salaries would take up a large chunk of a small markets teams cap space...so lower quality role players. But it's been proven that Kobe needs a dominant big man by his side so it's a tough decision to make.

I just don't see it. But maybe I am just being a hater.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 06:00 PM
It all depends on coaching, system and players around him. That's how winning gets done, regardless of market. Spurs and Lakers proved this 5 times each. Oh, and dumb thread.

5 rings in LA is equivalent to 5 rings in SA numerically and that's where it ends. The circumstances surrounding each city/franchise couldn't be any more different. You don't think market has anything to do with your Lakers having 16 titles? How about the Yankees? Real Madrid?

if you take Spurs out of the equation, which you should, because Spurs are a unique small market org in history, you end up with small market only winning 5 times in the last 30 years. (hou, det)

Lebron still can't do it. so I'm not sure saying that about Kobe really makes him any less of a player.

There was a really bad stench in Cleveland when Bron arrived. I think what he did in his first stint was admirable. Do you think Kobe leads that kind of in the gutter, small market franchise to a Finals within 5 years?

Obviously this second stint he has to deliver a championship. I think he will eventually but we'll see.

Medvedenko
12-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Why do you think this? I'm not arguing, just trying to understand others point of view. A small market probably means they wouldn't be able to attract or afford a guy like Shaq. Maybe a guy like MVPau but those two salaries would take up a large chunk of a small markets teams cap space...so lower quality role players. But it's been proven that Kobe needs a dominant big man by his side so it's a tough decision to make.

You are being a hater....plus who's to say that the small market team had shitty scouting and short shortsightedness in relation to Europe or South America and didn't get Manu or Parker. You put Duncan in any of your scenario's other than the Spurs he'd win maybe 1 and that's only if he got traded to a big market and played with other stars. That's how it works bro.

Medvedenko
12-02-2014, 06:03 PM
5 rings in LA is equivalent to 5 rings in SA numerically and that's where it ends. The circumstances surrounding each city/franchise couldn't be any more different. You don't think market has anything to do with your Lakers having 16 titles? How about the Yankees? Real Madrid?

There was a really bad stench in Cleveland when Bron arrived. I think what he did in his first stint was admirable. Do you think Kobe leads that kind of in the gutter, small market franchise to a Finals within 5 years?

Obviously this second stint he has to deliver a championship. I think he will eventually but we'll see.

You can't compare Market to said player and saying it's the same thing. What if the Spurs drafted Kobe with Pop and management team in place....you don't think they'd win a few titles? The spurs are unique. The Majority of the champions were in a big market.

Spur-Addict
12-02-2014, 06:04 PM

That "Maybe", is an opening for "A chance in hell". A snowballs chance if you will.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
You are being a hater....plus who's to say that the small market team had shitty scouting and short shortsightedness in relation to Europe or South America and didn't get Manu or Parker. You put Duncan in any of your scenario's other than the Spurs he'd win maybe 1 and that's only if he got traded to a big market and played with other stars. That's how it works bro.

I never said he would emulate the success he had on the Spurs, I mean yeah that's pretty rare. But I do think he would help create a strong contender with a ring or two in the mix. I don't see that with Kobe. I mean what has he shown to suggest that? He's an all-time individual talent but he's not particularly great making role players better. If anything he uses their limitations as a reason to try to do more on his own. That ain't winning basketball.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 06:11 PM
You can't compare Market to said player and saying it's the same thing. What if the Spurs drafted Kobe with Pop and management team in place....you don't think they'd win a few titles? The spurs are unique. The Majority of the champions were in a big market.

With the style of game Kobe's played his entire career? Fuck no I don't think the Spurs win anything with him as our franchise player even with Pop.

Pop's 'management' wasn't going to lure guys like Shaq or make Holt pay the luxury tax.

Medvedenko
12-02-2014, 06:20 PM
With the style of game Kobe's played his entire career? Fuck no I don't think the Spurs win anything with him as our franchise player even with Pop.

Pop's 'management' wasn't going to lure guys like Shaq or make Holt pay the luxury tax.

You don't get it.

baseline bum
12-02-2014, 06:28 PM

Houston isn't a small market. :lol

And I can remember when Detroit wasn't a small market either when they were winning in the 80s.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 06:29 PM
You don't get it.

And you offer no argument to show that.

Sorry but Kobe+Pop=championship isn't very convincing.

RsxPiimp
12-02-2014, 06:38 PM
When will people get it. It's not the market, it's the management running each organization (See Boston, Knicks, Nets, Lakers under Jimmy)

ambchang
12-02-2014, 06:42 PM
It has nothing to do with market size but everything to do with having the best frontline in the league.

If Shaq or MVPau plays with Kobe in OkC or Milwaukee, coached by Jackson, thy would have won still.

12-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Doubtful but possible. I really don't think Kobe would have stayed in a small market. I don't think a big name coach like Jackson would have gone to a small market either. Without the allure and legacy of the Lakers, a small market wouldn't attract free agents either, especially with a serial chucker. If Kobe played in a small market Eastern team, it is possible Kobe could have chucked himself into the finals because he is a talented player like AI.

To win it all though, his only window would probably be in 2009 or 2010 when the entire league was still relatively weak and plagued with injuries. Would have seen some nice Lebron/Kobe playoff duels though.

in2deep
12-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Houston isn't a small market. :lol

And I can remember when Detroit wasn't a small market either when they were winning in the 80s.

I was being generous for the sake of argument.

if Hou and Det are not small market then there hasn't been a small market team win it all in 40+ years besides the Spurs.

Clipper Nation
12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Not a chance. He proved that when he pussied out of going to Charlotte on draft day. Also, his ego wouldn't be able to handle the lack of hype or attention in a small market compared to LA.

baseline bum
12-02-2014, 07:10 PM
I was being generous for the sake of argument.

if Hou and Det are not small market then there hasn't been a small market team win it all in 40+ years besides the Spurs.

Not true. Only 35 years. :lol

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/02/65/16/742282/3/628x471.jpg

And then one 37 years ago too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Bill_Walton_and_Jack_Ramsay.jpeg/300px-Bill_Walton_and_Jack_Ramsay.jpeg

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Spurs before Duncan: 0
Spurs after Duncan: 5

The man built a basketball empire in a city where the only attraction is a swamp, tbh..unreal..

DPG21920
12-02-2014, 07:47 PM
FkLA - glad to see you talking basketball hermano :tu

KL2
12-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Honestly, I can't think of a single player Kobe made better in his entire career. I can't see him winning jack shit with another franchise, too selfish, too much of a psycho, this guy has requested numerous trades throughout his career, he's not staying with a small market team lol. Who knows how long a team would deal with his BS, the only reason he got the "green light" in the 1st place because he won championships right away with Shaq, from that point on people overrated him and his franchise bowed down to him.

Guys like Duncan, you could put Massenberg, Oberto, Elson, Mohammad, Bonner, Rose, Thomas etc. next to him and he'd proceed to win championships aside them. He helped revive many careers as well, all those old ass shooters were wide open for a reason.

spurraider21
12-02-2014, 08:00 PM
what year would Kobe have won if he stuck with the Charlotte Hornets?

Franklin
12-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Even the best Kobe (the one who once dropped 81pts in a game) could only lead such a team to a first round knockout.

DMC
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
In his twilight years he could have TMac'ed his self (sic) onto a winning team like SA and rode pine except in 2nd nights of b2bs.

DMC
12-02-2014, 08:31 PM
When will people get it. It's not the market, it's the management running each organization (See Boston, Knicks, Nets, Lakers under Jimmy)

That wasn't the question. Shaq doesn't go to a small market team, nor does Pau or Howard. It doesn't matter who's running it, and that's the point of the OP.

DAF86
12-02-2014, 08:37 PM

lol At the thought of Kobe and Pop getting along. Do you imagine Kobe allowing Pop to put him on blast like he does with Duncan? :lol

Thread
12-02-2014, 08:39 PM
lol At the thought of Kobe and Pop getting along. Do you imagine Kobe allowing Pop to put him on blast like he does with Duncan? :lol

I can't imagine Duncan allowing Amy to make him eat do-do in the Summer of '13.

RsxPiimp
12-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Pop would definitely put Kobe in his place. problem with Kobe is he never had a real authoritative figure until Jackson came in, he was coached by a Beta male like Del Harris who practically didn't held Kobe accountable.

Pop is no chump. They could co-exist.

Thread
12-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Pop would definitely put Kobe in his place. problem with Kobe is he never had a real authoritative figure until Jackson came in, he was coached by a Beta male like Del Harris who practically didn't held Kobe accountable.

Pop is no chump. They could co-exist.

+ Pop is as dishonest as Kobe so you have that helpin'.

P.s., and Jackson is just damn fortunate that Kobe dragged that lard ass to it in '00 up North. Otherwise, well I don't even want to contemplate otherwise.

RsxPiimp
12-02-2014, 08:44 PM
That wasn't the question. Shaq doesn't go to a small market team, nor does Pau or Howard. It doesn't matter who's running it, and that's the point of the OP.

Shaq sure, Pau? He could. He came from Memphis afterall when the Grizzlies who were still widely viewed as a struggling expansion team in 2007.

And if we're going to use today's CBA rules now, then market size is pretty irrelevant.

RsxPiimp
12-02-2014, 08:46 PM
+ Pop is as dishonest as Kobe so you have that helpin'.

P.s., and Jackson is just damn fortunate that Kobe dragged that lard ass to it in '00 up North. Otherwise, well I don't even want to contemplate otherwise.

A lot of people overlooked that. Dr. Buss nor Jackson couldn't move the immovable object. :lol Kobe calling out Shaq lit a fire under his butt though...

DPG21920
12-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Shaq sure, Pau? He could. He came from Memphis afterall when the Grizzlies who were still widely viewed as a struggling expansion team in 2007.

And if we're going to use today's CBA rules now, then market size is pretty irrelevant.

Oh boy.

DMC
12-02-2014, 08:52 PM

So players who are free agents and can go where they want would just as likely choose a small market over a large one, despite the fact that the bulk of their income is from endorsements. Got it. Thanks for admitting that you're fully fucking retarded.

Venti Quattro
12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Hugely depends on the personnel he's surrounded with. Shit is shit whether you're in a huge market like LA or a small city. But if, for example, Milwaukee surrounded him with talent, then yeah he'll probably win one or two.

scanry
12-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Oh boy.

:lol

RsxPiimp
12-02-2014, 09:36 PM
So players who are free agents and can go where they want would just as likely choose a small market over a large one, despite the fact that the bulk of their income is from endorsements. Got it. Thanks for admitting that you're fully fucking retarded.

So now you moved to "All Players". We're talking about Gasol, keep up at least.. I think you really have difficulties with comprehension thats why no one wants to talk to you.

Gasol signed for less with Chicago.

100%duncan
12-02-2014, 09:46 PM
:lol Kobe + Pop = auto win :lol

TD made Pop just like how Shaq and MJ made Phil.

StrengthAndHonor
12-02-2014, 09:47 PM

This dude is always mad, need to relax tbh :lol

Thread
12-02-2014, 10:09 PM

Stamps

DMC
12-02-2014, 10:51 PM
I've always predicted your demise and been right er time.

DMC
12-02-2014, 10:52 PM
So now you moved to "All Players". We're talking about Gasol, keep up at least.. I think you really have difficulties with comprehension thats why no one wants to talk to you.

Gasol signed for less with Chicago.
"And if we're going to use today's CBA rules now, then market size is pretty irrelevant." -Your Stupid Ass

You faggots clam up because I expose your stupidity on the regular and you know your shitty 4chan memes don't move me.

Thread
12-02-2014, 10:53 PM
I've always predicted your demise and been right er time.

Stamps is correct, D, you're the site sorehead.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Hugely depends on the personnel he's surrounded with. Shit is shit whether you're in a huge market like LA or a small city. But if, for example, Milwaukee surrounded him with talent, then yeah he'll probably win one or two.

Laker fans make it sound so simple. Yeah, sure if you transfer teams similar to the teams he had in LA they'll win even in Milwaukee. Too bad Milwaukee can't afford to surround him with that kind of talent. He'd be lucky to get a fringe all star as his sidekick.

But if it's all about talent and surroundings, what makes him any different than Tmac or VC? Really similar production, Kirby was just in a much better situation. Funny how that works...when talking about his rings quality of teammates isn't really analyzed yet in a thread like this it's brought up every single time by Lakerfan.

DMC
12-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Stamps is correct, D, you're the site sorehead.

I have an idea, let's vote on who's the best poster, that way you get to have a shot at winning something this season.

Thread
12-02-2014, 11:03 PM
I have an idea, let's vote on who's the best poster, that way you get to have a shot at winning something this season.

If it'll lessen your crabbiness go on.

Venti Quattro
12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
But if it's all about talent and surroundings, what makes him any different than Tmac or VC?
:lol Are we really going to debate this again? He shows up when it matters

Venti Quattro
12-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Btw, this thread sounds like "Would Jim have won if Pop was not his coach".

Bynumite
12-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Btw, this thread sounds like "Would Jim have won if Pop was not his coach".

The anwser is no. Shit stained olympic bronze medal with stacked team and consequent exile from international basketball withstanding.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 11:15 PM
:lol Are we really going to debate this again? He shows up when it matters

Exhibit A of dismissing the quality of teammates when it is convenient. Right on cue.

Have you seen Tmacs playoff production? It's not that he didn't show up and Kobe did, it's that Kobe had Shaq and Tmac had who in Orlando? Yet from that point forward Kobe was known as a champion and Tmac a loser. As if they were in even remotely similar situations. :lol

Bynumite
12-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Jim without 4 hall of fame players and coach is ranked under Minnesota's Kevin Garnett.

FkLA
12-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Does Kobe 'show up when it counts' if he's thrown into that situation in Orlando? Or do we see something similar to the post-Shaq, pre-MVPau days? Hmmm.

Thread
12-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Does Kobe 'show up when it counts' if he's thrown into that situation in Orlando? Or do we see something similar to the post-Shaq, pre-MVPau days? Hmmm.

You got no room. Your Rodman quit square in the middle of the gd playoffs, had a fuckin' sit in because Robinson was trying to convert his black ass in the locker room.

Ya fuckin' nervy bastard, you.

StrengthAndHonor
12-02-2014, 11:32 PM
DMC is an old timer with shitty takes. Always has been. Why don't you bump your Stephen Curry thread, pat yourself in the back for being a stupid and useless faggot.

Thread
12-02-2014, 11:41 PM
DMC is an old timer with shitty takes. Always has been. Why don't you bump your Stephen Curry thread, pat yourself in the back for being a stupid and useless faggot.

Nothin' worse than a miserable old cocker.

RsxPiimp
12-03-2014, 12:13 AM
"And if we're going to use today's CBA rules now, then market size is pretty irrelevant." -Your Stupid Ass

You faggots clam up because I expose your stupidity on the regular and you know your shitty 4chan memes don't move me.

Let's see. First of all, You brought up a moronic scenario of Gasol going to a small market team when he was originally traded, not a matter of choice as you eloquently suggested. :lol

The small market-large market difference is irrelevant, the modifications are all there in front of you with higher luxury taxes, increased revenue sharing to name a few which made it difficult for wealthier teams to spend. OKC, San Antonio, Cleveland, Pacers, Memphis are all relatively small but are surpassing the bigger market.

It's no surprise the biggest names today also plays for smaller markets with a good amount of veteran players signing for less in these markets bypassing the old and antiquated notion of NBA "dominated by big stars in big markets." :lmao

The influence of bigger markets are shrinking. George is Indy, KD/westbrook in OKC, Lebron in Cleveland, Zach and Marc are still with Memphis :lol The traditional powerhouse teams are hurting and it's by design. They simply cannot outspend any other teams anymore clearly helping to create a better competitive balance across the league :lol

FkLA
12-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Let's see. First of all, You brought up a moronic scenario of Gasol going to a small market team when he was originally traded, not a matter of choice as you eloquently suggested. :lol

The small market-large market difference is irrelevant, the modifications are all there in front of you with higher luxury taxes, increased revenue sharing to name a few which made it difficult for wealthier teams to spend. OKC, San Antonio, Cleveland, Pacers, Memphis are all relatively small but are surpassing the bigger market.

It's no surprise the biggest names today also plays for smaller markets with a good amount of veteran players signing for less in these markets bypassing the old and antiquated notion of NBA "dominated by big stars in big markets." :lmao

The influence of bigger markets are shrinking. George is Indy, KD/westbrook in OKC, Lebron in Cleveland, Zach and Marc are still with Memphis :lol The traditional powerhouse teams are hurting and it's by design. They simply cannot outspend any other teams anymore clearly helping to create a better competitive balance across the league :lol

Jesus christ. Nobody is saying good players dont end up in small markets, obviously they do--mostly through the draft.

But all other things being equal (decent management, coaching, etc) surrounding those good players with the right talent in a small market is a lot tougher than a place like LA. If you can't see that you're a moron.

RsxPiimp
12-03-2014, 12:25 AM
surrounding those good players with the right talent in a small market is a lot tougher than a place like LA. If you can't see that you're a moron.

How stupid can you be? The smaller market teams today are doing exactly that. :lmao

FkLA
12-03-2014, 12:38 AM
How stupid can you be? The smaller market teams today are doing exactly that. :lmao

OKC was built through the draft. LeBron's greatness built Cleveland from the ground up, five years ago the most notable player lining up to play in Cleveland was Mo Williams. Before that noone wanted any part of that shithole. Duncan's greatness built San Antonio's reputation and even then they still struggles to attract non-international players. Memphis doesn't even have a true superstar, just a collection of good, gritty players that play the right way.

Those unique situations has nothing to do with Cleveland/San Antonio/OKC being on an even playing field with Los Angeles you moron.

RsxPiimp
12-03-2014, 12:39 AM
I refuse to talk basketball to someone who watches dirty she male movies in their spare time. NO offense.

FkLA
12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
I refuse to talk basketball to someone who watches dirty she male movies in their spare time. NO offense.

You picked a good time to eject, faggot. :tu

StrengthAndHonor
12-03-2014, 12:44 AM
OKC was built through the draft. LeBron's greatness built Cleveland from the ground up, five years ago the most notable player lining up to play in Cleveland was Mo Williams.
Lebron went back to Cleveland. Kevin Love was another notable player that lined up and asked for Cleveland fwiw.

RsxPiimp
12-03-2014, 12:55 AM
faggot. :tu

Coming from someone who enjoys the pleasure of chicks with dicks:lmao

FkLA
12-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Lebron went back to Cleveland. Kevin Love was another notable player that lined up and asked for Cleveland fwiw.

Because it's his hometown. And Love followed him bc LeBron is a once in a generation player.

Has nothing to do with Cleveland magically gaining the ability to attract players the way a place like LA can.

Coming from someone who enjoys the pleasure of chicks with dicks:lmao

Why try to talk bball if youre going to eject and turn to insults as soon as the going gets tough? Little punk ass nigga. :lol

100%duncan
12-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Good work tbh

spurraider21
12-03-2014, 01:37 AM
when was the last time a coveted free agent chose to go to Minnesota, Milwaukee, Toronto, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Indiana, Utah, Denver, San Antonio, Memphis...

DMC
12-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Small market teams don't get deals like that. Shaq came of his own free will as did Howard and Nash, Karl Malone and Gary Payton.
:lol You pretending the Lakers haven't had the lion's share of NBA talent over Kobe's career.
:lol Also pretending to not understand the difference between market size and player income level (not just NBA salary)
:lol Going full on retard to semen shield your broken hero.

This has absolutely nothing to do with market size.

Lebron won't get the media attention in Cleveland that he would have gotten in NY except for the fact that it was a homecoming theme. There's a reason KG and Ray Allen didn't team up in Minnesota, or why Lebron didn't decide to go to New Orleans and why it wasn't even on his radar. There's a reason why everyone looks at NY, Chicago, Boston and LA. Superstars don't go to small markets as free agents. Kobe knows this, knew this, which is why he refused to play in Charlotte. It's not about what the team can afford.

Yeah, Carmelo Anthony left a small market to get to NY. Lebron left Cleveland to get to Miami and only returned for a 2 year stint as a media whore gesture. KG and Ray Allen left their respective shitholes to play in Boston alongside Paul Pierce. Howard left Orlando to play in LA. Chris Paul left New Orleans to play in LA, would have gone to the Lakers had Stern not nixed the deal. James Harden left the Thunder to play in Houston. In fact, I'm trying to think of what biggest names are playing in small markets that weren't drafted there.

KD and RW were drafted by those teams. LOL Marc and Zach...

The traditional powerhouse teams...

NY has Melo, Amare, had Tyson Chandler and Jason Kidd. Yeah, shitty cast there. They suck because Kidd was done and TC was the only team player in the group.

LA had Kobe, Nash, Howard, Gasol and Artest just recently... another D league group. They sucked because Kobe is on the team.

After the big 3 split, Boston hasn't done much, not as popular a place as LA.

Bulls got Pau Gasol, D-Rose and Noah. They don't suck because they have a white coach and MVPau. Chicago hasn't been as popular a location but still in consideration over smaller markets not labeled as "birthplace" to the free agent.

What superstars are in small markets as a result of free agency choices?

DMC
12-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Do you think Kevin Love would go to Cleveland had Lebron stayed in LA? You have basically 3 superstars in Cleveland now, and it's because Lebron chose to be there because that's where he was BORN.