PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili / Roger Staubach Comparisons

tmtcsc
12-06-2014, 11:43 AM
The NFL Network showed its "A Football Life" feature on Roger Staubach this week and the comparisons to Manu Ginobili were pretty strong.

* Staubach's college coach at the Naval Academy said the best coaching he ever did with Roger was to let him do what he did and not try to change him.

* Coach Landry was referred to as an engineer who developed and ran a "system" that Roger often broke out of by scrambling. Charlie Waters said he used to hear Coach Landry scream "NO Roger NO!" when Staubach broke out of a play and started scrambling, but the yells would quickly change to "GO Roger GO!"

* Staubach's former teammates also talked up just how competitive and clutch he was when pressure was at his highest. He still talks about wanting to get the old team together to face the old Steelers in flag football. He lost to them twice and wants revenge. :lol

If you're a Cowboys fan or Staubach fan, its a great profile on him.

ElNono
12-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for sharing:tu

Skull-1
12-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Roger retired at the peak of his skills. Manu is nowhere near his best years....

tmtcsc
12-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Roger retired at the peak of his skills. Manu is nowhere near his best years....

:lol

Manutrix
12-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Troll-1 everywhere Manu is mentioned, as usual...

Skull-1
12-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Troll-1 everywhere Manu is mentioned, as usual...

Wah! Wah! Waaaaah! :lol

Skull-1
12-07-2014, 01:05 PM
The Cowboys did play the Steelers in flag football. It was a grudge match. Dallas won. I believe Frank Luksa did a column on it years ago.

superbigtime
12-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Pretty cool, I like the comparison. Love Roger but I don't know if he is as unique a competitor as Manu.

Skull-1
12-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Roger is a superior competitor compared to Manu. He didn't go braindead in crucial moments. Roger was the greatest player ever when he retired. And he competed against the starters always.....not the bench.

phxspurfan
12-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Lets hope Manu also invests in real estate and becomes a rich white man like Starbuck

testies
12-07-2014, 09:59 PM
This notion that Manu is crazy and erratic is so dumb, and it was created by Mr.Asshole Popovich, so he can bargain more media respect as being "the genius who transformed Manu into a great player'

Truth is, his Bologna team and Argentina NT who destroyed USA dream team twice were extremely disciplined teams, with loads of ball movement and ball care, and he was their leader.

Manu really is treated like shit in these Pop historical revisionism intreviews

Meanwhile, Duncan is Mr.Perfect who farts roses. But we all know Manu is as importan as Duncan historically, if not more

Skull-1
12-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Manu more important than Tim? :lol

testies
12-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Manu humiliated Duncan in 04 when they went against eachother

fact is, since 03, all Duncan does is put backs and easy layups created by manu offense

when anyone is guarding him he shoots like 20%

pgardn
12-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Roger is a superior competitor compared to Manu. He didn't go braindead in crucial moments. Roger was the greatest player ever when he retired. And he competed against the starters always.....not the bench.

Yes he did. He had a number of concussions.
Look at Rogers last playoff game. Actually his last game. He was awful against the LA Rams ( a lowly wildcard) .Rodgers last pass as a Cowboy was an interception in that loss, 14-12 in Dalllas.

I find the comparison interesting, thanks for the info.

Skull-1
12-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Yes he did. He had a number of concussions.Look at Rogers last playoff game. Actually his last game. He was awful against the LA Rams ( a lowly wildcard) .Rodgers last pass as a Cowboy was an interception in that loss, 14-12 in Dalllas.

I find the comparison interesting, thanks for the info.

The Rams went to the Super Bowl that year, moron. They took the lead with about two minutes to go. Roger's last "completed" pass was caught by a Dallas lineman, a penalty. He missed Pearson on fourth down. Rams won 21-19. Learn the facts before opening your cake hole.

tmtcsc
12-08-2014, 12:42 AM
The other thing to come out of the profile was that Roger Staubach and Tom Landry were not very close. When Staubach told the team of his plans to retire, many players didn't want to see him go but Landry didn't try to talk him out of it. According to # 12, Landry knew he had Danny White to rely on and didn't seem overly concerned about the consequences of his retirement.

The relationship he had with Landry was like a son who could never get his Dad's approval. Dad loved him but couldn't bring himself to ever say it. I know it sounds like some sort of issue for a psychiatrist to work out but if you watch the program you can see it in Staubach's eyes. He was a successful football player and an even more successful businessman who is now worth hundreds of millions from the sale of his real estate company but never getting that approval from Landry still bothers him. Man, I had no idea. I was 9 when Staubach retired and was devastated. He could do no wrong in my eyes.

With Roger on the team, Tom Landry coached in 5 Super Bowls. Without him, he never went to a Super Bowl again.

Pop may be a tough S.O.B but you can tell he genuinely cares about his players and they know how much he appreciates them.

Skull-1
12-08-2014, 01:33 AM
I loved Roger. When he retired I grew to love Danny, too. Dallas in those days was a force to be reckoned with...

pgardn
12-08-2014, 08:45 AM
The Rams went to the Super Bowl that year, moron. They took the lead with about two minutes to go. Roger's last "completed" pass was caught by a Dallas lineman, a penalty. He missed Pearson on fourth down. Rams won 21-19. Learn the facts before opening your cake hole.

You are correct. I was thinking about the 14-12 game playoff game, the Rams winning. I believe that was the Chuck Knox coached team.

In any case Staubach was horrible, and fuzzy headed. So we know he had his awful games just like Manu. Thanks for bringing up that additional game. Now go look up the other game. And realize Staubach was far from perfect as often portrayed by the old men longing for the old days and inventing their Heroes.

pgardn
12-08-2014, 08:49 AM
The other thing to come out of the profile was that Roger Staubach and Tom Landry were not very close. When Staubach told the team of his plans to retire, many players didn't want to see him go but Landry didn't try to talk him out of it. According to # 12, Landry knew he had Danny White to rely on and didn't seem overly concerned about the consequences of his retirement.

The relationship he had with Landry was like a son who could never get his Dad's approval. Dad loved him but couldn't bring himself to ever say it. I know it sounds like some sort of issue for a psychiatrist to work out but if you watch the program you can see it in Staubach's eyes. He was a successful football player and an even more successful businessman who is now worth hundreds of millions from the sale of his real estate company but never getting that approval from Landry still bothers him. Man, I had no idea. I was 9 when Staubach retired and was devastated. He could do no wrong in my eyes.

With Roger on the team, Tom Landry coached in 5 Super Bowls. Without him, he never went to a Super Bowl again.

Pop may be a tough S.O.B but you can tell he genuinely cares about his players and they know how much he appreciates them.

Very interesting.
Landry was a strange guy.

pgardn
12-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Manu humiliated Duncan in 04 when they went against eachother

fact is, since 03, all Duncan does is put backs and easy layups created by manu offense

when anyone is guarding him he shoots like 20%

I need an emoticon that shows a pile of steaming crap.

tmtcsc
12-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Before retiring, Staubach consulted a doctor (not a team doctor) and had some tests done on his brain. Although the tests came back clean, the doctor advised him to retire because he believed Roger had suffered too many concussions. I think Staubach said he had two in his last season. It was a pretty bold move to make because the long term effects of concussions weren't as well known back then. He wasn't suffering headaches, wasn't dealing with issues, he just took the "better safe than sorry" approach and had no regrets. 2 Super Bowl Rings and a hall of fame career were good enough for him.