PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Top 5 True Point Guards

Calispursfan11
12-06-2014, 01:55 PM
With the emergence of multi-threat shoot first point guards like TP, Steph Curry, Lowry and Westchuck what we used to think of as a "true point guard" is arguably becoming a thing of the past. Chris Paul might be the only really good although declining true point guard left. That said,who are your top 5 "true point guards" in the league as of today?

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 02:27 PM
i don't care if my players are "true" anything. i just want them to be good. is tim duncan a "true" power forward, or his he a PF/C?

RsxPiimp
12-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Everybody's game nowadays is some sort of hybrid nowadays. There really isn't a plethora of traditional or true PG's in the league, if you're looking for the John Stockton, Kidd, Isiah Thomas breeds.

Frazier, Magic, Penny weren't your true PG's but they all existed before. CP3 is the best obviously. I don't see anyone out there playing this role down to a T anymore. And the players who usually does aren't really that great (Conley, maybe Teague)

Franklin
12-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Vazquez, Calderon, Rondo?

HemisfairArena
12-06-2014, 07:45 PM
John Wall,,,,its amazing that everyone brings up Chris Paul but Wall is averaging the same amount of points/assists/rebounds but yet people overlook Wall all the time. The kid is the real deal and nowhere near his prime yet.

ambchang
12-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Everybody's game nowadays is some sort of hybrid nowadays. There really isn't a plethora of traditional or true PG's in the league, if you're looking for the John Stockton, Kidd, Isiah Thomas breeds.

Frazier, Magic, Penny weren't your true PG's but they all existed before. CP3 is the best obviously. I don't see anyone out there playing this role down to a T anymore. And the players who usually does aren't really that great (Conley, maybe Teague)

Thomas was never a true pg.

He was in the archibald iverson ilk.

m>s
12-07-2014, 02:29 PM
John Wall,,,,its amazing that everyone brings up Chris Paul but Wall is averaging the same amount of points/assists/rebounds but yet people overlook Wall all the time. The kid is the real deal and nowhere near his prime yet.
inefficient and overrated imho. his game is just too wild and based off monkeyball to ever win anything meaningful.

FkLA
12-07-2014, 02:42 PM
I like Conley. Id trade Enrique for him in a heartbeat tbh.

apalisoc_9
12-07-2014, 02:46 PM
I like Conley. Id trade Enrique for him in a heartbeat tbh.

RsxPiimp
12-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Thomas was never a true pg.

He was in the archibald iverson ilk.

:lmao

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 06:33 PM
inefficient and overrated imho. his game is just too wild and based off monkeyball to ever win anything meaningful.

2 rebounds away from a triple double today but you are right,,, his shooting needs big improvement but that will come over time. Again,,,he's only 24 and the best is yet to come barring injury.

Calispursfan11
12-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Tbh I think Isiah was a true PG. There were PGs like the Glove and others who had other talents but still distributed the ball in the traditional sense, running their teams like a QB, but it has become a lost art where top PGs are getting around 6-7 assists per game (still decent but not what you'd consider traditional elite PG distribution). Without considering Paul who is a current player, I think Jason Kidd was the last truly great true PG. Stockton is of course the blueprint for the term itself.

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Thomas was a pure PG and one of the best to play the position.

ambchang
12-07-2014, 07:03 PM
:lmao

You've obviously never seen him play.

RsxPiimp
12-07-2014, 07:11 PM
You've obviously never seen him play.

I have seen him play. I don't know how you can compare Isiah to Iverson's though. That idea is longer than Mr. Fantastic's reach.

ambchang
12-07-2014, 07:14 PM
I have seen him play. I don't know how you can compare Isiah to Iverson's though. That idea is longer than Mr. Fantastic's reach.

He's not as much of a scorer as iverson, but both are score first PGs who relies greatly on their speed and athleticism.

He's not the same, but the same ilk. Tim Hardaway and Kevin Johnson are in the same family of PGs.

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Thomas is a shoot first PG?,,,,,LMAO. He has over 9,000 assists in 13 years in the NBA. Iverson has over 5k in a longer period. And check Johnson and Hardaway,,,both are at about 7k.,,,do you even watch basketball?

BatManu20
12-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Cp3 and Rondo when healthy.

Not many true PG's anymore though. All hybrid/scorings PG's now.

RsxPiimp
12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
He's not as much of a scorer as iverson, but both are score first PGs who relies greatly on their speed and athleticism.

He's not the same, but the same ilk. Tim Hardaway and Kevin Johnson are in the same family of PGs.
Speed, yes. Athleticism, maybe. Score first? Doubtful.

Thomas averaged double figures in APG in 4 straight seasons with a career high of 13.9 in one year. Iverson never came close to that. Thomas career FGA was 16, Iverson was 21.8.

Thomas was definitely not a shoot first PG like Iverson, he had 2-3 seasons where the Pistons relied more on his scoring but overall he was a point guard in it's truest sense in his era (responsible for getting his team into its offense, making sure all of the players are aware of their roles on the floor, and, above all, creating scoring opportunities for both the players around him, and himself—in that order. )

100%duncan
12-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Who cares if they are true or not? What is true anyway? :lol

ambchang
12-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Thomas is a shoot first PG?,,,,,LMAO. He has over 9,000 assists in 13 years in the NBA. Iverson has over 5k in a longer period. And check Johnson and Hardaway,,,both are at about 7k.,,,do you even watch basketball?

Speed, yes. Athleticism, maybe. Score first? Doubtful.

Thomas averaged double figures in APG in 4 straight seasons with a career high of 13.9 in one year. Iverson never came close to that. Thomas career FGA was 16, Iverson was 21.8.

Thomas was definitely not a shoot first PG like Iverson, he had 2-3 seasons where the Pistons relied more on his scoring but overall he was a point guard in it's truest sense in his era (responsible for getting his team into its offense, making sure all of the players are aware of their roles on the floor, and, above all, creating scoring opportunities for both the players around him, and himself—in that order. )

Tiny archibald led the league in assists as well. Doesn't make him a pass first PG.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Overall, right now IMO:

1. Curry
2. Westbrook
3. Paul
(can rank them in any order)
4. Lowry
5. Conley
6. Lillard
7. Irving
8. Wall
9. Parker
10. Williams

100%duncan
12-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Overall, right now IMO:

1. Curry
2. Westbrook
3. Paul
(can rank them in any order)
4. Lowry
5. Conley
6. Lillard
7. Irving
8. Wall
9. Parker
10. Williams

Pretty much though if healthy and when it matters, Westbrook is the best.

da_suns_fan
12-07-2014, 09:12 PM

Jesus.

Yeah...John Wall averages same amount off assists. Problem is he averages more than twice as many turnovers as Chris Paul. In terms of shooting, Chris Paul blows Wall away.

Paul's shooting 56% from two. John wall is at 45%.

Paul's shooting 45% from three. John wall is at 32%.

Pauls TS% is 64% (ridiculous). Wall is at 51%.

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=211&player_ids%5B%5D=348&season=2014

The only thing Wall does better is getting to the free throw line. In every other way Paul is significantly better than Wall (an every other freaking point guard in the league).

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Tiny archibald led the league in assists as well. Doesn't make him a pass first PG.

You just hate being wrong don't ya, Arm? Bringing up an obscure Tiny to try and prove a point about Thomas when you were clinging to Iverson,,,you go down swingin' even though you are wrong most of the time,,,,Tiny played 13 years like Thomas but only had 6k assists,,,Thomas had 9k,,,try again, Arm,,,I'll wait,,,,

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Jesus.

Yeah...John Wall averages same amount off assists. Problem is he averages more than twice as many turnovers as Chris Paul. In terms of shooting, Chris Paul blows Wall away.

Paul's shooting 56% from two. John wall is at 45%.

Paul's shooting 45% from three. John wall is at 32%.

Pauls TS% is 64% (ridiculous). Wall is at 51%.

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=211&player_ids%5B%5D=348&season=2014

The only thing Wall does better is getting to the free throw line. In every other way Paul is significantly better than Wall (an every other freaking point guard in the league).

Again,,,Wall is 24.

da_suns_fan
12-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Its basically:

1) Chris Paul
2) Steph Curry
3) Everyone else (doesnt really matter order as these two are significantly better)

da_suns_fan
12-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Again,,,Wall is 24.

By his third year Paul was already putting up good shooting numbers and had established his ridiculous assist/turnover ratio. Wall will NEVER be on Chris Paul's level.

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 09:19 PM
And nowhere did I say CP3 is a bad PG,,,but watch this kid Wall develop. He did everything Rhondo could do today and Rhondo is 28,,,CP3 is 29 and Wall is doing just as much but needs to improve his shooting.

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 09:22 PM
By his third year Paul was already putting up good shooting numbers and had established his ridiculous assist/turnover ratio. Wall will NEVER be on Chris Paul's level.

Speculaton its best,,,time will tell. I've seen CP3 choke more games than Wall ever will,,how about that speculation?

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 09:56 PM
And Chris Paul would have to average almost 900 assists for the next 3 seasons to catch Thomas at 9k over 13 seasons and Paul has never had over 1k assists in a season but some clown on here thinks Thomas was a shoot first PG. And for those that think Wall wont win titles,,,tell me what Stockton and CP3 have won,,,I'll wait,,,,

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
John Wall is a PG that can't shoot, which is essentially a death sentence in the NBA:lol..

We already saw what he looks like in the playoffs, he was completely exposed as an offensive player last year, even with the Wizards advancing..he's very easy to game-plan for..

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 10:10 PM
So Wall is done at the age of 24?,,,Malik how have your predictions fared so far,,,,?

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 10:16 PM
So Wall is done at the age of 24?,,,Malik how have your predictions fared so far,,,,?

Pretty great, actually..I probably hit at least 7/10 of my predictions here, tbh:lol..

There aren't many examples of PGs that can't shoot that developed a reliable jump shot later in their career, unless they became role players at an older age(which means they're no longer stars, obviously)..

Arcadian
12-07-2014, 10:16 PM
i don't care if my players are "true" anything. i just want them to be good. is tim duncan a "true" power forward, or his he a PF/C?

Yeah, in this context, "true" is taken to mean "traditional." But traditional is not necessarily good. If anything, it's outdated.

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Pretty great, actually..I probably hit at least 7/10 of my predictions here, tbh:lol..

There aren't many examples of PGs that can't shoot that developed a reliable jump shot later in their career, unless they became role players at an older age(which means they're no longer stars, obviously)..

Ok,,,I'll put you on point. Which 4 teams will be in the West/East Finals and which two are in the Finals,,,,I bet you wont hit above 30 percent right.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Ok,,,I'll put you on point. Which 4 teams will be in the West/East Finals and which two are in the Finals,,,,I bet you wont hit above 30 percent right.

I called Spurs-Heat and Spurs in 5 last year, and I called Miami winning the previous 2(easy predictions, of course), picking Finals teams usually isn't difficult, at all:lol..

Barring injury, I'll go with Spurs-Warriors/Cavs-Bulls..

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I called Spurs-Heat and Spurs in 5 last year, and I called Miami winning the previous 2(easy predictions, of course), picking Finals teams usually isn't difficult, at all:lol..

Barring injury, I'll go with Spurs-Warriors/Cavs-Bulls..

OK,,,barring injury,,,you got Spurs-Warriors/Cavs-Bulls,,,now who do you have going to the Finals?,,,thats part of the question.

ambchang
12-07-2014, 11:18 PM
You just hate being wrong don't ya, Arm? Bringing up an obscure Tiny to try and prove a point about Thomas when you were clinging to Iverson,,,you go down swingin' even though you are wrong most of the time,,,,Tiny played 13 years like Thomas but only had 6k assists,,,Thomas had 9k,,,try again, Arm,,,I'll wait,,,,

Tiny is obscure? He's the only player in nba history to lead the nba in assists and scoring in the same season. He's the first great little scorer in the league.

That man was phenomenal and quick, like Isiah. Thomas wasn't the same as iverson, he's the same ilk. There's a difference, a huge difference between this two claims.

Archibald, Thomas, KJ, Tim Hardaway, iverson, Westbrook. Those are guys who rely on their incredible athletic abilities to be a scoring threat for their teams, but also happen to play PG because of their small size. On the other hand, Cousy, magic, Stockton, mark price, Kidd are players who look to pass first second and third, with scoring being something they can do but not look to do first.

You kept talking about assists as if it me at anything. How about FGA. Isiah had 15904 FGA and archibald had 12,628. Isiah averaged 16.2 FGA a game for his career and even players like KJ (12.2, went down after he got hurt), Tim Hardaway (15.5) and tiny archibald (14.4) averaged around those numbers.

Players like Stockton (10.3), Kidd (11.2) and magic (13.2) have less than those.

I am not even sure how you can be so sure I am wrong. What is wrong about classifying Thomas as a score first PG? Anybody who ever watched him play knew he will drive the lane for scoring opportunities, and he's unstoppable when his jumper is on.

Isaiah's highest shooting season was 19 FGA a game in his second season. No other true pg even comes close to that number.

HemisfairArena
12-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Tiny is obscure? He's the only player in nba history to lead the nba in assists and scoring in the same season. He's the first great little scorer in the league.

That man was phenomenal and quick, like Isiah. Thomas wasn't the same as iverson, he's the same ilk. There's a difference, a huge difference between this two claims.

Archibald, Thomas, KJ, Tim Hardaway, iverson, Westbrook. Those are guys who rely on their incredible athletic abilities to be a scoring threat for their teams, but also happen to play PG because of their small size. On the other hand, Cousy, magic, Stockton, mark price, Kidd are players who look to pass first second and third, with scoring being something they can do but not look to do first.

You kept talking about assists as if it me at anything. How about FGA. Isiah had 15904 FGA and archibald had 12,628. Isiah averaged 16.2 FGA a game for his career and even players like KJ (12.2, went down after he got hurt), Tim Hardaway (15.5) and tiny archibald (14.4) averaged around those numbers.

Players like Stockton (10.3), Kidd (11.2) and magic (13.2) have less than those.

I am not even sure how you can be so sure I am wrong. What is wrong about classifying Thomas as a score first PG? Anybody who ever watched him play knew he will drive the lane for scoring opportunities, and he's unstoppable when his jumper is on.

Isaiah's highest shooting season was 19 FGA a game in his second season. No other true pg even comes close to that number.

You're bringing up one year of Tiny to try and prove your point,,,small sample size, kid. Let me know when he has 9k assists like Thomas.

sook
12-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Lowry has been playing better than CP3.

Mr Bones
12-08-2014, 02:30 AM
Curry is a great shooter, but he is also 6th in the league in assists per game. I'd call him a true point guard because he usually makes the right play, which is what a PG floor general should do.

ambchang
12-08-2014, 08:32 AM
You're bringing up one year of Tiny to try and prove your point,,,small sample size, kid. Let me know when he has 9k assists like Thomas.

Hey, great response to all the FGA (Career) from Tim Hardaway, Tony Archibald, Kevin Johnson, Stockton, Kidd and Magic, some of the best PGs in the game in the last 40 years! It's just a small sample size.

And Gary Payton had 8966 assists in his career. He sure as hell wasn't a pure PG like Stockton or Magic, but he fell 34 assists short of the magical 9k mark, so he doesn't count. Tim Hardaway had 7095 assists in his career, and Tim Hardaway is as shoot first as they come as a PG, but let's dismiss him because he didn't get 9K assists, never mind that he wasn't as good as Isiah Thomas so naturally he didn't put up those stats, and never mind that he shot the ball 13076 times in his career compared to 15904 times Isiah did.

I am not even sure why you are so offended Thomas was in the ilk of those phenomenal scoring PG, and being the best of that bunch. He was a little guy, who drives into the teeth of the defense every trip down without fear, and can score with the best of them. he was basically unguardable when his mid range jumper was on, and he used it to his advantage. Could he see the floor well? Sure! But his bread and butter is to knife through the lane, and break down the defense with his quickness and ability to score, just like Archibald before him, and Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, and Allen Iverson after him.

tlongII
12-09-2014, 12:03 AM
I'll take Lillard over anybody else. Dude has never missed a game since joining the league.

horsielove
12-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Who cares if they are true or not? What is true anyway? :lol

"True" point guards are the pass first ringless faggots i.e. Stockton and C.Paul. Seriously, this "true" pointguard, "pure" shooter, "per 36" has to stop. Specially with the per 36, there's a reason why they don't play 36minutes people.

horsielove
12-09-2014, 12:12 AM
I'll take Lillard over anybody else. Dude has never missed a game since joining the league.

Let's call their group as "Injury dodgers" point guard.