PDA

View Full Version : Duncan v. Garnett -- the final curtain?

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2014, 05:05 PM
It wasn't too many years ago that the Duncan v. Garnett argument would periodically resurface around here and the SI piece about Duncan a few years ago made it pretty clear that there wasn't ever really any love lost between those guys. Remarkably, though, tonight -- if Garnett actually plays -- might be the last time they meet up:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/kevin-garnett-tim-duncan-renew-heated-rivalry-article-1.2031985

Duncan deserves the legacy as the better of the two players, a four-time champion and leader of the longest running dynasty in American pro sports. He also owns a 26-17 all-time regular-season record against Garnett, averaging 19.4 points and 12.1 rebounds in their head-to-head match ups.

Garnett’s numbers against Duncan aren’t too shabby, either: 19.9 points per game, 10.6 boards. And if they both call it a career after this season, they'll fittingly be enshrined in the Hall of Fame together.

“Obviously he has a bowl full of rings and a bowl full of experience,” Garnett said recently of his longtime nemesis. “Your hat has to go off to him. At this point, it’s all love.”

apalisoc_9
12-03-2014, 05:11 PM
it's funny how people talk about Malone and Barkely as the 2nd best PF's...KG and Dirk > Malone and Barkley

Plum Island
12-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Will never look at Garnett with anything but disgust.
F' him.

"At this point it's all love".
Of course it is, you pathetic cur!
You're too old now to scream about other people's dead mothers.

Especially when their career outshines yours like the Earth against the Sun.

rogues
12-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Will never look at Garnett with anything but disgust.
F' him.

"At this point it's all love".
Of course it is, you pathetic cur!
You're too old now to scream about other people's dead mothers.

Especially when their career outshines yours like the Earth against the Sun.
:lol Chill out kid..he's complimenting Duncan..

TampaDude
12-03-2014, 06:01 PM
FOUR-time champion??? LOL FAIL!!!

NASpurs
12-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Garnett has been ruled out for tonight. Second time this year he's been ruled out against the Spurs. Nigga be scurred.

Plum Island
12-03-2014, 06:07 PM

He can suck Tim off and sell it on Vivid Video and I'll maintain my stance.

How about I fuck your woman and say it's all love fifteen years later, kid?

emanueldavidginobili
12-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Everyone can hate on KG and yeah he is a piece of shit, but the man is one of the best basketball players to ever step on the court.

SpursFan86
12-03-2014, 06:33 PM
KG isn't playing tonight.

Snaq O'Meal
12-03-2014, 06:38 PM
To get to the heart of one of the few remaining classic rivalries in the NBA, you have to go all the way back to the end of the previous millennium and an unexpected altercation between David Robinson and Joe Smith.

It was during this little skirmish in the 1999 playoffs that Kevin Garnett walked behind Tim Duncan and hit him with a cheap shot - a violent shove to the back of the San Antonio forward's head.

I also remember DRob shoving KG away like a rag doll.

Budkin
12-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Garnett couldn't sniff Timmy's jock. To hell with him.

Plum Island
12-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Everyone can hate on KG and yeah he is a piece of shit, but the man is one of the best basketball players to ever step on the court.

No argument from me on that.
For sure.

BillMc
12-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Garnett's "How's your mother?" remark to Timmy was low. Even Gary Payton and Larry Bird, two of the worst trash talkers ever, wouldn't have said that.

mkurts
12-03-2014, 06:51 PM
KG is a good player, but behind that facade of intimidation lies the heart of a coward and choker who was nowhere near Duncan. Anthony Davis is already a better player than prime KG already

Uriel
12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
:lol at all the people displaying animosity toward Garnett. It wasn't too long ago when people here on SpursTalk were salivating at the prospect of bringing him to San Antonio.

Venti Quattro
12-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Duncan is a cuck but Kevin Garnett is a straight-up bitch and I can't stand him

hater
12-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Tony Delk proved for eternity that KG is a straight up bitch.

That being said. I always liked prime KGs game. For an instant he might have been as good as any PF. Duncan had better post moves, KG better outside game.

Of course TD left KG in the dustbin of history long ago

Arcadian
12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
As much as he is a faggy little bitch who could never get into Tim's head as hard as he tried (:lol faggot), I respect KG as a basketball player. His 2003-04 season was legendary. For that single season, he was arguably the best player on earth. He had many great regular-season battles with Tim, and their play styles were not as different as some people think. It was a great rivalry.

...and Tim won.

benstanfield
12-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Duncan carried a finals team Garnett didn'tPERIOD

exstatic
12-03-2014, 07:54 PM

Fuck Garnett. Don't care what he says at this point. Dead mother smack is never forgiven or forgotten.

exstatic
12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
:lol at all the people displaying animosity toward Garnett. It wasn't too long ago when people here on SpursTalk were salivating at the prospect of bringing him to San Antonio.

KG was the ONLY player I ever wanted LESS in San Antonio than Karl Malone. Fuck that bitch.

exstatic
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
KG is a good player, but behind that facade of intimidation lies the heart of a coward and choker who was nowhere near Duncan. Anthony Davis is already a better player than prime KG already

Never wanted the big shot. The very definition of a Fugazi.

Johnny RIngo
12-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Neither of them showed up tonight

Tuddy
12-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Couldn't ever get his team out of the first round

100%duncan
12-03-2014, 08:17 PM
:lol Garnett's gonna die of cancer tbh

Kool Bob Love
12-03-2014, 08:46 PM
I can believe this fuck boi KG didn't play tonight.

diego
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM
KG is an idiot person, but he was a great player. No contest better than irk as Ive argued countless times here (really not interested in rehashing it, either you value defense or you dont), and though shaq was more dominant KG was more skilled and played harder (see 04 WCF). For me he is second to duncan for this generation, despite his vastly overstated offensive deficiency and a lot of stupid childish things he said and did. I know its easy to say that KG should have gone to college and not signed that huge contract (which prompted the modern era max contract CBA), but I cant but help think that for a young kid going to a shitty franchise he did an amazing job, and was generally speaking a great pro- compare KG to other HS pros like bible kemp or even settled-out-of-court-for-rape,-throw-my-teammates-and-coaches-under-the-bus-kobe- KG's stupidity is on a decidedly lower scale. Its not easy living up to that hype and media scrutiny, and while KG didnt ace it he certainly didnt make a mess of it.

He's really fallen apart with age though, and prime to prime duncan was (and still is) better. I'm still pissed manu's injury prevented us from seeing a finals match between boston and san antonio in 08, it would have been epic.

exstatic
12-03-2014, 09:10 PM
KG is an idiot person, but he was a great player. No contest better than irk as Ive argued countless times here (really not interested in rehashing it, either you value defense or you dont), and though shaq was more dominant KG was more skilled and played harder (see 04 WCF). For me he is second to duncan for this generation, despite his vastly overstated offensive deficiency and a lot of stupid childish things he said and did. I know its easy to say that KG should have gone to college and not signed that huge contract (which prompted the modern era max contract CBA), but I cant but help think that for a young kid going to a shitty franchise he did an amazing job, and was generally speaking a great pro- compare KG to other HS pros like bible kemp or even settled-out-of-court-for-rape,-throw-my-teammates-and-coaches-under-the-bus-kobe- KG's stupidity is on a decidedly lower scale. Its not easy living up to that hype and media scrutiny, and while KG didnt ace it he certainly didnt make a mess of it.

He's really fallen apart with age though, and prime to prime duncan was (and still is) better. I'm still pissed manu's injury prevented us from seeing a finals match between boston and san antonio in 08, it would have been epic.

KG was a great player for about 45 minutes a game, and a scared bitch for the other 3 minutes. As for the way they've aged, KGs game was much more predicated on athleticism, and that doesn't last past your early to mid 30s. He had no post game to fall back on.