PDA

View Full Version : First time to San Antonio, what do I need to see?

Beaverfuzz
12-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Staying on the Riverwalk (Hotel Contessa) for the Laker game next Friday...what do I need to see? And where's the place to go before the game for food and beverages (speaking of that, what beer should I drink besides Shiner?)? And who's going to the game next Friday?

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

benstanfield
12-02-2014, 10:17 PM
https://www-weekaway-com.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/photo/image/265/m1.jpg

spurraider21
12-02-2014, 10:23 PM
from what i hear, whataburger :lol

baseline bum
12-02-2014, 10:25 PM
from what i hear, whataburger :lol

It is one of San Antonio's best sights, but you never offered the nigga a recommendation of where to eat tbh.

spurraider21
12-02-2014, 10:26 PM
i've never been to texas, so i can't really say

phxspurfan
12-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Shiner Octoberfest?

PÒÓCH
12-02-2014, 10:42 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Qpxb-rqYTAs/UBClSoapluI/AAAAAAAAAKE/TS0DNlAK_Uk/s1600/65387_113939561999577_4434342_n.jpg

Spur|n|Austin
12-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Big Red

TVI
12-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Big Red
Beat me to it...

Malik Hairston
12-02-2014, 11:18 PM
First time to San Antonio, I'd recommend seeing Austin instead, tbh:lol..

Mugen
12-02-2014, 11:27 PM
First time to San Antonio, what do I need to see?

The crippling effects of obesity tbh.

ElNono
12-02-2014, 11:32 PM

:lol

Floyd Pacquiao
12-02-2014, 11:33 PM
The beautiful scenery of the east side.

BatManu20
12-02-2014, 11:42 PM

SupremeGuy
12-02-2014, 11:43 PM
lol @ the responses in this thread

BatManu20
12-02-2014, 11:46 PM
If you go to the East Side and roll a barrel that says "free tacos" down the street, you can witness an actual human stampede, tbh.

Other than that, the Alamo and River Walk are pretty much it, tbh.

lefty
12-02-2014, 11:49 PM
There is that cool restaurant where people eat people

It's for San Antonio hipsters who avoid Whataburger

jeebus
12-02-2014, 11:55 PM
I'd check out the flights out of SA so I could leave as soon as possible.

DJR210
12-03-2014, 12:03 AM
It depends on what you're interested in, Beaverfuzz. San Antonio has its share of history..there's a few spots worth eating..we have good theme parks here but it's not the season of course..

Since you're on the Riverwalk, stop by Rita's on The Riverwalk and get a giant 32 oz margarita..(I recommend the "Dos'arita") One has me feeling right on an empty stomach tbh.

Shiner is a local staple, and while you're at it try and score yourself some LSD if you can (Lone Star draft). It's another Texas beer, they actually started brewing before Shiner in 1884.

DJR210
12-03-2014, 12:14 AM
If you go to the East Side and roll a barrel that says "free tacos" down the street, you can witness an actual human stampede, tbh.

Other than that, the Alamo and River Walk are pretty much it, tbh.

Fail. East side is all coons, it would need to say "Free Church's Chicken" for maximum amusement.

Beaverfuzz
12-03-2014, 12:20 AM
It depends on what you're interested in, Beaverfuzz. San Antonio has its share of history..there's a few spots worth eating..we have good theme parks here but it's not the season of course..

Since you're on the Riverwalk, stop by Rita's on The Riverwalk and get a giant 32 oz margarita..(I recommend the "Dos'arita") One has me feeling right on an empty stomach tbh.

Shiner is a local staple, and while you're at it try and score yourself some LSD if you can (Lone Star draft). It's another Texas beer, they actually started brewing before Shiner in 1884.

There we go, never got into Shiner when I had it at a Texas-style BBQ place in Palm Desert CA but it'll do.

Beaverfuzz
12-03-2014, 12:20 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Qpxb-rqYTAs/UBClSoapluI/AAAAAAAAAKE/TS0DNlAK_Uk/s1600/65387_113939561999577_4434342_n.jpg

I don't have to leave Oregon for that...most strip clubs per capita in the nation!

HI-FI
12-03-2014, 12:26 AM
I don't have to leave Oregon for that...most strip clubs per capita in the nation!
did not know that. cute hipster chicks with daddy issues? mainly Portland or all around?

tlongII
12-03-2014, 12:32 AM
River walk. Alamo. Various bars. That's all I did.

Emperor
12-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Lulu's Cafe just outside downtown on Main St. Order the Sherriff chicken fried steak and good luck!

2centsworth
12-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Downtown for sure. Eat at the Pearl. My recommendation would be NAO, but lots of good spots to eat at the Pearl. Catch a Spurs game if you can. Theme Parks, Golf and the Tobin Center are a few ideas for entertainment. If you don't mind traveling a little ways, Christmas in Fredericksburg is nice this time of year. If you want awesome nightlife, and then Austin is your best bet. For shopping La Cantera is cool, but so is Northstar and they have the Big Boots landmark. If you want to experience Friday Night Lights, then the Reagan vs Judson football game this Friday is a must. The Reagan QB is a future star. Same school Trevor Knight Oklahoma QB played. QB now is much better than Trevor and he's only a sophomore.

dabom
12-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Main street pizza bY san antonio college.
reetrr

dabom
12-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Chris madrids

dabom
12-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Bill miller breakfast with hotsauce

dabom
12-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Add a tea. Great te

The Whopper
12-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Taco Taco.

DJR210
12-03-2014, 01:50 AM
:lol @ recommending Bill Miller's Tea.. so overrated

Mugen
12-03-2014, 03:08 AM

Did you get a chance to see Game 1 or 2 of last season's WCSFs while you were there?

mystargtr34
12-03-2014, 03:18 AM

:rollin

Robz4000
12-03-2014, 03:20 AM

All you need to do is look at Avante to see that tbh.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-03-2014, 01:22 PM
https://www-weekaway-com.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/photo/image/265/m1.jpg

My aunt's uncle owns it. I have been to his place a few times and he always caters his own stuff at his parties. He gives me half off my ticket when I visit San Antonio. I make the difference more or less with the tip.

For the OP, just stay on the RiverWalk. They have the holiday lights up right now and it should be real beautiful. If you're a nature lover, go to Brackenridge park. They have an awesome Japanese garden. I always take my family there when i visit.

Beaverfuzz
12-03-2014, 01:28 PM
did not know that. cute hipster chicks with daddy issues? mainly Portland or all around?

All around, but mainly Portland metro area. Mostly get the California girls who want "greener" pastures.

Beaverfuzz
12-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Did you get a chance to see Game 1 or 2 of last season's WCSFs while you were there?

I believe long was there for the 2012 Alamo Bowl, glad I didn't end up going to that or I'd probably still be in a Mexican jail. :lol

Beaverfuzz
12-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Downtown for sure. Eat at the Pearl. My recommendation would be NAO, but lots of good spots to eat at the Pearl. Catch a Spurs game if you can. Theme Parks, Golf and the Tobin Center are a few ideas for entertainment. If you don't mind traveling a little ways, Christmas in Fredericksburg is nice this time of year. If you want awesome nightlife, and then Austin is your best bet. For shopping La Cantera is cool, but so is Northstar and they have the Big Boots landmark. If you want to experience Friday Night Lights, then the Reagan vs Judson football game this Friday is a must. The Reagan QB is a future star. Same school Trevor Knight Oklahoma QB played. QB now is much better than Trevor and he's only a sophomore.

Thanks for the update, definitely hitting the Laker/Spurs game on Friday, 6th row!

I. Hustle
12-03-2014, 01:48 PM
If it's beer you be drinkin', matey, there are plenty of "local" beers to try.

Freetail Brewing
BUSTED SANDAL (choutout)
Ranger Creek
The Granary (to get some bbq & beer)

Beaverfuzz
12-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Freetail Brewing
BUSTED SANDAL (choutout)
Ranger Creek

AYE CAPTAIN! Now that's more like it...

kskonn
12-03-2014, 04:24 PM

this is a pretty good list- like he said the Pearl is a really good spot, pick a direction and eat at whatever placed you run into. NAO is the restaurant attached with the Culinary Institute of America, ever changing menu etc...

Southtown also has a lot of good spots to eat. The Northside, mainly Stone Oak area is the best place for night life depending on what you are in too. If you like golf there are a ton of options. The holiday stuff at Seaworld and Fiesta Texas is pretty cool. Basically lots of good stuff to do depending on how long you are around. When my buddies come to town they always have a great time just hopping in and out of places all over the riverwalk. If you are into history do one of the boat tours.

kskonn
12-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Freetail Brewing
BUSTED SANDAL (choutout)
Ranger Creek
In addition to the above local Alcohol take the short drive out to Rebecca Creek Distillery for some whisky, if you have a car that is!

kskonn
12-03-2014, 04:30 PM

Freetail Brewing
BUSTED SANDAL (choutout)
Ranger Creek

Sorry for the double reply- just to help you out "The Granary" that I. Hustle is referencing is located at the Pearl.

dabom
12-03-2014, 04:49 PM
six flags?

dabom
12-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Some guy said brackenridge park. Good place to have a picnic or something.

dabom
12-03-2014, 04:52 PM
shops at la cantera is real nice and north star mall for some shopping.

I. Hustle
12-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Sorry for the double reply- just to help you out "The Granary" that I. Hustle is referencing is located at the Pearl.

Indeed it is. Indeed. It. Is.

The BLACK Pearl

I. Hustle
12-03-2014, 05:17 PM
shops at la cantera is real nice and north star mall for some shopping.

Oh my bad. I didn't know OP was a bitch. Oh he aint?! Then eff that shit.

TampaDude
12-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Ditto.

Did the mission trail, too...pretty cool.

TampaDude
12-03-2014, 05:54 PM

Titties and a $4 steak n tater? Nice. :hat

ohmwrecker
12-03-2014, 05:56 PM
How hideous are the women at a SA strip club?

barakz21
12-03-2014, 06:41 PM
I got a question related to the topic, and it's for those who are/were in the army, and specifically those who went to ait in fort Sam Houston. I'm gonna have my ait there starting July next year, is it possible for those doing ait to go out and watch spurs games??? And if not, any other spots we can go to where we won't get in trouble??? Thanks.

philldafunk
12-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Tower of the Americas and Chester's Hamburgers

dabom
12-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Oh my bad. I didn't know OP was a bitch. Oh he aint?! Then eff that shit.

But if he took a girl, girls love shopping.

HI-FI
12-03-2014, 08:26 PM
All around, but mainly Portland metro area. Mostly get the California girls who want "greener" pastures.
good to know, been meaning to check out Portland, now I have something to add to the itinerary. tired of the local ghetto strip clubs.

as for SA, it's not great but definitely not terrible. it has a unique history and vibe to it. Austin is more touristy friendly since it's more compressed and centralized, easier to walk around etc....Also prettier with Town Lake, Lake Travis, but both SA and Austin are part of the Hill Country. Austin is like the southwest version of Portland in terms of hipster try hards. In some ways I'd prefer to live in SA but Austin sticks out more.

Beaverfuzz
12-03-2014, 09:30 PM
good to know, been meaning to check out Portland, now I have something to add to the itinerary. tired of the local ghetto strip clubs.

as for SA, it's not great but definitely not terrible. it has a unique history and vibe to it. Austin is more touristy friendly since it's more compressed and centralized, easier to walk around etc....Also prettier with Town Lake, Lake Travis, but both SA and Austin are part of the Hill Country. Austin is like the southwest version of Portland in terms of hipster try hards. In some ways I'd prefer to live in SA but Austin sticks out more.

If you hit Portland, have a steak at the Acrop (Acropolis strip joint), one of the best steaks in town and it comes with a view! Thanks for the info, only around for 48 hours give or take so can only do so much!

wildbill2u
12-04-2014, 10:48 AM
The McNay Art Museum is great for culture buffs. Ms. McNay was a rich local who went to Paris on her Grand Tour as a young lass. She met an admired all the artists of that era and bought a good many. She donated her beautiful Spanish style home as a museum with a collection of Impressionist and Modern paintings that can rival most any art museum in the country.

It's really an almost hidden jewel in San Antonio as most residents have never been there.

If you golf, there are multiple PGA grade courses in the city and a couple of public courses that are pretty and fun for all levels of golfers.

You might like history. If so, after visiting the Alamo, check out the Mission Trail of all the still existing Spanish era missions. The best of them is San Jose. http://www.nps.gov/saan/index.htm

PÒÓCH
12-04-2014, 11:31 AM
http://www.weirdus.com/states/texas/road_less_traveled/children_of_the_tracks/index.php

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_78LGUjYYwCU/TLxN9wjfumI/AAAAAAAAAAM/weMJ27vfejA/s1600/2305jxg6psd.jpg

hyhy
12-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Went there for the last wcfs where we trashed okc for both home games. One of the best time of my life tbh.
Went riverwalk
Various outlet shops like academy to shop spurs merchandise
Went heb just to see the supermarket that spurs advertise for haha
Went to the waterpark! Really fun there, roller coasters were thrilling. And theres killer whales there.
But most of the time i just chilled in the hotel..

TampaDude
12-04-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.weirdus.com/states/texas/road_less_traveled/children_of_the_tracks/index.php

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_78LGUjYYwCU/TLxN9wjfumI/AAAAAAAAAAM/weMJ27vfejA/s1600/2305jxg6psd.jpg

aWl8eSGkAHs

UZER
12-04-2014, 01:55 PM
The basement of the Alamo

dabom
12-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Creepy place.

Beaverfuzz
12-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Is Pee Wee's bike still there?

hater
12-04-2014, 07:24 PM
The stars at night are big and bright...

Trill Clinton
12-04-2014, 07:28 PM
mi tierra is nasty as fucc. avoid that place.

Trill Clinton
12-04-2014, 07:29 PM
how old are you OP?

Ditty
12-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Living in San Antonio pretty much my whole life, there isn't a lot too see in downtown San Antonio besides the alamo and riverwalk. There's some nice bars, but food wise ehh it ain't that great on the riverwalk. Especially the mexican food is really overrated on the riverwalk, the best bet downtown or near it would be Mi Tierra, if you're not patient go to the place next to it La Margarita which people claim it's not as good, but are owned by the same owner and I couldn't taste the difference or go the piedras negras de noche. If you want some good mexican food I would recommend to go a little north of downtown to Blanco Cafe which have the best enchiladas, or panchitos which imo is the best mexican food in SA, even if the place went a little down recently from what I heard. Most of these places I mentioned are located in Market Square which is usually popping during the Fiesta time, and summer time but now it's winter there might not be much to do unless shop at some of the cool places there is in that area. If they have food booths up I would recommend to get some of the food there they got some badass gorditas, corn in a cup and aguas frescas just don't get the tripas unless you like eating burnt food, but some people love it :lol . If you're looking for a cool place to go to I would go to Dick's last resort, that place is great and entertaining, good place to drink just don't eat there I've got sick twice from there. Chris Madrid's, Big Lous pizza (Located in the ghetto, but you will be fine) and of course Whataburger and In N Out are a must. Someone mentioned Lulu's I think that place is nasty, but if you want a chicken fried steak with queso on it then go for it.

Nightlife isn't that great in downtown San Antonio, especially if you're trying to pick up some white girls. If so they are probably tourist also. Brooklynite, Howl at the moon, and Pat Obrien's I heard aren't bad but could get packed. I heard the Bonham can get popping with hot girls for a ghetto looking club, but I heard there is a lot of fags some of the nights. If you're looking for some nice clubs and bars with some hot ass white, and mexican girls I would recommend to hang out at Stone Oak I've heard. Austin is overrated imo unless you're a hippie, and also love live bands which I don't. Of course hot girls everywhere because UT isn't far from 6th street/downtown. Might not be worth the one hour drive without traffic (which is highly unlikely).

Six flags is awesome and is open this time of the year, and weather looks like it ain't going too get too cold anytime soon. I would check that out along with the shops at La Cantera, which is very nice also.

Have fun should definitely have enough to do for a weekend trip

dabom
12-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Living in San Antonio pretty much my whole life, there isn't a lot too see in downtown San Antonio besides the alamo and riverwalk. There's some nice bars, but food wise ehh it ain't that great on the riverwalk. Especially the mexican food is really overrated on the riverwalk, the best bet downtown or near it would be Mi Tierra, if you're not patient go to the place next to it La Margarita which people claim it's not as good, but are owned by the same owner and I couldn't taste the difference or go the piedras negras de noche. If you want some good mexican food I would recommend to go a little north of downtown to Blanco Cafe which have the best enchiladas, or panchitos which imo is the best mexican food in SA, even if the place went a little down recently from what I heard. Most of these places I mentioned are located in Market Square which is usually popping during the Fiesta time, and summer time but now it's winter there might not be much to do unless shop at some of the cool places there is in that area. If they have food booths up I would recommend to get some of the food there they got some badass gorditas, corn in a cup and aguas frescas just don't get the tripas unless you like eating burnt food, but some people love it :lol . If you're looking for a cool place to go to I would go to Dick's last resort, that place is great and entertaining, good place to drink just don't eat there I've got sick twice from there. Chris Madrid's, Big Lous pizza (Located in the ghetto, but you will be fine) and of course Whataburger and In N Out are a must. Someone mentioned Lulu's I think that place is nasty, but if you want a chicken fried steak with queso on it then go for it.

Nightlife isn't that great in downtown San Antonio, especially if you're trying to pick up some white girls. If so they are probably tourist also. Brooklynite, Howl at the moon, and Pat Obrien's I heard aren't bad but could get packed. I heard the Bonham can get popping with hot girls for a ghetto looking club, but I heard there is a lot of fags some of the nights. If you're looking for some nice clubs and bars with some hot ass white, and mexican girls I would recommend to hang out at Stone Oak I've heard. Austin is overrated imo unless you're a hippie, and also love live bands which I don't. Of course hot girls everywhere because UT isn't far from 6th street/downtown. Might not be worth the one hour drive without traffic (which is highly unlikely).

Six flags is awesome and is open this time of the year, and weather looks like it ain't going too get too cold anytime soon. I would check that out along with the shops at La Cantera, which is very nice also.

Have fun should definitely have enough to do for a weekend trip

Big lous sucks. Main street is 10 times better.

Beaverfuzz
12-04-2014, 09:53 PM
how old are you OP?

The big 40.

Beaverfuzz
12-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks all for the info, looking forward to the trip.

Anyone going to the Laker game?

Beaverfuzz
12-07-2014, 11:49 PM
None of you assclowns are going to the Lakers game?

DJR210
12-08-2014, 04:18 PM

:cry Nope, too scared of East Los Mexicans :cry

http://youtu.be/BK13r0Wyul4

pgardn
12-08-2014, 08:56 PM

The seating is not pleasant. No leg room.
I usually grease myself up with Vaseline to get in and out.
And I'm not fat. Wait till you sit next to a fat guy and offer him Vaseline while he sweats on you.

Beaverfuzz
12-08-2014, 10:02 PM
The seating is not pleasant. No leg room.
I usually grease myself up with Vaseline to get in and out.
And I'm not fat. Wait till you sit next to a fat guy and offer him Vaseline while he sweats on you.

Does that mean I can cook up my corndog under his armpit?

Beaverfuzz
12-08-2014, 10:03 PM
:cry Nope, too scared of East Los Mexicans :cry

http://youtu.be/BK13r0Wyul4

That was "awesome".

ThePop
12-09-2014, 02:12 AM
Should have planned your trip for Austin. You could have driven down for the game then back up to Austin where there's more to do, better food, prettier women, etc.

pgardn
12-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Does that mean I can cook up my corndog under his armpit?

No.

You will want to put a bay leaf with other soup seasonings and chicken parts in the pit area.
As the sweat drains off, strain the hot liquid as it exits the arm pit for a tasty chicken consume.

You were thinking food and that's good.

-yours
Julia Childs

FkLA
12-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Nightlife isn't that great in downtown San Antonio, especially if you're trying to pick up some white girls. If so they are probably tourist also. Brooklynite, Howl at the moon, and Pat Obrien's I heard aren't bad but could get packed. I heard the Bonham can get popping with hot girls for a ghetto looking club, but I heard there is a lot of fags some of the nights. If you're looking for some nice clubs and bars with some hot ass white, and mexican girls I would recommend to hang out at Stone Oak I've heard. Austin is overrated imo unless you're a hippie, and also love live bands which I don't. Of course hot girls everywhere because UT isn't far from 6th street/downtown. Might not be worth the one hour drive

The Bonham is the club right by Rivercenter, right? That's a fag bar bro thats why there's so many lol. I remember when I was younger me and a friend saw a big ass line outside so we decided to check it out...as soon as you walk in you see shirtless homos. The straight chicks do let their guard down there though.

Beaverfuzz
12-09-2014, 10:01 AM
No.

You will want to put a bay leaf with other soup seasonings and chicken parts in the pit area.
As the sweat drains off, strain the hot liquid as it exits the arm pit for a tasty chicken consume.

You were thinking food and that's good.

-yours
Julia Childs

Jerry: So he just gets soup. He wants to save the meal. So now I got to do it all over again.

Elaine: What kind of soup did he get?

Jerry: I don't know? Consomm or something.

Elaine: Consomm, hmm.

Jerry: What?

Elaine: Well, that's not really a meal Jerry. I mean if he had gotten Chicken Gumbo, or Matzah Ball, or Mushroom Barley. Then I would agree with you. Those are very hardy soups.

Beaverfuzz
12-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Should have planned your trip for Austin. You could have driven down for the game then back up to Austin where there's more to do, better food, prettier women, etc.

No thanks to Austin, I come from the city that Austin patterns itself after.

Keep Portland Weird.

pgardn
12-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Jerry: So he just gets soup. He wants to save the meal. So now I got to do it all over again.

Elaine: What kind of soup did he get?

Jerry: I don't know? Consomm or something.

Elaine: Consomm, hmm.

Jerry: What?

Elaine: Well, that's not really a meal Jerry. I mean if he had gotten Chicken Gumbo, or Matzah Ball, or Mushroom Barley. Then I would agree with you. Those are very hardy soups.

I was thinking you really don't want any extra mass from a hardy soup as sliding through lubed up fat people will become more difficult. So a delicate consume is called for in this formal setting. If you need any other practical advice I'm on alert. We want a safe, ordinary trip for all our guests.

TheWriter
12-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Too many fuckwads in this thread with shittier suggestions than a back alley doctor. Most of them aren't from San Antonio, never been to San Antonio or haven't been to San Antonio in five plus years.

Also, lmao at the attention seeking, insecure overrated college town residents telling OP to check their city out. The underlying desperation is cringey.

Beaver,

Check out Southtown, River North, Midtown, The Pearl, Museum Reach. Hello, if you can, check out Boerne or Fredericksburg.

For drinks, the Esquire in downtown, The Friendly Spot in Southtown, Freetail in Southtown, The Brooklynite in River North, Alamo Ice House in River North (owned by Robet Earl Keen and a couple of other Texas country musicians), Paramore in River North, Blue Box at the Pearl, Alamo Beer Brewery in the Dignowity Hill neighborhood on the near east side, Park Social in Olmos Park.

For eats, there's tons of places.

For a good hamburger, check out the Esquire, La Tuna in Southtown, Sam's Burger Joint in LoBro, Timbo's in LoBro, Mark's Outing on the near East Side, Lord's Kitchen on the east side.

For barbeque, within the central urban core, there's Augie's on Broadway in River North, Outlaw Bbq in Midtown, The Granary at the Pearl, B&D Ice House in Southtown.

For pizza, there's Stella in Southtown, Willy B's in downtown, SoBro Pizza in LoBro, Main Street Pizza in Midtown, Barbaro in the Monte Vista neighborhood of Midtown.

Texmex, well, the best stuff is found in hole in the wall places not off the river or in some tourist trap. Rosario's in Southtown, Tito's in Southtown, Party's on the Southeast side, El Milagrito in the Tobin Hills neighborhood of Midtown.

If you're looking for vegetarian or vegan options in the urban core include Senor Veggie in Southtown, Green in the Pearl, Sweet Yams on the east side, Vegeria in Uptown. Mama Tierra, a vegan food truck.

Other places I'd recommend I the Cookhouse in Midtown, the Station Cafe in Southtown, Jerry's Hot Dogs downtown, Kimura in Downtown, Hot Joy in Southtown, Cured in the Pearl and Niki's Tokyo Inn in Midtown.

TheWriter
12-09-2014, 05:11 PM
No thanks to Austin, I come from the city that Austin patterns itself after.

Keep Portland Weird.

Rekt.

That overrated college town would be nothing without its stealing other cities mottos/titles and its self generating PR machine.

The circle jerk they live in is comical.

SnakeBoy
12-09-2014, 05:52 PM
The Writer's advise is pretty good. You'll have no problem finding good food. For TexMex you'll probably like any of the places on/around downtown. Those of us that grew up here prefer the hole in the wall places with salsa that will make you sweat but chances are you will like the places that cater to the tourists palate.

I would disregard the advise of anyone telling you to go out of your way to eat at Whataburger. It's a fast food burger, nothing to get excited about.

dabom
12-09-2014, 05:55 PM
The Writer's advise is pretty good. You'll have no problem finding good food. For TexMex you'll probably like any of the places on/around downtown. Those of us that grew up here prefer the hole in the wall places with salsa that will make you sweat but chances are you will like the places that cater to the tourists palate.

I would disregard the advise of anyone telling you to go out of your way to eat at Whataburger. It's a fast food burger, nothing to get excited about.

No whataburger? wtf is wrong with you. i just ate some last night. Might as well buy some to see what all the jokes are about.

ThePop
12-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Rekt.

That overrated college town would be nothing without its stealing other cities mottos/titles and its self generating PR machine.

If you're implying Keep Austin Weird is copied from Portland or any other city, you would be wrong.

pgardn
12-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Too many fuckwads in this thread with shittier suggestions than a back alley doctor. Most of them aren't from San Antonio, never been to San Antonio or haven't been to San Antonio in five plus years.

Also, lmao at the attention seeking, insecure overrated college town residents telling OP to check their city out. The underlying desperation is cringey.

Beaver,

Check out Southtown, River North, Midtown, The Pearl, Museum Reach. Hello, if you can, check out Boerne or Fredericksburg.

For drinks, the Esquire in downtown, The Friendly Spot in Southtown, Freetail in Southtown, The Brooklynite in River North, Alamo Ice House in River North (owned by Robet Earl Keen and a couple of other Texas country musicians), Paramore in River North, Blue Box at the Pearl, Alamo Beer Brewery in the Dignowity Hill neighborhood on the near east side, Park Social in Olmos Park.

For a good hamburger, check out the Esquire, La Tuna in Southtown, Sam's Burger Joint in LoBro, Timbo's in LoBro, Mark's Outing on the near East Side, Lord's Kitchen on the east side.

For barbeque, within the central urban core, there's Augie's on Broadway in River North, Outlaw Bbq in Midtown, The Granary at the Pearl, B&D Ice House in Southtown.

For pizza, there's Stella in Southtown, Willy B's in downtown, SoBro Pizza in LoBro, Main Street Pizza in Midtown, Barbaro in the Monte Vista neighborhood of Midtown.

Texmex, well, the best stuff is found in hole in the wall places not off the river or in some tourist trap. Rosario's in Southtown, Tito's in Southtown, Party's on the Southeast side, El Milagrito in the Tobin Hills neighborhood of Midtown.

If you're looking for vegetarian or vegan options in the urban core include Senor Veggie in Southtown, Green in the Pearl, Sweet Yams on the east side, Vegeria in Uptown. Mama Tierra, a vegan food truck.

Other places I'd recommend I the Cookhouse in Midtown, the Station Cafe in Southtown, Jerry's Hot Dogs downtown, Kimura in Downtown, Hot Joy in Southtown, Cured in the Pearl and Niki's Tokyo Inn in Midtown.

I have been to about 1/3 of these places and agree.
You won't get as much great Tex Mex in Austin.
The hand made flour tortillas in the little west side places are awesome.

But the arm pit consume is still suggested.

pgardn
12-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Rekt.

The Music is awesome. You can't take that away.
And compared to Dallas and Houston... Austin and SA beat the hell out of those hell holes.

TheWriter
12-09-2014, 07:21 PM
If you're implying Keep Austin Weird is copied from Portland or any other city, you would be wrong.

It is. Portland had that saying long before.

Seriously, the bubble you people in overhypeland live in is pathetic.

Beaverfuzz
12-09-2014, 08:34 PM

Sorry, but Portland was weird long before the BCS came about in football. Hell that wikipedia is so far off for both keepXXXweird it's unfathomable. Austin was the first to commercially sell bumper stickers yes.

Beaverfuzz
12-09-2014, 08:34 PM

Beaver,

Thanks for the advice Writer!

Beaverfuzz
12-09-2014, 08:38 PM
I was thinking you really don't want any extra mass from a hardy soup as sliding through lubed up fat people will become more difficult. So a delicate consume is called for in this formal setting. If you need any other practical advice I'm on alert. We want a safe, ordinary trip for all our guests.

Got it, will update once I touch down on Thursday!

ThePop
12-10-2014, 02:25 AM
It is. Portland had that saying long before.

Seriously, the bubble you people in overhypeland live in is pathetic.

Okay.
http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-16538-dr_know_whence_the_weird.html

TheWriter
12-10-2014, 03:40 AM
Okay.

I have extended relatives in the PNW who were saying it in the late eighties. Seriously, just give it a rest.

jag
12-10-2014, 08:08 AM
First time to San Antonio, I'd recommend seeing Austin instead, tbh:lol..

:lol

These are some of my favorite ST threads. Cant believe I missed it last week.

TheWriter
12-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Too busy removing gerbils from your rectum last week?

jag
12-10-2014, 08:30 AM

I grew up in SA (Bulverde) (also lived in Austin for a while) and go to SA whenever the Spurs are in the Finals to catch a game or two.

Does that count?

The city is getting progressively worse so it's probably better(for you) if someone provides input based on their experiences from 5+ years ago.

tlongII
12-10-2014, 11:48 AM
I have extended relatives in the PNW who were saying it in the late eighties. Seriously, just give it a rest.

True, but the actual saying was copied from Austin.

ColinB
12-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Lol.

Beaverfuzz
12-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Okay.

And that proves my original post, Austin came up with the bumper stickers first. It's ok Austin, you're a nice quaint little town, congrats on the bumper sticker movement. KPW has been around since the late 70's.

Beaverfuzz
12-10-2014, 01:30 PM
True, but the actual saying was copied from Austin.

So you're not from around here tlong, just a transplant?

tlongII
12-10-2014, 01:44 PM
So you're not from around here tlong, just a transplant?

Been here since 68. I am talking about the adopted city slogan. Keep Austin Weird was coined as an official slogan prior to Keep Portland Weird. I realize Portland has actually been weird much longer, but that slogan originated in Austin.

TheWriter
12-10-2014, 02:54 PM
The city is getting progressively worse so it's probably better(for you) if someone provides input based on their experiences from 5+ years ago.

What a bunch of dumbfuck level bullshit.

I'd call it a hyperbolic statement but I get the feeling you're just too much of useless troll to care.

Progressively worse? In what way? Too many Asians? Not enough gerbils?

Beaverfuzz
12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Been here since 68. I am talking about the adopted city slogan. Keep Austin Weird was coined as an official slogan prior to Keep Portland Weird. I realize Portland has actually been weird much longer, but that slogan originated in Austin.

But there were t-shirts and other non-bumper stickers paraphernalia around in Portland back in the 80's. Portland has always been weird since I've been alive (74).

gameFACE
12-10-2014, 03:51 PM
I always recommend Acenar on the riverwalk. Same owner as Rosario's. You can get standard SA TexMex food as well as some better creative stuff. DO NOT by any means go to Blanco Cafe. That stuff is shit.

I am! But the one on 1/23/15. Have fun, bro.

baseline bum
12-10-2014, 04:21 PM
My favorite Mexican place downtown is Cascabel Mexican Patio. Much better than the overrated Rosario's across the street. Great interior Mexican food, but they close at 4PM. For Tex-Mex downtown La Margarita and Mi Tierra (same food, same menu, same owner) have awesome beef fajitas and I like the cabrito too, but for enchiladas they're pretty so-so; Blanco Cafe is definitely better there.

baseline bum
12-10-2014, 04:28 PM
I would disregard the advise of anyone telling you to go out of your way to eat at Whataburger. It's a shitty fast food burger, nothing to get excited about.

fify

Beaverfuzz
12-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Weather is great here, glad I didn't bring jeans! Getting pumped for the game tomorrow, totally forget how late games come on out here compared to the west. #GoSpursGo

SnakeBoy
12-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Have fun man! If you see any hot chicks take pics, it's like seeing a unicorn in SA.

DJR210
12-12-2014, 12:20 AM
There's plenty of beautiful women in SA..if you don't see them you aren't getting out much I assume

TheWriter
12-12-2014, 09:21 AM
There's plenty of beautiful women in SA..if you don't see them you aren't getting out much I assume

I doubt Sebastian, the neckbeard, has ever left his room let alone been to San Antonio.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/238/858/f26.jpg

Beaverfuzz
12-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Yep, they're all over.

TheWriter
12-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Yep, they're all over.

Check out southtown or The Pearl. Girls there are very PNWish. But not too hipsterish.

ajh18
12-12-2014, 06:15 PM
For TexMex, I have to give a shout-out to Lisa's Mexican Restaurant at 815 Bandera Road. Definitely not a... tourist-y... part of town, but never had anything but awesome food there. Up in the NE you'd pay ~$80/couple for the same quality of food you can get at Lisa's for $30.