PDA

View Full Version : Finger: Quickly, Van Exel a Spur

timvp
08-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Quickly, Van Exel a Spur
Mike Finger
San Antonio Express-News

Nick Van Exel arrived in San Antonio on Monday expecting some spirited conversation, maybe a nice meal, and not much else.

The Spurs wound up offering him a bit more than that. And by nightfall, Van Exel was checking into a local hotel with a signed contract, a few thousand new fans and another chance to win his long-awaited first NBA championship.
Van Exel, a fiery 33-year-old guard long known as one of the league's most dangerous shooters, was so impressed by his meeting with a star-studded Spurs contingent that he wasted no time in signing a one-year deal with the team.

"He was just here to spend the day with them," said Tony Dutt, Van Exel's agent. "It just all kind of came to a head at once, and he's excited about it."

The Spurs, apparently, were just as enthusiastic. Not only did coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford meet with Van Exel on Monday, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen also joined the recruiting effort.

"We wanted him in our program," Buford said. "We think he'll be a great complement to the team we have."

Adding to the Spurs' excitement is that the deal allows them to keep pursuing free-agent swingman Michael Finley. The specific terms of Van Exel's contract weren't released, but sources said the Spurs didn't use the $2.5 million they had remaining from their midlevel salary-cap exception. Before Monday, they also had a $1.6-million exception available.

Finley, who is considering the Spurs, Heat, Suns and Timberwolves, is expected to make his decision today.

But even if Finley doesn't end up in San Antonio, the Spurs believe their backcourt already has undergone a significant improvement. Van Exel, who with 1,473 3-pointers ranks behind only Ray Allen among active NBA players, has shown he can help playoff-caliber teams even in crowded backcourts.

In the 2003 Western Conference finals, for example, his sparkling performances for the Dallas Mavericks gave the Spurs headaches before they eventually won the series in six games.

"He's always been a big-time performer," Buford said, "and we like to be in big games."

The 6-foot-1 Van Exel is coming off perhaps the worst season of his 12-year career, having averaged just 11.1 points and 4.3 assists in 53 games for Portland. For his career, he has averaged 15.1 points and 6.9 assists per game.

Van Exel missed 72 games combined during the past two seasons with the Warriors and Trail Blazers, mainly because of an arthritic left knee. In December, he was so frustrated by his banged-up body he announced he would retire at the end of the season.

But by the end of the season, Van Exel was confident his knee would allow him to keep playing. He became a free agent this summer when the Trail Blazers decided not to exercise the $12.7-million option on the final year of his contract, and he immediately began seeking teams he thought would contend for a title. Miami was his other main option.

Dutt said Van Exel, who will be formally introduced at a news conference this morning, didn't present the Spurs with any demands in terms of playing time or shots. With Tony Parker and Ginobili entrenched as starters, Van Exel isn't trying to stir the pot.

"I think he's comfortable with however Pop wants to play him," Dutt said. "There will be nights when he plays a lot, and some nights he won't play at all. He's fine with that."

Van Exel's signing gives the Spurs 11 players under contract for next season. They still would like to add another wing player, whether that turns out to be Finley or restricted free agent Devin Brown.

Meanwhile, Van Exel is hoping to ensure the Spurs will be pleased with their latest investment.

"Nick's always been the kind of guy who gets taken for granted," Dutt said. "He's given up more to win than most people know. In this case, he could have gotten a lot more money elsewhere, but he wants to win."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA083005.1D.vanexel.8d61f07.html

boutons
08-30-2005, 12:31 AM
wow, left $12.7M on the Blazer's table!!!

to take what? under $3M with the Spurs!

TexasAggie2005
08-30-2005, 12:34 AM
wow, left $12.7M on the Blazer's table!!!

to take what? under $3M with the Spurs!

The Blazers declined a team option, Van Exel didn't have a choice. And I'm assuming he took the LLE, so somewhere around $1.6, $1.7 which is significantly less than $3M.

xcoriate
08-30-2005, 12:34 AM
no

The blazers didnt excercise THEIR obtion on him, and he is taking a smaller deal with the Spurs than 3 mil somewhere between ~ 1.1 and 1.7 Mil for next year.

boutons
08-30-2005, 12:38 AM
ok, you can see why I don't do the virtual GM stuff/fantasy stuff! :)

TheTruth
08-30-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm sure Sequ will be happy to hear that Timmy helped in the recruiting efforts.

timvp
08-30-2005, 12:41 AM
The story I heard was that Cuban told the Nuggets that the only way they make the trade for NVE is if he makes the last year of his contract non-guaranteed. NVE agreed and basically gave up $13M to go to a contender.

When NVE got to Dallas, Cuban told him that he'd take care of him. A few years later, he's traded.

Classic Cuban ... but it also shows how important winning is to NVE. How many players in the league would give up a guaranteed $13M to go to a winner?

slayermin
08-30-2005, 01:47 AM
The story I heard was that Cuban told the Nuggets that the only way they make the trade for NVE is if he makes the last year of his contract non-guaranteed. NVE agreed and basically gave up $13M to go to a contender.

When NVE got to Dallas, Cuban told him that he'd take care of him. A few years later, he's traded.

Classic Cuban ... but it also shows how important winning is to NVE. How many players in the league would give up a guaranteed $13M to go to a winner?

Payback is a b!tch. I am assuming Nickie Van won't have any problems getting up for the Mavs.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-30-2005, 02:07 AM
NVE starts by the 10th game......goodbye TP.
Just say no to drugs buddy!

DesiSpur_21
08-30-2005, 02:08 AM

What are you smokin' ? Please explain.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-30-2005, 02:13 AM
What are you smokin' ? Please explain.
he can't possibly have an explanation, it just doesn't make sense.

gospursgojas
08-30-2005, 02:14 AM
"Nick's always been the kind of guy who gets taken for granted," Dutt said. "He's given up more to win than most people know. In this case, he could have gotten a lot more money elsewhere, but he wants to win."

If thats true then hes ok in my book :spin

8ballMonkey
08-30-2005, 02:21 AM
The only thing I hope doesnt happen is that NVE winds up like Anthony Carter did. How well are Nick's knees? But I am sure RC and Pop took that into consideration and will limit NVE's minutes. Oh wow my first post..hahah..well I usually just lurk around here but Ill try postin more often!

howbouthemspurs
08-30-2005, 02:24 AM
spurs just keep getting better and if they get finley then they will be unstoppable

gospursgojas
08-30-2005, 02:27 AM
spurs just keep getting better and if they get finley then they will be unstoppable

They defenatly got one of the best benches with Oberto and now NVE...

Tek_XX
08-30-2005, 03:01 AM
72 games missed?? Maybe this won't be such the great pick up that we thought. Let's hope the knees hold up.

exstatic
08-30-2005, 07:19 AM

If he were healthy enough, kneewise, to start somewhere, the Spurs never would have gotten him. He is strictly a backup at this point, dictated by bad knees.

coachtf
08-30-2005, 08:42 AM
NVE, Horry and Manu have balls in the clutch. Duncan will be able to go to work with these three on the court and in my opinion this helps Barry in a big way if they keep him? NVE is on of those rare small, scoring points that can create open looks not only for BIG'S but for guards as well. Teams are scared to death of him when he gets it going and the Spurs just got a HUGE weapon in this guy.

I would love Finley on this squad. As I have said in the past I think Finley is an underrated ball player. He can do alot of the little things that are taken for granted. This team is going to be hell to deal with and Finley could only make them better and even more exciting! :elephant

waly.mg
08-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Van Exel is a 79.6 Career FT%

That sounds really good for a team with a pooor FT%

Now, when the team played the Clutch in the last balls, SA can run Parker-Manu-Van Exel when the other team is coming for the fouls

nkdlunch
08-30-2005, 09:04 AM
good point waly. But Manu-VanExel-Manu would be better?

Jimcs50
08-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Looks like I was right afterall. I was just 2 yrs too early in my statement that SA signed NVE. I am blasted in here for it, but it looks like I was just seeing the future, not the present at that time.

:)

xcoriate
08-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Eh? that makes no sense, unless you are baiting the Argentinian into saying Manu > Parker?

xcoriate
08-30-2005, 09:11 AM
So Jim, when are those other predictions you made coming true :p

nkdlunch
08-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Eh? that makes no sense, unless you are baiting the Argentinian into saying Manu > Parker?

At free throws, especially w/game on the line? you damn right Manu/NVE>Parker!

xcoriate
08-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Manu-VanExel-Manu

Yeah, for sure they're better FT shooters, but unless cloning has come along faster than I expected it going to be a troublesome lineup to fulfill. Plus you'll have a lot of people whining about ethics. :lol

Spurminator
08-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I think he's talking about who the ball is passed between.

ShoogarBear
08-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Before every goes too far out into ecstacyland let me give you a couple of numbers:

That's NVE's lifetime shooting percentage.

That's his highest-ever season average (in his second year).

I think he's a good clutch shooter (though not as good as Horry and maybe not as good as Manu), and maybe having TD will help his percentages, but the fact remains that the only way you're going to get big numbers from Van Exel is if he shoots in volume.

Which I doubt is what Pop has in mind.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Before every goes too far out into ecstacyland let me give you a couple of numbers:

I think he's a good clutch shooter (though not as good as Horry and maybe not as good as Manu), and maybe having TD will help his percentages, but the fact remains that the only way you're going to get big numbers from Van Exel is if he shoots in volume.

I think his biggest asset is his scoring ability in crunch time, not so much his shooting ability by itself. Teams have to worry about him getting into the paint. That ability will only open up things for TD and the shooters. Think about it, the Spurs will have two crunch time creators in Manu and NVE.

ShoogarBear
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but will his crunch-time ability still be there when he isn't getting to warm up with 10-15 shots in the first three quarters?

With Horry, you knew he didn't need to see the ball until the 4th.

Just asking.

beirmeistr
08-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah, for sure they're better FT shooters, but unless cloning has come along faster than I expected it going to be a troublesome lineup to fulfill. Plus you'll have a lot of people whining about ethics. :lol
wonder if he meant Barry-Manu-Van Exel.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but will his crunch-time ability still be there when he isn't getting to warm up with 10-15 shots in the first three quarters?

Just asking.

Definitely a possibility. I think NVE is worth it first and foremost for his ability to create in pressure situations.

nkdlunch
08-30-2005, 03:12 PM
wonder if he meant Barry-Manu-Van Exel.

I think he's talking about who the ball is passed between.

:tu

Spurminator
08-30-2005, 03:14 PM
It's worth a shot, but I hope people aren't expecting him to be a magic remedy for every 2nd half scoring slump.

It's not so much his shooting ability that's valuable here, it's his willingness to shoot that will be valuable to this team. Sometimes he'll go 0-6 in the fourth, other times he'll go 5-6.

SenorSpur
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM

Just asking.

Envision this crunch-time lineup

Parker
Van Exel
Duncan
Horry
Ginobili

Can't wait to wipe the floor with some Mavs/Suns/Rockets/Fakers/Queens paper towels.

timvp
08-30-2005, 03:53 PM

Good points.

However, the amount of three-pointers he shoots often skews his percentage. For example, last year he shot only 38.1% from the field but if you factor in that about half of his shots are three-pointers, his adjusted fied goal percentage was 47.1%.

47.1% is also his adjust field goal percentage for his career. Of course, Van Exel will still have those 1-for-9 games and will probably lose one or two games during the season by taking bad shots, but I think he has a good chance of winning a playoff game and being a threat that other teams will no doubt respect.

Zan the Fan
08-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Parker
Van Exel
Duncan
Horry
Ginobili

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

Parker isn't clutch at all. Screw that guy in a big moment. Give me Bowen and some Freedom Fries while your at it. Let's not forget who drained the huge 3 on the wing on Timmy's kick-out late in game 7 and how bout the sick ass rejection on Billups. :smokin

:duck

marcus
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM

Parker
Van Exel
Duncan
Horry
Ginobili

Parker :lol , Barry should be there instead. He did gave some great minutes during the playoffs in the 4th quarter when he scored some consecutives 3-pointers.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Someone is forgetting Game 5 of the last NBA Finals.

marcus
08-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Someone is forgetting Game 5 of the last NBA Finals.

when all the spurs were made crap? :lol , no one can take any conclusion from that game and less for the spurs.

exstatic
08-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Looks like I was right afterall. I was just 2 yrs too early in my statement that SA signed NVE. I am blasted in here for it, but it looks like I was just seeing the future, not the present at that time.

:)
NVE hasn't been a FA in like six years. WTF are you talking about?